Sangheili (Elites) In New Trilogy Matchmaking

OP Mat Man 412

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 856
So it seems that Sangheili will indeed not be playable in Halo 4 Matchmaking due to a 'canonical matchmaking experience'. I will refrain from stating my opinion on the idea of attempting to make Matchmaking canonical, but the opportunity to have Elites playable is still not forever erased. There is no doubt that this thread has been noticed by at least a few 343 Industries employees. It is the top thread in the Halo 4 Forum, and was mentioned in one of the Q&A Updates. Unfortunately, we have lost the first battle. Elites will not be playable in Multiplayer on the original Halo 4 shipping disc. However there is still time for 343 Industries to listen to their fans.

It may be possible to include elite player models in future Downloadable Content, depending on the layout of the Halo 4 engine. If this is not possible, do not lose faith. If 343 Industries wants to be known as one of the few developers that listens to their fans, they will most certainly incorporate elites as playable characters in Halo 5 & 6. With this being the most popular thread on this forum and holding that title, it seems to be one favor that the fans are wishing to see fulfilled. I comprehend that 343 Industries wanted to make this "their Halo" and not "Bungie's Halo", and I respect that philosophy, but this does not mean that all core elements should be pushed to the wayside. This is one core element of Halo Matchmaking that should never be pushed to the wayside.

Jaime Griesemer: "I'd much rather experiment and do something surprising, and not have everybody appreciate it, than just turn the crank and do another alien war movie with a space marine"

This is a quote from Jamie Griesemer regarding the criticism that the Arbiter's missions in Halo 2 received. So 343 Industries wisely took the information from the fans about this and created the "Spartan Identity" for Halo 4. Unfortunately the Sangheili population has grown much larger since Halo 2. My identity in Halo, and many others, is an elite. It is not going to be a pleasant experience having to change my identity for Halo 4, but if we stick it out, we may be rewarded.

Below is the original post written on March 5th, 2012 containing many reasons why the Sangheili community has grown and the importance of their inclusion.

-ORIGINAL POST-

Without jumping to conclusions, I understand that Sangheili have neither been confirmed or denied for the Multiplayer of Halo 4, but I would like to present my explanation for why it is imperative Elites make a return, much more dignified than the limitations of Reach.

It is no doubt the Elite community within Halo is small, but having been involved with it for 6 and half years now, I am astounded at it's growth. As more Halo media like The Return, Halo: Cole Protocol, and Halo: Glasslands makes it's way to the gamer, the more compelled the gamer is to prefer playing as an Elite over a Spartan. Especially when the media makes reference to things found on a game level, such as Thel 'Vadam or the Revenant. Although that sounds like a very basic and broad way to explain this, after speaking with the populous of newly converted "Elite players", this is the general reason I get for this exponential growth. To make this point, I ask you to look around, and in nearly every thread you will see at least one or two users with Elite or Covenant avatars.

343i, I would like you to recognize that we are here collectively, and we deserve the respect and catered opinions just as much as the Spartan fanbase. Although extreme, I know players who actually will not buy Halo 4 if they are not available in Matchmaking, and I cannot say I blame them. What would Halo be without Covenant Weapons/Vehicles as well? Energy Swords, Needlers, and Wraiths are all iconic symbols of what makes Halo, Halo.

The limitations of playing as an Elite in Halo Reach are indeed disheartening. Going back to the Halo 3 method of playing as an elite during regular Matchmaking can be the solution. Not only does that add to the customization, but it can also be explained canonically. I understand that 343i is in the process of delivering a canonical explanation for the Red and Blue Spartans fighting each other. The relationship between Humans and Sangheili can be used to add Elites into this mix. Since the UNSC and the Sangheili are allied, having them use human weapons is anything but non-canon. Or if you would like to take the reverse side of the coin, ONI is supplying the Servants of Abiding Truth with weaponry, which is human as well. This can easily be weaved into the plot without creating a mess.

I understand the game is very far into the development stage, I do not know for sure, but judging by the newest ViDoc, I believe it isn't too late to give the Elite fanbase a voice. We're here, we shouldn't be neglected, and if we are, I can assure you that 343i will lose a great deal of supporters.

Quote:
Please Sign (Thank This Post) If You Agree.
Here, here Telcam!
Please 343, we need more info. Don't disappoint us.
You know, even though I never really play as Elites, I would hate to see them go, and Matchmaking wouldn't be the same without them.

At least make them playable in Forge and Customs. No harm in doing that.
I Concur, I believe the appearance of sangheili In halo four Multi-player will be Vital for Success, and diversity.
He's right, don't forget us, 343.
The reason why Elites might not be in H4 multiplayer would be purely gameplay related, not to do with any convenient backstory they conjure up. Elites are way too big compared to even the biggest Spartan, I think Bungie realised this and thats why we have the hunched over dinos of H3 and the massive different play style models of Elites in Reach.

Its tricky.
I lost a friend over xbox live when his interest in Halo disappeared with the ability to base his Halo experience off the Elites. He refused even to buy Halo Reach, and after finding there was no other game he really played, sold his xbox.

And while several other of my friends purchased and played Halo Reach, they overtime became more interested in other games, such as Gears of War, or Call of Duty. Elites were one of the things that bound us all to the game, I am one of few that wasn't willing to let go of Halo, in the hope that future games would correct Bungie's mistake.

I honestly think Halo Reach ALMOST had Elite player models right, but instead of making them stronger and faster, they should have simply scaled the Elite model size to about 80%. The shape and proportions are so similar to a Spartan when an Elite stands tall, as they do in Reach, that all problems would be completely rectified by simply making them smaller, in Multiplayer only of course, not bending and contorting their large bodies.

I understand 343i has figured a way to make Blue and Red Spartans fighting make some kind of sense Canonically, but depending on the outcome of the Glasslands Trilogy, there is a chance (if Elites and Humans come to a happy ending), that this same idea you have come up with would be able to include Red and Blue Elites shooting eachother, and Spartans, and helping Spartans.

Otherwise they could be considered "AI Bots" in the simulation's programming, provided that is the way you were planning on explaining it. I wouldn't hate taking on the role of an AI Elite Simulation for training purposes.

I just hope this thread makes progress in both 343i, and the Halo community's mind.

Quote:
The reason why Elites might not be in H4 multiplayer would be purely gameplay related, not to do with any convenient backstory they conjure up. Elites are way too big compared to even the biggest Spartan, I think Bungie realised this and thats why we have the hunched over dinos of H3 and the massive different play style models of Elites in Reach.

Its tricky.
I have the answer to this in the 3rd paragraph of my post. Just make them smaller, scale them down 80% or so, instead of bending them out of shape.
Quote:
You know, even though I never really play as Elites, I would hate to see them go, and Matchmaking wouldn't be the same without them.
I'm glad to see some support even from the Spartan fanbase. Thank you for your time to comment everyone.
for most agree!!!!!! I really do hope to see the sangheili and its glory with the community.
I agree. Halo wouldn't be Halo without Sangheili.
If they don't have elites in Halo 4, that would be horrible.
They stated they redid the graphics every Faction so why do that if Elites are not in it?
Think about it.
I'm sure there's going to be a MP playlist where the Spartan IVs and Elite extremists will be dukeing it out.
Question, we didn't play as elites in CE or 2 right? But the idea of having an elite is pretty much molded into Halo MM right?

Oh, and they said we'd be playing as Spartan IV's. Did they confirm that we'd be playing as Master Cheif in MM?
"Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
Donquixote Doflamingo
Quote:
I'm sure there's going to be a MP playlist where the Spartan IVs and Elite extremists will be dukeing it out.
There should not have to be a playlist, we should be able to be elites whenever we wish In any and all play-lists.
Quote:
Question, we didn't play as elites in CE or 2 right? But the idea of having an elite is pretty much molded into Halo MM right?

Oh, and they said we'd be playing as Spartan IV's. Did they confirm that we'd be playing as Master Cheif in MM?
We played as Elites since Halo 2. CE was the only game that did not feature Elite gameplay on any level. No confirmation of Chief in MM, which would make sense considering Spartan IVs are now the focus. And depending on how powerful they are, adding elites could fit in perfectly.
I don't think it makes sense to just go and bury the voice of the Sangheili in Halo games after all of this time. So many stories have been left unfinished, and it doesn't do them justice to wrap it up in the books.
I'd rather them play uniquely and be larger than the Spartans, like in Reach. Elites should be the terrifying Aliens they should be.
Agreed. 343i, please don't forget about the Sangheili.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 856