Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Overview to: someone who has never played halo 5

OP SPARTANIV5647

I wanna know how halo 5 felt. Did it feel like halo? Did you guys enjoy it. I've never played it and i want to know what it was like.
I wanna know how halo 5 felt. Did it feel like halo? Did you guys enjoy it. I've never played it and i want to know what it was like.
You are going to get very different answers. LOL. It's a divisive game for some.

Personally, I enjoyed it. I really like all the new characters and the 'new' baddie. Gameplay is excellent. Levels are large. Its a big game. If I had a negative about the story: its a little muddled and 343i went too ambitious, if anything. A couple levels too long. I'd have cut out some Arbiter stuff and made them a cutscene or two.

That said, play it and decide for yourself.
Matt71 wrote:
You are going to get very different answers. LOL. It's a divisive game for some.

Personally, I enjoyed it. I really like all the new characters and the 'new' baddie. Gameplay is excellent. Levels are large. Its a big game. If I had a negative about the story: its a little muddled and 343i went too ambitious, if anything. A couple levels too long. I'd have cut out some Arbiter stuff and made them a cutscene or two.

That said, play it and decide for yourself.
lol i know im gonna get some decisive answers. I think the art work and stuff like u said looks cool
I enjoyed Halo 5, but the evil Cortana thing comes off as a joke. The Prometheans, and the Forerunners are totally unexplored threats and evil Cortana is what they pick as a villain? That's something I'd expect from a cartoon. Putting that aside however the campaign is still enjoyable.

As for the multiplayer side you'll enjoy it if you like to sweat every single match. But if there's one thing 343 struck out of the park it was Forge. Halo 5's Forge mode is an absolute masterwork, 343 out did themselves on Forge. It's confusing at first, but it's a great tool.

In short Halo 5 is flawed, but it's a good game, except for the multiplayer.
I enjoyed Halo 5, but the evil Cortana thing comes off as a joke. The Prometheans, and the Forerunners are totally unexplored threats and evil Cortana is what they pick as a villain? That's something I'd expect from a cartoon. Putting that aside however the campaign is still enjoyable.

As for the multiplayer side you'll enjoy it if you like to sweat every single match. But if there's one thing 343 struck out of the park it was Forge. Halo 5's Forge mode is an absolute masterwork, 343 out did themselves on Forge. It's confusing at first, but it's a great tool.

OH I LOVE TO SWEAT AND PLAY COMPETITIVE HALO

Then you'll love ranked, but that sweatyness bleeds into every other playlist though. If you're looking for a chill match, you won't find it. This multiplayer addition is more akin to CoD with the LTK.

Then you'll love ranked, but that sweatyness bleeds into every other playlist though. If you're looking for a chill match, you won't find it. This multiplayer addition is more akin to CoD with the LTK.
Played competitive my whole life
I did enjoy many parts of the game. The campaign was odd and at times with missions where you just talk the entire time. They served as a story telling purpose but many wanted more missions with shooting which is very understandable.

The multiplayer was great! Down sides of it were too many forge maps in btb, and people arguing over a mode called breakout. But, overall the pvp and even pve were done well. Many, myself included like warzone and husky raid.

An aspect of halo 5 mp is that it was too sweaty due to game mechanics and play styles.
First post here.

Been a loyal fan since CE. Still remember how excited I was when my parents got me my first Xbox (with the OG Duke controller) just so I could play Halo. This is coming from someone in their late 20s who spent endless hours playing H2/H3 online. Other priorities took over for the better part of the last ~8ish years, so I never really played H4 or H5 online (did make the time to play through campaigns when each of those games were initially released). Found campaigns for H4 and H5 were both underwhelming.

I just started getting back into Halo during quarantine. There is a lot that I like about it. I think the addition of sprint and thrusting for quick movements gives the franchise a place in today's world of shooters (no sprint/thrusters just wouldn't bode well with the latest generation of young(er) gamers). That being said, wish they did not have the Spartan rush/shoulder bash and ground pound. The former is especially annoying -- I find it puts skilled shooters at a disadvantage when they are juggling multiple enemies in close quarters with accurate gunplay. Example from last night: well-placed frag followed by BR gets me a quick double-kill, start shooting at third enemy who is charging...and I am dead from a shoulder bash.

I am still trying to get the hang of the whole REQ pack system in the game. To start, I don't blindly oppose it on the basis of 343 finding a way to incorporate micro-transactions. For my first few days with H5 online, I was primarily playing Arena. I'd collect points, then buy packs and sell most of the stuff since I wasn't playing any Warzone. I started playing Warzone last night for the first time (mix of the normal and FF modes). Is it just me or do you get a ton of packs for just playing that game type? I'd finish FF matches and be sitting on 7 gold packs after the match. It didn't make sense to me why I was getting so much more unlockables in that mode vs traditional Arenas (actual packs, not points that I could redeem for packs). My biggest gripe with FF in my limited experience so far is that it seems top performance is heavily skewed towards players who opt for vehicles. First few games I was staying out of vehicles (never been my Halo play style) and I would consistently finish middle of the pack. As soon as I started hopping in Ghosts once they unlocked in-game, I was instantly jumping to the #1-2 position in my FF matches. Seems like a lot of other players do the same (e.g., hunker down in Wraiths or play aggressively in ghosts).

Side note - As part of getting back into Halo recently I also picked up MCC. Can't tell you how much fun I had going back and playing through CE through H3 and doing some the old speed run tricks again. The live toggle for switching between old/new graphics was a really nice touch too (great for some serious outside-the-map exploring nostalgia).
It doesn't feel a Halo game to Halo fans. Only newer fans that started with Reach or later claim it does. Once in a while you'll encounter a "check mate" comment like, "I've been playing since CE and Halo 5 is a good game." But people that say things like that are irrelevant, because an actual fan doesn't have to mention how long he's been playing to see and feel the difference between the older and newer games. We loved those games because they were different.
You as a new player might like Halo 5. It's only 20 dollars, but takes like 3 hours or more to download. On its own without the title of "Halo" it's an ok arena shooter, but it does suffer from balance issues like every other fps obviously, especially in ranked. Just stick with social. If you want to played ranked and have a fun, challenging experience while getting better, just a get friend and play Doubles. You'll have a higher chance of getting a balanced match. 4v4 is extremely frustrating in this game.
I can remember the first time watching people playing this, and I'm thinking, this is so cool. I started in halo CE anniversary, moved onto halo 3, that was fun, then I move onto Reach, and I'm just amazed with the game, halo 4 was the game where i lost a bit of my nooberty, but also wasn't amazed with the campaign. halo 5 and I watch people play it and I'm thinking, this looks and plays awesome, a bit confused by the req system, but still, loved it. now, I'm playing halo 5, and I am amazed, there's a special place in my heart for castle wars, warzone on battle of noctus and apex 7. now i just try to have fun in arena, grind commendations and 152, and get my daily req packs. but I will always remember how awesome it felt to use so many new abilities and the battle rifle redesign, as in, not a brick for a sight, and the firing sound actually sounded like 3 bullets coming out of a gun, instead of a squeaky child screaming.
It doesn't feel a Halo game to Halo fans. Only newer fans that started with Reach or later claim it does. Once in a while you'll encounter a "check mate" comment like, "I've been playing since CE and Halo 5 is a good game." But people that say things like that are irrelevant, because an actual fan doesn't have to mention how long he's been playing to see and feel the difference between the older and newer games. We loved those games because they were different.
You as a new player might like Halo 5. It's only 20 dollars, but takes like 3 hours or more to download. On its own without the title of "Halo" it's an ok arena shooter, but it does suffer from balance issues like every other fps obviously, especially in ranked. Just stick with social. If you want to played ranked and have a fun, challenging experience while getting better, just a get friend and play Doubles. You'll have a higher chance of getting a balanced match. 4v4 is extremely frustrating in this game.
Yea im one of those newer fans bc im younger.
I can remember the first time watching people playing this, and I'm thinking, this is so cool. I started in halo CE anniversary, moved onto halo 3, that was fun, then I move onto Reach, and I'm just amazed with the game, halo 4 was the game where i lost a bit of my nooberty, but also wasn't amazed with the campaign. halo 5 and I watch people play it and I'm thinking, this looks and plays awesome, a bit confused by the req system, but still, loved it. now, I'm playing halo 5, and I am amazed, there's a special place in my heart for castle wars, warzone on battle of noctus and apex 7. now i just try to have fun in arena, grind commendations and 152, and get my daily req packs. but I will always remember how awesome it felt to use so many new abilities and the battle rifle redesign, as in, not a brick for a sight, and the firing sound actually sounded like 3 bullets coming out of a gun, instead of a squeaky child screaming.
Nice. It used to be very competitive.
GP Carry wrote:
First post here.

Been a loyal fan since CE. Still remember how excited I was when my parents got me my first Xbox (with the OG Duke controller) just so I could play Halo. This is coming from someone in their late 20s who spent endless hours playing H2/H3 online. Other priorities took over for the better part of the last ~8ish years, so I never really played H4 or H5 online (did make the time to play through campaigns when each of those games were initially released). Found campaigns for H4 and H5 were both underwhelming.

I just started getting back into Halo during quarantine. There is a lot that I like about it. I think the addition of sprint and thrusting for quick movements gives the franchise a place in today's world of shooters (no sprint/thrusters just wouldn't bode well with the latest generation of young(er) gamers). That being said, wish they did not have the Spartan rush/shoulder bash and ground pound. The former is especially annoying -- I find it puts skilled shooters at a disadvantage when they are juggling multiple enemies in close quarters with accurate gunplay. Example from last night: well-placed frag followed by BR gets me a quick double-kill, start shooting at third enemy who is charging...and I am dead from a shoulder bash.

I am still trying to get the hang of the whole REQ pack system in the game. To start, I don't blindly oppose it on the basis of 343 finding a way to incorporate micro-transactions. For my first few days with H5 online, I was primarily playing Arena. I'd collect points, then buy packs and sell most of the stuff since I wasn't playing any Warzone. I started playing Warzone last night for the first time (mix of the normal and FF modes). Is it just me or do you get a ton of packs for just playing that game type? I'd finish FF matches and be sitting on 7 gold packs after the match. It didn't make sense to me why I was getting so much more unlockables in that mode vs traditional Arenas (actual packs, not points that I could redeem for packs). My biggest gripe with FF in my limited experience so far is that it seems top performance is heavily skewed towards players who opt for vehicles. First few games I was staying out of vehicles (never been my Halo play style) and I would consistently finish middle of the pack. As soon as I started hopping in Ghosts once they unlocked in-game, I was instantly jumping to the #1-2 position in my FF matches. Seems like a lot of other players do the same (e.g., hunker down in Wraiths or play aggressively in ghosts).

Side note - As part of getting back into Halo recently I also picked up MCC. Can't tell you how much fun I had going back and playing through CE through H3 and doing some the old speed run tricks again. The live toggle for switching between old/new graphics was a really nice touch too (great for some serious outside-the-map exploring nostalgia).
Welcome to halowaypoint! And yes I am also a loyal, competitive fan. MCC is very fun. And i agree with all of this
want to be influenced by comments from strangers? that you don't even know if his opinion is sincere?
You must play it and made your own thoughts
Alucardko wrote:
want to be influenced by comments from strangers? that you don't even know if his opinion is sincere?
Yes i know that. When you've never played something you wanna learn what it is first.
Campaign contains the worst storyline of all the halo games. Its also the worst campaign ive played in any game yet. The art style and many other things such as false advertising made it even worse.
The multiplayer is the best ive played in years. From forge and customs to warzone and arena its definitly worth to buy h5 only because of it. I even prefer it above h3.
Campaign contains the worst storyline of all the halo games. Its also the worst campaign ive played in any game yet. The art style and many other things such as false advertising made it even worse.
The multiplayer is the best ive played in years. From forge and customs to warzone and arena its definitly worth to buy h5 only because of it. I even prefer it above h3.
So weak in campaign and strong in multiplayer
Alucardko wrote:
Yes i know that. When you've never played something you wanna learn what it is first.
You really ought to pick it up and play it for yourself. If you want the most general response boiled down that is still going to have a ton of deviation:

Campaign = Not so good
Multiplayer = Great

This is just the general consensus you see repeated, check out reviews at the time the game came out.

Personally I love Halo 5, the storyline itself for the campaign was my least favorite of all Halo games so far, that being said there were some really cool levels in the campaign and playing it with 3 other players is definitely the optimal way to experience it. But there are definitely some flaws in it.

Multiplayer is fantastic. This is gonna depend on where you fall on the "advanced mobility" card. I enjoy the classic games, Halo 5 throws more options at you with thrust, spartan charge, ground pound, hover, power slide, etc. I tend to go back to Halo 5's multiplayer because the gameplay is so polished, but I wouldn't say I have an incredibly strong preference over the classic games. I enjoy all Halo MP!

Definitely try it out, I think Halo 5 is probably the Halo I've put the most time into. It is going on 5 years old, still a blast to play online and is going strong!
I think Halo 5 feels like Halo, but I can understand why people don't like it. I've always been more of a campaign player than multiplayer, but the Halo 5 campaign was atrocious. I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they made it, it's all over the place. LateNightGaming did a video years back talking about how it was actually Microsoft who ended up ultimately sabotaging the development. Personally, I believe that, but he received death threats and harassment and had to take the video down and never talked about it again (the community can be quite toxic sometimes). I actually really enjoyed the multiplayer though, especially Warzone, which most people didn't. If you like Battlefield Conquest, you'll probably like Warzone.

The advanced movement mechanics were really controversial, but I personally liked them. Halo 2 is my favourite Halo, but the lack of sprint is something I find kind of annoying. I just found that the top walking speed in Halo 1, 2 & 3 were brutally slow. It just seems weird, especially given the fact that you're playing as a super soldier. If they do remove sprint in Halo Infinite, which they probably will, I just hope they increase the walking speed.

What I think they should have done from the beginning is created a dedicated separate series of "classic" multiplayer playlists with advanced movement disabled for the people that don't like it. I've suggested this several times in various threads over the years, and I've repeatedly gotten flagged and banned from threads for suggesting it, I have no idea why lmao. Ironically they just did this recently, and it was well received, but it was a limited time featured playlist.