Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

REASONS that make people want to QUIT Halo

OP Quantify Risk

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I didn't mean to suggest that this is a must for Halo, only that it's a possibility.

I agree, in principle and in practice, that having to re-learn the game every time it launches is worse than tedious. We're two years into Halo 5 and what I haven't learned about this game (and never will) would fill a book. But whether I fail to learn the game in a three year life cycle or fail to learn it in one really makes no difference. Of course, that's just me. On the developer side, don't forget that the thing that makes it possible for CoD to spit out a new game every year is that they have two different studios taking on alternate years, and neither one is as ambitious as Halo. For better of for worse we'll each have to decide for ourselves.

As far as revisiting old titles goes, I agree that it's a double edged sword. I go back to Reach because its firefight is light years ahead of H5's, but I dislike doing it because I think that it will dull the biting edge of my Halo 5 capabilities. Which is a joke since those capabilities are next to nothing, but that's player psychology for you.

At any rate, I can easily see the down sides from a multiplayer point of view, but a constant cycle of new maps, new campaigns, additions to forge, etc. could be a real shot in the arm for the population. And if this game is going to soldier on down the path of hyper-competitive, ultra wide skill gapped, sweat bathing then the one thing that it absolutely must have is more players. A lot more.
I understand. But if they want to keep the population up by giving us fresh content, I would rather they continued to support an existing game for longer, rather than create entirely new ones more frequently. A new mainline Halo game is a special thing and I wouldn't want to get the next one and think "yay but it will be outdated in 12 months" (I already think that whenever I get a new Apple product). I can't wrap my head around being a Call of Duty fan because new releases wouldn't feel special at all. But, that's just me. I do understand why you're bringing it up, and I understand how important a healthy population is, but some things just aren't worth it, in my opinion.
I understand. But if they want to keep the population up by giving us fresh content, I would rather they continued to support an existing game for longer, rather than create entirely new ones more frequently. A new mainline Halo game is a special thing and I wouldn't want to get the next one and think "yay but it will be outdated in 12 months" (I already think that whenever I get a new Apple product). I can't wrap my head around being a Call of Duty fan because new releases wouldn't feel special at all. But, that's just me. I do understand why you're bringing it up, and I understand how important a healthy population is, but some things just aren't worth it, in my opinion.
Besides Free DLC maps and weapon skins, what else can 343i do to keep giving us content for 2 years plus? Halo 5 is already in its 2nd year and i think 343i didnt plan far ahead to get us more content.
Besides Free DLC maps and weapon skins, what else can 343i do to keep giving us content for 2 years plus? Halo 5 is already in its 2nd year and i think 343i didnt plan far ahead to get us more content.
You're right, they probably didn't. I wasn't necessarily saying there's any need for them to give us more content for 2 years plus. I was only saying it would be better than giving us a whole new game within that time, if they were hypothetically giving us a more constant stream of content.
Ill give a reason: Not having a balance of social and competitive playlists
You want map packs like in Halo: Reach and Halo 4? We already got map packs in Halo 5. You just didn't notice them because they were all FREE as to not divide the player base. Overgrowth, Riptide, Torque, Tyrant, Stasis, Molten, and Mercy were all DLC Arena maps that were given to us through updates. And then we also got Battle of Noctus, Skirmish at Darkstar, and Attack on Sanctum for Warzone. That's 10 DLC maps in total compared to the 9 that were given in Halo 4's paid season pass. Honestly, if you want more than that, I think you're expecting too much from a single game.
Keep in mind that those maps are largly reskins of other maps, and not "real" new maps.
*rolling my eyes* remove the reqs then tell me how good these "free" maps are. Nothing is ever free.

@OP: boredom and disliking the way halo plays is why I delete the games. In halo 4 all I ever did was custom games for the most part and that was because it's where my community primarily plays. So if I'm not in the community, doubtful I even put a hundred hours into H4. Then we have H5 where I've put in nearly 18 days of playtime, clearly a huge leap compared to H4 and I've been on record saying H5 is the best one since H3. It did a lot of improvements but in the end it's longevity lacked to keep me playing consistently after the first few months. After that I got on for an hour or so, then it got to where I'd do a few games to now where it's deleted. Why? I still don't like the abilities, the "free" maps were reskins of already existing maps and the playlists were so lacking in variety. I remember when btb had 5+ variations or slayer having 8+. Instead now they have 2-4 at best.
Its funny they reskin maps but the not the movement and game play of the older games. Only game that i can think of that still gets updates and DLC and has big player base is GTAV. Rockstar has been doing this for years and have been putting out games that gaming industry needs right now!
New RestrictionsQuitting out restrictions should be harsher the more often they do it the longer they should be banned from matchmaking. First offensive is 5 mins and up the ban by 5 mins each time until the season resets.
I feel like this needs to be a while but not extended in it's current state due to how broken H5 is. Too often I've seen the game break in multiply ways, freeze at the end of a game, I've seen plenty of times where me, friends have randomly been kicked out of a game due to servers issues. If there repeat offenders that have a long pattern of quitting on purpose then yes extend the penalties.

Delta5931 wrote:
You want map packs like in Halo: Reach and Halo 4? We already got map packs in Halo 5. You just didn't notice them because they were all FREE as to not divide the player base. Overgrowth, Riptide, Torque, Tyrant, Stasis, Molten, and Mercy were all DLC Arena maps that were given to us through updates. And then we also got Battle of Noctus, Skirmish at Darkstar, and Attack on Sanctum for Warzone. That's 10 DLC maps in total compared to the 9 that were given in Halo 4's paid season pass. Honestly, if you want more than that, I think you're expecting too much from a single game.
Keep in mind that those maps are largly reskins of other maps, and not "real" new maps.
True plus a lot of the content was taken from the base game, even modes like Forge were hidden until after launch because certain maps couldn't have functioned correctly until Forge was unlocked. Even then 343i gave us no AAA BTB maps whatsoever, just about every playlist is over-saturated with Forge maps made by the community, not 343i.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
I wish if you disconnected from a game you can reenter the game like how it is on Pubg.
343's bad matchmaking meets lazy player's unwillingness to use the wide array of available tools that help to find non-random team mates. So whose fault is this one again?

Harsher bans for quitters wouldn't even be an issue if you would "use the wide array of available tools that help to find non-random team mates." And anyway, bans of any length are a joke. Just keep punishing your player base until they start having fun? Yeah. I'm sure that works brilliantly.
s
White Cell is an atrocious map, but if you're wondering why it's the only forge map (besides Pegasus) to make it into rotation then all you have to do is look at the brutal criticism that befalls any 4v4 map in this game. "It's bad." "It's just a re-mix." "It plays like it was designed by second graders." "Spawning this." "Power weapon that." "Sight line the other thing." It just goes on and on. The point is that the people who take team slayer seriously are borderline personalities who have game play expectations which are so rigid and formalized that nothing (except Sanctuary and Narrows) will ever please them. Oh, and Breakout.
Yeah, okay. Some of what I said was on the harsher side. (yeah just don't off handed call me lazy)

But most of the problems you're describing are a function of low population.
(Because the game got boring and they don't really do a good of bring the group of Halo player together that why they need a tower or group finder in the game to allow players to cooreperate/socialize half the time I hop on because of my friends are on) I'm trying to promote good ideas to the developersThe servers are a whole separate issue. And a bad one. (yeah thats why im bringing it up)Then they'd rip 343 a new one for letting those maps into rotation in the first place. Your reaction to White Cell (which I readily admit to sharing) is a case in point. I doubt that we hate it for the same reasons, but hate is hate just the same.

The Call of Duty point is a good one. I suppose what we really need to be asking ourselves is not how much we'd be willing to spend on population-splitting DLC, but how often we'd be willing to pony up $60 for a new title. Do we want Halo to be annualized like CoD? Or maybe we could have a main line title multiplayer that gets face-lifted half way through the life cycle like Halo 3 multiplayer was with ODST? These all seem like potentially good ideas to me. I'm sure the price tag wouldn't be a road block or else CoD would have failed a long time ago, and I would think that this plan might have a lot of appeal to a developer ever in need of higher and more easily sustained profitability. (I agree)In the mean time you should rifle through customs once in a while. People seem to gravitate to it for chaos and nonsense, but once in a while you'll find a forger play testing something worth while, by which I mean a serious map built for conventional 4v4 gameplay. Of course, the quality of teammates and opponents is random, but how is that really any different than matchmaking? I already have the timmy helmet ;)
For me what makes me want to quit is the amount of smurfs and boosting that happens in i would say HCS but its every playlist.
It sucks that you are not allowed to post their gamertags with proof that they are boosting since its against the forum rules ( kind of dumb if you ask me).
The xbox support twitter handle said boosting is against Xbox Lives Cod of conduct but idk how to go about reporting people cus reporting through Xbox only seems to give people bad rep but thats it even if you report them for cheating.
I'm no expert on what aspects should and should not be implemented in multiplayer so I won't comment on anything else, but I definitely agree with this. Map packs do nothing but split the playerbase and make sure that those willing to buy them can only play with the small portion that did as well. In my opinion if there's one thing that H5 did right with multiplayer, it's making the DLC Maps free.
As for your final point, which I can write out here (the rest are threaded in the quote). Update maps? What's wrong with the existing ones that means they need an update? Forge creations are already massively integrated in. Never heard of white cell, it's not a base map but past Halo games have had us playing the same 10 maps plus 3 new maps every now and again (to a max of something like 20 something maps in reach) for 3 years. People loved it and halo 5 due to forge has an unusually high number of maps being delivered into matchmaking.

I seriously don't understand how you haven't noticed nearly everything you want is in the game already.
The game doesn't have any new maps to play on, the only forge creation they brought in was White Cell and Pegasus (I'm only talking about arena here), not infection or social game types. I'm talking about competitive play. There was DLC's for Reach and Halo 4 where's the one for Halo 5?
Ok, but they did in the first year bring out new maps fairly often, though the selection was not amazing. Also only focusing on arena, which is around 1/5 of this game (arena, campaign/pve firefight, warzone, social arena and customs/forge) is going to reduce your enjoyment. I remember playing Lone wolves in Halo 3 and other ranked modes. Same six or so maps, all the damn time.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
*rolling my eyes* remove the reqs then tell me how good these "free" maps are. Nothing is ever free.

@OP: boredom and disliking the way halo plays is why I delete the games. In halo 4 all I ever did was custom games for the most part and that was because it's where my community primarily plays. So if I'm not in the community, doubtful I even put a hundred hours into H4. Then we have H5 where I've put in nearly 18 days of playtime, clearly a huge leap compared to H4 and I've been on record saying H5 is the best one since H3. It did a lot of improvements but in the end it's longevity lacked to keep me playing consistently after the first few months. After that I got on for an hour or so, then it got to where I'd do a few games to now where it's deleted. Why? I still don't like the abilities, the "free" maps were reskins of already existing maps and the playlists were so lacking in variety. I remember when btb had 5+ variations or slayer having 8+. Instead now they have 2-4 at best.
You are correct in my opinion. I hate the playlist for social and ranked. Few variations is what makes me not want to play much. Only reason I still play is to finish up commendations.
Reasons that make people want to quit? Servers... I'm over connecting to the US or Mexico which is half way around the world, I'm over crap connection to a game where anything I do doesn't register or registers too late and this happens all to often. Frankly I'm not enjoying it atm, not because of the game but because of where I live. I can see H5 being such a fun game but I can't experience the fun only sheer frustration and annoyance. I'm debating in myself if I should walk away from a community that I have come to be a part of, I enjoy waypoint and the friendly helpful people that make Halo great and all of you have become the only people I know that share my addiction to Halo but my issues are shadowing my desire to keep moving forward. Sorry to sound negative but I'm really trying hard to keep my head above water and to let the positives prevail but I just feel so defeated and my confidence in my playing is slowly going. I'm still continuing to fight as I know I'm new to H5 but not to Halo in general. Apology for my rant but you guys are all I have to talk about this to and I just hope 343i is listening to the Australian community and have plans to correct this issue because I really want to stay and play Halo in a fair and equal environment...
LethalQ wrote:
Matchmaking has gotten better if you ask me. Especially considering the population. I will take longer matchmaking times if I get more even teams.
You only say that because you don't care about the state of dedicated halo fans. You just want to destroy Christmas noobs, and nothing more. You can hide the fakeness from other people, but it doesn't work on me. Nice try.

As I have said and proven before, you haven't been in the situation that us higher ranked players have been in, and you're quite oblivious as to why other higher skilled players have given up entirely on halo 5 in favor of games that have less or no MMR at all, such as fortnite.

Maybe take this as a newsflash: MMR DOES MORE HARM THAN GOOD.Yes, there are enough people to make some higher skilled players with some not so good aplayers as a mix. Yes, the game should make the teams as equal as possible. But matching 1 higher skilled player with 11 potatoes against a full team of people that know how to aim and shoot? Please tell me how the hell one person can manage to take on a full team. Go on, I'll wait

Also, what about those that can't find a match with friends? Should they be barred from doing so entirely because the current system thinks that they're too good at the game to face 99% of the population as a party? Obviously I prefer party v. party MM, but completely blocking off someone from playing with friends is a bit overkill, don't you think?

This is the current state of MM, and it will continue to be like this because Hidden MMR is a flawed system. (and it has been proven to be time and time again, as seen in games like advanced warfare) The state of MMR has gotten worse because it locks players with higher win rates to situations where they have a 0% chance of winning, whilst allowing team trash talk to win because "WAV I BEET 1 GUD PLYER WIH FUL TEM I AM SO GUD AT HERLU!!!!1!!!one!!!11!!!!". Same can be said about those who just want to have fun with friends. They can't do that anymore with the current MMR system. The only people who benefit from this are those that will probably never touch a halo game again after halo 5, and I don't blame them - The game is fundamentally flawed at it's current state. It seems like it went from "barebones" to "a disaster waiting to happen" in the span of a several months.

Speaking of how bad MM is currently...
New RestrictionsQuitting out restrictions should be harsher the more often they do it the longer they should be banned from matchmaking. First offensive is 5 mins and up the ban by 5 mins each time until the season resets.
Anyone with a few brain cells would know that this would just discourage people from playing entirely, as again, who wants to deal with frustrating situations in MM, or situations where the user has a 0% chance of winning because they get put on team potato? Why should they get punished for not enjoying the game? It's a lose-lose situation at that point.

Speaking of which...
I WILL NOT BE PLAYING HALO 5 IN THE FUTURE UNLESS they UPDATE the maps where is a DLC? or at least bring FORGE creations into the matchmaking. Ban WHITE CELL change it up creators/pro players get bored and players get tired of playing the same damn maps. HOW in HELL do you think I'm going to play the same maps for the next 1-2 years or god knows when Halo 6 will be announced.
Spoiler alert: You aren't. You honestly expect too much of the things that aren't going to help the game. DLC isn't going to help an already dying game. Refreshing aren't going to keep the game alive either. The community its self keeps this game alive, and obviously the community can't do much at its fragmented state when it comes to MM. Customs browser isn't doing too how either, but that's a completely different problem.
LethalQ wrote:
Matchmaking has gotten better if you ask me. Especially considering the population. I will take longer matchmaking times if I get more even teams.
You only say that because you don't care about the state of dedicated halo fans. You just want to destroy Christmas noobs, and nothing more. You can hide the fakeness from other people, but it doesn't work on me. Nice try.

As I have said and proven before, you haven't been in the situation that us higher ranked players have been in, and you're quite oblivious as to why other higher skilled players have given up entirely on halo 5 in favor of games that have less or no MMR at all, such as fortnite.

Maybe take this as a newsflash: MMR DOES MORE HARM THAN GOOD.Yes, there are enough people to make some higher skilled players with some not so good aplayers as a mix. Yes, the game should make the teams as equal as possible. But matching 1 higher skilled player with 11 potatoes against a full team of people that know how to aim and shoot? Please tell me how the hell one person can manage to take on a full team. Go on, I'll wait

Also, what about those that can't find a match with friends? Should they be barred from doing so entirely because the current system thinks that they're too good at the game to face 99% of the population as a party? Obviously I prefer party v. party MM, but completely blocking off someone from playing with friends is a bit overkill, don't you think?

This is the current state of MM, and it will continue to be like this because Hidden MMR is a flawed system. (and it has been proven to be time and time again, as seen in games like advanced warfare) The state of MMR has gotten worse because it locks players with higher win rates to situations where they have a 0% chance of winning, whilst allowing team trash talk to win because "WAV I BEET 1 GUD PLYER WIH FUL TEM I AM SO GUD AT HERLU!!!!1!!!one!!!11!!!!". Same can be said about those who just want to have fun with friends. They can't do that anymore with the current MMR system. The only people who benefit from this are those that will probably never touch a halo game again after halo 5, and I don't blame them - The game is fundamentally flawed at it's current state. It seems like it went from "barebones" to "a disaster waiting to happen" in the span of a several months.

Speaking of how bad MM is currently...
Anyone with a few brain cells would know that this would just discourage people from playing entirely, as again, who wants to deal with frustrating situations in MM, or situations where the user has a 0% chance of winning because they get put on team potato? Why should they get punished for not enjoying the game? It's a lose-lose situation at that point.
How come no one comprehends what they read any more?! I want to destroy Christmas noobs??? What? I clearly say I will take longer matchmaking times for more EVEN teams... How does wanting more EVEN teams equate to wanting to destroy noobs??? Also I am hardly the to question my dedication to Halo. Halo is about all I play, H5 and MCC. The match making as gotten better because I am getting games that end with closer scores. I have seen way less one sided blow outs now. Clearly has nothing to do with wanting to stomp noobs.

BTW... Players who want MMR removed are more likely the ones who want to stomp noobs... They want that chance to be matched up with lesser skilled players.
LethalQ wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Matchmaking ha
BTW... Players who want MMR removed are more likely the ones who want to stomp noobs... They want that chance to be matched up with lesser skilled players.
They want to stomp noobs to stroke their little egos.
At the end of the day, i just want to have fun playing h5 without being sweaty
LethalQ wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Matchmaking ha
Halo has always been sweaty to me. Except perhaps Reach and H4. But I have always been a competitive player. I always play to win. Heck H3 action sack was even "sweaty" to me. If I don't want "sweaty" play in H5 I play heroic warzone firefight or sometimes even just regular warzone (I really don't care if my team wins or loses there as long as I perform well). You can find some not so sweaty games in the custom browser as well.
LethalQ wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Matchmaking ha
Halo has always been sweaty to me. Except perhaps Reach and H4. But I have always been a competitive player. I always play to win. Heck H3 action sack was even "sweaty" to me. If I don't want "sweaty" play in H5 I play heroic warzone firefight or sometimes even just regular warzone (I really don't care if my team wins or loses there as long as I perform well). You can find some not so sweaty games in the custom browser as well.
yes and yes, i just wish people be able to understand the all the options you can do in halo 5 without getting upset about matchmaking
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3