Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Removal of Spartan Charge and Ground Pound (Arena)

OP lastbroadcaster

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
Remove charge from the game entirely and ensure it never returns like armor lock. Ground pound is very situational in completive play and should stay. Most of the time, if you were to use ground pound you would be shot out of the sky before you did any damage It can stay as I feel that it is balanced in that regard.
TimeDipper wrote:
Spartan Charge should be removed from the franchise entirely. As mentioned above it takes away from skilled gun play, plus it just isn't fun. Ground pound can stay in my opinion as it does require somewhat skill to actually get a kill.
Kind of agree but feel like the ground pound should be nerfed since I hate that it can instant kill players, at times there's not much time to counter unless there really high up. Also can't stand Spartan charge either since players shouldn't be able to instant kill, it just feels like cheap kills in Castle Wars, etc...
I can say that I hate Spartan Charge with a passion. Not only is it cheap and an easy kill, you can use animation cancels to essentially turn it into an instant kill. On top of that, on high ping, it is almost undodgeable which frustrates those of us that have to deal with it. Halo 5 would benefit from the removal of Spartan Charge. Ground Pound (GP) is something I can deal with, although hitting near someone shouldn't make them one-shot, two-shot, maybe, but I don't mind it. It makes really long distance jumps super easy and you have to hit someone directly in order to kill them if they're full shields. It's main use is in cheeky one-hit GPs though, and these are always risky plays, unlike the Spartan Charge that gives you very little chance to counter, GPs give you the chance to shoot them out of the sky and move away from the damage zone.
If love for charge and pound to be taken out of ranked.

Whenever I'm going around and around the corner someone is sprinting, all they have to do is just hit melee. Its just to easy for spartan charge. Ground pound, im a bit more okay with that.

Now my only real gripe with Spartan charge is it' an easy free kill. It it took off less shields from the front, say your left with 1/4, that way you could conceivably reverse and stand a chance, or just increase the delay from charge to being able to shoot again by a tiny bit, is be more alright with it.

It' just too easy to be killed by it.
The Charge and Pound are terrible, yes i use them all the time, but it doesn't feel like Halo...feels more like taking the same ideas that ruined CoD
The worst thing with charge IMO is that the counter melee is very inconsistent whenever the connection is not near perfect. In laggy games the charge is near impossible to dodge, you can try to thrust away but you still see your opponent connect the charge mid thrust in the place where you were moments before. The ability tracker and a good connection make charge tolerable but I'd rather not have it in the game at all.
I like spartan charge for a boost more than for a kill. Removing ground pound from competitive is an awful decision. I'm afraid they're regressing us back to turtle movement step by step.
Ground Pound is alright, but Spartan Charge is horrible and should have never been put into the game.
I like spartan charge for a boost more than for a kill. Removing ground pound from competitive is an awful decision. I'm afraid they're regressing us back to turtle movement step by step.
Using it as a boost is fine, but doesn’t Thrust do the same job? I’m pretty sure not as many people mind Thrust...
Ocean SIim wrote:
Ocean SIim wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I use the charge all the time and the pound, every now and then... But they don't detract from the game in any way in my opinion.
The problem with the charge is that it gives random sprinting and recklessness a chance to beat good gunplay. It should at least be taken out of competitive.
I don’t think it needs to be taken out. Tweaked so it takes some form of skill. And longer animation perhaps. Something so it’s not a sure kill just because you like to run around
The animation already takes quite a bit to come back. If you ever charge head on the opponent can easily out skill with a return melee and a quick head shot. It's for this reason I say it doesn't add recklessness to anyone but the person using it for head on attacks. Half the time they are used head on, it doesn't work out for the person charging.

However, it is extremely useful to use it to charge someone from behind as you can use it very skillfully to flank and charge.

These are just my opinions and I know they're going to be varying in the community but I say this to maybe bring up some things other may not have though of.

When the game first came out, I thought the same thing (it's not useful and its reckless) , but perhaps maybe it's just you hasn't learn to use it in a skillful way yet. All I'm saying it don't use it just because you can, use it when it's actually useful and then you may have a different opinion of the mechanic. Again, I'm in favor if a new playlist without Spartan abilities. This can really add a different dynamic of play. I don't think it should be removed from the main playlists though.
It doesn’t take into account guys playing with latency I play from aus and 90% of the time it’s undodgeable no matter what I do I get hit behind walls and even when i drop down levels I still get hit a second later when I’m on the ground that’s why I hate it cause no matter what I can’t counter
Ocean SIim wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I use the charge all the time and the pound, every now and then... But they don't detract from the game in any way in my opinion.
The problem with the charge is that it gives random sprinting and recklessness a chance to beat good gunplay. It should at least be taken out of competitive.
Its not random or reckless if you have the intent of doing a charge or pound. Yeah good gunplay is important, but the charge and pound are as fun as they are tactical.
Using it as a boost is fine, but doesn’t Thrust do the same job? I’m pretty sure not as many people mind Thrust...
It can work as a boost while saving your thrust for an engagement.
Every Spartan ability should be removed for H6 (yes, even Sprint). The random chaos that all the Spartan Abilities produce make Halo gimmicky and less fun. Halo should stop trying to be something it's not.
Every Spartan ability should be removed for H6 (yes, even Sprint). The random chaos that all the Spartan Abilities produce make Halo gimmicky and less fun. Halo should stop trying to be something it's not.
Eh, Halo 3 isn’t terribly old to need a remaster already.
Everyone forgets Charge was nerfed in the past.These abilities only add to the feeling of wearing Spartan armor. You are one big metal man and you should feel more advanced than your everyday soldier with shields. It can be frustrating to play against but in my opinion it needs refinement or more "natural armor abilities".
I play H3 often (MCC).

I want a NEW Halo game, that's actually Halo. Not a "this is kind of Halo" game.
I play H3 often (MCC).

I want a NEW Halo game, that's actually Halo. Not a "this is kind of Halo" game.
That’s a really vague statement, and a subjective one at that. However, if you do imply what I think you’re implying, I’ll settle for something like H2A. The more I play 3, the more I remember why I despise it.
I play H3 often (MCC).

That’s a really vague statement, and a subjective one at that. However, if you do imply what I think you’re implying, I’ll settle for something like H2A. The more I play 3, the more I remember why I despise it.
Haha. Yeah, H3 can be frustrating sometimes. I still prefer it over H5.

I think we can both agree that Spartan Abilities have changed Halo for the worst. We'll see what 343 does with H6 (I'm optimistic about it).
I play H3 often (MCC).

Haha. Yeah, H3 can be frustrating sometimes. I still prefer it over H5.

I think we can both agree that Spartan Abilities have changed Halo for the worst. We'll see what 343 does with H6 (I'm optimistic about it).
Advanced mobility showed its dark side to me when I played Titanfall. Too much visual noise.

I can only hope that we can get an enhanced H2A style multiplayer in H6. It’s not as fast as I’d like, but it is a compromise with the rest of the community. Besides, I really like H2A anyway.

If they do pursue advanced mobility more however, I think that it shouldn’t get any more complex than it already is. Titanfall 2 overuses advanced mobility to the point where some Grapple-Grenadier spammer kills you 5 seconds after spawning, and you barely know what happened.
I think the best we can hope for is what we have. A removal of both from the HCS playlist. It is a very welcome change. Those who still love it and want to use it have all the other playlists to use.

I am not under the belief that GP is okay either. Yes, it is very seldom used at high end play, but not so at the low end. There are many, many games I have played, in low ranked games, where that's all the other team are doing.

I have played a few games without it already and it has been a very, very welcome change.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5