It seems as if the motion sensor in Halo 5 is not up to par with previous titles. The radius is too small and occasionally feels like it is completely broken. Two factors should be considered when applying an appropriate fix: radius and consistency. For the time being, the Arena radar is the topic of discussion.
- I understand that 343 reduced the range to 18m, which is too small in my opinion. It needs to have a larger radius in order to compliment Halo 5's extremely fast paced gameplay. With the addition of infinite sprint and abilities like thruster and charge, the current sensing range does not allow players to prepare an appropriate counter attack in many situations.
- Furthermore, the cramped maps and poor sight-lines result in alot of cqc engagements whose outcome is usually determined by the player who began shooting first. The poor map layouts also make it more difficult for one to be aware of where the enemy is especially with the heightened mobility. The advice "be aware of your surroundings" can only be effectively implemented when playing as a team.
- Referring to the above statement, some posters have mentioned that by the time they are aware of a nearby enemy, it is too late, especially when being hit by the charge melee.
- Another point mentioned in other threads was how the radar acts inconsistently, and I now have my own experience. On Fathom, there are ramps leading up to the catwalk with the railgun. I was standing roughly a meter or so down from the top of the ramp and anticipating an enemy I saw prior. I knew they were sprinting towards the ramp, and in turn I was looking at my motion sensor to see when the dot would appear. The dot appeared practically a split second before they turned the corner. Judging the distance, it seemed more like 5m than 18m, unless 343i coded each stride to take ~3m.
- There is clearly a consistency issue occurring with the sensor. Many times the dot does not appear at the border, but rather around the halfway point. Couple that with the reduced range and the result ends up being extremely frustrating arena games, especially when playing solo.