Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

NEW EXTERM Playlist Feedback thread

OP Fame Depraved

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
New Exterm gametype in matchmaking and maps! Leave feedback on the poll and tell us what you think about the gametype, love it or hate - Leave feedback. Have thoughts on the maps or want to make one? Leave feedback here. If you would like to submit a map or check out more maps for the Exterm gametype to play, head on over to Forgehub.com and upload one or dowload some.

I can't make a poll for some reason right now, so comment what you think

Love it
Like it
It's ok, but not my favorite
Don't like it, don't care to play it
Love it!
Love it... obviously
Love It

Im a fan for sure, really looking forward to what people think to see where we may be able to make improvements. im also up for helping out with maps or issues you might have if you are in to making a map for the game type.
Like it. Only played one game but it was fun and pretty easy to control. I have mixed feeling s about breakout in general, but extermination is interesting.
Honestly, why the hell is this not in ranked? It has perfect settings for ranked, clearly mostly ranked players are playing it, yet it's social? This is anything but a casual gamemode imo, and therefore shouldn't be in social.

Also, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: in gamemodes like these, PARTY V PARTY and SOLO V SOLO should be a top priority, no excuses. Otherwise, people will just come on the forums and ask the max party size to be reduced again like they did with WZ and WZA. (and likewise, people in parties will just harass solo players. Bottom line here is that this currently isn't going to work well for both sides of the problem.)

Another thing: what's with the random disconnects? I've seem to have been getting a lot more of them in this playlist compared to other ones.
I'm loving it, BUT ive played 5 games and only completed 3 due to losing connection to the server. It seems very common in this playlist which is odd. Otherwise a cool change of pace.
I think it's bloody fantastic, and I do think it should be ranked and not social.
It should replace brake out its way better and be ranked.

Only issue is the maps are too small. There was one that was really bad and I would die of the spawn constantly.

Only issue is the maps are too small. There was one that was really bad and I would die of the spawn constantly.
Which map were you getting killed on spawn? The maps need to be small or you'd never end the rounds

Which map were you getting killed on spawn? The maps need to be small or you'd never end the rounds
I think it was firewall.

I found my self dropping with out being able to do any thing. One way of describing it would be it felt like the enemy spawned before my team spawned but I don't think that's actaully what happened.
I haven't tried it yet, but the reviews make me want to try it, but I do agree it should be on Ranked, Social is where Hell brakes loose (You what I mean by that)
Like it but the spawn's are possibly the worst I've ever seen in Halo. Most of the time when I die it leads to a constant loop of respawing just to immediately die again.
Now that I've played around for a bit, here are my official thoughts on the gamemode/maps (not the playlist it's self. I still think it should be ranked, and it could be with a few tweaks to the matchmaking system)

Gamemode (in general):

Sounds: Besides Alpha-Niner, the rest of the maps do need the win/loss sounds, and I hope they get added in a future update. All of them except that one map seem to lack said things.
Ties: I have seen these used as more of a strategy, hell, even I've used it myself (if the game has 2 ties and we're winning, I'll try to force the draw alongside the players in my team so that we automatically win by default, as we have more points. Not sure if the game was intended to be this way, but it is something to bring up regarding the gamemode's round system.)
Other: Disable friendly fire. It should be common sense to have this off by default if you don't want trolls to ruin your game, right?

Map feedback

Alpha-Niner - Honestly, this map is fine. This is honestly one of the most balanced maps I have played, and despite me going negative at times against other players (or going positive) I've actually had a blast playing it.
Atlas - Replace the damage boost with a speed boost. Right now fights on this map come down to who gets the damage boost. From there it's just camping behind corners and spamming the melee button whenever somebody gets close. The map is somewhat decent otherwise.
Dreamscape - Based on the 1-2 matches I played on this map (Due to the disconnect issue) I'd say it's fine. I haven't really seen many people fight it out for the speedboost though. Most people try to get the rail gun. Not sure if swapping the speed boost with a damage boost would be a smart decision, but I definitely think changing it to a damage boost would encourage players to fight at mid as well, and not just rush for the railgun.
Face to Face - Perfect as is. Not much more to say. The sniper is extremely beneficial and doesn't break the flow of gameplay or balance in this game, which I like.
Firewall - I haven't really seen many people try to go for the beam rifle. Most people try to gain map control by staying at top mid and grabbing GL. I think swapping the locations of the beam rifle and GL could remedy this problem.
Harbringer - I haven't really been getting this map much, if at all. I only got it once (and I disconnected.) So far so good though, but I obviously need to play a few more matches on this map before giving more accurate feedback.
Remains - I don't really see anything wrong with the flow of balance or design for this map. The caster isn't really game changing, to say the least, but it still is a good weapon to get one or two kills with.
So far so good, although the Face to Face map is really easy to spawn camp on.
Max Extra wrote:
Love It

Im a fan for sure, really looking forward to what people think to see where we may be able to make improvements. im also up for helping out with maps or issues you might have if you are in to making a map for the game type.
Hey, I saw you in my first game. I'm guessing at least one of the maps made is yours?
I think its really fun! I enjoy it more than breakout
This is one of the best halo game modes I've played. I feel like this is what breakout should've been.
It's a great gamemode. Definitely emphasizes teamwork, and it's a unique alternative to Breakout.

A solid thumbs up. :)
Now that I've played around for a bit, here are my official thoughts on the gamemode/maps (not the playlist it's self. I still think it should be ranked, and it could be with a few tweaks to the matchmaking system)

Gamemode (in general):

Sounds: Besides Alpha-Niner, the rest of the maps do need the win/loss sounds, and I hope they get added in a future update. All of them except that one map seem to lack said things.
Ties: I have seen these used as more of a strategy, hell, even I've used it myself (if the game has 2 ties and we're winning, I'll try to force the draw alongside the players in my team so that we automatically win by default, as we have more points. Not sure if the game was intended to be this way, but it is something to bring up regarding the gamemode's round system.)
Other: Disable friendly fire. It should be common sense to have this off by default if you don't want trolls to ruin your game, right?

Map feedbackAlpha-Niner - Honestly, this map is fine. This is honestly one of the most balanced maps I have played, and despite me going negative at times against other players (or going positive) I've actually had a blast playing it.
Atlas - Replace the damage boost with a speed boost. Right now fights on this map come down to who gets the damage boost. From there it's just camping behind corners and spamming the melee button whenever somebody gets close. The map is somewhat decent otherwise.
Dreamscape - Based on the 1-2 matches I played on this map (Due to the disconnect issue) I'd say it's fine. I haven't really seen many people fight it out for the speedboost though. Most people try to get the rail gun. Not sure if swapping the speed boost with a damage boost would be a smart decision, but I definitely think changing it to a damage boost would encourage players to fight at mid as well, and not just rush for the railgun.
Face to Face - Perfect as is. Not much more to say. The sniper is extremely beneficial and doesn't break the flow of gameplay or balance in this game, which I like.
Firewall - I haven't really seen many people try to go for the beam rifle. Most people try to gain map control by staying at top mid and grabbing GL. I think swapping the locations of the beam rifle and GL could remedy this problem.
Harbringer - I haven't really been getting this map much, if at all. I only got it once (and I disconnected.) So far so good though, but I obviously need to play a few more matches on this map before giving more accurate feedback.
Remains - I don't really see anything wrong with the flow of balance or design for this map. The caster isn't really game changing, to say the least, but it still is a good weapon to get one or two kills with.
Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate how in depth you went. We are already working on alternative to some of these issues and will hopefully be able to find quality solutions to some of the things you mentioned
So far so good, although the Face to Face map is really easy to spawn camp on.
Max Extra wrote:
Love It

Hey, I saw you in my first game. I'm guessing at least one of the maps made is yours?
Harbinger is mine actually, throughout testing I had resolved the most of the performance issues with the map like dipps in the framerate, but after it got moved into matchmaking it seems there are some issues again occasionally. I hope that gets fixed soon.

As far as disconnects go. I have had that a few times too, but I am not sure what part of the game mode is responsible if it even is at all. this was not an issue when we played the game in the custom browser.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2