Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

New Breakout + Shields = Thankyou

OP PurplePowErX6

Now don't get me wrong, I liked breakout in the past, but I must say that I do enjoy the new breakout a little better, mainly because of shields.

Having full shields is one of the many things that makes Halo unique, and having them removed felt a little... Call of Duty- type style, which did not feel original.

I'm glad that shields have been implemented into breakout, and maybe the weapons might need to be worked on, because I have heard a couple of complaints, but I will say 343 are on the right track.

Well done 343, and keep up the good work :)
inb4 Breakout 2.0 hate

I like Breakout 2.0 as well. Never was a fan of the original. However, my stance on Shotgun starts is still undecided.
I can't agree with you only because they made the shotgun a starting weapon. If they got rid of that, I would agree.
I feel like they just should have added a new mode onto the existing Breakout. But 343 has a tendancy of fixing what isn't broken.. So this does not suprise me. But anyways I like both Breakouts.
pro: full shields, motion tracker
contra: shotgun, bringing flag to home base
nekrulz wrote:
pro: full shields, motion tracker
contra: shotgun, bringing flag to home base
Yeah. Bringing the flag to home base is very cheap at times. Especially when your team is down a man
I think what they were trying to fix was camping at your home base, killing enemies who try to cap the flag, by putting your cap point on your side. I think it just made the mode more annoying, since people can just grab it and run, without fear of dying by charging straight into the enemy fire when trying to cap the flag.
I think Breakout 2.0 is pretty good..! Would much prefer to use a gunfighter magnum though.
I'm glad they took out active camo. Not a big fan of the shotgun as starter, and binging the flag back will take some getting used to..

Overall, what irritates me about this version is that it's a replacer for the original breakout. I wish this just would have been a variant of breakout. Like Breakout assault or something.
Shields really ruined this mode for me. It felt really different and unique mode before but now it is not. I really miss the old breakout.
I like the new Breakout, but the shotguns need to go. It just turns stalemates into people crouching around the map with their shotgun out and hoping they find the other person. Also, the motion tracker is problematic as well. Even without shotguns, if you leave the motion tracker in then people will still crouch and camp because they don't want to be seen. I say get rid of radar, start with a pistol only, and have BR/DMR/Autos (any combination of them) on the map.
The new breakout is vastly superior to the never ending camping, no shields snooze fest it was before. There's a hell of a lot more skill involved when it comes to firefights now, its not designed for people to just camp and wait for the enemy to lose patience, and it makes it about a billion times more dynamic as a game type.
Generally speaking, breakout is still being played as slayer. Several times my teammates have had the advantage and hunted down the remaining player, just to be eliminated. So, that part still sucky sucky long time. It seems the only way to make breakout played legit is to tie a reward system, i.e. commendations, that causes people to want to score the flag instead of just playing it slayer style. I didn't like the original break out because the pistol is too strong of a weapon. Weapon balance for any game type is out of whack. I think maybe making the starting weapon the smg without a secondary weapon might make it played more strategically. Eliminate the BR, DMR, and Hydra. Having people post up on towers or ledges can be considered the idea of the game, but it still encourages slayer vs. CTF.
The one change I'm make, is to start with the Tacmag & silenced SMG.
The real deal breaker for me is the motion tracker. Adding that took away the whole feeling of urgency throughout the match. You never knew if somebody was about to run up right behind you and had to be careful and aware at all times.
headyman44 wrote:
Generally speaking, breakout is still being played as slayer. Several times my teammates have had the advantage and hunted down the remaining player, just to be eliminated. So, that part still sucky sucky long time. It seems the only way to make breakout played legit is to tie a reward system, i.e. commendations, that causes people to want to score the flag instead of just playing it slayer style. I didn't like the original break out because the pistol is too strong of a weapon. Weapon balance for any game type is out of whack. I think maybe making the starting weapon the smg without a secondary weapon might make it played more strategically. Eliminate the BR, DMR, and Hydra. Having people post up on towers or ledges can be considered the idea of the game, but it still encourages slayer vs. CTF.
It seems the higher I rank the more people ignore the flag. At Gold 1 the flag was being used to win. At platinum 4 the flag is mostly ignored. Playing 1 death slayer is boring, because it never fails that the last 1v1 we have to watch people crouching with shotguns followed by panicked shooting in the last 10 seconds.

Edit: It's still way better than the old breakout because of shields. I think doing away with the shotgun would cut down on the camping though.
Now just please remove the shotgun... thank you!
Ya I like the new breakout better. A big reason why for me, is because I am a lot better at it. But what I think 343 should have done is made it a seperate gamemode. Not completely replace it.
I never played the old Breakout. My first experience was a little off putting. Wasn't sure what to think. The flag confused me because most every game I played in the beginning ended with a whole team being wiped out. "Why is there a flag? No one is even grabbing it?" Turns out the flag changes the whole game provided someone grabs it. I've been playing Breakout almost exclusively for the last couple weeks and have been grinding my way from Bronze 3 up to Platinum 5. If I don't get Diamond/Onyx this season I almost guarantee I'll have it next season since I've had time to polish my skills and learn the maps.