2. ...
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. 12
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. ...
  9. 15
The REQ system is not well liked and "unintrusive", it's the opposite and I know Frankie knows this, but MS told him to say what he said. I'm not buying Halo 6 if it has any form of MTX.
I think Frankie is capable of making his own questionable opinions.
I've initiated a community survey regarding MTX/lootboxes in Halo.

LINK to survey (Google forms) – 3-5 min

From the insane Halo fan (me) who spent dozens of hours of his free time to bring you
Yes we care: Big Halo campaign & storytelling survey results (440+ respondents)
comes another survey…

This time it’s about the hotly discussed topic of microtransactions (MTX) / lootboxes with special reference to Halo 5’s REQ-system.

My goal is to better understand what Halo players really think about that provocative subject.
The more people participate, the more differentiated and honest they answer, the better results we get!

* This survey is for community information/discussion only!
* This survey is anonymous, you may skip questions whenever you feel like it!
* I will share the results on Halo Reddit and Waypoint as soon as I’ve gathered enough data
* I will upload the raw data for everyone to use

Please share the link below!

LINK to survey (Google forms) – 3-5 minFrom the insane Halo fan (me) who spent dozens of hours of his free time to bring you
Yes we care: Big Halo campaign & storytelling survey results (440+ respondents)comes another survey…

This time it’s about the hotly discussed topic of microtransactions (MTX) / lootboxes with special reference to Halo 5’s REQ-system.

My goal is to better understand what Halo players really think about that provocative subject.
The more people participate, the more differentiated and honest they answer, the better results we get!

* I will share the results on Halo Reddit and Waypoint as soon as I’ve gathered enough data

I appreciate the idea behind the survey, but I think its pretty flawed as is.

Lootboxes need to be separated from microtransactions as a whole. It creates and all or nothing question of paid DLC vs Microtransactions that doesn't lend itself to any sort of nuance. For example I find there is a huge ethical divide between lootboxes(cosmetic only or not) and say fixed price cosmetic MTX(think Titanfall 2). Not all Microtransactions are created equal.

And beyond that there is the issue of whether MTXs of any kind should be integrated into game systems(such as progression) ala Halo 5/Destiny2/Battlefront2 or be a system outside the game itself.

From the insane Halo fan (me) who spent dozens of hours of his free time to bring you
comes another survey…

You should send the results to Frankie.
I'm completely fine with the req system in warzone and for things like skins. But I think that the armor should be like Halo 4's (Helmet, Chest piece, L.Shoulder, R.Shoulder, Forearms, Legs) as well as complete emblem customization like Reach's but better (Foreground, Background, but a third option as well the "nameplate" like thing in Halo 5 that's right next ot the actual emblem) I still think some emblems and armor should be unlocked through achievements, ranking up and doing well in ranked. I also think they should add tertiary color options for armor either like in Halo 3 or like how some armor in Halo 5 have tertiary colors.
Seeing as Halo 5 is pretty much built around the REQ system... I can't see how anyone would think it is "Unintrusive"
Seeing as Halo 5 is pretty much built around the REQ system... I can't see how anyone would think it is "Unintrusive"
Yeah, having one game mode (Warzone) built around the content you unlock from REQ Packs (minus cosmetics) and offering the most in terms of REQ Point payouts for the in-game purchasing of REQ Packs (nevermind 343 provides best-value bundles and price cuts on REQ Packs for real money) while Arena gametypes don't pay out as much...unless you use boosts unlocked with REQ Packs.

You can argue the benevolence of the system, but it's pretty well-built into Halo 5's infrastructure.
The REQ system is not well liked and "unintrusive", it's the opposite and I know Frankie knows this, but MS told him to say what he said. I'm not buying Halo 6 if it has any form of MTX.
I think Frankie is capable of making his own questionable opinions.
Could be either one. Higher-ups from Microsoft and/or 343i could've very well told him to always promote the REQ system by saying it's "Unintrusive" and "Well-liked". I honestly find that easier to believe than what Frank O'Connor said being his genuine opinion. At least with the former, Frank O'Connor is nothing more than a puppet for those above him. Because with the latter, Frank O'Connor's genuine and warped logic makes the future of Halo not look very bright.
I don't think it's that intrusive other than the fact that armor is trapped behind it.
LethalQ wrote:
I bet the req system would have been more accepted had they done these two things... #1 have some cosmetics unlocked exclusively through game play/achievements....#2 had different level "wild cards" that let you pick a req from time to time whether it be a cosmetic, weapon or vehicle. That way you still have stuff that needs to be earned and occasionally you can possibly get that one thing you really want.
I love the idea of a wild card
343, if the req system does return please add a wild card
I don't think it's that intrusive other than the fact that armor is trapped behind it.
LethalQ wrote:
I bet the req system would have been more accepted had they done these two things... #1 have some cosmetics unlocked exclusively through game play/achievements....#2 had different level "wild cards" that let you pick a req from time to time whether it be a cosmetic, weapon or vehicle. That way you still have stuff that needs to be earned and occasionally you can possibly get that one thing you really want.
I love the idea of a wild card
343, if the req system does return please add a wild card
I also really like this wild card idea, that sounds amazing.
However this statement:
Quote:
"I don't think it's intrusive...other than...."
So you do think it's intrusive!

Please be careful with your words here, this is a full scale MTX crisis we're dealing with here, and if you give them an inch of slack they're gonna take a mile.
I don't hate the req pack but I am also not a huge fan of it. If it stays in game modes like warzone and only warzone then that is fine but if it ever makes the jump to arena playlists then that is not okay.

The armor needs to be unlocked like it use to. I miss the days when have cool armor actually mean't something and not just luck.

comes another survey…

The problem here is that these results aren't all that telling. We have one group of players who undoubtedly (and perhaps rightfully) hate the REQ system. They will be vocal about it on the forums and social media. There probably aren't very many people who like it, per se, but rather don't mind it. So they buy a pack or two every now and then. That money is a vote in support of MTX in Halo.

I just don't think a community poll is going to mean much. I think we all know what the results will be. Meanwhile, the people who actually do support REQs or do not mind them, aren't going to voice their opinions via the echo chamber we are in (anti-MTX). They're just going to keep playing the game how they want and spend their money on REQs if they want.

I'm not saying one way or the other is right or wrong. I don't think the REQ system is as bad WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER SYSTEMS. I would say Frankie was misunderstood on some parts but certainly wrong when he says they are "liked."

LINK to survey (Google forms) – 3-5 minFrom the insane Halo fan (me) who spent dozens of hours of his free time to bring you
Yes we care: Big Halo campaign & storytelling survey results (440+ respondents)comes another survey…

Done.

comes another survey…

The problem here is that these results aren't all that telling. We have one group of players who undoubtedly (and perhaps rightfully) hate the REQ system. They will be vocal about it on the forums and social media. There probably aren't very many people who like it, per se, but rather don't mind it. So they buy a pack or two every now and then. That money is a vote in support of MTX in Halo.

I just don't think a community poll is going to mean much. I think we all know what the results will be. Meanwhile, the people who actually do support REQs or do not mind them, aren't going to voice their opinions via the echo chamber we are in (anti-MTX). They're just going to keep playing the game how they want and spend their money on REQs if they want.

I'm not saying one way or the other is right or wrong. I don't think the REQ system is as bad WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER SYSTEMS. I would say Frankie was misunderstood on some parts but certainly wrong when he says they are "liked."
I agree with you here, however, lets remember that even EA had MTX systems that werent "that bad". Think Mass effect 3, Battlefield 4. It happens slowly, not fast. Its been 5 years, onto 6, of this. Halo started with DLC armour and skins, RNG skins/armor was a logical next step, however they also added weapons into the mix....

It certainly is not as bad when compared to other systems, however it is still frustrating and intrusive due to how bloated it is. I am sure BOTH sides can agree on that.
Technically, there is a progression system, just not a direct one. For example, you gain xp per game right? Along with those is REQ points you level up, get RP, buy packs, and get armor.
I just watched a video about the req system made by the YouTuber Aozolai (he’s pretty goo check him out) and he came up with a good balance for the req system. In warzone, everybody would be given all base weapons (assault rifle, magnum, smg, dmr, and halo 2 battle rifle) and could gain new variants through commendations such as kills, headshots, double kills, boss takedown, etc. and maybe use less weapon variants that nobody is going to use because of we had to unlock all 30 something variants, that would be kinda weird. And for armor, I think there could be an assortment of armor and helmets, and maybe even halo reach’s system with shoulder, knee, and chest variants. But there shouldn’t be too many, as to not widen the loot pool. In response, some or many armors and helmets that were not well received and clearly not worked on too hard. I hope this is taken into consideration as it could benefit 343 and I think they deserve credit and need a win.
A big problem with the req system is the amount of trash I know there has to be bad stuff in a micro transaction system but halo 5 takes it way too far
Ok I don't if anyone from 343i will read this but, look at the success of the Halo Reach system of armor unlocks and the perks. Use that for halo 6. The system was so much fun and I still play it to this day just so I can try and get a high rank and cool armors. Recently I haven't played Halo 5 because its just boring and I never know what I'm going to get in those packs. Another thing that should be added are challenges cause those we awesome and made it easier to get CR. The final thing is firefight matchmaking. If you do add this it should be there to stay.
In warzone, everybody would be given all base weapons (assault rifle, magnum, smg, dmr, and halo 2 battle rifle) and could gain new variants through commendations such as kills, headshots, double kills, boss takedown, etc. and maybe use less weapon variants that nobody is going to use because of we had to unlock all 30 something variants, that would be kinda weird.
I strongly disagree with the idea of making loadouts and/or their attachments unlockable through progression in any way. It's pointlessly unfair to new players, and it provides no benefit other than to create more stuff to fill the req pool with. If a Halo game is going to have loadouts (and whether they should in the first place is debatable), then they should not have to be unlocked from progression and should be available to all players from the beginning, in order to give everyone more equal starts and not needlessly give veteran players even more of an advantage over new players.

And if you're talking about unlocking req variants and not loadouts, then I still don't see the point of making them unlockable from commendations. If those commendations couldn't be earned outside of PvP, then you'd be leaving firefight players out of the fun. Everyone who suggests this idea seems to be forgetting that firefight players exist. So do you want all the weapon variants to be unlocked just from getting AI and boss kill commendations? Really, why even make it so complicated? I've gotta say, I'm not a fan of this idea.
But there shouldn’t be too many, as to not widen the loot pool. In response, some or many armors and helmets that were not well received and clearly not worked on too hard.
Here's a fundamental problem with this idea: why would 343 choose not to widen the loot pool with tons of filler crap? If we keep the req system but only slightly change it, as this Youtuber is suggesting, then what reason does 343 have to cut down on the sloppy armor and identical visors? Sure, it would be great if they did, but as long as there's a req system in any form and microtransactions are involved with it, I can't see them doing that.

For that matter, how would this solve the problem of the req system giving 343 a monetary incentive to favor Warzone over other modes such as BTB? Sorry but I disagree with this Youtuber; I think it would be much better if the req system were trashed altogether. I won't disagree that 343 "needs a win" but how about they get their wins in less intrusive ways?
In warzone, everybody would be given all base weapons (assault rifle, magnum, smg, dmr, and halo 2 battle rifle) and could gain new variants through commendations such as kills, headshots, double kills, boss takedown, etc. and maybe use less weapon variants that nobody is going to use because of we had to unlock all 30 something variants, that would be kinda weird.
I strongly disagree with the idea of making loadouts and/or their attachments unlockable through progression in any way. It's pointlessly unfair to new players, and it provides no benefit other than to create more stuff to fill the req pool with. If a Halo game is going to have loadouts (and whether they should in the first place is debatable), then they should not have to be unlocked from progression and should be available to all players from the beginning, in order to give everyone more equal starts and not needlessly give veteran players even more of an advantage over new players.

And if you're talking about unlocking req variants and not loadouts, then I still don't see the point of making them unlockable from commendations. If those commendations couldn't be earned outside of PvP, then you'd be leaving firefight players out of the fun. Everyone who suggests this idea seems to be forgetting that firefight players exist. So do you want all the weapon variants to be unlocked just from getting AI and boss kill commendations? Really, why even make it so complicated? I've gotta say, I'm not a fan of this idea.
But there shouldn’t be too many, as to not widen the loot pool. In response, some or many armors and helmets that were not well received and clearly not worked on too hard.
Here's a fundamental problem with this idea: why would 343 choose not to widen the loot pool with tons of filler crap? If we keep the req system but only slightly change it, as this Youtuber is suggesting, then what reason does 343 have to cut down on the sloppy armor and identical visors? Sure, it would be great if they did, but as long as there's a req system in any form and microtransactions are involved with it, I can't see them doing that.

For that matter, how would this solve the problem of the req system giving 343 a monetary incentive to favor Warzone over other modes such as BTB? Sorry but I disagree with this Youtuber; I think it would be much better if the req system were trashed altogether. I won't disagree that 343 "needs a win" but how about they get their wins in less intrusive ways?
Well thanks for being respectful with the presentation of your opinion. My purpose was to bring up the idea of making the loot pool smaller so that 343 can still get their req money, and we can get more generally preferred items. Sure it’s a flawed idea, but it was simply trying to get a good-ish compromise.
Recently Frank O’Connor stated this about the REQ system "We watched the EA battlefront thing with the curiosity you'd expect - but our current req system is player focused and well liked and unintrusive as far as these things go."

The game is built around the REQ System with no way to unlock armour or skins through a progression system, forcing you to go into the store just to open a pack. I personally find the system to be intrusive and I wanna hear everyone's thoughts on the matter. I'm honestly concerned that 343 sees their system as this even after the Battlefront 2 EA debacle.
I do agree with the 80%, yes they should make some items to be unlocked via certain campaign/multiplayer challenges, but don't worry too much, gears of war 4 unlock system is worse, and there are other games even worse
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. 12
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. ...
  9. 15