Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Remove quit ban from social playlists

OP DieselJimmie

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I still play Halo 5 occasionally and have played quite a bit over the past few days. I play social playlists exclusively because I don't like to sweat and because they are literally meaningless. I find it absurd that there is still a ban in place for people who leave or lag out, especially when one of their teammates already quit. I've had to quit several times because my Dr. (I'm 8 days post surgery) called, and on several of those I was not the first one who quit. I quit my most recent game because it was a 4-3, where my teammate left after we were getting destroyed. Now I'm banned for 3 hours, and this is the second 3-hour ban I've gotten in the last few days.

A social playlist means nothing. NOTHING. LITERALLY, NOTHING. Banning people for leaving such games makes no sense, and banning them for quitting after their teammates leave is absolutely absurd. All I want is to mess around in H5 again without getting pointless bans. 343i, you're better than this.
I agree with you 100%. I would expand it too all the game types though. Only because I'm tired of constantly getting team killed in Breakout, so I'll leave and find another match, only to find out I'm the one getting banned for leaving. The guy team killing and actually ruining the game gets nothing, while the guy who just wants to play the game and finish everything gets banned. You want to punish those that leave ranked matches?? Lower their rank... they're already not getting any xp/rp... come up with a formula (it can be painful, I don't care) and if someone leaves a ranked match before it's conclusion, they pay a hefty price. But don't punish players who are leaving before of other peoples' incompetence.
I still play Halo 5 occasionally and have played quite a bit over the past few days. I play social playlists exclusively because I don't like to sweat and because they are literally meaningless. I find it absurd that there is still a ban in place for people who leave or lag out, especially when one of their teammates already quit. I've had to quit several times because my Dr. (I'm 8 days post surgery) called, and on several of those I was not the first one who quit. I quit my most recent game because it was a 4-3, where my teammate left after we were getting destroyed. Now I'm banned for 3 hours, and this is the second 3-hour ban I've gotten in the last few days.

A social playlist means nothing. NOTHING. LITERALLY, NOTHING. Banning people for leaving such games makes no sense, and banning them for quitting after their teammates leave is absolutely absurd. All I want is to mess around in H5 again without getting pointless bans. 343i, you're better than this.
Prewojo wrote:
I agree with you 100%. I would expand it too all the game types though. Only because I'm tired of constantly getting team killed in Breakout, so I'll leave and find another match, only to find out I'm the one getting banned for leaving. The guy team killing and actually ruining the game gets nothing, while the guy who just wants to play the game and finish everything gets banned. You want to punish those that leave ranked matches?? Lower their rank... they're already not getting any xp/rp... come up with a formula (it can be painful, I don't care) and if someone leaves a ranked match before it's conclusion, they pay a hefty price. But don't punish players who are leaving before of other peoples' incompetence.
The first player to quit a ranked match already gets the max rank penalty in addition to the quit ban. If someone is team killing, you can report them via the waypoint ticket system.

In ranked, you can quit if 1 person on your team already has without any additional penalty.

As for social, quitting or idling hurts your team and leads to a frustrating experience for everyone else, without any quit bans it would be a huge issue. An occasional quit isn’t going to lead to a ban — if you save it for when you actually have a (real world) reason to quit.

If you just want to mess around, you can always join a custom.
If you are getting enough phone calls that you are receiving a 3 hour ban for quitting, maybe you should set up a better time to play. I've had to quit for interruptions multiple times over my Halo career, and I think the harshest I have had was a 15 minute ban one time.

3 hours means that it is habitual. If you have to quit that much, you are actively messing up matches for other people. Join in progress is a nice band aid for this, but it doesn't mean everyone can just back out without penalty (they have tried that before, it turns bad).

It stinks to be in an unbalanced match, or to have bad teammates, but you grit your teeth and work through it. It happens to everyone. Save the few un-penalized quits for times you really can't finish the game.
IGRS wrote:

Prewojo wrote:
The first player to quit a ranked match already gets the max rank penalty in addition to the quit ban. If someone is team killing, you can report them via the waypoint ticket system.

In ranked, you can quit if 1 person on your team already has without any additional penalty.

As for social, quitting or idling hurts your team and leads to a frustrating experience for everyone else, without any quit bans it would be a huge issue. An occasional quit isn’t going to lead to a ban — if you save it for when you actually have a (real world) reason to quit.

I did not know that about ranked (never paid attention when i quit) so I apologize for that... and I’m sorry, but the onus shouldn’t be on me to report team killers. I know 343 can only do so much, and I don’t really have a better idea... but I shouldn’t be penalized by being forced to suffer through a match with those types of players, and then have to tell 343 about it. But that’s another discussion for another thread (pretty sure there are several out there).

But for area (and even firefight)... yes there should be bans for your idlers and those who are habitual about it... but in my case, i quit 2 matches in the span of about an hour... and got a 10 minute ban (again because i was dealing with a team killer who made it his mission to kill me before we left spawn)... thats a bit excessive. I just don’t know what a better answer would be... and at least for me, it is what it is and you just have to deal with what we’ve got...
IGRS wrote:

The player being team killed is now being held hostage metaphorically speaking. What if it happens three times in a row? What if he keeps getting team killed all night? At some point people have to contend with the fact that people acting like wanks creates a bigger issue than just sitting it out and accepting it. They do it because they know the person is either A) Going to quit which leads to the ban B) Sit there and have to take it.

The affected player paid money to play a game and have fun, not to be a paperweight for someone else's anti-friendly behaviour. Large parts of community really seem to repeat the "Greater good" mantra from Hot fuzz.
Mongerty wrote:
If you are getting enough phone calls that you are receiving a 3 hour ban for quitting, maybe you should set up a better time to play. I've had to quit for interruptions multiple times over my Halo career, and I think the harshest I have had was a 15 minute ban one time.

3 hours means that it is habitual. If you have to quit that much, you are actively messing up matches for other people. Join in progress is a nice band aid for this, but it doesn't mean everyone can just back out without penalty (they have tried that before, it turns bad).

It stinks to be in an unbalanced match, or to have bad teammates, but you grit your teeth and work through it. It happens to everyone. Save the few un-penalized quits for times you really can't finish the game.
This type of thinking is the reason why these bans are in place. I don't control when my doctor calls, and if I don't answer then there's a chance I won't be able to talk to him until the following day or week. It isn't my fault that he's calling during a game, and I have literally no idea when he's going to call. Am I supposed to just stare at the wall from 9 until 5? Come on. Instead of blaming the player, we need to look at the shortcomings of the system. In this case, the shortcomings are ONLY in the ban protocol.

"3 hours means that it is habitual. If you have to quit that much, you are actively messing up matches for other people. Join in progress is a nice band aid for this, but it doesn't mean everyone can just back out without penalty (they have tried that before, it turns bad)." Again, going back to the significance of a social game. Social games mean nothing. NOTHING. You aren't messing the experience up for anyone in a game that doesn't mean anything. I should only be banned if there are real consequences for leaving, which is only the case in a ranked playlist - there is no bad that comes from leaving a social playlist.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
IGRS wrote:

Prewojo wrote:

Join a custom...are you serious? Literally nobody plays customs anymore. There's nothing in those playlists that I consider fun. Again, remove the pointless bans and this issue is solved.
There are always tons of customs going on..at peak times there are 100+ just in the customs browser.

The bans aren’t pointless, just don’t quit too often and don’t idle and you’ll be fine.
Social has a ranking system its just not visible if I'm not mistaken. Each game should match like you're in ranked and so the same should apply.
Mongerty wrote:

......Social games mean nothing. NOTHING. You aren't messing the experience up for anyone in a game that doesn't mean anything. I should only be banned if there are real consequences for leaving, which is only the case in a ranked playlist - there is no bad that comes from leaving a social playlist.
Thank goodness you aren't the decision maker for things like this. Just because an imaginary rank doesn't show up from the matches doesn't mean that people should be allowed to actively make the experience worse for others. I get that you have more important stuff going on, but if the matches truly mean so little to you, then maybe don't get so upset when you get a justified time out from playing them.

Some of us only get a few matches a day, and we have seen how bad the experience becomes in MCC when quitting has little to no penalty, even in social matches that "mean nothing".
Quote:
Again, going back to the significance of a social game. Social games mean nothing. NOTHING. You aren't messing the experience up for anyone in a game that doesn't mean anything. I should only be banned if there are real consequences for leaving, which is only the case in a ranked playlist - there is no bad that comes from leaving a social playlist.
It should also be noted that "ranked" means nothing too. It's just a game and there are no "real consequences". Sure your rank will fluctuate... but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter, it's just a game and I think that fact is lost on waaaay too many people in this game. There's no bad that comes from leaving. Sure the person leaving gets a ban... but what do I get if I was on that person's team and they left?? Nothing really... I still get my xp, still get my medals and kills and all that jazz... so my rank goes down a little because we lost... guess what?? You can play another match... no big deal...

Fun side note... I can't for the life of me figure out why this game is still so ridiculously sweaty after 6 years... it's insane to me that people think this game is somehow that meaningful and significant. At the end of the day, still just a game...
Ngl im replying for no reason
IGRS wrote:

The player being team killed is now being held hostage metaphorically speaking. What if it happens three times in a row? What if he keeps getting team killed all night? At some point people have to contend with the fact that people acting like wanks creates a bigger issue than just sitting it out and accepting it. They do it because they know the person is either A) Going to quit which leads to the ban B) Sit there and have to take it.

The affected player paid money to play a game and have fun, not to be a paperweight for someone else's anti-friendly behaviour. Large parts of community really seem to repeat the "Greater good" mantra from Hot fuzz.
If they keep betraying you, you can boot them. You can also report them (https://support.halowaypoint.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036218972-How-to-Submit-a-Halo-Support-Ticket).
I’m sorry but I couldn’t disagree more strongly with this.
C0ldM0use wrote:
There is no lack of logic coming from my side of this argument. I really struggle to see how someone can disagree. It's a social playlist that means nothing, and that's where the story should end.
C0ldM0use wrote:
There is no lack of logic coming from my side of this argument. I really struggle to see how someone can disagree. It's a social playlist that means nothing, and that's where the story should end.
That’s exactly where the break in logic is — if it means nothing, it doesn’t matter if you get banned.
IGRS wrote:
C0ldM0use wrote:
That’s exactly where the break in logic is — if it means nothing, it doesn’t matter if you get banned.
The logic break occurs when someone says " whale, it doesn't matter if you get banned" despite the player now losing (at minimum) ten minutes of play time. Time means something, and it is not a infinite resource.

Nobody has been able to present a logical argument, point, or remark on as to why there should be a penalty for leaving a social playlist - which as we mentioned supposedly means nothing.

Is there a penalty for leaving a pick up footy game at the local park for whatever reason? Is there a penalty for leaving a party early? Should society put you in time out for leaving social events that are just that, social events?

You don't ban people for quitting a social match, especially when you could just ultimately place persistent quitters in lobbies with players of similar ilk.
IGRS wrote:
C0ldM0use wrote:
The logic break occurs when someone says " whale, it doesn't matter if you get banned" despite the player now losing (at minimum) ten minutes of play time. Time means something, and it is not a infinite resource.

Nobody has been able to present a logical argument, point, or remark on as to why there should be a penalty for leaving a social playlist - which as we mentioned supposedly means nothing.

Is there a penalty for leaving a pick up footy game at the local park for whatever reason? Is there a penalty for leaving a party early? Should society put you in time out for leaving social events that are just that, social events?

You don't ban people for quitting a social match, especially when you could just ultimately place persistent quitters in lobbies with players of similar ilk.
Here is a good reason why that I heard someone say once: "Time means something, and it is not a infinite resource."

By quitting in the middle of a match you are also ruining at least 7 other players match. If you quit in the middle of pick up games at the park all of the time, don't expect to be invited back. Same goes for parties. If you are consistent in not showing up or leaving super early, your friends will probably at the very least call you out on it, or maybe forget to tell you about the next gathering. Society absolutely does punish people for flaking on events that are dependent on their participation, even if not directly.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2