[Locked] PSA: "FARMING": HOW TO REDUCE SOCIAL BULLYING

OP AttorneyAtLife

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
"Farming": when groups or Spartan companies seeking to reach long-term objectives of kills with a certain weapon/vehicle or other commendation gain a decisive advantage in Warzone but refrain from destroying your core, capturing a remaining armory/control point, and/or killing a major AI boss, and instead wait for other players to emerge from spawn points in order to rack up Spartan kills throughout the remainder of the game rather than ending it sooner via completion of the game objectives (destroying the core, killing AI bosses for points). In short, they are using their superior skill to achieve an objective for their exclusive group at the intentional expense of others: a classic application of social bullying, which is prohibited by the MS Code of Conduct. To diminish their returns in-match, encourage teammates to...

Camp the Core: spawning at Home Base and remaining inside the core room to force the farming team to (1) enter your core room and risk damaging the core during combat and/or (2) kill AI bosses to accelerate their point score increase. Both of these end the match quicker so that you can move on to reporting. Suggest that players equip plasma casters, needlers, swords, fuel rod cannons, or similar weapons as these are (a) strong at close range, (b) do not require high precision in frenzied combat, and (c) do not require a high Req level to obtain. Remember: farming is unsportsmanlike conduct, while camping is in fact specifically advised by the game itself.

Reporting: Microsoft's system of learning which players are harming the multiplayer experience of others and lowering their reputation score accordingly. Your report helps to weigh down social bullying players' multiplayer reputation until they are ultimately matched primarily with other low-reputation players. In the Carnage Report following each match, simply go to the offending players, view their profile/info, select View Gamercard, and follow the Report process from there (unsportsmanlike conduct is often the most accurate complaint, with "farming/social bullying" as an optional comment). If you've exited the Carnage Report, simply press the Select button (button with 2 intersecting boxes) on the next match staging screen to bring it back up.
Remember: if you notice that a few offending players are part of the same Spartan Company (Halo's clan system), you can report their company as well for engaging in social bullying/unsportsmanlike conduct right from Halowaypoint.com via https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies or an offending player's profile listing their company membership here on Waypoint. For general reporting how-to, see https://enforcement.xbox.com/Home/HowTo#sub-topic2-0.

[UPDATE] Since there are a lot of "too sensitive!" dismissals from people that have complained elsewhere that they feel Halo has been "ruined" by certain game mechanics (and somehow therefore by 343i), and since many have been focusing almost exclusively on the social bullying aspect, it apparently requires reminding that personal involvement with something (such as a video game) does not magically make that activity exempt from requirements to abstain from intentionally negative behavior. Buying the game likewise does not magically entitle a player to use it however he/she sees fit; we participate in multiplayer in express agreement to the terms of use thereof. PvP games may present fantasy environments, but other players are real people participating in a common activity and most have not consented to other players' adjustments of their personal tolerances. If this is upsetting for anyone who mistakenly believed that standard multiplayer is no-holds-barred, they may wish to look to the competitive scene, which hosts a healthy population of players who all understand and agree to pure win-focused competition.

It apparently also bears reminding that the classic response of bullies of all kinds (verbal, social, workplace, or otherwise) is to dismissively respond "Too sensitive! We're just doing x activity!", i.e. "You shouldn't take offense because I don't mind perpetrating it!" Social bullying widely encompasses behaviors such as intentional grouping to harm the experience of another participant in the same activity, and it may be an unfamiliar term to those who still associate the word "bullying" with purely physical or verbal violence/intimidation. The type of activity does not somehow make people less likely to bully in one form or another, and--importantly--past experiences with bullying likewise do not diminish a person's future role in a different bullying setting (e.g. someone who was verbally bullied as a child may still become a workplace or social bully later in life). The fact that people struggle with bullying of all forms in real life is exactly why dismissing another complaint about it is wrong. Many are painfully familiar with how deaf people can be to recognizing it and how mute they can be to acknowledging it. Thinking "Well there's no way Halo can be a social bullying forum or that I could be socially bullying others" makes one no less likely to do so and makes social bullying no less tolerable.
1. It's not bullying.
2. Randoms farm too.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.

Spoiler:
Show
RBaziFX wrote:
Games are exactly a place where people should feel free to enjoy themselves without others working together to inhibit their experience. If this is even required of kids at recess, I'm sure that "gamers" in all of their sophisticated wisdom can handle basic interpersonal behavior.
YouthNAsia wrote:
Haha that's actually pretty great.
Please go ahead and close this mods...

it's going to get ugly in here
RBaziFX wrote:
Wow are we seriously to the point where gamers are going to need a "safe place"?!?!
Games are exactly a place where people should feel free to enjoy themselves without others working together to inhibit their experience. If this is even required of kids at recess, I'm sure that "gamers" in all of their sophisticated wisdom can handle basic interpersonal behavior.
Then do not put yourself in the postion to "be farmed". If you feel you are that outmatched or there is no PTFO then logically it would be stupid to put yourself in the line of fire now wouldn't it.
I have been seeing a lot of farming threads but I never been farmed and at rank 101. I wonder how many people who do complain about farming know what farming is.

I bet some instances are where the enemy team is kicking their butt but the team is holding them off the core well enough that the enemy team can't quite finish them off.
The best way to solve that issue would be to not have the current requirements to unlock Achilles.

343 decides to make one set of armor something you have to work for and it causes this issue which they even said they saw evidence of but them claimed it's not directly tied to the issue.

Before anyone even tries to imply, no, I don't care for Achilles. As much of a completionist I believe I am, the aesthetics are not to my tastes. I joined a small Spartan Company that I recently left because we are entirely inactive. I'd rather get better at playing the game than mindlessly hack away at a bunch of tedious objectives killing a bunch of people who aren't good at the game and still be bad.
I have been seeing a lot of farming threads but I never been farmed and at rank 101. I wonder how many people who do complain about farming know what farming is.

I bet some instances are where the enemy team is kicking their butt but the team is holding them off the core well enough that the enemy team can't quite finish them off.
I'm 146 and been farmed 2 maybe...3 times
funny thread lol.So now farming is considered bullying smh. What has 2016 gaming become?

This is what I'm assuming most people think farming is.

Ive been properly farmed 1 and ive dumped 6 days into warzone. That once was pretty horrific but I haven't experienced the pandemic I keep hearing about.

Spoiler:
Show

Spoiler:
Show
RBaziFX wrote:
Ask 343 for a surrender option and I've been bullied in real life,farming is not bullying
LKG Gluby wrote:
Yeah the good days... when you could talk a little smack and teabag and have a good time.... now you practically have to send an apology message for winning a game :-)
LethalQ wrote:
LKG Gluby wrote:
Yeah the good days... when you could talk a little smack and teabag and have a good time.... now you practically have to send an apology message for winning a game :-)
My quick apology ends with a graceful and elegant but powerful sack to the face. (:
My safe word is Cinnamon.
Phaaze wrote:
The best way to solve that issue would be to not have the current requirements to unlock Achilles.

343 decides to make one set of armor something you have to work for and it causes this issue which they even said they saw evidence of but them claimed it's not directly tied to the issue.

Before anyone even tries to imply, no, I don't care for Achilles. As much of a completionist I believe I am, the aesthetics are not to my tastes. I joined a small Spartan Company that I recently left because we are entirely inactive. I'd rather get better at playing the game than mindlessly hack away at a bunch of tedious objectives killing a bunch of people who aren't good at the game and still be bad.
Hope you realize people farmed before Achilies, farm for commendations, and farm for fun too.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13