Here's the thing with vehicles, folks:
1) Vehicles were nerfed after Halo 3 for a reason. This reason being that they were getting a large number of kills. Well, that may be their intended purpose but the issue is this... Newer, inexperienced, or just bad players found they could not destroy a vehicle by simply shooting at it.
In Halo 3, taking out a warthog on Standoff could be a tricky thing to do if the enemy driver knows their stuff. At your disposal were 2 plasma grenades on fast respawn, a power drain on a 30 or 60 second respawn, a plasma pistol, and rockets on a 3 minute respawn.
This is all assuming the enemy got the laser. This is just stuff on your side of the map. So with so many ways to take out a vehicle why did so many players fail to do it? Put simply, it required planning and thought. You had to outsmart the enemy driver, anticipate his or her route, and coordinate with your team.
2) Vehicles are useless because the majority of players simply couldn't handle strong vehicles in the game.
We have people complaining about farming now? What if vehicles could shrug off sniper, br, and dmr rounds like they were nothing?
3) Vehicles were nerfed because the community wouldn't survive if they maintained their strength. It's the same reason Bungie did away with the 1-50 ranking system and introduced seasons, because "people didn't like being told they weren't the best."
4) Essentially, many things in Halo have changed over time to suit the needs of people's inadequacy to deal with certain things.
1) Yes they were nerfed after Halo 3, and vehicles combat has been terrible ever since they did. I'm sorry but vehicles are meant to get a lot of kills....it's a vehicle!! Like a tank or a ghost should be able to wreak you unless you have the right weapon (or a other vehicle) to counter it. Halo shouldn't change just because newer players don't have that instant gratification feeling of destroying one like they get in other FPS. God forbid people have to actually learn to play the game they are playing. 343I needs to realize this.
2) Yes they are now, but they don't have to be if we go back to how they were. I'm sorry but it's not the games fault you don't pick of one of x weapons to take them down. As you said, on Halo 3 map standoff there was a ton of weapons to take out the hogs. I've never understood this whole "I'm playing in a team playlist, yet I should be able to do everything by myself" Give me a break! Your in a team playlist, so use your team. If you don't, then you better at really good at Halo so you can maybe stand a chance to do it solo.
3) I think they were nerfed because people are just cry babies for the most part "Oh it's too hard... I can't kill it" Well maybe you should learn the game. There is always a way, unless your getting spawned killed. The problem is people today again want that instant gratification and if they can't do it the first couple of tries, they quit. It's a pathetic!!! People just need to use there brain, think, and stop running out like a chicken with it's head cut off. I heard Bungie got ride of the 1-50 system because MS told them too. Again, this whole "People can't fail anyone" is a joke. It's why Halo 4 was so bad with all the "hand holding" and dumb, dumb medals like "comeback kill" lol for the player. I'm really sick and tired of video games holding the players hand and making everything super easy! If they want to play that type of game, go play COD where they give you medals for just playing the match it seems.
4) I couldn't agree more with this!!! As I stated above, so many people are a joke these days. I think Halo should be HALO! It should play like HALO. If that means it's not number one again, then fine. Doesn't make it a bad game. I'm 100% convinced there is a market for arena style FPS shooters like Halo 1-3 and sorta 5. Just like there is a market for Turn based RPGs. Sure they aren't the number one selling game on x system, but they have loyal followings and do sell well if they are made well. People say Halo won't be number 1 again ever, I say never is a long time.
Also just want to point out, if it seems like I'm blasting you viper skills, I'm not, I'm just adding my take on what you have said.
I just want vehicles to be feared again like they were in Halo 1-3. Now if you want to use good vehicles, you have to play warzone and use the level ones. BTB vehicles are a huge joke. The whole vehicle system should go back to how it was in Halo 3. Just make sure there are aint vehicle weapons on the maps. If you don't want to learn the game, then maybe Halo just isn't for you. I don't want to drive away players, but that is the truth. Most of my friends have left Halo for a number of different reasons, but one being that BTB is just so terrible now. Unfortunately 343I has kicked it to the curb along with so many other great playlists. Doubles being a other one, but at least it's FINALLY here now. & months too late, but it's here now.
One last statement, Tanks should be feared. If your dumb enough to just go at it shooting your AR, you should be destroyed and you shouldn't make much of a dent at all on that tank, end of story. God what I wouldn't give to have Halo 3 style BTB in Halo 5.
EDIT sorry for long post, but it just really boils my blood how BTB (and other parts of the game) has become a joke. 343I please make this right in Halo 6