Radar Inconsistency

OP Meek Meek Meek

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
It seems as if the motion sensor in Halo 5 is not up to par with previous titles. The radius is too small and occasionally feels like it is completely broken. Two factors should be considered when applying an appropriate fix: radius and consistency. For the time being, the Arena radar is the topic of discussion.

Distance
  • I understand that 343 reduced the range to 18m, which is too small in my opinion. It needs to have a larger radius in order to compliment Halo 5's extremely fast paced gameplay. With the addition of infinite sprint and abilities like thruster and charge, the current sensing range does not allow players to prepare an appropriate counter attack in many situations.
  • Furthermore, the cramped maps and poor sight-lines result in alot of cqc engagements whose outcome is usually determined by the player who began shooting first. The poor map layouts also make it more difficult for one to be aware of where the enemy is especially with the heightened mobility. The advice "be aware of your surroundings" can only be effectively implemented when playing as a team.
  • Referring to the above statement, some posters have mentioned that by the time they are aware of a nearby enemy, it is too late, especially when being hit by the charge melee.
Consistency
  • Another point mentioned in other threads was how the radar acts inconsistently, and I now have my own experience. On Fathom, there are ramps leading up to the catwalk with the railgun. I was standing roughly a meter or so down from the top of the ramp and anticipating an enemy I saw prior. I knew they were sprinting towards the ramp, and in turn I was looking at my motion sensor to see when the dot would appear. The dot appeared practically a split second before they turned the corner. Judging the distance, it seemed more like 5m than 18m, unless 343i coded each stride to take ~3m.
  • There is clearly a consistency issue occurring with the sensor. Many times the dot does not appear at the border, but rather around the halfway point. Couple that with the reduced range and the result ends up being extremely frustrating arena games, especially when playing solo.
TLDR: The motion sensor needs to be overhauled in terms of radius and consistency due to the fast paced nature of the gameplay and the maps that do not accompany it.
I agree the motion tracker is pretty useless, which I kind of like as it makes more of a cat and mouse feel.
As for your consistency issue, I think it's because the levels are not only more vertical, but the motion tracker is spherical for the first time - so if you are 10 ft up, you can only see about 5ft on the floor below because math.
Yeah, they really reduced the range of the radar, though I'm not too disheveled about it. It helps in some scenarios if you're lying in wait or something along those lines, but really it puts more attention on what you yourself are looking at and not being glued to the radar all the time (Halo Reach had that feel to it). IMO
I hate the radar
Completely agree that the radar needs adjusting.
Yes, the radar is highly inconsistent. I have video proof from gameplay I can show you, but I imagine you can look at your films yourself and find the same conclusions.

I have video evidence of a player hiding behind a wall (standing, moving, but still behind the wall). When he sees me approaching, he steps out into the pathway so that I can visibly see him. At this moment, a red dot appears on my radar. When he was behind the wall, it didn't appear, just like in your situation.

I also have video evidence of the radar displaying two red dots for the same person, rapidly alternating between two very far apart locations. As the player moves, the red dot blinks at one location, then at another, then back at the original location. As the player approaches me, the two locations converge onto a single location that is 1m behind me.

This is not how the radar should work in a Halo game. Blinking is difficult to see in live-time, it confuses players about the actual location of the player, and the inconsistency behind whether or not the radar actually displays a dot is astounding.
Any smaller, than I might as well be playing Slayer Pro. Radar is confusing with heights, can't tell if someone is below or above, in this case you gotta take a chance.

When I first played Fathom, I had a guy ground pound me from the Bridge, to the bottom ramp where storm rifle is. I wasn't even on the rounded window. He never appeared on radar, and that ramp would probably take about 2-4 thrusts to reach Bridge (without movement). Also got charged on top of the bridge without any radar picking up. I knew something was fishy without people telling me about the radar nerf.

When 343 said they went from 30 to 18, it made sense until I had hands on of how bad of a decision that was. I think 25 and up will do..
“Soon Halo’s reclamation will begin, but when it does, the weight of your denial will stay your feet, and you shall be left behind ”
Yes, the radar is highly inconsistent. I have video proof from gameplay I can show you, but I imagine you can look at your films yourself and find the same conclusions.

I have video evidence of a player hiding behind a wall (standing, moving, but still behind the wall). When he sees me approaching, he steps out into the pathway so that I can visibly see him. At this moment, a red dot appears on my radar. When he was behind the wall, it didn't appear, just like in your situation.

I also have video evidence of the radar displaying two red dots for the same person, rapidly alternating between two very far apart locations. As the player moves, the red dot blinks at one location, then at another, then back at the original location. As the player approaches me, the two locations converge onto a single location that is 1m behind me.

This is not how the radar should work in a Halo game. Blinking is difficult to see in live-time, it confuses players about the actual location of the player, and the inconsistency behind whether or not the radar actually displays a dot is astounding.
Yeah that is similar to what I have experienced. I have noticed the blinking dots as if they are in one place, and then completely another in less than a second. Worst is getting melee charged from behind. Alot of the maps have alot of ambient noise in the sound of gunfire or effects. By the time you notice someone is running up to you, it is too late.
When 343 said they went from 30 to 18, it made sense until I had hands on of how bad of a decision that was. I think 25 and up will do..
The largest issue is the fact that it does not even feel like 18m! If it was 18m then it would not have the dot pop up a couple steps away like it currently does the majority of the time.

They reduced it to 18m from the consensus of their pro players. One has to take into consideration that these players dedicated their lives at a point to play the game, and tested the game playing as a well communicated team; a trait exclusive to only a handful of the entire population. Not every match is supposed to be a MLG one.
The radar is worthless.
The largest issue is the fact that it does not even feel like 18m! If it was 18m then it would not have the dot pop up a couple steps away like it currently does the majority of the time.
True, I always thought to myself, there's no way this is 18 meters when this guy behind me is charging me.
“Soon Halo’s reclamation will begin, but when it does, the weight of your denial will stay your feet, and you shall be left behind ”
EvilStans wrote:
I agree the motion tracker is pretty useless, which I kind of like as it makes more of a cat and mouse feel.
As for your consistency issue, I think it's because the levels are not only more vertical, but the motion tracker is spherical for the first time - so if you are 10 ft up, you can only see about 5ft on the floor below because math.
Alot of the levels are way too vertical, but even with the spherical radar it should not be as bad as it is. What ever happened with the radar showing above or below indicators as well?
343i continue their tradition of 1) Trying to fix something that isn't broken, and 2) Overcorrecting on a mistake.

First they changed the radar range, and everyone complained. They also changed how it functions at its core, which has everyone confused.

Then, they overcorrected to 18m in an attempt to fix it, which has failed.

This post has been hidden.

343i continue their tradition of 1) Trying to fix something that isn't broken

That is an understatement! It is more like 343i continue their tradition of changing things for the sake of change.

That is an understatement! It is more like 343i continue their tradition of changing things for the sake of change.
Yeahhh. They are notorious for this. The radar needs to be 25m in accordance with every other halo. Combined with increase movement speed and increased radar range is absolutely necessary. I can't follow their logic...or lack thereof. If you actually read their reasoning behind this. It makes zero sense. Basically they said that only skilled players used the radar and it allowed them to be too dominant against unskilled players. So they decrease the range.
Unknown wrote:
343i continue their tradition of 1) Trying to fix something that isn't broken, and 2) Overcorrecting on a mistake.

First they changed the radar range, and everyone complained. They also changed how it functions at its core, which has everyone confused.

Were people actually complaining about the beta's motion tracker range? I thought it felt great.

Not sure why they would nerf the radar into near uselessness. You pretty much have to play this game like it's always on slayer pro. I hope they eventually revert the nerf, as playing on such small, closed in maps, makes it almost impossible to react to charging flankers.
I never played the beta but from popular opinion it seems everybody liked the radar there. It is so annoying having to play each match like it is some ultra MLG one.
Qlasssic wrote:

Yeahhh. They are notorious for this. The radar needs to be 25m in accordance with every other halo. Combined with increase movement speed and increased radar range is absolutely necessary. I can't follow their logic...or lack thereof. If you actually read their reasoning behind this. It makes zero sense. Basically they said that only skilled players used the radar and it allowed them to be too dominant against unskilled players. So they decrease the range.
Only "skilled players".

The 25m Radar would've fit in fine with the maps. They're bigger and built around the sprint mechanic after all, so it wouldn't even effect the gameplay at all... because Sprint is an illusion. And the fact they said "only skilled players" used the Motion Sensor is just stupid as -Yoink!-. Everyone uses the Sensor, or most everyone, the people who can't are either 'bad' at Halo or too new to understand it's proper purpose. But I honestly can't see why they decreased the range: it's always been 25m no matter what game mode it has been which enables the Motion Sensor.
Unknown wrote:

Were people actually complaining about the beta's motion tracker range? I thought it felt great.

Not sure why they would nerf the radar into near uselessness. You pretty much have to play this game like it's always on slayer pro. I hope they eventually revert the nerf, as playing on such small, closed in maps, makes it almost impossible to react to charging flankers.
I never played the beta but from popular opinion it seems everybody liked the radar there. It is so annoying having to play each match like it is some ultra MLG one.
That's what Halo seems to be rewarding. All these 'MLG Pros'.

I miss the more casual playlists on Halo. Y'know, the ones where it was FUN and didn't have all these tryhards who care solely about their CSR. I don't mind the ranked playlists, but I want the social/unranked playlists back. I don't want to play Arena and feel like I need to be an MLG Pro just to play
I really dislike the radar, it's like playing slayer pro.
i reallyt hate how small it is. When they appear on radar they are to close to do anything about it.
for now i just play swat. At least i know i dont have a radar
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4