Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Re-balance game types for Arena

OP HC FrenchFox

Good afternoon! For quite some time, Arena playlists (Ranked and unranked) have been pretty bad.
What I mean by that?

- You can only play breakout in the Extermination playlist (when the different modes could be different playlists)
-You can't play Oddball or Stronghold outside of ranked, AND it has to be HCS.
- Team Arena ONLY has HCS games.

And so on, you get the point.

A lot of non-competitive players, non-try hards & non-pro player MLG loves Team Arena, when it isn't Magnum Fest.

Oddball, CTF, Slayer, Stronghold all should be their own things, non-HCS.

Have a single HCS playlist with these settings and the game modes along with that

HCS Team Arena

Reg Team Arena

Literally having no fun playing in hope to get oddball or stronghold with HCS settings, when it should be its own thing.

Another note regarding oddball, Halo 4 added 'Ricochet' which was, from what I gathered' really loved by the community.

Why hasn't it came back?

Anyway, anyone else agree we should do some kind of online signed petition for that?

Thanks for the read!
Totally agreed! I want a ranked team arena option that’s not HCS like it used to be!
I completely support this... HCS settings are fine but everything that makes H5 different from the rest of Halos have been darkened by turning competitive and normal Arena into a Hardcore experience with overweighted Slayer and Magnum only starts (not to mention there are no autos in the maps and the Sputnik is so overpowered in my opinion).

First of all, the delicate balance between weapons, fun, competitiveness and armor abilities was in the old playlist, but sadly we can't play that anymore. A flag that kills in one melee, Spartan Charge to quickly ruin a close capture and an AR/SMG when you run out of yor pistol ammo are really important. As I see it, Reach MLG playlost suffered from something very similar, they entirry removed bloom and abilities, so it was more like Halo 3 than Reach. It lost its identity and same is happening to H5.

On the other hand, I think the problem started since the huge balance update H5 got a few years ago; everything aside from the Magnum was nerfed or saw its efectiveness decreased to certain encounters, while the Pistol was transformed into an old utility weapon that outperforms everything in the map with a bit of precision and luck. Personally, having a good weapon to start with is important, but the ones in the map should be undoubtedly slightly better to have a point to pick them up and not to rely totally on your loadout (SMG, BR and such are pointless, just to name a few). Even using your AR as it stands right now is pretty risky unless you're at close range.

To sum up, the only way to fix this is to return to the old balance that H5 had before the update (it was perfect, everything was useful and your starting weapons still had some power to defend yourself against superior guns on the field). Earn and control your weapons, don't start with them already. After that, split up HCS and Normal competitive settings in Arena. In addition, get rid of the huge amount of Slayer in every playlist (even fast Social match doesn't feature CTF or Territories), and make them in parity with Objective playlists. Team Arena should be Objective based with a little bit of underweighted Slayer (to prevent its death), Team Slayer should offer Slayer only, and HCS Arena should offer everything but with Hardcore settings. And please add Objective to Fast Match... Come on, slayer is cool but it's just shoot and kill.

‐---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a little bit off-topic... why are people in Bronze, Silver and such getting paired with Diamonds and Onyx? Who thought that was going to be right?
Personally, I'd like a team objective playlist. That'd make my day. Just Assault, Oddball, Strongholds, and Flag variants. Would like to see core play permanent, but w/e, obj is fine for me.
And a little bit off-topic... why are people in Bronze, Silver and such getting paired with Diamonds and Onyx? Who thought that was going to be right?
Likely to balance out both teams' overall MMR which could be due to the skill of certain players on the teams and/or it's a population issue.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Likely to balance out both teams' overall MMR which could be due to the skill of certain players on the teams and/or it's a population issue.
That's probably right, but I've seen people complaining about it because just one team gets that bad/new Bronze or Silver player and the enemies get exclusively good teammates sometimes. However, I'm more inclined to think that there's a strong likelihood that it's due to population, because the algorythm should even teams in both sides.
Good afternoon! For quite some time, Arena playlists (Ranked and unranked) have been pretty bad.
What I mean by that?

- You can only play breakout in the Extermination playlist (when the different modes could be different playlists)
-You can't play Oddball or Stronghold outside of ranked, AND it has to be HCS.
- Team Arena ONLY has HCS games.

And so on, you get the point.

A lot of non-competitive players, non-try hards & non-pro player MLG loves Team Arena, when it isn't Magnum Fest.

Oddball, CTF, Slayer, Stronghold all should be their own things, non-HCS.

Have a single HCS playlist with these settings and the game modes along with that

HCS Team Arena

Reg Team Arena

Literally having no fun playing in hope to get oddball or stronghold with HCS settings, when it should be its own thing.

Another note regarding oddball, Halo 4 added 'Ricochet' which was, from what I gathered' really loved by the community.

Why hasn't it came back?

Anyway, anyone else agree we should do some kind of online signed petition for that?

Thanks for the read!
I think 343 simplified the search for everyone but totally agree with you they should have a social where you can go and play those playlist instead of absorb hits from sweaty kids.