Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

No more headshots on Grunt Mechs?

OP tuhin94

I had two games today where I unloaded precision shots into a grunt driving the mech and the stupid thing didn’t die. The mech’s shield was down in case anyone suggests that was the reason. Now I know this used to be possible since I’ve gotten them multiple times in the past and even managed one from long range with a BR. Any idea what’s going on??
tuhin94 wrote:
I had two games today where I unloaded precision shots into a grunt driving the mech and the stupid thing didn’t die. The mech’s shield was down in case anyone suggests that was the reason. Now I know this used to be possible since I’ve gotten them multiple times in the past and even managed one from long range with a BR. Any idea what’s going on??
in that clip you killed the boss with damage, not a headshot... its pretty obvious, just look at its health.
Sypriz wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
in that clip you killed the boss with damage, not a headshot... its pretty obvious, just look at its health.
Slow it down to 0.25x playback speed and you’ll see it. I didn’t make a clip each time I’ve gotten a headshot, but this one shows it if you look closely. Besides, the focus of this post is not the clip. It’s only there as an example.
Not sure, maybe it's hidden in some patch notes that they changed it? Or it's a bug? If they did remove I think that's a good thing, felt really cheap to me.
Shield still looked up to me.
Nice kill in the video.

I have, in times past, managed to headshot the grunt pilot. I didn't make any videos of it, but I do recall that it took several rounds for the pilot to die (if memory serves, I was using a sniper rifle). I figured it was just part of firefight in that most all enemies, and particularly bosses, are bullet sponges. So for the pilot to take several rounds right in the face before dying just seemed like a boss-buff.
I feel like it's really weird. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday I put two full clips into a grunts head and it didn't count then someone on the other team stole it. Very frustrating
Eevium wrote:
I feel like it's really weird. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday I put two full clips into a grunts head and it didn't count then someone on the other team stole it. Very frustrating
maybe it depends on the loadout weapon you use... i always use magnums to headshot them