1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Promethians are the supposed to be the next big threat the ones who take the covenants place in Halo, so why are they so good damn boring to fight?!?

The promethians seem to be nothing more than bullet sponges, just enemies to shoot.
I have a few ideas on how to improve promethians and make them greatly funner to fight.

Let's start with the knights.
There was a great improvement over Halo 4 for the knights. The orange balls that you have to shoot was a good idea and make the knights fun to fight, but currently it the only viable way to kill them.
We should be able to just shoot them like in Halo 4 but not do as much damage as normal.

Watchers. The watchers as they are pretty fine. The only advice for watchers is lower how much damage they do as one or two of them can kill you if you your not paying attention.

Crawlers. Crawlers are a sorry excuse for an enemy they don't do much other than move side to side a few times and shoot. Now what you can do to make them better is have them use their ability to climb walls more so they can get an advantage over the player and bring back the sniper crawler but of course with damage reduction because you don't want tiny targets that can one shot you.

Soldiers. Soldiers.... There's nothing to them. They don't add any unique gameplay and I don't see anything you can do to them that the knights or crawlers can't. My best advice remove them.

These are just something 343 can do to make the promethians actually a fun and interesting enemy to fight.
I want to hear from the rest of you. What would you like to see 343 do to make them fun or do you think they are fun as they are now.
My vote is to re-introduce the flood and get some 3-way fights going again. Maybe even 4 way
My vote is to re-introduce the flood and get some 3-way fights going again. Maybe even 4 way
Prometheans vs covy vs flood vs UNSC vs Banish

or the B squad
SoS vs NCA vs covenant remains vs SotAT vs ONI vs Sentinels
If you’re having trouble killing them, for crawlers use precision weapons to headshot.

For soldiers use bolt shots and suppressors to strip armor, then headshot with another weapon.

For knights use suppressors or bolt shots to destroy core, then aim for face plate to remove then headshot.

For watchers use suppressors or bolt shots.
Watchers. The watchers as they are pretty fine. The only advice for watchers is lower how much damage they do as one or two of them can kill you if you your not paying attention.
You forgot the most annoying part about Watchers: healing other Prometheans. Especially bosses in firefight
Crawlers. Crawlers are a sorry excuse for an enemy they don't do much other than move side to side a few times and shoot. Now what you can do to make them better is have them use their ability to climb walls more so they can get an advantage over the player and bring back the sniper crawler but of course with damage reduction because you don't want tiny targets that can one shot you.
I also dislike fighting Crawlers because they're much more difficult to headshot than Grunts, for some reason
Soldiers. Soldiers.... There's nothing to them. They don't add any unique gameplay and I don't see anything you can do to them that the knights or crawlers can't. My best advice remove them.
I don't know, I didn't mind them because they allowed the Knights to be more of a heavy infantry in Halo 5 much like Hunters, whereas in Halo 4, the Knights were more equivalent to Elites. If they could find a way to make Soldiers more fun to fight against, that would be better.
Personally I'd rather not. I found the flood tedious and annoying to fight against :/
If you’re having trouble killing them, for crawlers use precision weapons to headshot.

For soldiers use bolt shots and suppressors to strip armor, then headshot with another weapon.

For knights use suppressors or bolt shots to destroy core, then aim for face plate to remove then headshot.

That's not what I'm saying.... I'm saying they are uninspiring and boring to fight.
That is an awesome idea
Why didn’t this return

That's not what I'm saying.... I'm saying they are uninspiring and boring to fight.
In what way? One of the first things you mentioned was them being bullet sponges so I offer a way to kill them quickly. It’s the same thing for covenant, aside from unprotected infantry, the covenant can be bullet sponges too without the know how on how to defeat them.

Your other reason that they are just enemies to shoot applies to all of the other halo enemies too.
Yeah I can agree fighting Prometheans just isn't fun. They are tedious and boring to fight really.
You forgot the most annoying part about Watchers: healing other Prometheans. Especially bosses in firefight
Yeah, that happened last night. Warden had about 25% health left and right after I shot him with a tank, almost immediately a Watcher fully restored his health. I can understand if we're not shooting him for a bit and his health gets restored, but not when we're actively shooting him. I thought it was complete bs. Luckily, it was early in the round and we still won.

For the OP, I agree that they're boring to fight. It's just not fun at all. I hope in H6 343 move away from the Prometheans and give us something more interesting.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Yeah, that happened last night. Warden had about 25% health left and right after I shot him with a tank, almost immediately a Watcher fully restored his health. I can understand if we're not shooting him for a bit and his health gets restored, but not when we're actively shooting him. I thought it was complete bs. Luckily, it was early in the round and we still won.
It is indeed total bs. I can't even tell you how many rounds I've lost because of that nonsense
LUKEPOWA wrote:
It is indeed total bs. I can't even tell you how many rounds I've lost because of that nonsense
Or just kill the watchers as soon as they show up. :\
Spoiler:
Show
The problem with the Prometheans is that they break certain "Do not do this" rules when it comes to enemy behaviour in First Person Shooters on Consoles. It's a known concept that it's not fun to shoot enemies in FPS games on consoles who are either very fast moving, or they're hard to hit, or they're bullet sponges, or they come back from the dead after killing them (or nearly killing them).

As enemies, the covenant did not really have these issues. Each enemy in the Covenant faction could be killed by shooting them outright, but they also had unique ways of defeating them whether it was using the plasma pistol to pop shields, flanking behind them to shoot them in their back, dodging them as they rage charged you, counter sniping, etc.This kept the engagements unique, fresh and fun.

Granted, I recognize that there are only so many ways to create to defeat an enemy in an FPS.

However, with the Prometheans, despite that some weapons may damage them more, the entire pattern of killing them is keeping your crosshairs on them and unloading bullets. Even the Knights who have specific weak points to target, can still be killed by unfocused brute force. This is not fun because it boils down not to unique ways of defeating them, but just to keeping track on them and firing.

It becomes even more frustrating because they have been specifically created to be fast moving and dodge sporadically in a 3D space. Covenant troops dodge bullets and grenades as well but its usually to the left or right and typically as a reaction to what the player is doing (shooting, or throwing a grenade). You can anticipate this dodge and counter it.

Crawlers, Watchers, Soldiers can dodge on all axis plains (X, Y, Z) at a moments notice and it's not usually in response to player action which is frustrating. You may be shooting at a soldier and they will teleport away (sometimes multiple times in a row), forcing you to reset your aim and continue firing. They easily nullify any and all strategy using their teleporting ability. If you have the high ground, they'll appear behind you. Combine that with their bullet-spongeness and long time to kill and it results in a frustrating gameplay experience. It's a sign of bad enemy gameplay design.

The same goes with crawlers which will swarm and kill you no matter where you're hiding, while they move in random directions with small hitboxes so they're difficult to hit/kill. Granted, it's easy to take them out with a rifle, but using any other weapon calls for unloading shots while they overrun you. Again, bad enemy gameplay design.

Lastly, Watchers are frustrating because they will just fly away at the sign of damage but return to complicate matters when you fight other enemies by regenerating their health, reviving them, or providing shields. So not only are they hard to hit, but they undo any progress you accomplish unless you take them out first, all the while soldiers, crawlers and knights are trying to take you out. The engineers in ODST performed better as a support character as buffed enemy troops but still had a fun experience in trying to kill them.

TL;DR: Instead of developing enemies which have unique ways of being taken out, the Prometheans were developed to force the player to unload lots of bullets while frantically trying to keep their crosshair on them while they dodge quickly in random directions and nullified any player advantage, and this makes for a poor gameplay experience.
Promethians are the supposed to be the next big threat the ones who take the covenants place in Halo, so why are they so good damn boring to fight?!?

The promethians seem to be nothing more than bullet sponges, just enemies to shoot.
I have a few ideas on how to improve promethians and make them greatly funner to fight.

There was a great improvement over Halo 4 for the knights. The orange balls that you have to shoot was a good idea and make the knights fun to fight, but currently it the only viable way to kill them.
We should be able to just shoot them like in Halo 4 but not do as much damage as normal.

These are just something 343 can do to make the promethians actually a fun and interesting enemy to fight.
I want to hear from the rest of you. What would you like to see 343 do to make them fun or do you think they are fun as they are now.
What you say is so biased that I can practically say the same thing about the Covenant. I mean, I love to play against the covenant they are exactly the same as the Prometheans.

Knights: Knights are almost if not EXACTLY like hunters. They are almost practically indestructible and not someone to take on lightly. However for hunters, you need to mainly shoot its back to do the most extreme damage and lay waste to their decreasing armor until they die or fire heavy artillery at them. Knights! On the other hand, are the same thing. Indestructible and has a weak spot. But there is something about the Knights that give them more of an edge to go against than Hunters....Knights has two weaks spots of a glowing orb between them and I know it makes them weaker, but destroying both isnt the only way to expose their back and kill them. Each time you destroy an orb, it will do an animation that makes the Knight expose his glowing face and you have the chance to kill him there. If you miss, you go again... if you miss, THEN you can kill him in the back or use heavy artillery against him.

Watchers: Watchers are more of a support enemy. They provide protection and their only defense is mainly running away like in Halo 4. But they decreased that mess and its fine now.

Crawlers: Crawlers can be related to with the Grunts of the covenant. Except for them, they are more agile and brave but are also as weak as them. They do have a special thing about them that Grunts dont have... they attack in LARGE groups. Grunts attack in large groups sometimes too but that isn't their instinct. Like the last mission on Halo 5 in the exhibit at the beginning area, Crawlers are happy when together or they whine. They fight in large groups and make that their most threatening about them.

Soldiers: Soldiers? They are EXACTLY like the Elites in the covenant. Say fight, specialty except they more mobile with their glowing mobile thing. They even have weak point to expose their armor in the joints of their body. Elites dont have weak points besides plasma damage.

Lastly, they were bullet sponges in HALO 4. They arent bullet sponges in Halo 5.

What you say is so biased that I can practically say the same thing about the Covenant. I mean, I love to play against the covenant they are exactly the same as the Prometheans.

Knights: Knights are almost if not EXACTLY like hunters. They are almost practically indestructible and not someone to take on lightly. However for hunters, you need to mainly shoot its back to do the most extreme damage and lay waste to their decreasing armor until they die or fire heavy artillery at them. Knights! On the other hand, are the same thing. Indestructible and has a weak spot. But there is something about the Knights that give them more of an edge to go against than Hunters....Knights has two weaks spots of a glowing orb between them and I know it makes them weaker, but destroying both isnt the only way to expose their back and kill them. Each time you destroy an orb, it will do an animation that makes the Knight expose his glowing face and you have the chance to kill him there. If you miss, you go again... if you miss, THEN you can kill him in the back or use heavy artillery against him.

Watchers: Watchers are more of a support enemy. They provide protection and their only defense is mainly running away like in Halo 4. But they decreased that mess and its fine now.

Crawlers: Crawlers can be related to with the Grunts of the covenant. Except for them, they are more agile and brave but are also as weak as them. They do have a special thing about them that Grunts dont have... they attack in LARGE groups. Grunts attack in large groups sometimes too but that isn't their instinct. Like the last mission on Halo 5 in the exhibit at the beginning area, Crawlers are happy when together or they whine. They fight in large groups and make that their most threatening about them.

Soldiers: Soldiers? They are EXACTLY like the Elites in the covenant. Say fight, specialty except they more mobile with their glowing mobile thing. They even have weak point to expose their armor in the joints of their body. Elites dont have weak points besides plasma damage.

Lastly, they were bullet sponges in HALO 4. They arent bullet sponges in Halo 5.
If they are the same with minor differences whats the point of even having them in if they add little to nothing to the game.
I like that they added the soldier but also feels like the buffed up knights alittle
Nooga wrote:
I always try to. But there are times when I can't clear them all out, particularly when I have unhelpful teammates
Nooga wrote:
I always try to. But there are times when I can't clear them all out, particularly when I have unhelpful teammates
DMR works well.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2