Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Rat Race

OP MackenziesMind

Why is this map still a thing...?

It was not a favorite in original CE mp. It's not a favorite now. The games are exhausting and are rarely even fun. It's all teleporter camping and running in circles to get killed by hammers in the corner.

Is anyone actually enjoying this? Did anyone like it for the CE anniversary playlist? Can we please make an effort for 343 to revive any other CE map?
Battle Creek would've been a much better choice, though the teleporters may not necessarily help the case.
HaXoR73 wrote:
Battle Creek would've been a much better choice, though the teleporters may not necessarily help the case.
At least the teleporters on Battle Creek aren't in obsolete parts of the map lol
I think it's an alright map... Better than overgrowth IMO
LethalQ wrote:
Idk I always have more fun on Overgrowth because it isn't so freakin big and barren lol
When I think of Battle Creek I think of... Kill the Reds! Kill the Reds!! Kill the Reds!!!

The map where there's like two ships was pretty fun. Not sure what it was called.
I definitely liked Rat Race as one of my personal favorite non-big team maps back in the day; though, I wouldn't consider it one of Halo's greatest maps nor would I consider it even a borderline good map today. It is what it is -- it's a classic and the truth is that most of the Combat Evolved maps pal in comparison to the maps that were released in subsequent title releases.
eLantern wrote:
I definitely liked Rat Race as one of my personal favorite non-big team maps back in the day; though, I wouldn't consider it one of Halo's greatest maps nor would I consider it even a borderline good map today. It is what it is -- it's a classic and the truth is that most of the Combat Evolved maps pal in comparison to the maps that were released in subsequent title releases.
You're spot on with the CE maps paling in comparison. I just wish 343 didn't consider Rat Race to be a classic because there were plenty of good maps in CE imo
eLantern wrote:
You're spot on with the CE maps paling in comparison. I just wish 343 didn't consider Rat Race to be a classic because there were plenty of good maps in CE imo
Really? Which ones?

My favorites would have been:

Blood Gulch - a Big Team symmetrical map that had 1-way portals which were very easy to camp (aka problematic in today's MMing).

Sidewinder - a Big Team symmetrical map that had several portals that were often camped; plus, pretty simplistic base entrances which at times made entering fairly challenging.

Boarding Action - a Big Team symmetrical map that was ideal for a Snipers and Rockets mode that'd in all honestly would be best considered an Action Sack variant nowadays.

Hang 'Em High - a tweener asymmetrical map that could work for 4v4 or up to 8v8 game-types, but tended to benefit one side over the other.

Beaver Creek - a 4v4 fairly symmetrical map that had extremely camp-able portals in the back of each base.

Rat Race - an asymmetrical map that played best for FFA, but could certainly work decently well for 4v4 game-types. Camping the power-ups; especially, overshield with the shotgun that spawned next to it was problematic.

Damnation - an asymmetrical map that seemed best for FFA, but could work fairly decently for 4v4 game-types; however, like Hang 'Em High one side tended to benefit notice-able over the other.

Prisoner - a somewhat asymmetrical map that tended to play best for FFA, but could work fairly decently for 4v4 Slayer.

Those were my favorites, but they certainly all had noticeable issues in some regard. I'd argue that you could get better 4v4 game-play on Wizard and Longest than most of the more popular maps and you could get better FFA game-play on Chill-out verses the popular ones too. Not to mention, it was as if the map Chiron TL-34 was specifically designed to be played as an Action Sack styled map similar to how Boarding Action served a similar role. In all honestly, I didn't really care for Derelict all that much, but it too may have handled 4v4 a bit better than some of the more popular maps even if the hallway ramps leading up to the second level seemed to turn into major shotgun camping locations. Unfortunately I never played the PC Big Team maps back in the day; I had to wait till MCC to have that privilege.
LethalQ wrote:
A lot of maps are better than Overgrowth. It's not a hard thing to achieve.
eLantern wrote:
eLantern wrote:
Really? Which ones?

Blood Gulch - a Big Team symmetrical map that had 1-way portals which were very easy to camp (aka problematic in today's MMing).

Sidewinder - a Big Team symmetrical map that had several portals that were often camped; plus, pretty simplistic base entrances which at times made entering fairly challenging.

Boarding Action - a Big Team symmetrical map that was ideal for a Snipers and Rockets mode that'd in all honestly would be best considered an Action Sack variant nowadays.

Hang 'Em High - a tweener asymmetrical map that could work for 4v4 or up to 8v8 game-types, but tended to benefit one side over the other.

Beaver Creek - a 4v4 fairly symmetrical map that had extremely camp-able portals in the back of each base.

Rat Race - an asymmetrical map that played best for FFA, but could certainly work decently well for 4v4 game-types. Camping the power-ups; especially, overshield with the shotgun that spawned next to it was problematic.

Damnation - an asymmetrical map that seemed best for FFA, but could work fairly decently for 4v4 game-types; however, like Hang 'Em High one side tended to benefit notice-able over the other.

Prisoner - a somewhat asymmetrical map that tended to play best for FFA, but could work fairly decently for 4v4 Slayer.

Those were my favorites, but they certainly all had noticeable issues in some regard. I'd argue that you could get better 4v4 game-play on Wizard and Longest than most of the more popular maps and you could get better FFA game-play on Chill-out verses the popular ones too. Not to mention, it was as if the map Chiron TL-34 was specifically designed to be played as an Action Sack styled map similar to how Boarding Action served a similar role. In all honestly, I didn't really care for Derelict all that much, but it too may have handled 4v4 a bit better than some of the more popular maps even if the hallway ramps leading up to the second level seemed to turn into major shotgun camping locations. Unfortunately I never played the PC Big Team maps back in the day; I had to wait till MCC to have that privilege.
I was a fan of Death Island, Chill Out, and Prisoner

Prisoner was a lot of fun because although it wasn't huge, there were lots of places to play tactically.

Chill Out was fun because it made the pace of the game super fast.

Death Island was great for vehicle hunting and sniping.
eLantern wrote:
eLantern wrote:
Really? Which ones?

I was a fan of Death Island, Chill Out, and Prisoner

Prisoner was a lot of fun because although it wasn't huge, there were lots of places to play tactically.

Chill Out was fun because it made the pace of the game super fast.

Death Island was great for vehicle hunting and sniping.
The problem with Prisoner was the trek you'd have to make to get back up from the bottom floor was often punishing; plus, the best place (by far) to be was camping the OS. It was easily the most powerful position on the map as you could drop down to snag Rockets, make a fairly easy jump to get health, and a not too dangerous jump and run to get a sniper. A team that took over that position would often run away with the score.
I think Chiron TL-34 would actually be a good map for Fiesta.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
I think Chiron TL-34 would actually be a good map for Fiesta.
I could get on board with that
I liked playing on it, just not on a continuous basis.
I think it's a good map for Super Fiesta not much so for Slayer or other modes.
Ignore. Old thread that was revived.
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
When I think of Battle Creek I think of... Kill the Reds! Kill the Reds!! Kill the Reds!!!

The map where there's like two ships was pretty fun. Not sure what it was called.
Get the Flag! Get the Flag! Get the Flag!
eLantern wrote:
Ignore. Old thread that was revived.
Oh I didn’t see that sorry. I’m not the most observant of people.
I think it's a good map for Super Fiesta not much so for Slayer or other modes.
Please don't revive old topics thanks