Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Nerf Magnum, boost Assault Rifle

OP Merjan1

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
In my opinion assault rifle is practically useless, instead the Magnum is excesively powerful and with too much pointed automatic.
No thanks. If anything increase the BR range slightly and leave all other weapons as is
Oh god. The assault rifle is good enough as it is. The magnum doesn't need any changes
For gods sake, no. The automatics in this game are allredy extremly powerful.
Do no such thing. The pistol has always been powerful from day 1. It is just a given
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
The Assault Rifle already got a buff, which gave it a 200% headshot multiplier to un-shielded enemies and increased it's base rate of fire by 5%. This was given to the Assault Rifle in the same patch that nerfed the Battle Rifle to it's horrendous current state. The Magnum is fine as it is, that's why hardly anything has been done to the Magnum over Halo 5's lifespan. The Battle Rifle is the only weapon that needs some adjusting imo.

The patch made the Assault Rifle a more skillful weapon. The patch reduced the aim-assist "stickiness" in close quarters, changed the effectiveness of bullet magnetism at longer ranges, decreased the base damage, and changed the Outer and inner-reticle value among other things. These changes now require players to actually have good accuracy to hit that 200% damage headshot and not solely rely on aim-assist and bullet magnetism, raising the Assault Rifle's skill ceiling.
They're done with weapon updates so you're out of luck. Anyway, the AR is fine as it is now. Try aiming for the head more when you use it.
The AR is perfect IMO. It takes skill to get a kill, but is useless mid-long range. Only whip it out in close quarters or you are going to have a bad game.
Dankheili wrote:
The Assault Rifle already got a buff, which gave it a 200% headshot multiplier to un-shielded enemies and increased it's base rate of fire by 5%. This was given to the Assault Rifle in the same patch that nerfed the Battle Rifle to it's horrendous current state. The Magnum is fine as it is, that's why hardly anything has been done to the Magnum over Halo 5's lifespan. The Battle Rifle is the only weapon that needs some adjusting imo.

The patch made the Assault Rifle a more skillful weapon. The patch reduced the aim-assist "stickiness" in close quarters, changed the effectiveness of bullet magnetism at longer ranges, decreased the base damage, and changed the Outer and inner-reticle value among other things. These changes now require players to actually have good accuracy to hit that 200% damage headshot and not solely rely on aim-assist and bullet magnetism, raising the Assault Rifle's skill ceiling.
The real question is, what's it's kill time compared to the magnum? The AR is just as useful in CQB as the magnum. While they changed the AR to be a precision weapon, the pistol has better range and accuracy. I think the original AR would have been fine if sprint wasn't in the game.
oh god no please no no no don't please omg no
The AR shouldn't even have a headshot multiplier in the first place, it does not need any more buffs. The magnum has a tad too much range in my opinion but that's it.
The AR is perfect IMO. It takes skill to get a kill, but is useless mid-long range. Only whip it out in close quarters or you are going to have a bad game.
It is NOT useless mid-long range. TBH, an AR, especially one with a scope, aimed for the head, is superior to a battle rifle for time to kill due to headset multipliers and the god awful crap that is ADS. If the weapon doesn't have a scope, you should have ZOOM, not a tighter bullet spread; only Carbines, Hydras, DMRs, and the like should have ADS with accuracy boosts. No automatic should have ADS accuracy boosts in a Halo game.
To all the people saying it got a buff...how?

Sure it has a bigger headshot multiplier overall but it still takes 13 shots to kill when before it was 12 with the last shots going for the head.

It now takes 20 shots to kill as opposed to 15.

It now takes more shots to pop shields making it harder to shield beat down than before.

The reticule is now smaller with you having to land more shots with a harder to aim gun, almost to the point to where it’s impractical and easier to use the magnum instead.

You have to time the bursts now better than before to be effective. To much and it spreads too much, too little and it does poor damage.

What is everyone talking about?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
So the general feel of this thread is pretty clear. We need to increase the assault rifle damage by 200% and nerf the pistol so that the TTK is over 6 seconds.

/s

But seriously, LUKEPOWA is right. The weapons are fairly balanced according to the general consensus of this thread and they aren't planning any weapon updates for the time being.
Dankheili wrote:

dude, the AR doesnt have a skill ceiling. AR is easy to use and kill with, and now has a headshot multiplier to help the terrible players.
<blockquote class="box-quote" data-username="SirInge516" data-postid="13">
<blockquote class="box-quote specific specific9" data-username="FlakMaster87" data-postid="9">
<p>The AR is perfect IMO. It takes skill to get a kill, but is useless mid-long range. Only whip it out in close quarters or you are going to have a bad game.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>It is NOT useless mid-long range. TBH, an AR, especially one with a scope, aimed for the head, is superior to a battle rifle for time to kill due to headset multipliers and the god awful crap that is ADS. If the weapon doesn't have a scope, you should have ZOOM, not a tighter bullet spread; only Carbines, Hydras, DMRs, and the like should have ADS with accuracy boosts. No automatic should have ADS accuracy boosts in a Halo game.</p>
</blockquote>

Sorry, I don't play warzone. I forgot there were other variations. In standard matchmaking it is useless mid to long range vs. other mid to long range weapons. ADS is perfectly fine on the automatics. Of course if you really want to get picky, go ahead, but I am obviously generalizing here so it would be moot to do so..
To all the people saying it got a buff...how?

Sure it has a bigger headshot multiplier overall but it still takes 13 shots to kill when before it was 12 with the last shots going for the head.

It now takes 20 shots to kill as opposed to 15.

It now takes more shots to pop shields making it harder to shield beat down than before.

The reticule is now smaller with you having to land more shots with a harder to aim gun, almost to the point to where it’s impractical and easier to use the magnum instead.

You have to time the bursts now better than before to be effective. To much and it spreads too much, too little and it does poor damage.

What is everyone talking about?
13 shots versus 12 is NOTHING for an automatic. It's barely any more time for the same rate of fire- and the rate of fire was buffed. 20 as opposed to 15 is significant for the same rate- but the rate isn't the same, it's increased by a fair amount. Don't tell me that it's too hard to aim for the head and get that 13 bullet kill- if you can't aim for the head, why are you playing... any FPS game, really? More shots to pop shields, sure, but those shots come out faster. Therefore, same (or similar) time to pop. Also, god forbid you have to do something other than spray aimlessly with the AR to get kills. It actually takes a modicum of skill! Dear lord whatever shall we do?!1!1!!?/? At far range and even mid range, the magnum should outclass the AR. This has been the case since Halo CE, but it isn't anymore. TBH, with the despicable abomination that is ADS, a skilled player can use the AR to mow down some of the best players who use a magnum very effectively. I don't have a quote in mind, but this is the sentiment of many pro gamers as I understand it. The AR is already more useful than it needs to be with a larger role than it ought to have. It needs a nerf, in particular a reduction in accuracy, increase in bloom, and a significant un-tightening of the spread using ADS in Halo Infinite.
Quote:
SirInge516
13 shots versus 12 is NOTHING for an automatic.
Only if you consider full automatic, which leads to too much spreading and inconsistency for it to be reliable. Otherwise the one shot difference is a lot more noticeable if you're bursting. But regardless the argument in question is the claim that the AR was buffed. I don't think it was.
Quote:
It's barely any more time for the same rate of fire- and the rate of fire was buffed.
By 5%. If the AR could shoot 20 shots in under a second before, then after it would be able to shoot 21 shots. The difference becomes smaller with fewer shots, where if it could shoot 12 shots before in a second than it would shoot 12.6 shots with the increase, and again this is only taking into consideration full auto which is impractical for landing headshots since it becomes more about luck than control. While it is true that the spread has become tighter, it has also become more difficult to time the burst for it to be efficient. Again burst too fast and it spreads to much to be effective, burst too slow or mistime it so that it only shoots 1 bullet instead of two, and it doesn't output enough damage to compete. I don't have to worry about this with the pistol.

Quote:
20 as opposed to 15 is significant for the same rate- but the rate isn't the same, it's increased by a fair amount.
The rate of fire was increased by 5% yet you need 33% more bullets to get the job done. If the AR killed with 15 bullets at 1.3 seconds, that would mean it would fire at a rate of 11.54 bullets a second. If the AR killed with 20 bullets at 1.3 seconds, it would have to fire at a rate of 15.39 bullets per second. You would need a 33% increase in fire rate, not 5%. Overall when considering body shots it is much more weaker. They nerfed it.

You might retort with go for the head, well then in that case going full auto is not really option since it spreads too much. You gotta rely on bursting, which isn't helped much by the fire rate increase or the more bullets needed to kill.
Quote:
Don't tell me that it's too hard to aim for the head and get that 13 bullet kill- if you can't aim for the head, why are you playing... any FPS game, really?
I can literally use the pistol easier than the AR at almost any situation.
Quote:
More shots to pop shields, sure, but those shots come out faster. Therefore, same (or similar) time to pop.
Except that you have to overall keep the reticule longer on the spartan for the AR to be competitive than the magnum. You have to actively track them the entire time. With the pistol I only have to have it on the spartan the moment I pull the trigger. Like I said I have an easier time using the pistol overall, even in ranges where the AR is supposed to be at it's best.
And in the previous point I showed that it is overall much weaker, even with the slight increase in rate of fire. The rate of fire change doesn't offset the amount of shots needed to kill.
Quote:
Also, god forbid you have to do something other than spray aimlessly with the AR to get kills. It actually takes a modicum of skill! Dear lord whatever shall we do?!1!1!!?/?
Except doing that didn't work as well as bursting it, even before the update. You were more likely to die doing that unless you got the first shot or you were close enough to land all of the shots AND if the opponent missed the shots. You're thinking of the smg, which had it's own weaknesses that made it's high damage output justified. And again, I can literally use the pistol better than I can use the AR now. Hell even the H2BR after the update became the weapon with the highest ease of use with it's high bullet magnestism, excellent range, and high rate of fire with it's bullets, yet I never see anybody call that weapon a nooby weapon. I can use that weapon much more easily than I can the AR too.

Quote:
At far range and even mid range, the magnum should outclass the AR. This has been the case since Halo CE, but it isn't anymore.
Sure, but at mid range it should still be able to at least fight back, and even in close range it loses since the shield damage is so poor. There is little point to using the AR as it is when you have the magnum.

Quote:
. TBH, with the despicable abomination that is ADS, a skilled player can use the AR to mow down some of the best players who use a magnum very effectively.
No. By default the AR has less RRR range than the magnum, and anyone who is shot zooms out. If anyone is losing to an AR at long range while they have magnum, then they are not being effective as a player.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3