Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Playlist Shenanigans

OP DaxSeven09

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I am kind of surprised that no one has posted a discussion on this yet. It is close to a full 24 hours since the Raises Xpectations - Community Update. There wasn't much on Halo 5 news, and next to nothing about the Weapons Update; but I did find a certain part about the changes in some of the playlists that were interesting.

Here's a breakdown of what is happening. You can scroll to the Playlist Plate Tectonics section for more detail:

• Oddball playlist to be replaced with the Anniversary Throwback playlist.
  • HCS playlist will transition to HaloWC Oddball, to feature BR/GF starts!
So like I said, how are you guys not talking about this?! There are some good details from Josh Menke giving an explanation why they are trying this. I would suggest you all take a moment to read it.

I am so excited for both of these changes to be happening. Yet, another thing to be involved with helping to shape how things go in Halo. This all starts sometime next week. There wasn't a specific day.

Also, one thing that could've been the most important:

Quote:
...we will be working towards our longstanding goal of merging HCS and Team Arena into a single, healthier playlist.
I believe this is a well needed transition, and will help with the population finding games in the playlist.
People are too busy crying and moaning about the weapons update to care. That's why no one's talking about it.
People are too busy crying and moaning about the weapons update to care. That's why no one's talking about it.
You are probably right. But this is kind of a big change that could arrive for those of us who frequent these playlists.

Also, I think it's been over a year since we had Anniversary Throwback, and how odd that the Oddball playlist was really only up for a week. I am super excited about that. When it was available that's all I played.
I was quite interested in these comments, "In the (very) near future, you’ll notice some particularly substantial playlist adjustments in Halo 5" and "Here are the first things you’ll see get tweaked" because they insinuate more shake up than just what they listed.

I'm hoping this means we get something like this:

RANKED ARENA: 7 Active Playlists
  • Arena (4v4 + Abilities Tracker)
  1. Slayer
  2. CTF
  3. Strongholds
  4. Oddball
  • Objective (4v4 + Motion Tracker)
  1. CTF
  2. Strongholds
  3. Oddball
  4. Assault (Neutral Bomb)
  • Slayer (4v4 + Motion Tracker)
  • SWAT (4v4; no radar)
  • Grifball (4v4)
  • Doubles (2v2 + Abilities Tracker)
  • FFA (6 + Abilities Tracker?)
SOCIAL ARENA: 7 Active Playlists
  • Big Team Battle (8v8 + Motion Tracker)
  1. Slayer
  2. CTF
  3. Assault (Neutral Bomb)
  4. Strongholds
  • Breakout (4v4)
  • Super Fiesta (5v5 + Motion Tracker)
  • Action Sack (variable; mixed-bag of wacky customs & mini-games)
  • Infection (8)
  • Shotty Snips (4v4; no radar) - occasionally replaced with Mythic Shotty Snips for a week
  • Featured [Weekly or Bi-Weekly Rotational] - a particular mode gets featured for a period of time
  1. Throwback (CE, H2, & H3) - I'm disappointed 343i didn't provide us with a proper 1-sided game mode with the Overtime Update.
  2. Rock 'N Rail
  3. Rumble Pit
  4. Multi-Team
  5. Covenant Slayer
  6. Community Skirmish
  7. [something new?]
eLantern wrote:
I was quite interested in these comments, "In the (very) near future, you’ll notice some particularly substantial playlist adjustments in Halo 5" and "Here are the first things you’ll see get tweaked" because they insinuate more shake up than just what they listed.

I'm hoping this means we get something like this:

RANKED ARENA: 7 Active Playlists
  • Arena (4v4 + Abilities Tracker)
  1. Slayer
  2. CTF
  3. Strongholds
  4. Oddball
  • Objective (4v4 + Abilities Tracker)
  1. CTF
  2. Strongholds
  3. Oddball
  4. Assault (Neutral Bomb)
  • Slayer (4v4 + Abilities Tracker)
  • SWAT (4v4; no radar)
  • Grifball (4v4)
  • Doubles (2v2 + Abilities Tracker)
  • FFA (6 + Abilities Tracker)
SOCIAL ARENA: 7 Active Playlists
  • Big Team Battle (8v8 + Motion Tracker)
  1. Slayer
  2. CTF
  3. Assault (Neutral Bomb)
  4. Strongholds
  • Breakout (4v4)
  • Super Fiesta (5v5 + Motion Tracker)
  • Action Sack (variable; mixed-bag of wacky customs & mini-games)
  • Infection (8)
  • Shotty Snips (4v4; no radar) - occasionally replaced with Mythic Shotty Snips for a week
  • Featured [Weekly or Bi-Weekly Rotational] - a particular mode gets featured for a period of time
  1. Throwback (CE, H2, & H3) - I'm disappointed 343i didn't provide us with a proper 1-sided game mode with the Overtime Update.
  2. Rock 'N Rail
  3. Rumble Pit
  4. Multi-Team
  5. Covenant Slayer
  6. [something new?]
That's a great list! I would love to see a return of Rumble Pit and an Objective playlist. Sadly I don't think the population could support all of these right now.

I was also intrigued by that quote you listed. I wonder if Skirmish will make it's return.
I did see this, but just too busy today to post it...and I knew you or someone would lol :p

I do like the idea of combining the HCS/Arena playlist as they're supposed to be the same playlist anyways but I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you put the ability tracker radar as the default radar for all or most of the ranked playlists, your going to have a crap load of people complaining. If 343I or anyone thought the backlash on the weapons tuning is bad... just wait until they do this if they do. I'll admit, I prefer the motion tracker radar but I don't hate the tracker one, but a lot of people I play with want nothing to do with it. If ranked becomes tracker ability radars, they won't even play Halo anymore as they only like ranked.

Alot of people don't want that style of radar in ranked playlists. I think most have no issue with it being the default radar for the pro playlist, HCS/MLG or whatever that is but if it becomes the default radar in ranked, a lot of people will stop playing ranked, or worst, halo all together. People see that radar as more competitive. What's been one of the biggest complaints about Halo 5?? It's too competitive. This won't help things, I'm telling you right now.

Not to mention it will be extremely difficult for people who are used to the motion tracker radar to then go and play playlists that uses a different style of radar. Both Radars have very different strategies. Having the social playlists use the motion tracker radar will only just lead to a pile of people that are good but don't like the Spartan ability tracker playing those playlists more, and we know what that will cause... Yep, more complaints.

To me, you want to encourage people to play ranked and having social and ranked play differently doesn't help that I feel.

To me, the smart play is have the settings the same in Ranked and Social (like it's always been) and have whatever settings you want for the pro playlist (HCS, MLG, whatever...)
I really don't think they are going to add the Ability Tracker to anything but Team Arena since/when it is merged with HCS. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was surprised that more people didn't complain about it though when it was in the Tuning playlist. I was thinking that maybe less players noticed it if being different.
Its gonna be fun to play throwback again. Is oddball going to be put into it you think?
Nooga wrote:
Its gonna be fun to play throwback again. Is oddball going to be put into it you think?
Yeah, it's gonna be a toss up between HaloWC Oddball and Throwback to play, but no Oddballnin Throwback. It will be Slayer and CTF only.
Meh. I was never big on Oddball as a gamemode, and thus I'm not really invested in talking about it. That being said, Oddball having a potential to become an HCS playlist is intriguing, as it would be the first, I guess "social" playlist to transition over to that side of Halo since, well I don't know. It should hopefully serve as a welcome refreshment to both the players and spectators alike as it provides a new method of play over your standard "Kill everyone" or "Hold this stationary object" type thing. I'll be interested to see how the pros adapt to the mode.

Also, I get the feeling that the whole thing about "working towards our longstanding goal of merging HCS and Team Arena into a single, healthier playlist" should've been announced a looong time ago. Might've made some of the changes to the game, such as the tracker, have a bit more sense behind it.
This is great!
Wraith0912 wrote:
Meh. I was never big on Oddball as a gamemode, and thus I'm not really invested in talking about it. That being said, Oddball having a potential to become an HCS playlist is intriguing, as it would be the first, I guess "social" playlist to transition over to that side of Halo since, well I don't know. It should hopefully serve as a welcome refreshment to both the players and spectators alike as it provides a new method of play over your standard "Kill everyone" or "Hold this stationary object" type thing. I'll be interested to see how the pros adapt to the mode.

Also, I get the feeling that the whole thing about "working towards our longstanding goal of merging HCS and Team Arena into a single, healthier playlist" should've been announced a looong time ago. Might've made some of the changes to the game, such as the tracker, have a bit more sense behind it.
I remember seeing Josh mentioning it a couple of times in the feedback playlist, and now that I think about it it may have been mentioned in a community update as well when the HCS playlist first was started. HCS was originally Team Arena.

I really hope Oddball works for them. It will be awesome to watch in Worlds next year.
I would love to see oddball in HCS. It can only work on certain maps though like The Rig, Eden, Tyrant, Coli, and Mercy. Love if it would be BR/GM start.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Nooga wrote:
Yeah, it's gonna be a toss up between HaloWC Oddball and Throwback to play, but no Oddballnin Throwback. It will be Slayer and CTF only.
Thats a bit disapointing. Oddball in H3 was really fun.
I would love to see oddball in HCS. It can only work on certain maps though like The Rig, Eden, Tyrant, Coli, and Mercy. Love if it would be BR/GM start.
Well you have part of your wish granted. There will be BR/GM starts, and these are the maps:
Plaza, Eden, Overgrowth, Empire, The Rig, Truth, and Mercy
So these changes are supposed to happen some time this week. Keep an eye out for it guys/gals! It will be a good ole time in HaloWC Oddball, and some Anniversary play time!
DaxSeven09 wrote:
I'm a bit saddened by this one, I was out of town last week and didn't get a chance to give it a proper go. I'll have to wait for it to come back around in the rotation.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
I'm a bit saddened by this one, I was out of town last week and didn't get a chance to give it a proper go. I'll have to wait for it to come back around in the rotation.
Well, in theory you will have a chance, since HCS will be all Oddball for a bit with BR/GF starts nonetheless. :)

I was wondering why you weren't around here btw.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Ranked Oddball As some of you saw in the blog update, we will be rolling out Ranked Oddball with Battle Rifle / Gunfighter Magnum starts fairly soon. We are currently doing a due diligence pass on the maps to make sure a) we have weapon placements that make sense in a Ranked Oddball (including there actually being an Oddball on the map...) and 2) the weapon placements work with BR/GFM starts.

Once that work is done, we’ll switch the HCS playlist over to being a Halo World Championship Oddball Preview list. We’re doing that to focus feedback on a potential new HCS mode, and to more quickly find any blatant issues we missed on our first pass.

As some of you have already correctly guessed (based on me reading some reddit comments), with the new weapon tunings, we are testing the BR/GFM as a starting loadout because it gives a precision primary, with a skilled close quarters clean-up weapon.
Just a little update. I know this is kind of late. Basically still waiting while they are testing it out. This was on Monday so maybe today is the day!
I'm just still trying to play an HCS FFA playlist on MP online!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2