Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Nerf Magnum, boost Assault Rifle

OP Merjan1

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Merjan1 wrote:
In my opinion assault rifle is practically useless, instead the Magnum is excesively powerful and with too much pointed automatic.
I think the magnum really needs a nerf. Either that, or it needs to be a pickup and not a spawn weapon, like the SMG or DMR. People talk about how it's not overpowered and yet nearly everyone favors it over the AR when they spawn with both. It's no coincidence that the usage rates are so high for the magnum while the AR is treated as a designated throw away weapon.
Precision weapons will always be favored in Halo because the majority of engagements take place from mid to long range. Using precision weapons over spray weapons is a very good thing for Halo, because it leads to more skillful gun fights. Spray weapons should still have their place, but they are not meant to compete with the utility weapon in terms of usage. H5 has the most powerful spray weapons in the entire series anyway (a bit too powerful in my opinion), so I don't understand this complaint. We shouldn't want engagements to result in spray fests.
Well as of right now the automatics don't have much of a place. The ones with homing ammunition can be pretty easily dodged using thrust evade, meaning you basically get a chance to force a stalemate when you should have died. The Brute Plasma Rifle, Storm Rifle, AR, and SMG have all been nerfed severely in recent months, while the Magnum, DMR, Carbine, Light Rifle, and Halo 2 BR are more viable at nearly any range. This overlap exists for a couple reasons. First of all, in spite of adding the head shot bonus damage which some automatics possess, you still cannot BXR as fast as someone using a precision weapon. Another reason is because sustained fire is incredibly inaccurate at even close range thanks to the new bloom. This means that there is not just a tiny space between point blank and close range where you can usually beat people using precision weapons while using an automatic.

It should also be noted that precision weapons are not skillful weapons. People use them more (and it's especially pronounced in this version of Halo) because it's easier to get kills than with automatics. If you really want to put your skills to the test, try using the current AR or SMG. Meanwhile, the magnum has been overpowered since the game came out and has hardly been nerfed at all. It still kills faster than the DMR and has tremendous range for a pistol.

The problem with this whole thing is players HAVE TO spawn with 2 weapons for some weird reason. That is the complaint. Back in the day people would spawn with just a weak automatic and be forced to wander to find other more powerful weapons to build their advantage. Interestingly enough, Halo 5 pays homage to this somewhat, having a countdown timer for the power weapons to encourage battles for the better weapons. Spawning with a single, weaker automatic was the key. Because then you have variety. Take Sandtrap on Halo 3. There's 3 BRs and a laser for a team of 8. That means that half of the team is going to have to use vehicles, scout for other types of weapons like needlers, or fight over power weapons.
Quote:
SirInge516
13 shots versus 12 is NOTHING for an automatic.
Only if you consider full automatic, which leads to too much spreading and inconsistency for it to be reliable. Otherwise the one shot difference is a lot more noticeable if you're bursting. But regardless the argument in question is the claim that the AR was buffed. I don't think it was.
Quote:
It's barely any more time for the same rate of fire- and the rate of fire was buffed.
By 5%. If the AR could shoot 20 shots in under a second before, then after it would be able to shoot 21 shots. The difference becomes smaller with fewer shots, where if it could shoot 12 shots before in a second than it would shoot 12.6 shots with the increase, and again this is only taking into consideration full auto which is impractical for landing headshots since it becomes more about luck than control. While it is true that the spread has become tighter, it has also become more difficult to time the burst for it to be efficient. Again burst too fast and it spreads to much to be effective, burst too slow or mistime it so that it only shoots 1 bullet instead of two, and it doesn't output enough damage to compete. I don't have to worry about this with the pistol.

Quote:
20 as opposed to 15 is significant for the same rate- but the rate isn't the same, it's increased by a fair amount.
The rate of fire was increased by 5% yet you need 33% more bullets to get the job done. If the AR killed with 15 bullets at 1.3 seconds, that would mean it would fire at a rate of 11.54 bullets a second. If the AR killed with 20 bullets at 1.3 seconds, it would have to fire at a rate of 15.39 bullets per second. You would need a 33% increase in fire rate, not 5%. Overall when considering body shots it is much more weaker. They nerfed it.

You might retort with go for the head, well then in that case going full auto is not really option since it spreads too much. You gotta rely on bursting, which isn't helped much by the fire rate increase or the more bullets needed to kill.
Quote:
Don't tell me that it's too hard to aim for the head and get that 13 bullet kill- if you can't aim for the head, why are you playing... any FPS game, really?
I can literally use the pistol easier than the AR at almost any situation.
Quote:
More shots to pop shields, sure, but those shots come out faster. Therefore, same (or similar) time to pop.
Except that you have to overall keep the reticule longer on the spartan for the AR to be competitive than the magnum. You have to actively track them the entire time. With the pistol I only have to have it on the spartan the moment I pull the trigger. Like I said I have an easier time using the pistol overall, even in ranges where the AR is supposed to be at it's best.
And in the previous point I showed that it is overall much weaker, even with the slight increase in rate of fire. The rate of fire change doesn't offset the amount of shots needed to kill.
Quote:
Also, god forbid you have to do something other than spray aimlessly with the AR to get kills. It actually takes a modicum of skill! Dear lord whatever shall we do?!1!1!!?/?
Except doing that didn't work as well as bursting it, even before the update. You were more likely to die doing that unless you got the first shot or you were close enough to land all of the shots AND if the opponent missed the shots. You're thinking of the smg, which had it's own weaknesses that made it's high damage output justified. And again, I can literally use the pistol better than I can use the AR now. Hell even the H2BR after the update became the weapon with the highest ease of use with it's high bullet magnestism, excellent range, and high rate of fire with it's bullets, yet I never see anybody call that weapon a nooby weapon. I can use that weapon much more easily than I can the AR too.

Quote:
At far range and even mid range, the magnum should outclass the AR. This has been the case since Halo CE, but it isn't anymore.
Sure, but at mid range it should still be able to at least fight back, and even in close range it loses since the shield damage is so poor. There is little point to using the AR as it is when you have the magnum.

Quote:
. TBH, with the despicable abomination that is ADS, a skilled player can use the AR to mow down some of the best players who use a magnum very effectively.
No. By default the AR has less RRR range than the magnum, and anyone who is shot zooms out. If anyone is losing to an AR at long range while they have magnum, then they are not being effective as a player.
i find it hard to believe you feel this way, it saddens me to see the player base even asking this. H5 has destroyed the franchise. Dont believe me? Look at the low population.
Merjan1 wrote:
In my opinion assault rifle is practically useless, instead the Magnum is excesively powerful and with too much pointed automatic.
I think the magnum really needs a nerf. Either that, or it needs to be a pickup and not a spawn weapon, like the SMG or DMR. People talk about how it's not overpowered and yet nearly everyone favors it over the AR when they spawn with both. It's no coincidence that the usage rates are so high for the magnum while the AR is treated as a designated throw away weapon.
Precision weapons will always be favored in Halo because the majority of engagements take place from mid to long range. Using precision weapons over spray weapons is a very good thing for Halo, because it leads to more skillful gun fights. Spray weapons should still have their place, but they are not meant to compete with the utility weapon in terms of usage. H5 has the most powerful spray weapons in the entire series anyway (a bit too powerful in my opinion), so I don't understand this complaint. We shouldn't want engagements to result in spray fests.
Well as of right now the automatics don't have much of a place. The ones with homing ammunition can be pretty easily dodged using thrust evade, meaning you basically get a chance to force a stalemate when you should have died. The Brute Plasma Rifle, Storm Rifle, AR, and SMG have all been nerfed severely in recent months, while the Magnum, DMR, Carbine, Light Rifle, and Halo 2 BR are more viable at nearly any range. This overlap exists for a couple reasons. First of all, in spite of adding the head shot bonus damage which some automatics possess, you still cannot BXR as fast as someone using a precision weapon. Another reason is because sustained fire is incredibly inaccurate at even close range thanks to the new bloom. This means that there is not just a tiny space between point blank and close range where you can usually beat people using precision weapons while using an automatic.

It should also be noted that precision weapons are not skillful weapons. People use them more (and it's especially pronounced in this version of Halo) because it's easier to get kills than with automatics. If you really want to put your skills to the test, try using the current AR or SMG. Meanwhile, the magnum has been overpowered since the game came out and has hardly been nerfed at all. It still kills faster than the DMR and has tremendous range for a pistol.

The problem with this whole thing is players HAVE TO spawn with 2 weapons for some weird reason. That is the complaint. Back in the day people would spawn with just a weak automatic and be forced to wander to find other more powerful weapons to build their advantage. Interestingly enough, Halo 5 pays homage to this somewhat, having a countdown timer for the power weapons to encourage battles for the better weapons. Spawning with a single, weaker automatic was the key. Because then you have variety. Take Sandtrap on Halo 3. There's 3 BRs and a laser for a team of 8. That means that half of the team is going to have to use vehicles, scout for other types of weapons like needlers, or fight over power weapons.
its almost as if you've never played a halo title except for h5.
Merjan1 wrote:
In my opinion assault rifle is practically useless, instead the Magnum is excesively powerful and with too much pointed automatic.
I think the magnum really needs a nerf. Either that, or it needs to be a pickup and not a spawn weapon, like the SMG or DMR. People talk about how it's not overpowered and yet nearly everyone favors it over the AR when they spawn with both. It's no coincidence that the usage rates are so high for the magnum while the AR is treated as a designated throw away weapon.
Precision weapons will always be favored in Halo because the majority of engagements take place from mid to long range. Using precision weapons over spray weapons is a very good thing for Halo, because it leads to more skillful gun fights. Spray weapons should still have their place, but they are not meant to compete with the utility weapon in terms of usage. H5 has the most powerful spray weapons in the entire series anyway (a bit too powerful in my opinion), so I don't understand this complaint. We shouldn't want engagements to result in spray fests.
Well as of right now the automatics don't have much of a place. The ones with homing ammunition can be pretty easily dodged using thrust evade, meaning you basically get a chance to force a stalemate when you should have died. The Brute Plasma Rifle, Storm Rifle, AR, and SMG have all been nerfed severely in recent months, while the Magnum, DMR, Carbine, Light Rifle, and Halo 2 BR are more viable at nearly any range. This overlap exists for a couple reasons. First of all, in spite of adding the head shot bonus damage which some automatics possess, you still cannot BXR as fast as someone using a precision weapon. Another reason is because sustained fire is incredibly inaccurate at even close range thanks to the new bloom. This means that there is not just a tiny space between point blank and close range where you can usually beat people using precision weapons while using an automatic.

It should also be noted that precision weapons are not skillful weapons. People use them more (and it's especially pronounced in this version of Halo) because it's easier to get kills than with automatics. If you really want to put your skills to the test, try using the current AR or SMG. Meanwhile, the magnum has been overpowered since the game came out and has hardly been nerfed at all. It still kills faster than the DMR and has tremendous range for a pistol.

The problem with this whole thing is players HAVE TO spawn with 2 weapons for some weird reason. That is the complaint. Back in the day people would spawn with just a weak automatic and be forced to wander to find other more powerful weapons to build their advantage. Interestingly enough, Halo 5 pays homage to this somewhat, having a countdown timer for the power weapons to encourage battles for the better weapons. Spawning with a single, weaker automatic was the key. Because then you have variety. Take Sandtrap on Halo 3. There's 3 BRs and a laser for a team of 8. That means that half of the team is going to have to use vehicles, scout for other types of weapons like needlers, or fight over power weapons.
also, youre not supposed to BXR with a auto. Its obvious you dont know where the terms com from so ill explain. A BXR originated in H2 while using the button combo od literally B-X-R. What it means is you hit the player then push reload and shoot within 1 second of the punch creating a sort of insta kill with a precision weapon. BXR was never used with an auto. A BXB was however.
Merjan1 wrote:
In my opinion assault rifle is practically useless, instead the Magnum is excesively powerful and with too much pointed automatic.
I think the magnum really needs a nerf. Either that, or it needs to be a pickup and not a spawn weapon, like the SMG or DMR. People talk about how it's not overpowered and yet nearly everyone favors it over the AR when they spawn with both. It's no coincidence that the usage rates are so high for the magnum while the AR is treated as a designated throw away weapon.
Precision weapons will always be favored in Halo because the majority of engagements take place from mid to long range. Using precision weapons over spray weapons is a very good thing for Halo, because it leads to more skillful gun fights. Spray weapons should still have their place, but they are not meant to compete with the utility weapon in terms of usage. H5 has the most powerful spray weapons in the entire series anyway (a bit too powerful in my opinion), so I don't understand this complaint. We shouldn't want engagements to result in spray fests.
Well as of right now the automatics don't have much of a place. The ones with homing ammunition can be pretty easily dodged using thrust evade, meaning you basically get a chance to force a stalemate when you should have died. The Brute Plasma Rifle, Storm Rifle, AR, and SMG have all been nerfed severely in recent months, while the Magnum, DMR, Carbine, Light Rifle, and Halo 2 BR are more viable at nearly any range. This overlap exists for a couple reasons. First of all, in spite of adding the head shot bonus damage which some automatics possess, you still cannot BXR as fast as someone using a precision weapon. Another reason is because sustained fire is incredibly inaccurate at even close range thanks to the new bloom. This means that there is not just a tiny space between point blank and close range where you can usually beat people using precision weapons while using an automatic.

It should also be noted that precision weapons are not skillful weapons. People use them more (and it's especially pronounced in this version of Halo) because it's easier to get kills than with automatics. If you really want to put your skills to the test, try using the current AR or SMG. Meanwhile, the magnum has been overpowered since the game came out and has hardly been nerfed at all. It still kills faster than the DMR and has tremendous range for a pistol.

The problem with this whole thing is players HAVE TO spawn with 2 weapons for some weird reason. That is the complaint. Back in the day people would spawn with just a weak automatic and be forced to wander to find other more powerful weapons to build their advantage. Interestingly enough, Halo 5 pays homage to this somewhat, having a countdown timer for the power weapons to encourage battles for the better weapons. Spawning with a single, weaker automatic was the key. Because then you have variety. Take Sandtrap on Halo 3. There's 3 BRs and a laser for a team of 8. That means that half of the team is going to have to use vehicles, scout for other types of weapons like needlers, or fight over power weapons.
its almost as if you've never played a halo title except for h5.

also, youre not supposed to BXR with a auto. Its obvious you dont know where the terms com from so ill explain. A BXR originated in H2 while using the button combo od literally B-X-R. What it means is you hit the player then push reload and shoot within 1 second of the punch creating a sort of insta kill with a precision weapon. BXR was never used with an auto. A BXB was however.
Obviously when I talked about how the old games worked in my last comment, I was just blowing smoke out of my butt. Thanks for taking the time to come up with a constructive comment.

H2: https://halo.bungie.net/stats/playerstatshalo2.aspx?player=RogueGh0st
https://halo.bungie.net/stats/playerstatshalo2.aspx?player=OmegaRogueGhost
H3: https://halo.bungie.net/stats/halo3/careerstats.aspx?player=OmegaRogueGhost
Reach: https://halo.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/default.aspx?player=OmegaRogueGhost
H4: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-4/xbox-360/service-records/players/omegarogueghost

It should also be noted that BXR as it pertains to Halo 5 involves a melee followed up with a head shot. The head shot multiplier was given to some automatics in an attempt to level the playing field in very close to point blank range, an area where automatics were being outgunned by weapons intended for longer ranges. Obviously, the AR head shot multiplier wasn't designed for mid range engagements because of how difficult it would be to take someone's shield down and then get a few head shots with it as well. The point is that in BXR situations, precision weapons still maintain an advantage because it takes one shot to the head as opposed to several. This means you have to keep someone who is using a precision weapon just between close and point blank rage while using the AR. Too close and you get out BXRd. Too far and the TTK goes way up because of bloom or needing to burst. The AR is useful in a very narrow range and that's a problem.
Merjan1 wrote:
In my opinion assault rifle is practically useless, instead the Magnum is excesively powerful and with too much pointed automatic.
I think the magnum really needs a nerf. Either that, or it needs to be a pickup and not a spawn weapon, like the SMG or DMR. People talk about how it's not overpowered and yet nearly everyone favors it over the AR when they spawn with both. It's no coincidence that the usage rates are so high for the magnum while the AR is treated as a designated throw away weapon.
Precision weapons will always be favored in Halo because the majority of engagements take place from mid to long range. Using precision weapons over spray weapons is a very good thing for Halo, because it leads to more skillful gun fights. Spray weapons should still have their place, but they are not meant to compete with the utility weapon in terms of usage. H5 has the most powerful spray weapons in the entire series anyway (a bit too powerful in my opinion), so I don't understand this complaint. We shouldn't want engagements to result in spray fests.
Well as of right now the automatics don't have much of a place. The ones with homing ammunition can be pretty easily dodged using thrust evade, meaning you basically get a chance to force a stalemate when you should have died. The Brute Plasma Rifle, Storm Rifle, AR, and SMG have all been nerfed severely in recent months, while the Magnum, DMR, Carbine, Light Rifle, and Halo 2 BR are more viable at nearly any range. This overlap exists for a couple reasons. First of all, in spite of adding the head shot bonus damage which some automatics possess, you still cannot BXR as fast as someone using a precision weapon. Another reason is because sustained fire is incredibly inaccurate at even close range thanks to the new bloom. This means that there is not just a tiny space between point blank and close range where you can usually beat people using precision weapons while using an automatic.

It should also be noted that precision weapons are not skillful weapons. People use them more (and it's especially pronounced in this version of Halo) because it's easier to get kills than with automatics. If you really want to put your skills to the test, try using the current AR or SMG. Meanwhile, the magnum has been overpowered since the game came out and has hardly been nerfed at all. It still kills faster than the DMR and has tremendous range for a pistol.

The problem with this whole thing is players HAVE TO spawn with 2 weapons for some weird reason. That is the complaint. Back in the day people would spawn with just a weak automatic and be forced to wander to find other more powerful weapons to build their advantage. Interestingly enough, Halo 5 pays homage to this somewhat, having a countdown timer for the power weapons to encourage battles for the better weapons. Spawning with a single, weaker automatic was the key. Because then you have variety. Take Sandtrap on Halo 3. There's 3 BRs and a laser for a team of 8. That means that half of the team is going to have to use vehicles, scout for other types of weapons like needlers, or fight over power weapons.
Hardly ANY of the weapons require skill in Halo 5... every dang weapon can be spammed and the game becomes who shoots the fastest win.. it used to be who took the BEST shots won... all those cry babies an wusses crying about Bloom and Recoil on MOST the weapons back in the day has allowed 343 to removed it from ALL but a few weapons .. but all the precision weapons in 5 can be spammed and they could not be spammed in the old Halos if you wanted to actually get kills... quite frankly this is the one Halo that takes the least amount of skill to play IMHO
The magnum is a reliable weapon, but definitely does not need a nerf. I don’t find the AR to be useless at all, especially with its extra headshot damage when a player’s shields are down.
Magnum, fine as is. AR, fine as is. BR, please change this weapon it is useless.
This isn't CoD, my dude. Automatics never have and never will dominate precisions. It's what makes Halo unique. If you don't like how people immediately switch to pistols as soon as they spawn, then this isn't the game for you.
Tohur wrote:
Merjan1 wrote:
In my opinion assault rifle is practically useless, instead the Magnum is excesively powerful and with too much pointed automatic.
I think the magnum really needs a nerf. Either that, or it needs to be a pickup and not a spawn weapon, like the SMG or DMR. People talk about how it's not overpowered and yet nearly everyone favors it over the AR when they spawn with both. It's no coincidence that the usage rates are so high for the magnum while the AR is treated as a designated throw away weapon.
Precision weapons will always be favored in Halo because the majority of engagements take place from mid to long range. Using precision weapons over spray weapons is a very good thing for Halo, because it leads to more skillful gun fights. Spray weapons should still have their place, but they are not meant to compete with the utility weapon in terms of usage. H5 has the most powerful spray weapons in the entire series anyway (a bit too powerful in my opinion), so I don't understand this complaint. We shouldn't want engagements to result in spray fests.
Well as of right now the automatics don't have much of a place. The ones with homing ammunition can be pretty easily dodged using thrust evade, meaning you basically get a chance to force a stalemate when you should have died. The Brute Plasma Rifle, Storm Rifle, AR, and SMG have all been nerfed severely in recent months, while the Magnum, DMR, Carbine, Light Rifle, and Halo 2 BR are more viable at nearly any range. This overlap exists for a couple reasons. First of all, in spite of adding the head shot bonus damage which some automatics possess, you still cannot BXR as fast as someone using a precision weapon. Another reason is because sustained fire is incredibly inaccurate at even close range thanks to the new bloom. This means that there is not just a tiny space between point blank and close range where you can usually beat people using precision weapons while using an automatic.

It should also be noted that precision weapons are not skillful weapons. People use them more (and it's especially pronounced in this version of Halo) because it's easier to get kills than with automatics. If you really want to put your skills to the test, try using the current AR or SMG. Meanwhile, the magnum has been overpowered since the game came out and has hardly been nerfed at all. It still kills faster than the DMR and has tremendous range for a pistol.

The problem with this whole thing is players HAVE TO spawn with 2 weapons for some weird reason. That is the complaint. Back in the day people would spawn with just a weak automatic and be forced to wander to find other more powerful weapons to build their advantage. Interestingly enough, Halo 5 pays homage to this somewhat, having a countdown timer for the power weapons to encourage battles for the better weapons. Spawning with a single, weaker automatic was the key. Because then you have variety. Take Sandtrap on Halo 3. There's 3 BRs and a laser for a team of 8. That means that half of the team is going to have to use vehicles, scout for other types of weapons like needlers, or fight over power weapons.
Hardly ANY of the weapons require skill in Halo 5... every dang weapon can be spammed and the game becomes who shoots the fastest win.. it used to be who took the BEST shots won... all those cry babies an wusses crying about Bloom and Recoil on MOST the weapons back in the day has allowed 343 to removed it from ALL but a few weapons .. but all the precision weapons in 5 can be spammed and they could not be spammed in the old Halos if you wanted to actually get kills... quite frankly this is the one Halo that takes the least amount of skill to play IMHO
As long as all of the basic weapons have a fairly defined role, I'm good with it. They managed to incorporate it with the pickup precision weapons in this game. Carbine is similar to the br except it can shoot faster and has better descope and midrange suppression capabilities. The dmr offers long range precision support. The light rifle deals tremendous damage per shot at mid to long ranges and has improved damage against vehicles.

But to spawn with 2 weapons and have one of them be inferior at almost any range is ridiculous. There's little point in spawning with the AR. It's even more ridiculous that they subsequently nerf the smg and the automatic plasma weapons as well because now you can't replace the ar with a better automatic to the same degree that you can replace the Br with a superior precision weapon.
Quote:
SirInge516
13 shots versus 12 is NOTHING for an automatic.
Only if you consider full automatic, which leads to too much spreading and inconsistency for it to be reliable. Otherwise the one shot difference is a lot more noticeable if you're bursting. But regardless the argument in question is the claim that the AR was buffed. I don't think it was.
Quote:
It's barely any more time for the same rate of fire- and the rate of fire was buffed.
By 5%. If the AR could shoot 20 shots in under a second before, then after it would be able to shoot 21 shots. The difference becomes smaller with fewer shots, where if it could shoot 12 shots before in a second than it would shoot 12.6 shots with the increase, and again this is only taking into consideration full auto which is impractical for landing headshots since it becomes more about luck than control. While it is true that the spread has become tighter, it has also become more difficult to time the burst for it to be efficient. Again burst too fast and it spreads to much to be effective, burst too slow or mistime it so that it only shoots 1 bullet instead of two, and it doesn't output enough damage to compete. I don't have to worry about this with the pistol.

Quote:
20 as opposed to 15 is significant for the same rate- but the rate isn't the same, it's increased by a fair amount.
The rate of fire was increased by 5% yet you need 33% more bullets to get the job done. If the AR killed with 15 bullets at 1.3 seconds, that would mean it would fire at a rate of 11.54 bullets a second. If the AR killed with 20 bullets at 1.3 seconds, it would have to fire at a rate of 15.39 bullets per second. You would need a 33% increase in fire rate, not 5%. Overall when considering body shots it is much more weaker. They nerfed it.

You might retort with go for the head, well then in that case going full auto is not really option since it spreads too much. You gotta rely on bursting, which isn't helped much by the fire rate increase or the more bullets needed to kill.
Quote:
Don't tell me that it's too hard to aim for the head and get that 13 bullet kill- if you can't aim for the head, why are you playing... any FPS game, really?
I can literally use the pistol easier than the AR at almost any situation.
Quote:
More shots to pop shields, sure, but those shots come out faster. Therefore, same (or similar) time to pop.
Except that you have to overall keep the reticule longer on the spartan for the AR to be competitive than the magnum. You have to actively track them the entire time. With the pistol I only have to have it on the spartan the moment I pull the trigger. Like I said I have an easier time using the pistol overall, even in ranges where the AR is supposed to be at it's best.
And in the previous point I showed that it is overall much weaker, even with the slight increase in rate of fire. The rate of fire change doesn't offset the amount of shots needed to kill.
Quote:
Also, god forbid you have to do something other than spray aimlessly with the AR to get kills. It actually takes a modicum of skill! Dear lord whatever shall we do?!1!1!!?/?
Except doing that didn't work as well as bursting it, even before the update. You were more likely to die doing that unless you got the first shot or you were close enough to land all of the shots AND if the opponent missed the shots. You're thinking of the smg, which had it's own weaknesses that made it's high damage output justified. And again, I can literally use the pistol better than I can use the AR now. Hell even the H2BR after the update became the weapon with the highest ease of use with it's high bullet magnestism, excellent range, and high rate of fire with it's bullets, yet I never see anybody call that weapon a nooby weapon. I can use that weapon much more easily than I can the AR too.

Quote:
At far range and even mid range, the magnum should outclass the AR. This has been the case since Halo CE, but it isn't anymore.
Sure, but at mid range it should still be able to at least fight back, and even in close range it loses since the shield damage is so poor. There is little point to using the AR as it is when you have the magnum.

Quote:
. TBH, with the despicable abomination that is ADS, a skilled player can use the AR to mow down some of the best players who use a magnum very effectively.
No. By default the AR has less RRR range than the magnum, and anyone who is shot zooms out. If anyone is losing to an AR at long range while they have magnum, then they are not being effective as a player.
i find it hard to believe you feel this way, it saddens me to see the player base even asking this. H5 has destroyed the franchise. Dont believe me? Look at the low population.
How do you know that the low population is attributed solely because of the way they made the AR? The AR is currently nerfed to where it's impractical to use, they never even made the changes back, so I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion.

Tohur wrote:
Merjan1 wrote:
In my opinion assault rifle is practically useless, instead the Magnum is excesively powerful and with too much pointed automatic.
I think the magnum really needs a nerf. Either that, or it needs to be a pickup and not a spawn weapon, like the SMG or DMR. People talk about how it's not overpowered and yet nearly everyone favors it over the AR when they spawn with both. It's no coincidence that the usage rates are so high for the magnum while the AR is treated as a designated throw away weapon.
Hardly ANY of the weapons require skill in Halo 5... every dang weapon can be spammed and the game becomes who shoots the fastest win.. it used to be who took the BEST shots won... all those cry babies an wusses crying about Bloom and Recoil on MOST the weapons back in the day has allowed 343 to removed it from ALL but a few weapons .. but all the precision weapons in 5 can be spammed and they could not be spammed in the old Halos if you wanted to actually get kills... quite frankly this is the one Halo that takes the least amount of skill to play IMHO
So why hate on the autos then if they are all around just as easy to use?

GameDavo wrote:
The magnum is a reliable weapon, but definitely does not need a nerf. I don’t find the AR to be useless at all, especially with its extra headshot damage when a player’s shields are down.
That's the thing though, the AR only shines for cleanup kills, otherwise in nearly every other situation, the magnum can do a better job.

This isn't CoD, my dude. Automatics never have and never will dominate precisions. It's what makes Halo unique. If you don't like how people immediately switch to pistols as soon as they spawn, then this isn't the game for you.
Then why have autos in the first place?
This isn't CoD, my dude. Automatics never have and never will dominate precisions. It's what makes Halo unique. If you don't like how people immediately switch to pistols as soon as they spawn, then this isn't the game for you.
I disagree. It used to be that way in cqc in halo 5 until they felt the need to nerf the automatics. The ttks were so much better in close range combat that it paid off to carry a precision weapon and an automatic. Dual welding also dominated precision weapons in cqc in older halo games.

The franchise has seen many changes for the better as well, so it's not like the concept of automatics overpowering precision weapons in cqc permanently gone. Melee damage is a good example. When halo 2 first came out, it would take anywhere from 2-6 melee attacks to net a kill with most weapons. After a major update it was clear that they wanted to fix this problem and by the time halo 3 came out, they reduced it to 2 for virtually all guns.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3