Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

No more kicking on grifball for team killing?

OP ScreenedSpark6

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I’ve been playing Halo 5 for a while, and one of my favorite classic games is Grifball. Now, you play the match with a gravity hammer and an energy sword. I’ve come to notice that I accidentally kill my teammates that are behind me and not even on my screen and I get kicked all the time for it. Could we make the kicking from grifball games not a thing? Or turn off friendly-fire or something? Because it gets annoying when you are trying to kill someone on the opposite team and you kill your teammate instead. When you get kicked from the game for team killing even though they were either nowhere near you or behind you, it gets really annoying, and makes the game not much fun.
Everyone's a nail baby!
But ya i don't really see a downside to turning FF off in this gametype.
Wouldn't remove kicking tho. That would inevitably lead to to endless teamkills.
I’ve been playing Halo 5 for a while, and one of my favorite classic games is Grifball. Now, you play the match with a gravity hammer and an energy sword. I’ve come to notice that I accidentally kill my teammates that are behind me and not even on my screen and I get kicked all the time for it.
So don't do that? Killing your teammates is bad. You have radar/motion tracker and there isn't really a need to be careless.

Quote:
Could we make the kicking from grifball games not a thing? Or turn off friendly-fire or something?
Kind of breaks the game when you do that; you can literally launch a teammate across the map.

Quote:
Because it gets annoying when you are trying to kill someone on the opposite team and you kill your teammate instead. When you get kicked from the game for team killing even though they were either nowhere near you or behind you, it gets really annoying, and makes the game not much fun.
It's pretty annoying when your teammates are careless and betray you as well.
I’ve been playing Halo 5 for a while, and one of my favorite classic games is Grifball. Now, you play the match with a gravity hammer and an energy sword. I’ve come to notice that I accidentally kill my teammates that are behind me and not even on my screen and I get kicked all the time for it.
So don't do that? Killing your teammates is bad. You have radar/motion tracker and there isn't really a need to be careless.
I understand where you're coming from, but for something like Grifball, the betrayal booting system should be more for people who are intentionally team killing and griefing, rather than for people who are simply being careless, in my opinion.
Quote:
Because it gets annoying when you are trying to kill someone on the opposite team and you kill your teammate instead. When you get kicked from the game for team killing even though they were either nowhere near you or behind you, it gets really annoying, and makes the game not much fun.
Which one of those is more annoying is a matter of opinion. Personally, I find being betrayed by teammates much less annoying than having to worry about getting booted for accidentally smacking them too often. But that's just me. For the record, yes I am careful not to betray teammates when I play Grifball
I understand where you're coming from, but for something like Grifball, the betrayal booting system should be more for people who are intentionally team killing and griefing, rather than for people who are simply being careless, in my opinion.
Quote:
Which one of those is more annoying is a matter of opinion. Personally, I find being betrayed by teammates much less annoying than having to worry about getting booted for accidentally smacking them too often. But that's just me. For the record, yes I am careful not to betray teammates when I play Grifball
You might have a point if it didn't require 3 betrayals (or a significant history) for a boot. The bottom line is if you're that unconcerned with your teammates that you can kill three of them in a single match you deserve the boot and the griefing ban that will likely follow. I can play grifball without getting booted by keeping a basic eye on the radar, it isn't difficult.
All I do is just choose no whenever the game asks if I want to boot someone who betrayed me. I do ot in the hopes that if I kill people one accident a few times, then they’re less likely to want to boot me.
You might have a point if it didn't require 3 betrayals (or a significant history) for a boot. The bottom line is if you're that unconcerned with your teammates that you can kill three of them in a single match you deserve the boot and the griefing ban that will likely follow. I can play grifball without getting booted by keeping a basic eye on the radar, it isn't difficult.
I can too, and I wasn't saying it's difficult by any means. I wasn't really trying to make a point, just sharing my opinion.
All I do is just choose no whenever the game asks if I want to boot someone who betrayed me. I do ot in the hopes that if I kill people one accident a few times, then they’re less likely to want to boot me.
I do the same thing, but because I feel like having a careless teammate is better than having a missing teammate. But if they were clearly doing it on purpose, then I wouldn't hesitate to boot them.
Ehh, it's been a griffball issue since the start. Team killing happens in griffball, people just need to get over the false assumption that people do it intentionally or that it's avoidable. Removing friendly fire However just ends one issue and you open the box to a new set of issues. Dump FF and people can propel team mates access the map, the engine physics with FF off pretty ruins that as an option.
Ehh, it's been a griffball issue since the start. Team killing happens in griffball, people just need to get over the false assumption that people do it intentionally or that it's avoidable.
Neither of those are false assumptions. There are quite a lot of people who intentionally team kill and it's quite easy not to do it. A rare one off accident will happen, but it isn't difficult to play grifball without killing your teammates.
They did that for Halo Reach, and now it's a griefing and boosting cesspool. I honestly think the current system is the best we're gonna get. There are accidental teamkills in Grifball all the time. I think we, the players, all have a good understanding that it's almost always an accident. It also doesn't help that the kicking prompt appears how it does, automatically highlighting the "yes" option. It's up to us to be good sports about it.
Ehh, it's been a griffball issue since the start. Team killing happens in griffball, people just need to get over the false assumption that people do it intentionally or that it's avoidable.
Neither of those are false assumptions. There are quite a lot of people who intentionally team kill and it's quite easy not to do it. A rare one off accident will happen, but it isn't difficult to play grifball without killing your teammates.
There indeed are players who intentionally team kill, what I'm saying is not everyone does so on purpose. There's plenty of players that boot instantly with no thought into it.

A for being "easy" to not teamkill, I wouldn't say so, especially when griffball is probably the #1 mode people ask to get friendly fire removed from. Does being easy to you apply to others? Furthermore in griffball when winning is what people care about, you learn to expect teamkills if you're near a ball carrier as team mates will do whatever it takes to stop them from scoring, even if it means killing friendly players. I've no shame in killing team members near the opposing ball carrier/our goal and I won't get upset being the one teamkilled.
I agree, that is a problem, almost all the betrays in griftball are accidents then the people must know that and dont kick people, sometimes my teamates are awful for play and betrayme a lot of times, and I dont kick they, but when betray sometimes in the same game i get kicked inmediatly, is sad
There indeed are players who intentionally team kill, what I'm saying is not everyone does so on purpose. There's plenty of players that boot instantly with no thought into it.
I don't think it would be likely that people assume that every betrayal is intentional; I would say the majority aren't imo. However, if someone is getting three betrayals in a match often enough to complain about it then it would seem likely that they are being excessively careless or there is a possibility of intentional betrayel going on.

A for being "easy" to not teamkill, I wouldn't say so, especially when griffball is probably the #1 mode people ask to get friendly fire removed from.
I wouldn't say it's the most common; I see people complain about removing friendly fire from arena/social gametypes, I even seen about as many 'stop vehicle physics from being a thing' because I got run over in wzff as I do remove FF from grifball threads. Even if I accept that it is the most common mode people complain about, there isn't a good reason to assume that people complaining is due to the fact that paying a bit of attention to your teammates is hard.

Does being easy to you apply to others?
To a degree yes; I'm an average player on my best day. Roughly Half the people are better than I am. To a degree no. However when it comes down to basic color identification or taking notice of the radar, we aren't talking about a heavy skill requirement.

Furthermore in griffball when winning is what people care about, you learn to expect teamkills if you're near a ball carrier as team mates will do whatever it takes to stop them from scoring, even if it means killing friendly players.
That may be how you and your party play things (and if you do that is your choice), but I see no reason to belief in acceptable losses if it isn't going to end the match.

I've no shame in killing team members near the opposing ball carrier/our goal and I won't get upset being the one teamkilled.
Okay? So you're okay with it under very specific circumstances and therefore everyone should be okay with it under all circumstances? 3 accidental betrayals are a bit much.
I don't think it would be likely that people assume that every betrayal is intentional; I would say the majority aren't imo. However, if someone is getting three betrayals in a match often enough to complain about it then it would seem likely that they are being excessively careless or there is a possibility of intentional betrayel going on.

A for being "easy" to not teamkill, I wouldn't say so, especially when griffball is probably the #1 mode people ask to get friendly fire removed from.
I wouldn't say it's the most common; I see people complain about removing friendly fire from arena/social gametypes, I even seen about as many 'stop vehicle physics from being a thing' because I got run over in wzff as I do remove FF from grifball threads. Even if I accept that it is the most common mode people complain about, there isn't a good reason to assume that people complaining is due to the fact that paying a bit of attention to your teammates is hard.

Does being easy to you apply to others?
To a degree yes; I'm an average player on my best day. Roughly Half the people are better than I am. To a degree no. However when it comes down to basic color identification or taking notice of the radar, we aren't talking about a heavy skill requirement.

Furthermore in griffball when winning is what people care about, you learn to expect teamkills if you're near a ball carrier as team mates will do whatever it takes to stop them from scoring, even if it means killing friendly players.
That may be how you and your party play things (and if you do that is your choice), but I see no reason to belief in acceptable losses if it isn't going to end the match.

I've no shame in killing team members near the opposing ball carrier/our goal and I won't get upset being the one teamkilled.
Okay? So you're okay with it under very specific circumstances and therefore everyone should be okay with it under all circumstances? 3 accidental betrayals are a bit much.
Besides spawnkilling, any circumstances works for me when it comes to teamkills. A goal defender will tend to rack up teamkills because team mates chase the ballcarrier, an aggressive player will chase down every kill he can get and in the process will kill team mates near those players. That's what happens when a hammer has an area of effect (especially in halos 5s case cause it's physics are broke as hell) to it so that little dinky radar means little other than telling you where players are. Passive players will be the ones getting smacked in the back when they're pushed back and the more aggressive player spawns in to clear his/her spawn area of enemy players.
Besides spawnkilling, any circumstances works for me when it comes to teamkills
Well, that's a great way to make friends. I have no desire to be on your team in the future now. You've gone from 'accidents happen' to 'I'll just swing my hammer to get kills even if it takes my teammates with them.'

Now, you've admitted that the game mode breaks when you turn friendly fire off, so what your suggesting I suppose is just turning off booting which would lead to those people who do grief to be more attracted to the playlist (we've seen this happen before when they've turned off betrayal botting in grifball)

A goal defender will tend to rack up teamkills because team mates chase the ballcarrier, an aggressive player will chase down every kill he can get and in the process will kill team mates near those players.
Or they could actually play the game; try and run the bomb, act as blockers for the ball carrier, act as defenders in case the play switches and just not swing their hammers when they see their own teammates in the area of effect or immediately beside them on the radar?

That's what happens when a hammer has an area of effect (especially in halos 5s case cause it's physics are broke as hell) to it so that
Screwy physics are kind of a halo staple. They've never been quite right.

little dinky radar means little other than telling you where players are.
And that radar is far larger than the area of effect of a gravity hammer.

Passive players will be the ones getting smacked in the back when they're pushed back and the more aggressive player spawns in to clear his/her spawn area of enemy players.
Passive and aggressive aren't opposites. Even if someone was playing 'passively' that doesn't make it okay to betray them.
That's pretty difficult to do...mainly because team-mates love walking into places they shouldn't go. It's like I've been in games where I was destroying the enemy team in griffball then a random team-mate decides they want to steal my kill, get themselves killed and yet we have no way of knowing because the radar is pretty broken, useless in those types of situations, well we'd have to be a Jedi to know when there coming. lol
ronnie42 wrote:
That's pretty difficult to do...mainly because team-mates love walking into places they shouldn't go. It's like I've been in games where I was destroying the enemy team in griffball then a random team-mate decides they want to steal my kill, get themselves killed and yet we have no way of knowing because the radar is pretty broken, useless in those types of situations, well we'd have to be a Jedi to know when there coming. lol
Yes, They ran in front of your hammer. You weren't swinging indiscriminately at all. That doesn't even sound like a legitimate argument. I've already addressed this but I'll repeat, The radar is far larger than the area of effect of a hammer (even if I'd prefer it to go back to the old distance) and again if you're having 3 of these accidents in a match you have to take some of the flack for it. Three is a lot of betrayals for a match. Paying attention to where you teammates are isn't a hard task.
ronnie42 wrote:
Yes, They ran in front of your hammer. You weren't swinging indiscriminately at all. That doesn't even sound like a legitimate argument. I've already addressed this but I'll repeat, The radar is far larger than the area of effect of a hammer (even if I'd prefer it to go back to the old distance) and again if you're having 3 of these accidents in a match you have to take some of the flack for it. Three is a lot of betrayals for a match. Paying attention to where you teammates are isn't a hard task.
When a team is nowhere in sight, the entire enemy team fear you then hell yeh I'm going to swing like crazy. ;)
But yes I have taken a step back but betrayals are difficult to avoid...the worst ones when you're trying to kill 1 person, the team-mate decides to walk in front and yet I have 2 options betray the person, get my kill or not kill the enemy and one of them kills us both, People online these days are like head-less chickens that have no clue what there doing most of the time. If you only get 3 betrayals then it probably means you were lucky or team-mates were some randomers that actually know what they were doing but that's a myth that legends speak of.
Besides spawnkilling, any circumstances works for me when it comes to teamkills
Well, that's a great way to make friends. I have no desire to be on your team in the future now. You've gone from 'accidents happen' to 'I'll just swing my hammer to get kills even if it takes my teammates with them.' More like if you're in my way then you're in my hammers way. I don't actively seek betrayals. So if you run in front of me when I swing, it's on the person who did the jump boosting in front of me than my own swinging. If I'm at the goal, I will easily take a team mates life if it stops a ball carrier. It'd be the same way if I'm the numbskull who mindlessly ran around in front of team mates swinging hammers.Now, you've admitted that the game mode breaks when you turn friendly fire off, so what your suggesting I suppose is just turning off booting which would lead to those people who do grief to be more attracted to the playlist (we've seen this happen before when they've turned off betrayal botting in grifball) FF should stay, I'm merely saying people should toughen up on the betrayals that aren't malicious.
A goal defender will tend to rack up teamkills because team mates chase the ballcarrier, an aggressive player will chase down every kill he can get and in the process will kill team mates near those players.
Or they could actually play the game; try and run the bomb, act as blockers for the ball carrier, act as defenders in case the play switches and just not swing their hammers when they see their own teammates in the area of effect or immediately beside them on the radar? Goal defenders do play the game, i'd rather one sits on it over the opposing ball carrier somehow getting through people and then being unopposed on his way to a free score (easy to do vs uncoordinated teams). Furthermore swinging their hammer is the only option on their goal to stop a player, if a team mate is their, so be it. It's just another "you're in my way so you're in my hammers way" scenario. You can't back off hoping the team mate ensures the carrier doesn't score, it's better to just go for the 2v1 scenario and hope neither of you team kill one another, furthermore a ball carrier needs hit twice every now and then if he counters the first hit, something you can't chance at a goal zone.
That's what happens when a hammer has an area of effect (especially in halos 5s case cause it's physics are broke as hell) to it so that
Screwy physics are kind of a halo staple. They've never been quite right. True, but halo 5 griffball is still obnoxious on physics when it comes to a hammer.
little dinky radar means little other than telling you where players are.
And that radar is far larger than the area of effect of a gravity hammer. You mean the radar everyone complains about being to small And how players get up on you in a seconds time? Nevertheless a radar doesn't defend yourself when players come near you enemy or alley.
Passive players will be the ones getting smacked in the back when they're pushed back and the more aggressive player spawns in to clear his/her spawn area of enemy players.
Passive and aggressive aren't opposites. Even if someone was playing 'passively' that doesn't make it okay to betray them. Who said it's ok to betray? It's all about understanding the circumstances that got you teamkilled or where you did the teamkilling.
I bolded responses to your quotes.

If this was slayer or anything other than griffball I'd be in 100% agreenent with you on this, but griffball isn't slayer and plays entirely different. If people want to have fun or win, they need to realize teamkilling will happen a lot whether it's accident or not. It's been an issue since griffball was started, it's not something that can be fixed. The best one can do is limit it, but also be understanding of the non malicious betrayals that do occur.
More like if you're in my way then you're in my hammers way. I don't actively seek betrayals. So if you run in front of me when I swing, it's on the person who did the jump boosting in front of me than my own swinging. If I'm at the goal, I will easily take a team mates life if it stops a ball carrier. It'd be the same way if I'm the numbskull who mindlessly ran around in front of team mates swinging hammers.
That's what I said? No actually it's worse, you're assuming it is other people's responspibility to avoid your indiscriminate fire.

FF should stay, I'm merely saying people should toughen up on the betrayals that aren't malicious..
We've already agreed that accidents happen on occasion and some betrayals aren't malicious. However, I've yet to see a suggestion for changing the system that won't make things worse. If you remove friendly fire the game type gets broken. If you remove betrayal booting or loosen the betrayals to boot you attack more griefers.

Goal defenders do play the game, i'd rather one sits on it over the opposing ball carrier somehow getting through people and then being unopposed on his way to a free score (easy to do vs uncoordinated teams). Furthermore swinging their hammer is the only option on their goal to stop a player, if a team mate is their, so be it. It's just another "you're in my way so you're in my hammers way" scenario. You can't back off hoping the team mate ensures the carrier doesn't score, it's better to just go for the 2v1 scenario and hope neither of you team kill one another, furthermore a ball carrier needs hit twice every now and then if he counters the first hit, something you can't chance at a goal zone.
Even if I accept your presumably rare scenario is that going to happen three times in a match? Are two free betrayals not enough? Generally you use the sword against somebody with the ball anyway so that is kind of moot.

You mean the radar everyone complains about being to small And how players get up on you in a seconds time? Nevertheless a radar doesn't defend yourself when players come near you enemy or alley.
I assume that is supposed to be ally? I'd prefer the older radar. That doesn't mean it isn't large enough to determine if a teammate is too close to you for you to safely swing the hammer.

Who said it's ok to betray? It's all about understanding the circumstances that got you teamkilled or where you did the teamkilling.
You have. Repeatedly.

If this was slayer or anything other than griffball I'd be in 100% agreenent with you on this, but griffball isn't slayer and plays entirely different. If people want to have fun or win, they need to realize teamkilling will happen a lot whether it's accident or not. It's been an issue since griffball was started, it's not something that can be fixed. The best one can do is limit it, but also be understanding of the non malicious betrayals that do occur.
And yet I can play and win at grifball without betraying, much less betraying someone three times. What does this have to do with the current booting system anyway?

ronnie42 wrote:
When a team is nowhere in sight, the entire enemy team fear you then hell yeh I'm going to swing like crazy. ;)
But yes I have taken a step back but betrayals are difficult to avoid...the worst ones when you're trying to kill 1 person, the team-mate decides to walk in front and yet I have 2 options betray the person, get my kill or not kill the enemy and one of them kills us both, People online these days are like head-less chickens that have no clue what there doing most of the time.
I'm curious if you take a similar line of thinking to other situations. People are doing things for reasons I don't understand, it must be their fault. It's okay if I do this and don't offer any concern to those around me.

ronnie42 wrote:
If you only get 3 betrayals then it probably means you were lucky or team-mates were some randomers that actually know what they were doing but that's a myth that legends speak of.
And so the dozens (I kind of want to say hundreds, but have no desire to go back and count) if not more matches of grifball in h5 where I haven't been booted or banned didn't happen. Good to know. If you're routinely getting 3 betrayals a match you aren't playing a lot of anything, much less grifball. I have the feeling you're being intentionally hyperbolic.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2