Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

My unpopular opinions about Halo 5

OP S2N LORDFIST

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
Lord Solen wrote:
Lord Solen wrote:
With all due respect OP, we've never fired from the hip. We were constantly, accurately aiming thanks to an ocular implant that projected a real-time crosshair that calculated the accuracy of our next shot.
Yes indeed. I laugh every time someone supports ads in halo due to lore, when the lore dictates it's completely unnecessary in the first place. The original zoom function made perfect sense for gameplay, and fit the lore. Not that lore should ever dictate gameplay, but it worked out nonetheless. Not to mention other things like Spartans sprinting + shooting at the same time for example (in lore), which we all know would be terrible for gameplay....
And besides, while I don't mind sprint, shouldn't one assume Spartans are moving at full speed at all times? That's kinda the point of base movement speed.

People wouldn't even think of it as hipfiring if ADS wasn't such a ubiquitous mechanic. Old days we picked up a gun, pointed it and used it. Now we gotta pick it up and aim it, slow ourselves down, narrow and zoom our view- which is not how looking down sights works so it's not realistic anyway...
YES!! It disgusts me to think people believe that when you aim a weapon, half the weapon blocks your view, and you still see the full scope or sight! That's absurd! Spartans especially do not need to do this, and in terms of "immersion" the Zoom function is light years ahead of ADS due to not blocking your view much (back in the early days of FPS game design, ADS was seen as bad due to blocking players vision, a big no-no) and making sense with how spartans visors work. In further points for gameplay, it allows you to increase target acquisition, without increasing base accuracy! Unlike ADS.Literally no positives to smart scope, the only weapon I like it on is the sword.
I agree with about 98% of what you said. I absolutely can't stand ADS style zooming. I want it gone from Halo. I have my opinions on all the other mechanics, but I'll get into that in a other post. H5 ADS style zooming might be my most hated thing in H5 as far as mechanics go. It adds nothing to the game, in fact it turns it now looks like every other FPS out there. Before, Halo set itself apart with something that was unique, the old zooming style, now it just blends in with all the FPS. It's so sad and legitimately makes me mad that people at 343I though this was a good direction to go in Halo.

I agree that the old style zoom was way better and makes more sense. From a gameplay point of view especially but even lore wise (gameplay wise shouldn't be based on lore, but when they both add up, then it's a plus!) You could easily update the old zoom style too. Think Ironman or Terminator when they zoom in.

The part I disagree with you on is that melee weapons, in this case sword, having zoom. No melee weapon should have any kind of zoom at all in my opinion. It's makes those weapons have ridiculous range, and on top of it, it's just a plain dumb idea I feel.
In regard to the sword, the zoom range can easily be reduced at any time. I just like the dynamic it adds to the sword, as it has been getting stale over the years, not to mention there was nothing worse than swinging while reticle was red, and getting no lunge.
Ya, you can fix the range by removing zoom on melee weapons making them how they were ;) not to mention, if your going to reduce the range like you said, then why even have zoom? Sounds like to me you just want melee weapons to have more range. Melee weapons we're fine before and weren't stale to me at all. Adding a zoom function is redundant. Not sure what you mean when you say it goes red and you don't lunge... Maybe lag there.
What I meant by that was "accuracy". Without zooming with the sword, it is very easy to miss an opportunity to lunge. With the zoom, you can keep the red crosshairs on the opponent to ensure a lunge with aim. The range I couldn't care more or less for.
Lord Solen wrote:
Lord Solen wrote:
With all due respect OP, we've never fired from the hip. We were constantly, accurately aiming thanks to an ocular implant that projected a real-time crosshair that calculated the accuracy of our next shot.
Yes indeed. I laugh every time someone supports ads in halo due to lore, when the lore dictates it's completely unnecessary in the first place. The original zoom function made perfect sense for gameplay, and fit the lore. Not that lore should ever dictate gameplay, but it worked out nonetheless. Not to mention other things like Spartans sprinting + shooting at the same time for example (in lore), which we all know would be terrible for gameplay....
And besides, while I don't mind sprint, shouldn't one assume Spartans are moving at full speed at all times? That's kinda the point of base movement speed.

People wouldn't even think of it as hipfiring if ADS wasn't such a ubiquitous mechanic. Old days we picked up a gun, pointed it and used it. Now we gotta pick it up and aim it, slow ourselves down, narrow and zoom our view- which is not how looking down sights works so it's not realistic anyway...
YES!! It disgusts me to think people believe that when you aim a weapon, half the weapon blocks your view, and you still see the full scope or sight! That's absurd! Spartans especially do not need to do this, and in terms of "immersion" the Zoom function is light years ahead of ADS due to not blocking your view much (back in the early days of FPS game design, ADS was seen as bad due to blocking players vision, a big no-no) and making sense with how spartans visors work. In further points for gameplay, it allows you to increase target acquisition, without increasing base accuracy! Unlike ADS.Literally no positives to smart scope, the only weapon I like it on is the sword.
I agree with about 98% of what you said. I absolutely can't stand ADS style zooming. I want it gone from Halo. I have my opinions on all the other mechanics, but I'll get into that in a other post. H5 ADS style zooming might be my most hated thing in H5 as far as mechanics go. It adds nothing to the game, in fact it turns it now looks like every other FPS out there. Before, Halo set itself apart with something that was unique, the old zooming style, now it just blends in with all the FPS. It's so sad and legitimately makes me mad that people at 343I though this was a good direction to go in Halo.

I agree that the old style zoom was way better and makes more sense. From a gameplay point of view especially but even lore wise (gameplay wise shouldn't be based on lore, but when they both add up, then it's a plus!) You could easily update the old zoom style too. Think Ironman or Terminator when they zoom in.

The part I disagree with you on is that melee weapons, in this case sword, having zoom. No melee weapon should have any kind of zoom at all in my opinion. It's makes those weapons have ridiculous range, and on top of it, it's just a plain dumb idea I feel.
In regard to the sword, the zoom range can easily be reduced at any time. I just like the dynamic it adds to the sword, as it has been getting stale over the years, not to mention there was nothing worse than swinging while reticle was red, and getting no lunge.
Ya, you can fix the range by removing zoom on melee weapons making them how they were ;) not to mention, if your going to reduce the range like you said, then why even have zoom? Sounds like to me you just want melee weapons to have more range. Melee weapons we're fine before and weren't stale to me at all. Adding a zoom function is redundant. Not sure what you mean when you say it goes red and you don't lunge... Maybe lag there.
What I meant by that was "accuracy". Without zooming with the sword, it is very easy to miss an opportunity to lunge. With the zoom, you can keep the red crosshairs on the opponent to ensure a lunge with aim. The range I couldn't care more or less for.
Well, it shouldn't be super easy to hit them, you do have a 1 hit kill weapon after all lol Ok, it sounds like to me you want them to have a bigger reticule then. Can't say I agree with that, but this can be accomplished easily without any form of zoom enhancement.
Lord Solen wrote:
Lord Solen wrote:
With all due respect OP, we've never fired from the hip. We were constantly, accurately aiming thanks to an ocular implant that projected a real-time crosshair that calculated the accuracy of our next shot.
Yes indeed. I laugh every time someone supports ads in halo due to lore, when the lore dictates it's completely unnecessary in the first place. The original zoom function made perfect sense for gameplay, and fit the lore. Not that lore should ever dictate gameplay, but it worked out nonetheless. Not to mention other things like Spartans sprinting + shooting at the same time for example (in lore), which we all know would be terrible for gameplay....
And besides, while I don't mind sprint, shouldn't one assume Spartans are moving at full speed at all times? That's kinda the point of base movement speed.

People wouldn't even think of it as hipfiring if ADS wasn't such a ubiquitous mechanic. Old days we picked up a gun, pointed it and used it. Now we gotta pick it up and aim it, slow ourselves down, narrow and zoom our view- which is not how looking down sights works so it's not realistic anyway...
YES!! It disgusts me to think people believe that when you aim a weapon, half the weapon blocks your view, and you still see the full scope or sight! That's absurd! Spartans especially do not need to do this, and in terms of "immersion" the Zoom function is light years ahead of ADS due to not blocking your view much (back in the early days of FPS game design, ADS was seen as bad due to blocking players vision, a big no-no) and making sense with how spartans visors work. In further points for gameplay, it allows you to increase target acquisition, without increasing base accuracy! Unlike ADS.Literally no positives to smart scope, the only weapon I like it on is the sword.
I agree with about 98% of what you said. I absolutely can't stand ADS style zooming. I want it gone from Halo. I have my opinions on all the other mechanics, but I'll get into that in a other post. H5 ADS style zooming might be my most hated thing in H5 as far as mechanics go. It adds nothing to the game, in fact it turns it now looks like every other FPS out there. Before, Halo set itself apart with something that was unique, the old zooming style, now it just blends in with all the FPS. It's so sad and legitimately makes me mad that people at 343I though this was a good direction to go in Halo.

I agree that the old style zoom was way better and makes more sense. From a gameplay point of view especially but even lore wise (gameplay wise shouldn't be based on lore, but when they both add up, then it's a plus!) You could easily update the old zoom style too. Think Ironman or Terminator when they zoom in.

The part I disagree with you on is that melee weapons, in this case sword, having zoom. No melee weapon should have any kind of zoom at all in my opinion. It's makes those weapons have ridiculous range, and on top of it, it's just a plain dumb idea I feel.
In regard to the sword, the zoom range can easily be reduced at any time. I just like the dynamic it adds to the sword, as it has been getting stale over the years, not to mention there was nothing worse than swinging while reticle was red, and getting no lunge.
Ya, you can fix the range by removing zoom on melee weapons making them how they were ;) not to mention, if your going to reduce the range like you said, then why even have zoom? Sounds like to me you just want melee weapons to have more range. Melee weapons we're fine before and weren't stale to me at all. Adding a zoom function is redundant. Not sure what you mean when you say it goes red and you don't lunge... Maybe lag there.
What I meant by that was "accuracy". Without zooming with the sword, it is very easy to miss an opportunity to lunge. With the zoom, you can keep the red crosshairs on the opponent to ensure a lunge with aim. The range I couldn't care more or less for.
Well, it shouldn't be super easy to hit them, you do have a 1 hit kill weapon after all lol Ok, it sounds like to me you want them to have a bigger reticule then. Can't say I agree with that, but this can be accomplished easily without any form of zoom enhancement.
Not at all, it will be no different than the zoom on a shotgun.
DoubleSama wrote:
I agree with alot, but not all of what you said. I enjoy the game, but my main issue is the campaign and armor issue
What are the campaign and armor issues?
sorry for replying late, i needed to wait to be able to post.

The armor issue is the messy armor selection, the inability to sort them in any way besides when you unlocked them, and the customization being restricted.
My campaign issue is the AIs, and thd way it is played. The AI Spartas should be un -killable like in Reach, because how Reach assisted but didn't baby the player was good. The killable AIs are a bit.. well, they don't help in my opinion.
Imo certain weapons shouldn't have smart link....why do you need to have an aim mechanic with a sword or hammer?
DoubleSama wrote:
I agree with alot, but not all of what you said. I enjoy the game, but my main issue is the campaign and armor issue
What are the campaign and armor issues?
sorry for replying late, i needed to wait to be able to post.

The armor issue is the messy armor selection, the inability to sort them in any way besides when you unlocked them, and the customization being restricted.
My campaign issue is the AIs, and thd way it is played. The AI Spartas should be un -killable like in Reach, because how Reach assisted but didn't baby the player was good. The killable AIs are a bit.. well, they don't help in my opinion.
NOBLE Team absolutely babied you in the Campaign. They couldn't die, they Armor Locked at signs of danger, very useful distractions, and can kill things. Give it enough time and they can eventually kill any unshielded opponent.

The only thing that prevented them from being overpowered was the fact that you can't give them weapons to use all day.

In Long Night of Solace you can clear the beach on Legendary without ever firing a shot.
I like most of it. I'd sooner get rid of Spartan Charge and smart-link, though. Spartan charge is a gimmick; a fancy animation for slightly modified melee mechanics, and I don't even like the modified mechanics much (just encourages people to sprint at people instead of shooting them). Smart-link is "all weapons have a scope that slightly improves spread and damage-over-distance," and that strikes me as unnecessary over-complication that doesn't add much.

S'pose I could also see the removal of sprint, replacing it with letting the spartan base run speed be faster. Same deal as smart-link; over-complication. Bugs me less, not that smart-link bugs me much.
I highly agree with you. However I think future Halo installments should feature separate playlists with either classic or Halo 5 gameplay mechanics. Players can can even have the option of making custom games with the gameplay mechanics of their choice, it's a win-win for every Halo fan.
It's funny how people cry about CoD because it never changes, then people cry about Halo because it is changing. I agree with OP, change is good, grow up you privileged spoiled brats.
Have you ever taken the time to consider that not all change is good change?
It's funny how people cry about CoD because it never changes, then people cry about Halo because it is changing. I agree with OP, change is good, grow up you privileged spoiled brats.
Have you ever taken the time to consider that not all change is good change?
I agree. "Change is good" is about the most petty dismissal I've seen... and I've seen some pretty damn petty dismissals in my time here.

Not to mention; Privileged spoiled brats? Seriously? Maybe if my mommy bought me the console and this game and handed it to me, then I just got mad and threw a fit because I was bored or hated the game after a day or so, that statement would apply.

I have news. I'm much, much too old for that scenario. I sit in my own house, on my own console and I [used to] play this game... bought with my own -Yoinking!- money. The point at which my $ transferred from me to the seller, was where that 'privileged spoiled brat' nonsense clunked as it hit the sides of the trash can it belongs in and I became something known as a "paying customer" who can either be happy or unhappy with a product I paid for.

Personally, I'm not a fan of a lot of the newer things added, as well as the general direction this game has gone. I mean it seems like the core gameplay is solid, but it's just buried in a layer of unnecessary fluff mechanics that were simply thrown at it in a "let's see what sticks" fashion... in an effort to keep the status quo with modern FPS... as opposed to making its own mark on them.
Although I somewhat agree, there are some things that I disagree with. Halo 5's multiplayer is by far my favorite, mostly because I like fast paced FPS games (Even though I started gaming on older Halos). Spartan Charge in multiplayer is absolutely stupid. Maybe it's fun, but holy crap it's unbelievably annoying in matchmaking when someone is literally running around waiting to Charge. Hell, when I get Spartan Charged and I win the fight, I teabag them.

Also, if there isn't recoil, the game would be a lot more unbalanced. Lore shouldn't dictate gameplay. Yes, I agree Smart-Link should increase accuracy, but with automatics, the range shouldn't increase at all.
I agree with you, I really enjoy playing H5, and I have been a Halo fan the whole way through. There are some things campaign-wise I would like them to change, but I still enjoyed it. My worry now is that they will swing too far back the other way and they won't take any more chances and eventually the game will just die out.
I'm glad someone has such a positive outlook on the game as well. I think 343i has done has a fabulous job with this latest title and even though Halo 4 wasn't the best game that was ever released, it was far better than Reach (mainly due to the bloom.) I'm just so glad we have the competitive features back.
DoubleSama wrote:
I agree with alot, but not all of what you said. I enjoy the game, but my main issue is the campaign and armor issue
What are the campaign and armor issues?
sorry for replying late, i needed to wait to be able to post.

The armor issue is the messy armor selection, the inability to sort them in any way besides when you unlocked them, and the customization being restricted.
My campaign issue is the AIs, and thd way it is played. The AI Spartas should be un -killable like in Reach, because how Reach assisted but didn't baby the player was good. The killable AIs are a bit.. well, they don't help in my opinion.
I understand your complaint about the armor, but I disagree on the AI. I felt that the AI made this game too easy. It was definitely the easiest game for me to complete Legendary solo thanks to the AI.
It's funny how people cry about CoD because it never changes, then people cry about Halo because it is changing. I agree with OP, change is good, grow up you privileged spoiled brats.
Have you ever taken the time to consider that not all change is good change?
I agree. "Change is good" is about the most petty dismissal I've seen... and I've seen some pretty damn petty dismissals in my time here.

Not to mention; Privileged spoiled brats? Seriously? Maybe if my mommy bought me the console and this game and handed it to me, then I just got mad and threw a fit because I was bored or hated the game after a day or so, that statement would apply.

I have news. I'm much, much too old for that scenario. I sit in my own house, on my own console and I [used to] play this game... bought with my own -Yoinking!- money. The point at which my $ transferred from me to the seller, was where that 'privileged spoiled brat' nonsense clunked as it hit the sides of the trash can it belongs in and I became something known as a "paying customer" who can either be happy or unhappy with a product I paid for.

Personally, I'm not a fan of a lot of the newer things added, as well as the general direction this game has gone. I mean it seems like the core gameplay is solid, but it's just buried in a layer of unnecessary fluff mechanics that were simply thrown at it in a "let's see what sticks" fashion... in an effort to keep the status quo with modern FPS... as opposed to making its own mark on them.
I'm glad I don't actually think like that... yes, that was a test.
  • VERY appropriate answer while also being aggressive, nice.
  • Yes, I took time to consider, all I do is think, change can VERY bad, I definitely know that.
  • Finaly, yeah... I prefer the Halo I grew up with, I've just come to accept how it is now.
Thank you for falling for my fake beleifs, you can be glad that I won't create a stupid test like this again. I'm sorry if you were offended.
As you may have deduced from my implied age, I'm not in school and haven't been for a very long time.
  • VERY appropriate place to have an impromptu "test", nice.
  • I am here to participate in a discussion, not take tests.
  • Finally, yeah... I too prefer the Halo... well, I was pretty much grown when it released, I just have a hard time accepting "what" it has become now.
Thank you for admitting that you're willing to deceive people, you can be glad that I won't take any more of your posts seriously. Sorry if you are offended.
DoubleSama wrote:
After looking at the rankings of people who have commented on this post, I'm interested in hearing what Onyx/Champion ranked players have to say on the subject. I haven't looked at everyone's rank, but Plat/Diamond seems to be the average. I think having input from higher ranked players would be useful for this discussion as well as lower ranked players. Maybe these mechanics help new players more than they do those who are at our ranks or above. This post isn't meant to insult anyone's ranking. I just would like to know how players of different ranks feel.

Also how do players who are new to the Halo franchise feel about these mechanics?
Ive played halo since combat evolved and had barely ever played multiplayer because i would just get pub stomped everytime. Halo is the game that always brings me back to gaming. Im gold level player in halo 5 and i do feel this game is easier to play, which is why i think people that used to go around pub stomping everyone dont like because now players can fight back. Especially nowadays where there is input lag on tvs, making the game easier to play and more noob friendly is a good idea.
I agree with alot, but not all of what you said. I enjoy the game, but my main issue is the campaign and armor issue
Oh man, Don't get me started on the armor in the game haha. The customization is a huge step back and A LOT of the armors just look terrible. The campaign was also bad, I was hoping to see Chief in his Poncho in the middle of the desert. There was so much Hype surrounding the trailers for the game and none of it was true.
I highly agree with you. However I think future Halo installments should feature separate playlists with either classic or Halo 5 gameplay mechanics. Players can can even have the option of making custom games with the gameplay mechanics of their choice, it's a win-win for every Halo fan.
Exactly. I Love these new changes and I wish there would be separate playlists or separate lobbies that have both classic movement and this new movement. That way, everyone wins and Halo gets back where it needs to be. But even if they do that, it will never fix the community. There will always be a divided community of people calling each other names because they support one thing or they don't.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5