Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

plz fix halo campaign story

OP YounesLive

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I didn't write those transcripts, synopses, and analyses of each episode for nothin', ya know? I've followed HTT extremely closely, so I know every facet of it thus far, and I can say without a doubt it fits perfectly where it is, there's no issue with it being a part of the lore, you just have to be able to connect the dots between the game and HTT with a little bit of thought. It gives the player the ability to delve into deeper thought, and speculate, which is perfect for a Halo game, and it's why I think Halo 5 and HTT go hand in hand.
OH HEY GUYS ANOTHER CRY POST!

What is it this time? Is the campaign too hard? did your fingers hurt while aiming? Was there too much going on for you? Did YOU not like the story of the h5 campaign? oh well thats just too bad.
Twizery wrote:
OH HEY GUYS ANOTHER CRY POST!

What is it this time? Is the campaign too hard? did your fingers hurt while aiming? Was there too much going on for you? Did YOU not like the story of the h5 campaign? oh well thats just too bad.
What's up with posts like this? ^^^^^ People who enjoyed previous Halo games (or are new to Halo) are just voicing their opinions on the campaign, saying what they liked and disliked. They're critiquing the game and as fans who probably bought and played it, it's their obligation to express how they feel about a game that was MADE for THEM [Paying Fans]. If I pay 60 bucks for something and I don't like it, I'm gonna say something. Same with these guys, let them talk.

Now to the OP, I do agree and think the whole hunt thing was a load of BS. I also think that the squad/team A.I. was way too simple, but then again I only played on Normal so maybe they get more intense on higher difficulties. I felt that campaign was sort of stitched together, and had little run offs here and there, but besides that I did enjoy it, at least as a regular video game campaign if not a Halo one.

On a MP side note, I think the gameplay mechanics such as health, speed, and the like is great for warzone, but just too fast for team slayer and those types of CQC 4v4 game modes/maps. I also think radar is too short and respawn time is too long. But all this is just my opinion. Thanks to whom ever cared enough to read it. Peace.
Nothing wrong with the campaign. Read into the lore and then play the game again.
I think the argument is you shouldn't have to do that but thank you for your needless comment.

Oh my I'm being so passive aggressive right now hehe :3
Twizery wrote:
OH HEY GUYS ANOTHER CRY POST!

What is it this time? Is the campaign too hard? did your fingers hurt while aiming? Was there too much going on for you? Did YOU not like the story of the h5 campaign? oh well thats just too bad.
What's up with posts like this? ^^^^^ People who enjoyed previous Halo games (or are new to Halo) are just voicing their opinions on the campaign, saying what they liked and disliked. They're critiquing the game and as fans who probably bought and played it, it's their obligation to express how they feel about a game that was MADE for THEM [Paying Fans]. If I pay 60 bucks for something and I don't like it, I'm gonna say something. Same with these guys, let them talk.

Now to the OP, I do agree and think the whole hunt thing was a load of BS. I also think that the squad/team A.I. was way too simple, but then again I only played on Normal so maybe they get more intense on higher difficulties. I felt that campaign was sort of stitched together, and had little run offs here and there, but besides that I did enjoy it, at least as a regular video game campaign if not a Halo one.

On a MP side note, I think the gameplay mechanics such as health, speed, and the like is great for warzone, but just too fast for team slayer and those types of CQC 4v4 game modes/maps. I also think radar and respawn time is too long. But all this is just my opinion. Thanks to whom ever cared enough to read it. Peace.
OMG finally someone who understands people can have opinions of there own without being passive aggressive to one another. You sure have my vote for presidency. Touché.
YounesLive wrote:
1. Why did they kill off Jul and abandon the whole Halsey revenge plotline so soon? They just kill him off in the first mission of the game with their new character out of nowhere. What about the whole revenge plot with Halsey? If they were just going to abandon it so soon why bother starting it in the first place? Why end Spartan Ops like that if it was just going to end up going nowhere? It almost feels like at some point after Spartan Ops 343i was going to go down that road but changed their minds randomly and now were stuck with these characters they had to get rid of.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but specifically this paragraph. I was shocked when they killed off Jul so quickly. Literally less than an hour into the game and they've killed off the main enemy from Spartan Ops. Why didn't 343 go into more detail with the whole Halsey allying with Jul plot line? It makes no sense.
Twizery wrote:
OH HEY GUYS ANOTHER CRY POST!

What is it this time? Is the campaign too hard? did your fingers hurt while aiming? Was there too much going on for you? Did YOU not like the story of the h5 campaign? oh well thats just too bad.
A guy who made an opinion about the story.

But in YOUR mind, he's crying because he had something to say about it with some reasoning?

oh well thats just too bad.

Its an opinion get over it lol.
Idiolectic wrote:
I didn't write those transcripts, synopses, and analyses of each episode for nothin', ya know? I've followed HTT extremely closely, so I know every facet of it thus far, and I can say without a doubt it fits perfectly where it is, there's no issue with it being a part of the lore, you just have to be able to connect the dots between the game and HTT with a little bit of thought. It gives the player the ability to delve into deeper thought, and speculate, which is perfect for a Halo game, and it's why I think Halo 5 and HTT go hand in hand.
I agree 100%. It's just basic comprehension of the story and maybe a bit of critical thinking to be able to connect the dots.
Thank you all for your comments,
Don't get me wrong, halo 5 is , in general, a good game. I enjoyed playing through the campaign : gameplay, weapons, levels were fun and better that halo 1-4. Multiplayer , in general, is very good too.

my main critic was : people should'nt have to read or listen to the expanded lore to understand the main plotlines of a video game. Halo started as a videogame...i don't read books or listen to the radio for fun...i play videogames. How would people react, if they skipped over a whole book of lord of the rings and just made the 1st and 3rd movie and for everyone who got confused, they simply tell them to go and read the 2nd book. it doesnt make sense. I think the lore and expanded universe is there to satisfy those who are really super invested in the franchise ie the superfans..to satisfy their thirst of knowing every single details and expand on the main plotlines.

Again, take star wars for example....episode 7 will be set 30 years after episose 6 and i am pretty sure , that while watching it, people will not get confused about what the heck is going on ? and will not feel obliged to go read those novels , just to get up to date on the story. Yes, for the supefans , who really want to know evey detail, can enjoy the books. but for the regular fans...who watched episode 1-6, hopefully the movie will be enough to understand the main plotlines etc...

what u guys think ?

so for halo 5 : they could've showed masterchief reconnecting with blue team ( for details backstory of each member, yes, it can be in the comics etc.. ) . Locke assembling his osiris team and getting involved with infinity etc..
the whole halo 4 game was building up Cortana dying at the end....if they intended to resurrect her...they could've buid up the tension etc.. n than toward the end of halo 5 : BAM ! cortana is still alive !!! ( is it me, or she's uglier in the halo 5 cutscenes ? )
YounesLive wrote:
Thank you all for your comments,
Don't get me wrong, halo 5 is , in general, a good game. I enjoyed playing through the campaign : gameplay, weapons, levels were fun and better that halo 1-4. Multiplayer , in general, is very good too.

my main critic was : people should'nt have to read or listen to the expanded lore to understand the main plotlines of a video game. Halo started as a videogame...i don't read books or listen to the radio for fun...i play videogames. How would people react, if they skipped over a whole book of lord of the rings and just made the 1st and 3rd movie and for everyone who got confused, they simply tell them to go and read the 2nd book. it doesnt make sense. I think the lore and expanded universe is there to satisfy those who are really super invested in the franchise ie the superfans..to satisfy their thirst of knowing every single details and expand on the main plotlines.

Again, take star wars for example....episode 7 will be set 30 years after episose 6 and i am pretty sure , that while watching it, people will not get confused about what the heck is going on ? and will not feel obliged to go read those novels , just to get up to date on the story. Yes, for the supefans , who really want to know evey detail, can enjoy the books. but for the regular fans...who watched episode 1-6, hopefully the movie will be enough to understand the main plotlines etc...

what u guys think ?

so for halo 5 : they could've showed masterchief reconnecting with blue team ( for details backstory of each member, yes, it can be in the comics etc.. ) . Locke assembling his osiris team and getting involved with infinity etc..
the whole halo 4 game was building up Cortana dying at the end....if they intended to resurrect her...they could've buid up the tension etc.. n than toward the end of halo 5 : BAM ! cortana is still alive !!! ( is it me, or she's uglier in the halo 5 cutscenes ? )
Many of the points have actually been brought up as ideas for future games. Did it happen now? No, but the reason why we all disagree with your main thesis is that you closed your mind off from both the possibility of future games where they show some elaboration into Halo 5: Guardians AND lack of willingness to listen, read, and watch the basis for the game that is provided for you for free. I will say it again, the main lore plot lines you need to know for Halo 5: Guardians are:

  1. Hunt the Truth
  2. Halo: Escalation
  3. Halo 4 Campaign, Terminals, and Spartan Ops
  4. Halo: The Fall of REACH
  5. Halo 2: ANNIVERSARY Terminals
  6. Halo: NIGHTFALL
Quote:
5. Honestly it almost feels like large parts of this game were cutout. It would explain the very strange pacing of the story. Characters mention things that never get explained or resolved throughout the game. How did the Infinity already know of Cortana?
This is shown when Halsey is taken aboard the Infinity:
Did you intentionally skip points three and four? Man that is clever.

Sad thing is nothing you list ruins the game for me, yet I can find myself agreeing with so many of those points, or if not agreeing at least understand where you are coming from.
Halo has ALWAYS been an expansive universe that's been explored not only through the games, but through the books and other media. You could've (and obviously did) played through the entire first trilogy without ever knowing any of the backstory of the Forerunners, Precursors/Flood, Human/Covenant War, etc. Just like you can play through this entire game without knowing the backstory of Blue Team and Osiris Team. So if you're going to complain about lore being added into this game, well, I'm sorry to burst your reality bubble, but the ENTIRE SERIES IS ABOUT THE LORE. It's your own fault if you want to know the lore without actually reading the -Yoinking!- books, but shut your damn mouth and either become literate, or stay the hell off the forums crying about something that's your own fault.
I feel most people's issues are because Bungie made Halo: CE and then the EU began to form. After that, they pretty much ignored it until Reach. You could play beginning to end without ever stepping metaphorical foot outside of the games. The Engineers in ODST are really the only part where EU would have been helpful, but they pretty much explained it during the course of the game.

343 on the other hand seems to be trying to incorporate as much of the EU into their Halo games as they can. The Spartan-II program, Halsey's imprisonment, Didact, Librarian, Ancient Humanity, Infinity, ONI, and Covenant splinter groups are the ones that come to mind at the moment. All of these things only existed in the EU pre-Halo 4 and they all showed up in some form in Halo 4/ Spartan Ops. Halo 5 does the same in having EU backstory be necessary to understand parts of the story: Escalation, New Blood, Hunters in the Dark, Last Light, Nightfall. For people used to Bungie-Era Halo storytelling of singular focus on what the Master Chief is doing right now, the multiple plots can be very hard to follow and understand. Especially as they have never had to leave the game to keep up before.

Personally, I love that we now have EU content(BLUE TEAM WHOO!!) in Halo games, but it sometimes does feel that 343 is relying awfully heavy on the EU set up their story for them.
Quote : ''For people used to Bungie-Era Halo storytelling of singular focus on what the Master Chief is doing right now, the multiple plots can be very hard to follow and understand. Especially as they have never had to leave the game to keep up before.

Personally, I love that we now have EU content(BLUE TEAM WHOO!!) in Halo games, but it sometimes does feel that 343 is relying awfully heavy on the EU set up their story for them.''

Yes, thank you....someone is understanding me.
the blind love for 343 is unreal... I really don't get. I love the MP but the campaign is a stinker for sure, worst in the franchise. not a terrible experience but not on the level of other halo games. out of the 8 playable characters, I only cared about two, chief and buck. everyone else could have died and I wouldn't of given a flying f. the dialogue was terrible, no character connecting, not much of anything really. just a crap fest that feels like a half baked campaign, with a three year wait to see the ending. the next game should be called Halo 5.5 because this campaign was so incomplete.
Pretty ironic coming from a Buck fan. Do you even know why Buck decided to enter the Spartan Program after Halo 3? Because it's not in the game, yet you feel attached to the character regardless.
When you played the first Halo game... did you know Anything about what was going on?
Did you already know about the covenant? Did you know why they were chasing The Autumn? Did you know where the crew and the MC were in relation to the over arching story line of the Halo Universe? Did you know about the Cole Protocol?
No, you were Thrust into a narrative that was many years into a war you knew nothing about, and not only that, but we were given bits and pieces along the games play through of what the hell was going on, why the covenant were attacking us and so on and so forth. Not to mention the completely new issue of randomly finding themselves on the Halo Ring and how That played into the story.

So, instead of being hand fed information like one massive cinematic cutscene, the game thrusts us back into already developed issues and plots raging through the Halo universe and we are pretty much urged to run with it. As we were in Halo: CE. Don't question, just go go go! Answers will come with experience. Why are we fighting that guy? Well, just play on and see where it takes us! Why did that one character act like that? Well, play on and see! Answers will be revealed.
Did they say this was the final Halo game? No, this is just another chapter.

Anyway, so far, Halo 5 has given me just enough information on a variety of things to peak my interest. Makes me want to play more. Makes me want to delv more into the lore and possibly any other info packs (IE: books, comics, other games of this universe) that might come out.
It's all about teasing your audience with just enough, that it makes them want to look for more while still delivering a fun game in the process.

Just my take on it.
TL;DR Halo 5 plays somewhat similar to Halo: CE in that it pushes the player into an already developing story. It doesn't spoon feed you backstory with movies or boring dialogue. It thrusts you into the action and lets you try and figure out what the hell is going on for yourself.
YounesLive wrote:
Quote : ''For people used to Bungie-Era Halo storytelling of singular focus on what the Master Chief is doing right now, the multiple plots can be very hard to follow and understand. Especially as they have never had to leave the game to keep up before.

Personally, I love that we now have EU content(BLUE TEAM WHOO!!) in Halo games, but it sometimes does feel that 343 is relying awfully heavy on the EU set up their story for them.''

Yes, thank you....someone is understanding me.
Understanding: yes

Agreeing: no
(except on the marketing stuff, unless they're marketing for post Halo 5)
Any child would have known when Cortana split herself off into all those copies, that we were going to deal with a evil one.
So, just because Cortana split herself up at the end of Halo 4, to tie down the Didact and evidently should have been destroyed from the nuke, that automatically makes Evil Cortana a viable plot device for the next game? How pathetically cliche. The emergency slipspace jump from Mantle's Approach was nothing more than an asspull, as was the Domain miraculously opening back up. And don't even get me started about her sudden ability to be cured of rampancy just because she connected with the Domain, and even after doing so, with all of that wealth of knowledge opened up to her, she still seems to think that establishing a totalitarian Police State with her "join or die" attitude, is a good idea.

Her survival was not explained, the Domain's resurgence was not explained, the plot could not have more obviously been rewritten to cater towards all of the fanboys living in the past and couldn't possibly deal with Cortana's death! The story is nowhere near what it was advertised to be, and its becoming increasingly apparent that the Didact was supposed to fill her role in this game. She should have stayed dead as the countless sources from 343i themselves constantly tried to assure us, on top of all of the developer comments, and interviews regarding the matter. I have no doubt that Halo 5 is a good game, but the story is garbage.
http://ca.ign.com/videos/2015/11/02/spoilers-what-we-liked-and-didnt-like-about-halo-5s-story

Here you go ! They said pretty much what i am complaining about : the majority of halo fans only played the games....we got into halo because of the videogames. So they can't expect us all to read comics and radio blogs to keep track of the story, which resulted in pretty big plot holes, unintroduced characters etc.. for the majority of us, halo videogame , fans.

Again, i am not saying halo 5 was a bad game...it was the most fun campaign of all of them...BUT the story is too confusing and geared too much for the superfan vs regular , videogame only, fan.

thanks,
In regards to abandoning Halsey's revenge plot:

Everyone I know thought is was pretty clearly just her taking advantage of the situation to go deep cover with Jul. She didn't actually want revenge, she just used the situation to her own advantage. As Halsey does.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3