Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] REQs and Microtransactions are ruining games.

OP WarMachine01992

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
If you weren't planning on spending 500+ hours playing to begin with, your views on anything halo are irrelevant.
Do you have any idea how long 500+ hours actually is?
20 days time. It's not rocket science. I know plenty of Halo fans that have put that much time into the games, even the bad ones. Not to mention 500+ hours is a gross over exaggeration. You'll have everything sans some emblems unlocked by the time you hit level 100.
500 hours, is that all?

When I buy a game I plan to play it for the long-run, I put in over 3k hours in Skyrim alone. I plan to play Halo 5 until the next Halo drops, so actually spending time playing to unlock things isn't really a problem.
the same for me , you all can find me here until the next Halo , and 500 hours is nothing
Or you just need luck. The thrill of unlocking is great!

But you know what, you don't NEED those items. Warzone is a complimentary gametype. Halo doesn't NEED microtransactions or Warzone, it only NEEDS Arena. Which i might add is completely free.

I dropped $60 bucks on REQs. I'm almost done collecting everything. I think its fun.
Maybe it's just me, but these are ridiculous requirements for things in the game. And the fact that most of you are okay with this and support it, means it's only going to get worse. I can't tell you not to spend your money how you want, but this is just something to think about.
I like "Halo 5" and its REQ system. At least here you aren't limited to just paying for the items. I mean yeah I totally hate micro-transactions in general for many games over the years, most which have been passed off as "DLC" or pre-order bonuses, and yeah those were for permanent items vs. temporary power items, but at least here you figure these micro-transactions that are done in cash for those who NEED access to so-and-so weapons/vehicles/whatever are paying for free DLCs for the entire community. Remember when we had to pay for each friggin' Map Pack back in the earlier versions of the franchise?

At least here, if you can wait, you can play the game and get REQ points to save up. You even get bonuses that you can use or sell to earn more REQ points. I mean I bought I think, at most $12 in REQ packs during the first week, but since then have just been playing and saving my points. I work full-time and freelance afterwards and/or on the weekends, so I still manage to play the game and enjoy it, but if you just bought the game and barely play it, then that was just a waste of money. However I make enough to at least open a Gold or two Silver REQ Packs from just casually playing. I'll let others fund my DLC by buying the transactions in lieu of me. Let the Youtubers spend $300 for their REQ Pack opening videos.

You know what's really shady? Disc-Locked Content.
Nornfang
Scout Outrider
Helljumper Armor
Centurion Armor
Whispered Truth
Technician Armor
Oathsworn
Locus Edge
Argus Armor
Prophet's Bane

Some of these are cosmetic, and some are actual gameplay items that are unavailable in custom games, forge, or anything that's not warzone.
All of these items listed above, and a hell of a lot of others, have a very similar way to unlock them.

To unlock these, you have a choice
$800+
500+ hours of game play

Maybe it's just me, but these are ridiculous requirements for things in the game. And the fact that most of you are okay with this and support it, means it's only going to get worse. I can't tell you not to spend your money how you want, but this is just something to think about.
Or you could just be very very lucky
Oh god. Another one of these threads.
First off, $800? How's that now? I'm at 100% and only spent $300.
and regardless, reqs are cosmetic and/or only used in warzone, where there is no rank or real competitive side. So they're by no means mandatory, game-breaking, or creating a p2w environment. If you don't like MTs, don't buy them. But be warned, this is where gaming is at these days. WoW, FIFA, Destiny, Halo... Not to mention mobile games... Accept that this isn't the future -- it's the present of gaming. Whingeing about it won't fix anything. At least be happy that halo's system is essentially just cosmetic.
Myala wrote:
I am paying less for games than I was 30 years ago and one of the reasons for this is microtransactions.
Are you though? I don't remember games being $60 for the game itself plus however much gets gouged in microtransactions back then.
Microtransactions belong in Free to Play games. They don't belong in Triple-A $60 titles.
There's this little thing called inflation. Look into it, research for how much games sold back in the nes times then come back with good info to talk about this cause you can't be more wrong on that aspect.
cjpinto wrote:
Myala wrote:
I am paying less for games than I was 30 years ago and one of the reasons for this is microtransactions.
Are you though? I don't remember games being $60 for the game itself plus however much gets gouged in microtransactions back then.
Microtransactions belong in Free to Play games. They don't belong in Triple-A $60 titles.
There's this little thing called inflation. Look into it, research for how much games sold back in the nes times then come back with good info to talk about this cause you can't be more wrong on that aspect.
This, FFIII back on SNES was 70 bucks back in the 90's when I bought it. That's almost $120 by todays inflation rate.
I remember when people said DLC would be the death of video games.....lolololol
If people want to spend $800 on something that is pure chance, they can go right ahead.

If people want to play like, five matches and then buy a Gold Pack after they've unlocked all their commons and uncommons and have a good chance of getting the things you've listed, they can also go right ahead.

Locke'd.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2