Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Paying More for Less (H5 lacks a $60 value)

OP NinjaJ10

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
So let me get this straight; I paid 60 bucks for a game that only features a campaign, a less than small handful of multiplayer modes, and... uh... yeah...

Let's see what we're missing when comparing Halo 5 to it's predecessors:

Forge? check
Firefight/Spartan Ops/New game mode? check
Big Team Battle? check
Ranked and Social matchmaking playlists? (Josh Holmes and the rest of the multiplayer team must have changed their minds.) check
Vetoing/Voting for maps? check
Partying up with teammates post-game? check (This point as well as the two proceeding points may not seem pivotal, but the game's longevity greatly benefits when taken into account)
File Share/Browser? check
Split-Screen? check
A wide variety of Custom Games options? check (This thread obviously meant nothing to 343)
A wide variety of customization options? (Spartan arm, leg, shoulder, and chest pieces, interchangeable emblems and backgrounds, handpicking emblem colors, etc) check

And that's just off the top of my head.

It's just mind boggling how 343 can release such a game with minimal features and still deem it a "Triple A" title. And I fail to see how releasing crucial modes and content, such as Forge, into the game months after launch is a good idea when games like Black Ops 3, Battlefront, Fallout 4, etc will have already been released by then, thus heavily diminishing Halo 5's population; making the release of said content make very little difference in the long run. I guess longevity isn't what 343 was going for when planning out this game's lifespan. Sure, it's great that all future content will be free to everyone, but why not release a game with as much content as possible in order to keep people interested from the start rather than trying to keep people interested later on?

i like the muitlplayer but the story took me 5-6 hours to complete and it doesnt finish the story so meaning theres ganna be another halo and it really isnt worth 60$
You know, half the $60 games out there don't have HALF the stuff on that list, right? You people are unbearable.
Many of what you are complaining about will be fixed once forge is released in December. Oh and before you say it should have been out with the game, I would rather wait for a complete well made forge system, than have a broken, half finished one at launch.
You know, half the $60 games out there don't have HALF the stuff on that list, right? You people are unbearable.
Remember when games actually came out with everything on the first day? And DLC was actually DLC?
It really is a shame... 343 needs to implement new playlists this weekend. It's one thing to ship with missing content...but to do that AND offer minimal number of playlists is low.
Many of what you are complaining about will be fixed once forge is released in December. Oh and before you say it should have been out with the game, I would rather wait for a complete well made forge system, than have a broken, half finished one at launch.
I'd rather wait and let them ship a fully completed and polished product. You're not shocking the world by suggesting you'd rather have a functional something as opposed to a broken something. Everyone agrees with you. There are things called principles, and this is one of those things.
Remember when games actually came out with everything on the first day? And DLC was actually DLC?
Games were also less expensive to produce on less complicated hardware. I also prefer games only be released when they are complete and for DLC to be what we once knew it as: game expansions. However, I recognize that between the used game market (which profits retailers and not the dev/publishers), high production costs, and server maintenance, the economics of game development have changed. I'll live with the DLC part. But I'd like to avoid stuff like the Destiny debacle.

Anyway, 343 has already announced a number of things are on the way. Elements, I never cared about anyway, but I think I will get into them given the passion of those who clearly miss those features.
And that justifies Halo 5's lack of content?? And yet, I'm unbearable???

You know, 99% of the games that you're probably referring to don't have the word "Halo" on the cover.
mojo9205 wrote:
Games were also less expensive to produce on less complicated hardware. I also prefer games only be released when they are complete and for DLC to be what we once knew it as: game expansions. However, I recognize that between the used game makes (which profits retailers and not the dev/publishers), high production costs, and server maintenance, the economics of game development have changed. I'll live with the DLC part. But I'd like to avoid stuff like the Destiny debacle.

Anyway, 343 has already announced a number of things are on the way. Elements, I never cared about anyway, but I think I will get into them given the passion of those who clearly miss those features.
Free DLC for Halo 5....just so you know.
What I find unbearable, personally, is being told I'm unbearable for expecting a level of quality which was established over a decade ago, and replicated and improved upon time and again...until Halo 4 launched.

Regardless what one thinks about Reach's gameplay quality, the amount of content that game shipped with was fantastic. That $60 bought you a Halo game filled to the brim with content, and that's part of what made Halo special. It wasn't like all the other $60 games people pick up and put down a week later, and did with Halo 4.

I don't care what another game ships with. I care about what content Halo games do or do not ship with, and I come to this Halo website to discuss Halo. You can point to the average game and say this is fine, but I expect Halo to set and uphold a standard of quality that goes largely unmatched, because that's the game series I cared enough to sign up for forums to discuss.

Those avg games that do as 343 has with H5 with regards to amount of content at launch have never had myself as a member of their forums...if coincidences do exist, I assure you they don't here.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I paid $60 for every madden I've ever purchased.... I'll gladly dish out 60 bucks for every Halo
mojo9205 wrote:
Games were also less expensive to produce on less complicated hardware. I also prefer games only be released when they are complete and for DLC to be what we once knew it as: game expansions. However, I recognize that between the used game makes (which profits retailers and not the dev/publishers), high production costs, and server maintenance, the economics of game development have changed. I'll live with the DLC part. But I'd like to avoid stuff like the Destiny debacle.

Free DLC for Halo 5....just so you know.
I know. Free DLC funded by microtransactions in Warzone.
Other games don't justify 343's actions. The fact any game does it, does not justify it.
NinjaJ10 wrote:
And that justifies Halo 5's lack of content?? And yet, I'm unbearable???

You know, 99% of the games that you're probably referring to don't have the word "Halo" on the cover.
Yes.

Because you're whining about the price tag, not the content. Halo 5 is well worth $60. Just because they didn't have time to finish Forge or BTB before release doesn't mean all of a sudden the game is half done. Of course, you could ask them to push the release back 6 months or whatever JUST to appeal to the Forgers but frankly as someone who doesn't give a damn about Forge I'm extremely happy they released the game now so I can play it while they work on adding a couple minor features for free later on.

Your whole argument basically boils down to a toddler screaming "I WANT IT NOWWWW". It's coming. It's free. Stop.
Man's got a point. As I've been saying all along, 343 has lowered our standards so far that just releasing something playable is something commendable. We don't mind that we're getting less for more because hey, the servers are up.
What I find unbearable, personally, is being told I'm unbearable for expecting a level of quality which was established over a decade ago, and replicated and improved upon time and again...until Halo 4 launched.

Regardless what one thinks about Reach's gameplay quality, the amount of content that game shipped with was fantastic. That $60 bought you a Halo game filled to the brim with content, and that's part of what made Halo special. It wasn't like all the other $60 games people pick up and put down a week later, and did with Halo 4.

I don't care what another game ships with. I care about what content Halo games do or do not ship with, and I come to this Halo website to discuss Halo. You can point to the average game and say this is fine, but I expect Halo to set and uphold a standard of quality that goes largely unmatched, because that's the game series I cared enough to sign up for forums to discuss.

Those avg games that do as 343 has with H5 with regards to amount of content at launch have never had myself as a member of their forums...if coincidences do exist, I assure you they don't here.
You're unbearable
Go play Titanfall or Star Wars Battlefield and get back to me.

Forge is coming . . . for free

More maps are coming . . . for free (which, btw, launched with 15 which isn't small)

Campaign was an average length . . . and split screen has nothing to do with your $60 value. Features != content

And to top this off, 100% of this information was known before release, so why did you buy it? If this upsets you, blame yourself because you are an uninformed consumer.
Ok. So you don't find it odd that 343 was able to include a 24 player mode at launch yet push back the release of a 16 player mode with smaller maps? Are you joking?

Either 343 is simply forcing Warzone down our throats as much as they can (which causes more people to buy req packs - Cha-Ching!!) which makes them inconsiderate, or Forge mode really isn't complete implying that the game was rushed making 343 incompetent.

The situation is grim either way.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3