Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Rank up and get terrible teammates

OP SolidMantis3854

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I feel people are complaining because they are playing a TEAM based playlist as a solo player.

Someone earlier said "get a squad" (which is the best advice) and was responded to with "that takes the problem away from the system".

OP stated that he plays with people of similar rank, but don't seem that good. Well the system ranks everyone the same way but chances are you're facing a team that play together and most likely are communicating. Hence you're getting stomped.

There's a solo queue playlist where it's a bit more forgiving, but the reality is people seem to be complaining because they are entering a team based playlist solo and getting smashed - and blaming the "poor team mates that the system has deliberately put me with!"

Given the dwindling player base - what's the solution?
There's no solution, realistically. Competitive has been a in bad place for months, if not longer, since the player base isn't large enough to create good matches. I think when 343 moved on from H5 the hope was that Infinite would be out by the end of the year, but obviously Infinite isn't coming out anytime soon. Unfortunately, that's left players in a pretty rough spot. Maybe MCC still works for fans, though, I haven't really tried it.

You could probably even quantify this by comparing average intra-match variance in MMR across all players at launch, half-life and at current state. I'm sure MMR variance has skyrocketed since you'll regularly see onyx/champs and plat/golds getting lumped together. The matchmaking system's doing the best it can--but there's no solution here.

Comments that say "You should be with a team if you want to play competitive" feel disingenuous . Obviously, ranked Halo is not designed to be exclusively played with fireteams. It never has been. The issue isn't that folks can't get call-outs and coordinate when they're not in a fireteam, the issue is that people not in a fireteam are getting matched with wildly uneven players because the player base is too small to create reasonable matches. Or is someone going to argue that a 343 monitor would ever have responded to this thread with "Get a team next time" when the game was launched?
There's no solution, realistically. Competitive has been a in bad place for months, if not longer, since the player base isn't large enough to create good matches. I think when 343 moved on from H5 the hope was that Infinite would be out by the end of the year, but obviously Infinite isn't coming out anytime soon. Unfortunately, that's left players in a pretty rough spot. Maybe MCC still works for fans, though, I haven't really tried it.

You could probably even quantify this by comparing average intra-match variance in MMR across all players at launch, half-life and at current state. I'm sure MMR variance has skyrocketed since you'll regularly see onyx/champs and plat/golds getting lumped together. The matchmaking system's doing the best it can--but there's no solution here.

Comments that say "You should be with a team if you want to play competitive" feel disingenuous . Obviously, ranked Halo is not designed to be exclusively played with fireteams. It never has been. The issue isn't that folks can't get call-outs and coordinate when they're not in a fireteam, the issue is that people not in a fireteam are getting matched with wildly uneven players because the player base is too small to create reasonable matches. Or is someone going to argue that a 343 monitor would ever have responded to this thread with "Get a team next time" when the game was launched?
Getting a team has always been the reply though. Your team mates are called "randoms" for more than 1 reason. They are a random variable in your match. From who they are, their skill level, to even where they are on the globe...the variables are only exacerbated with a low population...but in a high population game...sure..there will be fairer matches more often..but if you're trying to argue that getting a team still isn't the best advice to give to a solo player...you're just flat out wrong man.

Can you play the game as a solo player? Sure. Is playing with a team better? Yes. Objectively better. This is not up for debate. It's not even an opinion. It's a fact.

Playing with a team...it makes such a significant difference. People who you're comfortable with...people that become your friends. This goes beyond the scope of just "being competitive" ..it's a video game after all...and look how much it stresses people that play alone? We get bad match ups when we are teamed up too...it isn't exclusively a solo player problem, but they are affected to a higher degree, and have less chance to survive those horrific match ups that aren't in their teams favor.

I've played halo 5 off and on. When I have people to play with, I love this game. I started out as a solo player...but the game is just SO much more fun with friends...all I do is play ranked arena...so it's not that I'm playing all these social modes..I play the sweat fest matches sometimes, and playing with a cool group of people is an awesome experience. A few months ago I rage uninstalled this game. Prior to that I played it non stop until everyone was playing rainbow 6.

Coming to these forums saved halo for me, because I was beyond frustrated as a solo player. The solo Q playlist also gives me bad matches...so I looked for people here. I made threads, answered threads, friends became friends of friends, and suddenly there's people on my friend roster. I joined a spartan company but I don't even play with the people there. They don't even respond to invites. It's the lone wolves I met in the recruitment thread that have stuck together. We have fun each time we're on...and that's what playing a game is all about. If the fun is gone...and you are powerless to change that...why continue?

So yea. Find people to play with. The team becomes your friends. The only thing better than playing halo...is playing it with other people. At the end of the day...yes. halo 5 has problems ranging from its population, to it's servers....but don't criticize someone for giving the best advice you can give someone. It's the same advice that would have been given at launch as It is now....what else could you possibly say to someone who makes a threads about bad team mates in match making? You do realize that people have made that same complaint this games entire life cycle right?

"Bad team mates"
"I carry everyone but lose the match still while Tommy no thumbs goes -15, why is he ranked higher than me?"

Those aren't incidents that didn't exist before. When the population was higher and the forums were more active...trust me...those threads came up.

Getting a team has always been the reply though. Your team mates are called "randoms" for more than 1 reason. They are a random variable in your match. From who they are, their skill level, to even where they are on the globe...the variables are only exacerbated with a low population...but in a high population game...sure..there will be fairer matches more often..but if you're trying to argue that getting a team still isn't the best advice to give to a solo player...you're just flat out wrong man.

Can you play the game as a solo player? Sure. Is playing with a team better? Yes. Objectively better. This is not up for debate. It's not even an opinion. It's a fact.

Playing with a team...it makes such a significant difference. People who you're comfortable with...people that become your friends. This goes beyond the scope of just "being competitive" ..it's a video game after all...and look how much it stresses people that play alone? We get bad match ups when we are teamed up too...it isn't exclusively a solo player problem, but they are affected to a higher degree, and have less chance to survive those horrific match ups that aren't in their teams favor.

I've played halo 5 off and on. When I have people to play with, I love this game. I started out as a solo player...but the game is just SO much more fun with friends...all I do is play ranked arena...so it's not that I'm playing all these social modes..I play the sweat fest matches sometimes, and playing with a cool group of people is an awesome experience. A few months ago I rage uninstalled this game. Prior to that I played it non stop until everyone was playing rainbow 6.

Coming to these forums saved halo for me, because I was beyond frustrated as a solo player. The solo Q playlist also gives me bad matches...so I looked for people here. I made threads, answered threads, friends became friends of friends, and suddenly there's people on my friend roster. I joined a spartan company but I don't even play with the people there. They don't even respond to invites. It's the lone wolves I met in the recruitment thread that have stuck together. We have fun each time we're on...and that's what playing a game is all about. If the fun is gone...and you are powerless to change that...why continue?

So yea. Find people to play with. The team becomes your friends. The only thing better than playing halo...is playing it with other people. At the end of the day...yes. halo 5 has problems ranging from its population, to it's servers....but don't criticize someone for giving the best advice you can give someone. It's the same advice that would have been given at launch as It is now....what else could you possibly say to someone who makes a threads about bad team mates in match making? You do realize that people have made that same complaint this games entire life cycle right?

"Bad team mates"
"I carry everyone but lose the match still while Tommy no thumbs goes -15, why is he ranked higher than me?"

Those aren't incidents that didn't exist before. When the population was higher and the forums were more active...trust me...those threads came up.
I mean, the point of the thread is that you don't always have people on that want to play with you (or play competitive slayer with you), and my point is that responding "Get a team" isn't productive and doesn't fix the fact that the small population has significantly impeded matchmaking quality for the most part. To quote The Office: "Oh, I didn't know we were doing answers like that. What's the best way to avoid getting hurt skiing? Never ski."

Again, we could probably quantify how much worse the game is at getting similarly skilled teammates together if 343 wanted to. I don't have a response if you think that matchmaking quality is not significantly worse now compared to launch or even a year or two ago--I think it's self evident to anyone who played then and now, but the objective way to know would be to look at intra-match MMR variance over time. Maybe I'm just full of BS, I'm obvious biased as a player in the way I perceive matches. Only the good Dr. Menke could tell us, and he's probably got better things to do than indulge a salty gamer like me.

I rest my case. The system is doing its best but no system can do very well with a small population, and when you don't have friends on, there's not a great solution.

"Bad team mates"

I mean, the point of the thread is that you don't always have people on that want to play with you (or play competitive slayer with you), and my point is that responding "Get a team" isn't productive and doesn't fix the fact that the small population has significantly impeded matchmaking quality for the most part. To quote The Office: "Oh, I didn't know we were doing answers like that. What's the best way to avoid getting hurt skiing? Never ski."

Again, we could probably quantify how much worse the game is at getting similarly skilled teammates together if 343 wanted to. I don't have a response if you think that matchmaking quality is not significantly worse now compared to launch or even a year or two ago--I think it's self evident to anyone who played then and now, but the objective way to know would be to look at intra-match MMR variance over time. Maybe I'm just full of BS, I'm obvious biased as a player in the way I perceive matches. Only the good Dr. Menke could tell us, and he's probably got better things to do than indulge a salty gamer like me.

I rest my case. The system is doing its best but no system can do very well with a small population, and when you don't have friends on, there's not a great solution.
The office quote strikes home. That's exactly why I quit playing halo 5 when I quit playing it. I asked myself time and time again...why the HECK do I do this to myself? I go into quick play as a daimond...low at that...to get some practice....I'm the highest on my team....with 3 platinum team mates....its 20 something to 0....my team mates had quit and I just noticed....I suicide 3 times.. get banned...get off...hope the next day is better. I would purposely get banned just to remove the temptation of "lets try 1 more game".

I later check my own game history. The other team had 3 onyx and 1 champ. The absurdity of it...I was so pissed off....why was MM so damn bad for me....this happened too often....I had to change it...

I came to the forums as I said. If no one is on, I don't play. I save myself the BS bro. I'm 35 years old...job, family, so when I get time to play....I don't want to be sitting there asking myself "why the hell did I even turn my Xbox on?"

Population is low...you're not telling lies. The point still remains though dude. Getting friends makes halo so much better. MM is worse. That is a fact indeed....but skill discrepancy has always existed to be more affecting of the solo player. So that's why I say best advice has already been given out. Only 3 options exist.

-get a team
-deal with it
-don't play

I always opt for don't play. I don't want to hate the only fps game I've ever loved playing. I came close to selling my Xbox from the frustrating experiences we're discussing here...so I stand by what I said because I went from that, to playing almost every day.

You're not full of BS at all bro. Just giving your own insight and 2 cents. I respect that.
I respect it and I'm right there with you. Maybe we'll play Infinite together sometime, if it ever comes out.
You end up being the worst on your team when you quit. Even when you think you are better than the rest skill-wise.
Get a squad.
Literally the solution to your problem, OP.
Get a squad.
You're just ignoring his problem entirely. Why are players forced to play with full teams to avoid being paired up with non-similarly skilled players in a terrible matchmaking system? I'm a champion tier player who was playing with two other champions as my teammates in my fireteam, and we got paired up with a negative level 14 on our team who wasn't even a smurf account in ranked matchmaking. The matchmaking system is completely broken when it comes to finding closely matched players, it's a simple fact. We shouldn't be forced to have to pick up people in order to have fun on Halo 5. With such a heavy emphasis on ranked and competitive gameplay, Halo 5 should absolutely have a better skill-search system put in place.
The problem is "The system gives me bad teammates". My solution, "Get a squad", takes the system out of the equation. That's all. If you don't want to play with a full squad, that's fine. But you then willingly let the system choose whoever it deems appropriate to fill however many slots are open in an attempt to make as fair a match as possible.

Get a squad.
So playing single is a no go because I dont care enough to group with people...?
Of course not. But if you want your teammates to be good every single time you play a game, getting a squad just might help you achieve that goal.
I dont need my teammates to be good every game! I need them to be DECENT every game instead of playing like confused bots!
Dont listen to these guys, games too toxic and broken for the single player to compete, and finding a squad is a joke that ruins the experience long term. You're talking to people that defend this game as if it were there job.
The Fog 23 wrote:
I hear you bro. Was close to diamond two a couple of days ago and now I'm barely hanging on to platinum 5 in slayer. Have won a single game out of about 12! The system is a -Yoinking!- joke!!!
Please don't revive old topics thanks
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2