Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Not getting better

OP AbsoluteZeRo436

I have been playing halo 5 and I didn't really start trying until a few months ago. I went from around silver level to platinum really quick but now I am just not getting better. I put hours into practice of shooting, learning the maps, and my strafe and still I'm not seeing much improvement. People who put 0 work in that have been at the same level, I either don't beat or barely beat. Can anyone help?
Incorporate thrust into your strafe if you aren't already. At the higher levels, it's not really about being a better shot, but more about knowing spawns, when to push, team shooting, map positioning and map control. If you're really good, you can do it solo, but you'd most likely need to play with a team to climb higher in the ranks.
I’m a mid-level player at best (Heroic is my difficulty of choice), so take what I say how you will.

I find that in online matches I get better by playing with those that are better than me (but not OP so I get wrecked every 5 seconds). As incorporating their strategies into your own and how you approach battles can definitely help a ton.

Also never underestimate the melee and mixing things up with grenades too until you find a style that works for you. Mix and match! :D
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Incorporate thrust into your strafe if you aren't already. At the higher levels, it's not really about being a better shot, but more about knowing spawns, when to push, team shooting, map positioning and map control. If you're really good, you can do it solo, but you'd most likely need to play with a team to climb higher in the ranks.
Thanks I'm trying to get better at that. Its just hard with the guys I play with. I've gotten to the point where I can compete with onyx's and smack most diamonds on a 1v1 basis. Im trying to learn spawns, and to play smarter but thanks. Like my last game I smacked them 26 and 4 with a running riot so, I can sorta tell its not gun skills at this point. Still gotta improve my strafe though. Any tips on how to not get cleaned up or how to move around the map in ffa?
Play with teammates.
All the tips in the world can only go so far. Map knowledge...practicing your shot and strafe...learning all the skill jumps, grenade skill, competent team mates ...etc. they only go so far. Not everyone can be a pro level player. It's not a crazy advanced feat like being a pro at like a professional sport or something, but it's still similar in that some people will eventually hit their ceiling. For some thats champion. For some its gold. The game is meant for enjoyment, and progressing your rank is also part of the enjoyment, but don't let it bother you too much.

Perhaps if you were on a team with others higher ranked than you, and you consistently got a majority of the kills, that would be the fastest way to rank up. Cause you'd be playing opponents mostly at a higher tier than you, and the games system will acknowledge you're playing at that level. If you didn't and end up just getting Carried over and over each match, then you'd notice you hardly get any progress since that system is in place to prevent players being carried to a higher tier by simply winning even if their contributions low.
All the tips in the world can only go so far. Map knowledge...practicing your shot and strafe...learning all the skill jumps, grenade skill, competent team mates ...etc. they only go so far. Not everyone can be a pro level player. It's not a crazy advanced feat like being a pro at like a professional sport or something, but it's still similar in that some people will eventually hit their ceiling. For some thats champion. For some its gold. The game is meant for enjoyment, and progressing your rank is also part of the enjoyment, but don't let it bother you too much.

Perhaps if you were on a team with others higher ranked than you, and you consistently got a majority of the kills, that would be the fastest way to rank up. Cause you'd be playing opponents mostly at a higher tier than you, and the games system will acknowledge you're playing at that level. If you didn't and end up just getting Carried over and over each match, then you'd notice you hardly get any progress since that system is in place to prevent players being carried to a higher tier by simply winning even if their contributions low.
Yeah. One of my problems is just getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. But yeah there is a point were you can't get much better. But I believe that most people's ceiling is onyx or maybe even champ. Also I was wondering if you have any advice for not getting janitors in ffa?

Yeah. One of my problems is just getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. But yeah there is a point were you can't get much better. But I believe that most people's ceiling is onyx or maybe even champ. Also I was wondering if you have any advice for not getting janitors in ffa?
I don't really play ffa at all anymore. I did well when I played back on the day, but man tbh sometimes I felt like some matches luck was on my side. Catching people off guard, getting triple kills as me being the janitor cleaning all 3 weak enemies up. I mean you gotta still be competent yourself, but I feel like the really good players in FFA have all the skills you'd expect them to have plus this extra instinct in that playlist of knowing where to be, and when. Cause it of course isn't luck based. There's some luck involved, but luck doesn't turn a daimond into a champ for example. Lol

But if you haven't, review your footage of the match in theater in matches you don't do well in. Where one player dominates while all the others struggle. You can get some insight into what they do differently. When I did play, I watched a lot of vetoed from YouTube.

For me though, I really enjoy 4v4 playlists with the hcs settings. I feel so damn on edge in FFA. At my age I'll end up having a heart attack bro. Haha. I literally have to be wired to play halo these days. My caffeine addiction goes well with the game.

Im really wanting to grind for onyx in the 4v4 playlists, but I don't always have people to play with. H5 is nearly unbearable as a solo player. Sometimes im lucky and people send an invite if we played well together...but the rank just floats forever between plat 6 and mid tier daimond. Takes forever to go back up, and just a few bad matches to crash back down. Story of an average players life these days

I don't really play ffa at all anymore. I did well when I played back on the day, but man tbh sometimes I felt like some matches luck was on my side. Catching people off guard, getting triple kills as me being the janitor cleaning all 3 weak enemies up. I mean you gotta still be competent yourself, but I feel like the really good players in FFA have all the skills you'd expect them to have plus this extra instinct in that playlist of knowing where to be, and when. Cause it of course isn't luck based. There's some luck involved, but luck doesn't turn a daimond into a champ for example. Lol

But if you haven't, review your footage of the match in theater in matches you don't do well in. Where one player dominates while all the others struggle. You can get some insight into what they do differently. When I did play, I watched a lot of vetoed from YouTube.

For me though, I really enjoy 4v4 playlists with the hcs settings. I feel so damn on edge in FFA. At my age I'll end up having a heart attack bro. Haha. I literally have to be wired to play halo these days. My caffeine addiction goes well with the game.

Im really wanting to grind for onyx in the 4v4 playlists, but I don't always have people to play with. H5 is nearly unbearable as a solo player. Sometimes im lucky and people send an invite if we played well together...but the rank just floats forever between plat 6 and mid tier daimond. Takes forever to go back up, and just a few bad matches to crash back down. Story of an average players life these days
Yeah lol. I usually dominate diamonds but thenI have trash teammates and I barely gain CSR when I do win so yeah I feel you.
I have been playing halo 5 and I didn't really start trying until a few months ago. I went from around silver level to platinum really quick but now I am just not getting better. I put hours into practice of shooting, learning the maps, and my strafe and still I'm not seeing much improvement. People who put 0 work in that have been at the same level, I either don't beat or barely beat. Can anyone help?
try playing alot of swat Or play other games, for example i played titan fall 2 and since that game is basically like jumping around an wallrunning, it got my aim really precise and accurate
I feel you mate. I have the same deal, only if you add a thrust into your strafe it'll help much. And I must say less crouching in strafing the better. Here are my settings: Look Sens: 3 horizontal, 3.5 vertical, 3 look acceleration. This will improve accuracy.
Watch pro gameplay and compete in the most competitive playlists like HCS, Team Arena, etc. Network to find good friends to play with and don’t give up.
It may sound a little weird, but try to use just one weapon. For example, I use the AR a lot in ranked instead of the magnum. I find that If I focus on using just one weapon instead of trying to get good with all of them I have more success and have more fun in general. Sometimes using weapons that are supposed to be "competitive" ends up being worse and just more frustrating than using some of the other more casual weapons at your disposal. Plus using something like the AR means you can be fairly aggressive, and even if you don' get as many kills you are still softening up the enemy team for your own team mates, which does help them and you to get better.
I usually stick with the SAW or extra ammo SMG- and I kinda agree with you too though! I always use the AR until the SAW or SMG! Then I stick to those.
Take a break and come back with a fresh mindset.
I always suggest these for players who are looking to be more competitive.

1) Its important to find your sensitivity if you have not already. You want to make sure when you're that you are not over or under aiming. It takes a while to find the sweet spot for yourself. Easiest way is to record some of your gameplay, and go back and watch your crosshair when aiming. Add sensitivity if your under aiming, or lower if your over aiming your shots.
2) Try a different button layout. Something that keeps your fingers on the sticks. This way you wont need to move your right thumb to press ABXY as much. Bumper Jumper is one that I recommend.
3) Utilize different strafing techniques. Crouch, Jump, Thrust.
4) Keep your eyes centered. Don't try this if your susceptible to motion sickness. But try keeping your eyes centered on the screen. Move your crosshair around to look (if your sensitivity is set right it shouldn't feel slow). This way your eyes are not panning around the screen looking for enemies. This will help you have faster reaction times, as your crosshair will be on or close to your enemy. Rather than you having to move your crosshair 5-6 inches across your screen to aim at your enemy.
5) For the love of god use your Radar. Feels like 90% of the people I play against don't even know its there.
6) Try switching to a lower input Monitor or TV. You ideally want something around 1-2ms if you play competitive FPS.