Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] REQs and Microtransactions are ruining games.

OP WarMachine01992

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Nornfang
Scout Outrider
Helljumper Armor
Centurion Armor
Whispered Truth
Technician Armor
Oathsworn
Locus Edge
Argus Armor
Prophet's Bane

Some of these are cosmetic, and some are actual gameplay items that are unavailable in custom games, forge, or anything that's not warzone.
All of these items listed above, and a hell of a lot of others, have a very similar way to unlock them.

To unlock these, you have a choice
$800+
500+ hours of game play

Maybe it's just me, but these are ridiculous requirements for things in the game. And the fact that most of you are okay with this and support it, means it's only going to get worse. I can't tell you not to spend your money how you want, but this is just something to think about.
The Door with the Exit sign above it. On the other side of the hill the grass is greener
I am paying less for games than I was 30 years ago and one of the reasons for this is microtransactions.
Myala wrote:
I am paying less for games than I was 30 years ago and one of the reasons for this is microtransactions.
Are you though? I don't remember games being $60 for the game itself plus however much gets gouged in microtransactions back then.
Microtransactions belong in Free to Play games. They don't belong in Triple-A $60 titles.
500 hours, is that all?

When I buy a game I plan to play it for the long-run, I put in over 3k hours in Skyrim alone. I plan to play Halo 5 until the next Halo drops, so actually spending time playing to unlock things isn't really a problem.
No. No they're not. Enough with the pseudo justice warrior crap already.
The Door with the Exit sign above it. On the other side of the hill the grass is greener
And it pains me to quit something like Halo, which I've loved for so long, but it really looks like this franchise and most others are headed in a downward spiral.
500 hours, is that all?

When I buy a game I plan to play it for the long-run, I put in over 3k hours in Skyrim alone. I plan to play Halo 5 until the next Halo drops, so actually spending time playing to unlock things isn't really a problem.
500 hours means playing 5 hours a day, for 100 days. And the 500 hours is only in-game matchmaking time. It doesn't include campaign, custom games, forge, theater, lobbies and loading time, opening and selling REQs, and it also doesn't take into account that with all the REQs being added into the game, this amount will likely hit 1000 hours within a few months, and continue to grow.

5 hours a day is nauseating too. It's physically harmful to oneself to do that.
Let's hope that in H6 they at least make cosmetics earnable items instead of RNG, and that they don't push the REQ packs any harder then they are already.
500 hours, is that all?

This. Whats the point of buying a game you hardly play? I have not even scratched the surface of halo 5 yet.
Myala wrote:
Are you though? I don't remember games being $60 for the game itself plus however much gets gouged in microtransactions back then.
Microtransactions belong in Free to Play games. They don't belong in Triple-A $60 titles.
I meant 20 years ago but the same applies for 30 years ago as well. There was a lot less content in the games back then and the prices were similar.
Let's hope that in H6 they at least make cosmetics earnable items instead of RNG, and that they don't push the REQ packs any harder then they are already.
This is the only Halo thus far with unlockable items that has no cosmetic items that are earned through rank, through commendations, or through campaign completion or skulls. In fact, the only things "cosmetic" which are earned through commendations are emblems, which you started with everything unlocked for customizable emblems in EVERY single previous Halo (except for Combat Evolved).

The fact that the only way to earn specific items is to grind painful amounts of hours to play, with that time extending more and more as more useless items are added to the game, is such a -Yoink- downgrade from previous games.
I agree completely OP.

With these people if 343 came up and punched them with a boxing glove that said "Halo" on it they would STILL defend them from anyone that dare say they don't like the system.
My biggest problem with MTs is that it provokes companies to purposely make the not-MT game modes suffer, just to keep the population/buyers away from those modes, so that they can sell more MTs for the game modes that use them. I believe that's why we got Halo 5 with gutted game modes, no 343 made BTB maps, a late Forge (with Superman 64 controls), no Infection, no offline Forge/Customs, no Firefight, etc..

They don't want us spending time in those modes, because it cuts back on MT sales. "But it pays for DLC". Yea, but at the expense of everything I just mentioned above. I will never buy MTs in Halo, but I would gladly buy traditional DLC. "But MTs support Halo.." No, it only hurts Halo. I'll support Halo when Halo supports me.
If you weren't planning on spending 500+ hours playing to begin with, your views on anything halo are irrelevant.
If you weren't planning on spending 500+ hours playing to begin with, your views on anything halo are irrelevant.
Do you have any idea how long 500+ hours actually is?
This is also not just 500 hours. It's 500 hours of actual matchmaking gameplay. This doesn't include campaign, custom games, theater, forge, time spent loading maps, time spent looking for players, time spent customizing your Spartan. Also, with more REQs being added, this number grows. If you have a job, and go to school, have friends, a relationship, and any other video games, and also want to enjoy other Halo 5 features, like forge, 500 hours in matchmaking is impossible.

And don't tell me that my views on anything Halo are irrelevant. I've been here since Combat Evolved and played every game steadily. If you ARE planning on spending 500+ hours in matchmaking, you must've put the rest of your life on a pretty low priority.
But just ten hours a week will allow you 100% the game close to the Halo 6 launch.
Oh and one more thing. I played Reach a lot. When Halo 4 was out, I played that and Reach, and only completely stopped Reach with the MCC's release, once I got an Xbox one. In those 3 years of playing Reach pretty vigorously, I logged about 300 hours of time in Matchmaking.
Point is, this just sets the precedent for things having ridiculous unlock processes unless you're willing to hand out obscene amounts of real cash to the game. And it's shady practice.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2