Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

PSA Aiming becomes "slower" after a few hours

OP Ignoble Bias

After playing for a few hours, I noticed that my aim felt slow/heavy. To fix it, I quit out of the Halo 5 app and restart the Xbox. I immediately noticed improved aiming. So I think it is safe to say you should restart your Xbox and Halo 5 once every hour to avoid it.

Next time it happens to me, I will use a high speed camera to measure the input lag.
Here is an update. After 3 hours of play, I noticed this "heavy aim". I checked the input lag and it came up at 56ms, which is normal.

Tomorrow I am gonna measure the sensitivity speed to check if its the same during "heavy aim"
Here is an update. After 3 hours of play, I noticed this "heavy aim". I checked the input lag and it came up at 56ms, which is normal.

Tomorrow I am gonna measure the sensitivity speed to check if its the same during "heavy aim"
When you get on, check the detailed diagnostic test results where it shows down speed, up speed, packet loss, latency etc.

Go into the advanced settings and change the port selection from automatic to manual, and redo the test using an alternate port.

I turned on my Xbox and had 85 latency, I do this and it dropped to 25 latency. Very significant difference in how it felt to play. High latency and NAT type can be fixed using this method. Both cause lag, what can feel like heavy aim, delayed actions on the screen where your shot seems to always come out late while the enemies doesn't. etc. Sometimes its server side, but these are in your control to a degree. So if people have issues with NAT not being open, high latency, this is probably the best first thing to do before you go into the router settings and set up port forwarding or try to do some other advanced fix. Sometimes it isn't necessary.

Sometimes these methods don't work and unfortunately sometimes the ISP just absolutely sucks. I cold start my Xbox each time I play. Its never left plugged in. So in my experience, turning it on theres the random port selected for me since it turns on under the automatic setting. It can either run good or not run good. It can be open NAT or moderate. This always fixes those 2 issues. I wish I could have even lower latency but this is the best I can get with what I have.
Pheinted wrote:

When you get on, check the detailed diagnostic test results where it shows down speed, up speed, packet loss, latency etc.

Go into the advanced settings and change the port selection from automatic to manual, and redo the test using an alternate port.

I turned on my Xbox and had 85 latency, I do this and it dropped to 25 latency. Very significant difference in how it felt to play. High latency and NAT type can be fixed using this method. Both cause lag, what can feel like heavy aim, delayed actions on the screen where your shot seems to always come out late while the enemies doesn't. etc. Sometimes its server side, but these are in your control to a degree. So if people have issues with NAT not being open, high latency, this is probably the best first thing to do before you go into the router settings and set up port forwarding or try to do some other advanced fix. Sometimes it isn't necessary.

Sometimes these methods don't work and unfortunately sometimes the ISP just absolutely sucks. I cold start my Xbox each time I play. Its never left plugged in. So in my experience, turning it on theres the random port selected for me since it turns on under the automatic setting. It can either run good or not run good. It can be open NAT or moderate. This always fixes those 2 issues. I wish I could have even lower latency but this is the best I can get with what I have.
It has nothing to do with internet connection. It never happens in MCC. And like I mentioned, after a xbox restart, everything works properly again for a few hours.
Pheinted wrote:

It has nothing to do with internet connection. It never happens in MCC. And like I mentioned, after a xbox restart, everything works properly again for a few hours.
oh so you're telling me magically your aim just slows down and there's no actual explanation to it? Ok, gotcha buddy 👌 keep doing what's working for you.
Pheinted wrote:
Pheinted wrote:

oh so you're telling me magically your aim just slows down and there's no actual explanation to it? Ok, gotcha buddy 👌 keep doing what's working for you.
Heavy aim has been a problem in H5 for many people over the years. I didn’t believe it either and then I encountered (or at least noticed) the problem for the first time late last year. It is quite intrusive.
tuhin94 wrote:
Pheinted wrote:
Pheinted wrote:

Heavy aim has been a problem in H5 for many people over the years. I didn’t believe it either and then I encountered (or at least noticed) the problem for the first time late last year. It is quite intrusive.
Im not at all saying it doesn't exist. I've been in many threads about it. I've experienced it myself, and have clips of it. It doesn't happen because your games been on too long though....not when there's times where it immediately happens your first match too right?
Pheinted wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Pheinted wrote:
Pheinted wrote:

Im not at all saying it doesn't exist. I've been in many threads about it. I've experienced it myself, and have clips of it. It doesn't happen because your games been on too long though....not when there's times where it immediately happens your first match too right?
Ohh, yeah I see what you mean now. I was interpreting it the wrong way. Idk, heavy aim seems like such a weird thing to happen, so it may manifest itself differently for people.
tuhin94 wrote:
Pheinted wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Pheinted wrote:
Pheinted wrote:

Ohh, yeah I see what you mean now. I was interpreting it the wrong way. Idk, heavy aim seems like such a weird thing to happen, so it may manifest itself differently for people.
It does bro. That's why I dropped a suggestion here. It works. If your port is automatically selected for you...and you restart your xbox..doesn't it make sense that the port that's automatically being selected changed as a consequence of that restart?...I realized this and just manually changed the port myself instead of trying to cold start and hard reset my dang xbox each time I had bad issues in the game. For me it turned out that indeed this was the culprit.

My buddy went to house sit at his friends to take care of his dogs while he's out on vacation. His connection was absolute garbage. List all the above problems bro. Unplayable experience. His NAT was moderate. His latency was high. I told him to do this and his NAT changed to open and latency dropped. The problem ended up persisting though. His NAT would suddenly change on its own despite fixing it manually. So I told him he probably needs to port forward in the router settings. He did this. Immediately changed the experience for him.

Now...thats not to say some heavy aim or lag doesn't occur now and then still....the kind that comes and goes periodically for all of us....because we're playing a game thats how many years old now with a low population of players matched from all over the place sometimes right? But the game went from absolutely UNPLAYABLE to playable within minutes of configuration. So yea man...I felt why not list this here in case anyone else reads it and it may help them....I mean....restarting your xbox....there's going to be a point where that does nothing. I reached that point and trouble shot beyond..and this is what has helped me, and my friends I play with.