Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Returning to Halo 5 & Skill gap

OP Ferocity Rx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Back in 2016 I was on the Halo 5 grind, I would play regularly (wz & arena), usually placed onyx, sometimes got into champ and I would match all champion players for FFA placement games (the struggle was real).

I ended up selling my xbox before the summer of 2016 and haven't played it since. A few weeks ago I ended up getting an xbox out of boredom and oh boy... how times have changed.

The game is a lot less populated which is not too suprising but what did catch my eye was that I was getting 5 shot by everyone and their dogs. So here I am trying to get back into the game and diamond players which I would run circles around 3 years ago are destroying me.

I have definitely gotten worse from not playing as long as I did, but has the average H5 player gotten better? On top of that most players seem to have better situational awareness and I keep getting team shot on a regular.

Anyone have similar experiences? Did you end up being better than you were before or you never made it back to that level cause the competition caught up?
Side note: Echelon is a horrible map and needs to be removed.
The players still playing (WZ atleast) are team players and arent potatoes anymore. One man WZ squads are a thing of the past unless you match an exceptionally bad lobby. Just the fact that if you still play H5 then you've been playing H5 for a damn good while.
Whitedooom wrote:
The players still playing (WZ atleast) are team players and arent potatoes anymore. One man WZ squads are a thing of the past unless you match an exceptionally bad lobby. Just the fact that if you still play H5 then you've been playing H5 for a damn good while.
Are you saying that it's still common to run into team on wz or the opposite?
I think the players that failed to dominate this Halo left the game, also obviously in 3 years the players can improve a lot, in comparison to 2016 that the game only had one or less than a years.
Whitedooom wrote:
Extremely common. I can't solo queue without running into a few teams
Back in 2016 I was on the Halo 5 grind, I would play regularly (wz & arena), usually placed onyx, sometimes got into champ and I would match all champion players for FFA placement games (the struggle was real).

I ended up selling my xbox before the summer of 2016 and haven't played it since. A few weeks ago I ended up getting an xbox out of boredom and oh boy... how times have changed.

The game is a lot less populated which is not too suprising but what did catch my eye was that I was getting 5 shot by everyone and their dogs. So here I am trying to get back into the game and diamond players which I would run circles around 3 years ago are destroying me.

I have definitely gotten worse from not playing as long as I did, but has the average H5 player gotten better? On top of that most players seem to have better situational awareness and I keep getting team shot on a regular.

Anyone have similar experiences? Did you end up being better than you were before or you never made it back to that level cause the competition caught up?
I see the opposite. I'm a consistent champ and onyx player and every time I return to halo 5 I think everyone is terrible for the rank they are placed. I notice that all the "good players" have left the game leaving high plat and diamond players to get onyx and low low champ because they are playing lower skilled players. But it is true that since all the good players and all the new player have left, that leaves the middle skilled to stay which causes the population to be consistent in there skill. I would say that you are probably just rusty cause lets be honest a lot of us don't grind the game anymore especially the ranked playlist. I hope I answered your question. When I say middle skilled I'm not saying there bad but they don't compare to the players playing back when HCS was still active.
The average Halo player has definitely improved since 2016. I've been watching gold-diamond players streams thinking, wow they have the knowledge but, they do not have the skill.
That's because they are a bunch of dirty mouse clickers on a xim apex.
Whitedooom wrote:
Whitedooom wrote:
Extremely common. I can't solo queue without running into a few teams
Seems like warzone has always been like that, when the game first came out I would have to run with a team or risk losing. No matter how good you are, you cannot out gun 12 players with vehicles and power weapons.
Shyy Panda wrote:

I see the opposite. I'm a consistent champ and onyx player and every time I return to halo 5 I think everyone is terrible for the rank they are placed. I notice that all the "good players" have left the game leaving high plat and diamond players to get onyx and low low champ because they are playing lower skilled players. But it is true that since all the good players and all the new player have left, that leaves the middle skilled to stay which causes the population to be consistent in there skill. I would say that you are probably just rusty cause lets be honest a lot of us don't grind the game anymore especially the ranked playlist. I hope I answered your question. When I say middle skilled I'm not saying there bad but they don't compare to the players playing back when HCS was still active.
Makes sense, just seemed that platinum and diamond players were better on average than I remembered.
The average Halo player has definitely improved since 2016. I've been watching gold-diamond players streams thinking, wow they have the knowledge but, they do not have the skill.
Those should go hand in hand
Teams in WZ? All, I've been seeing on any difficulty is griefers, individuals or two friends trying to level up by not playing and only move every now and then to keep from being booted for inactivity, team killer individuals going insane with betrayals while lusting to splatter ruining it for everyone else, and people getting mad at those getting good kills because they are not playing the way that griefer thinks that they should. Those are not teams, only a "team" by game design and that is it.
Teams in WZ? All, I've been seeing on any difficulty is griefers, individuals or two friends trying to level up by not playing and only move every now and then to keep from being booted for inactivity, team killer individuals going insane with betrayals while lusting to splatter ruining it for everyone else, and people getting mad at those getting good kills because they are not playing the way that griefer thinks that they should. Those are not teams, only a "team" by game design and that is it.
What is a "griefer"?
What is a "griefer"?
Purposely doing anything to ruin someone else's game experience. (Team killing, blocking, ect.)
What is a "griefer"?
(in an online game or community) a person who harasses or deliberately provokes other players or members in order to spoil their enjoyment.
Shyy Panda wrote:

Makes sense, just seemed that platinum and diamond players were better on average than I remembered.
some probably are since the
Shyy Panda wrote:

But warzone....now thats different story everytime I come back to the game it gets harder. I keep getting crushed in wz. It seems like more people have in improved in warzone and many new players have left since everyone is not grinding xp.
Shyy Panda wrote:
Shyy Panda wrote:

some probably are since the
Shyy Panda wrote:

But warzone....now thats different story everytime I come back to the game it gets harder. I keep getting crushed in wz. It seems like more people have in improved in warzone and many new players have left since everyone is not grinding xp.
Ya it seems like in solo queue it's kinda impossible to get a 30+ streak going compared to the earlier days of h5.
What is a "griefer"?
(in an online game or community) a person who harasses or deliberately provokes other players or members in order to spoil their enjoyment.
Literally one of the reasons why I ran with a team, a few s*** players like that can cost everyone the game.

There is the issue of single players being matched with full fire teams. From your description, that's the only reason I can see why it has changed, other than you being out of practice and everyone else having stuck with it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2