1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
For the love of God, this game has been out for 3 years and we have been playing the saaaaammmmeeeee maps.. there are sooooo many forge maps that are well made that can be implemented into playlist rotations.. and people wonder why this game is stale as hell 🙄
For the love of God, this game has been out for 3 years and we have been playing the saaaaammmmeeeee maps.. there are sooooo many forge maps that are well made that can be implemented into playlist rotations.. and people wonder why this game is stale as hell 🙄
We’re in a drought period right now. It’s the inevitable gap when the latest game has run its course and details about the new game are lacking. 343 is actively making halo 6 right now, but I’d love for a few fresh maps to mix it up.
They’ve already added a ton in since launch. Personally, I’d rather they work on an extra map for Halo 6 than add one to Halo 5. There’s always the customs browser if you want to play on some unique maps.
They've added 7 new maps and 2 new forge canvases since launch all of which have been free. The game was regularly given content updates for quite a while.
Normally I'd say it's fine. Three years isn't that long (by the way, Halo 5 won't have been out for three years until October this year) and it doesn't feel "stale" to me at all.

However, lately I've been trying to play BTB and I've noticed that many of the maps are way too cramped and restrictive, and lack a variety of vehicles and open space to use them, which makes them feel like normal slayer. Because of that, I'll have to agree and say yes Halo 5's BTB really needs some new maps, or some of the larger, open BTB maps from previous Halo games which allowed for a healthy amount of vehicle play. I'm sorry but BTB should never have tiny maps like Eagle Square, Port Authority and Traffic Jam (however this is a different issue than its current maps feeling "stale")
Normally I'd say it's fine. Three years isn't that long (by the way, Halo 5 won't have been out for three years until October this year) and it doesn't feel "stale" to me at all.

However, lately I've been trying to play BTB and I've noticed that many of the maps are way too cramped and restrictive, and lack a variety of vehicles and open space to use them, which makes them feel like normal slayer. Because of that, I'll have to agree and say yes Halo 5's BTB really needs some new maps, or some of the larger, open BTB maps from previous Halo games which allowed for a healthy amount of vehicle play. I'm sorry but BTB should never have tiny maps like Eagle Square, Port Authority and Traffic Jam (however this is a different issue than its current maps feeling "stale")
Traffic jam is one of my favorite btb maps. I enjoy they way that map plays.
That's fine, I don't expect everyone to share my opinion of what BTB should play like. I'm the kind of person who likes BTB Heavies where I don't have to rely so much on my battle rifle because there's usually a fun power weapon available somewhere to pick up, and with maps large enough to facilitate tank battles and aerial combat. Personally, that's the kind of experience I enjoy most in BTB, and maps like Traffic Jam feel like the complete opposite of that. Just my opinion.
That's fine, I don't expect everyone to share my opinion of what BTB should play like. I'm the kind of person who likes BTB Heavies where I don't have to rely so much on my battle rifle because there's usually a fun power weapon available somewhere to pick up, and with maps large enough to facilitate tank battles and aerial combat. Personally, that's the kind of experience I enjoy most in BTB, and maps like Traffic Jam feel like the complete opposite of that. Just my opinion.
Yeah. I like the variety. I do enjoy some maps like traffic jam. But also I really like the bigger maps like echoes and Viking. I just think that some small maps do have a place in btb.

I also used to really like heavies. It’s a shame 343 never tried that in h5. Dispelled and altar I don’t really care for because I don’t like the spawn system in either. But they would be great canvases for heavies I think.
Yeah. I like the variety. I do enjoy some maps like traffic jam. But also I really like the bigger maps like echoes and Viking. I just think that some small maps do have a place in btb.

I also used to really like heavies. It’s a shame 343 never tried that in h5. Dispelled and altar I don’t really care for because I don’t like the spawn system in either. But they would be great canvases for heavies I think.
I'll admit the only reason I'd advocate removing maps I don't like from BTB is a purely selfish desire to not have to play on them, but I don't want to ruin other people's fun either. Maybe it would be ideal to have separate BTB and BTB Heavies playlists, like Halo 4 did. But I'd also be happy if they mixed Heavies in with normal BTB like Halo Reach did. At least to me, occasionally having to play on Traffic Jam would be worth having Heavies in the mix
Your post isn't really factual, but when the game is on cruise control until H6 it can start to feel monotonous. To stay with the car theme, I do think it needs a pit stop every now and then to stay fresh so the people who are still riding in the car make it to H6 happy.
The spawn system in Dispelled has definitely been brought to my attention. I just recently acquired the matchmaking version of Dispelled to identify this issue. Believe me, its on my todo list. My 'alpha' version of dispelled was definitely more heavies oriented but it came at a great price. Infantry gameplay felt discouraging and objective games just turned into Team Slayer matches.
TimeDipper wrote:
The spawn system in Dispelled has definitely been brought to my attention. I just recently acquired the matchmaking version of Dispelled to identify this issue. Believe me, its on my todo list. My 'alpha' version of dispelled was definitely more heavies oriented but it came at a great price. Infantry gameplay felt discouraging and objective games just turned into Team Slayer matches.
Oh nice. Hey if you’re one of the creators of this map can I ask you a question. When Assault was added to the this map in the current rotation were you asked to tweak the spawns or did they use the same spawns as flag?

Imo flag plays out very well on dispelled. Assault, not so much. I could get into the details of why but it sounds like you are well aware. There also is a spawn trap over by the caster tower when an enemy base is occupied. Once again I’m sure you’re aware of this lol.

Its nice having this abilitiy to speak to you guys about these maps. Just know that the community appreciates the work you forgers do.

Seems to me like a refresh with a few a few fixes on some of your guys maps would go a long way. I wouldn’t mind seeing a couple old maps added back in like antifreeze.particularily strongholds. Loved that map/gametype.
TimeDipper wrote:
Oh nice. Hey if you’re one of the creators of this map can I ask you a question. When Assault was added to the this map in the current rotation were you asked to tweak the spawns or did they use the same spawns as flag?

Imo flag plays out very well on dispelled. Assault, not so much. I could get into the details of why but it sounds like you are well aware. There also is a spawn trap over by the caster tower when an enemy base is occupied. Once again I’m sure you’re aware of this lol.

Its nice having this abilitiy to speak to you guys about these maps. Just know that the community appreciates the work you forgers do.

Seems to me like a refresh with a few a few fixes on some of your guys maps would go a long way. I wouldn’t mind seeing a couple old maps added back in like antifreeze.particularily strongholds. Loved that map/gametype.
If I remember correctly, assault was added right before Dispelled was submitted to matchmaking, however it wasn't in the rotation during the first refresh. I had submitted Dispelled for Slayer, CTF and Strongholds. To be honest I didn't know assault was going to be a game type on Dispelled until it was added in a later rotation. So to answer your question I am unsure of what tweaks were made after my submission. It is very possible the matchmaking version is using CTF spawns. Working on it :)

It's always a pleasure to hear feedback, good and bad.
TimeDipper wrote:
Do you have any changes related to the Wasps at all or no?
LUKEPOWA wrote:
TimeDipper wrote:
I am planning on swapping the plasma caster with something more effective against wasps. I also have some other tweak ideas I would like to try. It's kind of funny because the wasp seems to be a bit of a controversial one. I used to have a hydra in bottom mid tunnel to counter the wasps but it was swapped out for an overshield by the internal testing team due to the wasp feeling too weak. Now the feedback seems to be the opposite.
TimeDipper wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
TimeDipper wrote:
I am planning on swapping the plasma caster with something more effective against wasps.
Would a basic Spartan Laser be an appropriate countermeasure against the Wasp? I personally think that the sheer power is nicely offset by the limited power supply, charge time, and the demand for accuracy.
HaXoR73 wrote:
TimeDipper wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
TimeDipper wrote:
I am planning on swapping the plasma caster with something more effective against wasps.
Would a basic Spartan Laser be an appropriate countermeasure against the Wasp? I personally think that the sheer power is nicely offset by the limited power supply, charge time, and the demand for accuracy.
It would be for sure, but it is also super effective against tanks and warthogs which might be a bit overwhelming and discourage vehicle use. Dispelled has long sightlines and limited cover for vehicles so overall the Spartan laser might be a little over powered. I might have to give it a go in a custom testing lobby and see how it goes. Good suggestion though.
TimeDipper wrote:
My 'alpha' version of dispelled was definitely more heavies oriented but it came at a great price. Infantry gameplay felt discouraging and objective games just turned into Team Slayer matches.
That's disappointing. Is there any chance you could design more Heavies-oriented versions of other maps? Maybe using Altar or Viking or something from an older Halo game? I really think Halo 5's BTB is in dire need of more Heavies-oriented maps.
TimeDipper wrote:
HaXoR73 wrote:
TimeDipper wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
TimeDipper wrote:
It would be for sure, but it is also super effective against tanks and warthogs which might be a bit overwhelming and discourage vehicle use. Dispelled has long sightlines and limited cover for vehicles so overall the Spartan laser might be a little over powered. I might have to give it a go in a custom testing lobby and see how it goes. Good suggestion though.
If that doesn't seem to work out, perhaps a standard Railgun would work instead. While it's not the most destructive explosive weapon out there, its respectable effectiveness against players and vehicles alike would force one to decide whether to use it to destroy / cripple an annoying enemy vehicle, or use it against a group of fast-approaching players on foot. The demand for accuracy also carries over from the Splaser, though to a lesser extent due to the Railgun's better handling.

But you don't have to take my words for granted; I'm just thinking of some ideas, that's all. :)
TimeDipper wrote:
My 'alpha' version of dispelled was definitely more heavies oriented but it came at a great price. Infantry gameplay felt discouraging and objective games just turned into Team Slayer matches.
That's disappointing. Is there any chance you could design more Heavies-oriented versions of other maps? Maybe using Altar or Viking or something from an older Halo game? I really think Halo 5's BTB is in dire need of more Heavies-oriented maps.
I agree with you on BTB needing more heavies-oriented maps and I consider that in my designs, even my current project. That is why Dispelled is the only BTB map in MM with 2 scorpion tanks at this point. I think Forgers are aware of that but since it's not up to us to determine what makes it in the playlist, a lot of Forgers honestly wont bother sinking 50+ hours into a map that just to get played a couple times in a testing lobby and then forgotten.

As for classic older Halo maps, some of them just don't play well in Halo 5 altogether and forcing heavy vehicles will generally disturb the balance of gameplay. Could you imagine on Viking or Alter if one team had two banshees, two tanks and a pair of Gauss hogs? It would become unplayable for the other team. I think finding the happy medium is key to promote fun and balanced gameplay, unfortunately it isn't as easy as just throwing a bunch of vehicles on a map. You would have to redesign the map a bit and then you have the issue where it isn't accurate anymore to the original. Sometimes its just best to stay away from the headaches that are remakes.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2