Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Not skill if using the magnum all the time.

OP JayHEMI426

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Just tried of the show boating and trash talking from players that get most their kills with the magnum every match. It’s only ever power weapons and magnums.
Trash talking can be tiring no matter what its over. The rules of the game are always made up and people will boast and complain about anything they feel like online. They are just a loud minority however and if you can find the strength to ignore them the game becomes much better.
What else is there to use though?
I didn't play the older Halo games so I don't know what the meta was there, but for Halo 5 it has always been the magnum. Good range, precise, and decent enough damage. The BR got nerfed to hell a while ago and the AR/storm rifle/anything else you might find on the ground just has a way worse time to kill. Power weapons are really all that can beat the magnum :/. I think in HCS they even took out AR's as a starting weapon since they were so much worse.
So then it comes down to just skill. Whoever has more skill (better aim, more practice, better positing or awareness) will most likely win. Rather than "oh he killed me because he has a better gun."

Off topic but I feel that's probably why they replaced the magnum with the sidekick in Infinite. It does less damage, and is more of a "sidearm." So games won't just be all magnums. If they had just nerfed the magnum a bunch, everybody would get upset that they ruined it. Now they can at least still add it back later.
the magnum is my favorite weapon in Halo5 I think it requires skill if you wanna outplay your enemies especially in the higher ranks like Diamond and above
sure it’s OP but 343 learned from Halo 5 so we will see how strong it is in infinite and whether it is in infinite
OP: Why do you let the random opinion of someone on the internet bother you?
The magnum is deadly at medium ranges, which sucks. HCS is also very biased toward halo 5 which is biased towards the magnum. It's a vicious circle. The magnum variants don't help either-they turn an OP weapon to an overkill weapon, on top of the fact that both the whispered truth and the CE magnum grant you speed boosts.

The most likely reason the AR was taken out of HCS was the fact that people wouldn't adjust to the higher magazine size from 32 bullets to 36 and aiming down the new aiming down the sights. Lastly, the AR doesn't exist as the magnum would be swap-able with "power" weapons on the map like the plasma pistol(why is this even classed as a power weapon???)And you have pretty much unlimited ammo with the AR- I mean look at it, you have 144 reserve ammo when you spawn an you could pick up 76 extra ammo after you kill someone and share the rest with your teamates.
Halo has always had a strong starting utility weapon, and they made the decision that the magnum would be it. Had the BR not been nerfed, people would still be calling for BR starts in games, it's just something that Halo has had since day 1.

It isn't fair to say that using the magnum makes someone unskilled, it is actually the most important skill to learn and master in Halo 5. If you don't like the magnum, then you pretty much have to stick to playlists without it.
I wouldn't worry about or engage with trash talkers period. It's just a game and I play to have fun.
Would mastering a weapon be considered skillful? Also should be put themselves at a disadvantage by using a weapon not suited the the situation in order to...what? Just simply not use the magnum?
Magnums are very reliable if you hit your shots
can i join please!!!!!!!!!!
It’s always best to ignore Trash Talkers, recommend not doing a me & snapping back

But when it comes to Magnum & Power Weapons, at the end of the day, people are going to use reliable weapons that kill quicker, Power Weapons have been a thing since CE, I don’t see no problem with using just a Magnum in Halo 5 when Combat Evolved everyone used the Magnum & Halo 2 it was the Battle Rifle, everyone is going to use a gun thats reliable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nmm8w65qk

End of thread in regards to the subtle whining and "Magnum op" in this post.

Trash talking is part and parcel of the game, embrace it or ignore them. Have you ever teabagged? That's a form of trash talking, no one is innocent of the trash talking tag in this game.
Quote:
It isn't fair to say that using the magnum makes someone unskilled, it is actually the most important skill to learn and master in Halo 5. If you don't like the magnum, then you pretty much have to stick to playlists without it.
Preach.

They never think about it, but if you like competitive settings/balance, you are relegated to three playlists (2v2, TA, and SQ TA).

They have more options than we do, but they still whine.
That's Halo. Every Halo game works the same way. Core Utility spawn weapon, and power weapons. Other weapons are niche and should only be used in their intended lanes.

CE? Magnum
2? BR
3? BR
Reach? DMR
4? BR (controller), DMR (M&K), Carbine/LR (Oddballs)
5? Magnum

Demanding players not use the weapons that were intentionally designed to be your reliable utility weapon is just not what Halo's ever been about.
Quote:
The starting utility precision weapons:

CE: Magnum
2: BR [w/ BR starts]
3: BR [w/ BR starts]
Reach: DMR [w/ a DMR start]
4: Pre-TU = DMR | Post-TU = BR [these are given loadout choices]
5: Magnum | BTB = BR
Infinite: ?
Maybe Jay is saying that the magnum takes the fun out of the game because it's almost like a DMR pistol without the recoil. I think the game would be completely different if the range was shorter and accuracy got worst over distance. In no scenario should a standard pistol have more accuracy and range than a rifle.

The teams who just team up for social slayer and annihilate individuals looking to have fun, takes away from it. They'll just stay in spots and spawn kill and if they die, a teammate will hit their killer from across the map with one or two magnum shots.

I don't mind the trash talking and teabagging so much, unless it's in poor sportsmanship. If it's diamond/onyx, golds and a bronze, it's obvious they are just trying to embarrass people.

I'll usually only teabag if the same people are coming after me, or we come back at the end against a much higher ranked team. Although it is fun to do it when you pull off an amazing kill you had no business doing, and don't mind if they do the same in that situation. Try to find some people you can consistently play with, makes it a lot more fun win or lose.
Quote:
Maybe Jay is saying that the magnum takes the fun out of the game because it's almost like a DMR pistol without the recoil. I think the game would be completely different if the range was shorter and accuracy got worst over distance. In no scenario should a standard pistol have more accuracy and range than a rifle.

The teams who just team up for social slayer and annihilate individuals looking to have fun, takes away from it. They'll just stay in spots and spawn kill and if they die, a teammate will hit their killer from across the map with one or two magnum shots.

I don't mind the trash talking and teabagging so much, unless it's in poor sportsmanship. If it's diamond/onyx, golds and a bronze, it's obvious they are just trying to embarrass people.

I'll usually only teabag if the same people are coming after me, or we come back at the end against a much higher ranked team. Although it is fun to do it when you pull off an amazing kill you had no business doing, and don't mind if they do the same in that situation. Try to find some people you can consistently play with, makes it a lot more fun win or lose.
If the Magnum in H5 behaved more like a sidearm, all that would happen is that BR starts would become the standard competitively. It wouldn't change the utility weapon meta, just which gun is H5's primary.
Quote:
can i join please!!!!!!!!!!
What do you mean?
Quote:

I appreciate your understanding my dude. Also I’m okay with the BR taking the Magnums spot. A rifle should be better than a handgun.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2