OP Mat Man 412

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 900
  4. 901
  5. ...
  6. 902
Aut0b0t117 wrote:
Crazy thought, but you know what would be great post-release DLC?

Playable. Brutes.
I'm actually all for that. The only thing I'm wondering is how they'll make the health differ from the Spartans or Sangheili. Maybe more health than even the Sangheili, but slower health regen? Something like that maybe?

P.S. I guess there's also the question on what the scale of these guys would need to be so the hitboxes aren't so different.
Aut0b0t117 wrote:

Playable. Brutes.
I'm actually all for that. The only thing I'm wondering is how they'll make the health differ from the Spartans or Sangheili. Maybe more health than even the Sangheili, but slower health regen? Something like that maybe?

P.S. I guess there's also the question on what the scale of these guys would need to be so the hitboxes aren't so different.
I think the concept of other Covenant races being playable wouldn't work in conventional ways. It works with Spartans and Sangheili because they're very similar, with very minor changes that doesn't prevent them from certain functions. Other species would be restricted and play differently. A Jiralhanae wouldn't fit in a Scorpion because the cockpit is too small. Hunters wouldn't use vehicles at all.
I'm thinking of an Invasion-type gamemode that has the Covenant use it's different species for different playstyles and roles. It's not anything new.
  • Sangheili would be the default race. They're virtually unchanged to the Spartans minus their larger profile. Within the Sangheili are some loadouts, all with abilities intended for different roles, much like Invasion. Only your abilities are locked (can't be swapped) but you can use all weaponry and vehicles;
  • Unggoy would be AI. Not to sound mean to Unggoy enthusiasts but... why would you want to play as it? Their purpose as AI is to assist other players in killing Spartans. They'd carry small and heavy weapons, but never rifles. They'd also enter friendly vehicles who stop nearby, but are unable to use most of them;
  • Kig-Yar are focused on defensive and flanking tactics. They're frail beings and fall fast to gunfire, coupled with the weakest melee attack in the game. As a trade-off, they can extreme proficiency with their weapons, often reloading them faster than most, with better target acquisition, as well as more range than other races. They can use small and rifle-class weapons, but never heavy (due to their frail body). They can pilot more vehicles, maybe even all of them, although I feel like the Banshee would be an exception;
  • Jiralhanae would trade survivability for endurance and strength. While they have no energy shields, they can endure a lot of pain without flinching but still retain good mobility. They have the seconds strongest melee in the game, being capable of killing most targets in a single punch if they're already damaged. They are unable to use most Human weaponry due to their large hands as well as some Human vehicles due to the small cockpit for their large body;
  • Yanme'e fly around the battlefield. They're frail and are limited to small arms, but their small profile can be used to flank enemies and give opportunities for other players;
  • Huragok can't attack anyone, but are instead support units. They heal others and repair their armor, including vehicles. They can deploy a shield as well, kinda like Reinhardt from Overwatch to protect them and teammates from harm. Allies cannot shoot through the shield, and it collapses quickly from concentrated gunfire, although it also recharges as fast;
  • Mgalekgolo would be tanks. They have the largest health pool and resistances out of all races. They can dish out devastating damage while serving as decoys or bodyguards. Their melee hits can kill Spartans in one strike, but are slow and predictable. They're limited in mobility and can't use any other weapon other than their cannon and melee. Their cannon would have 3 settings: Shade Cannon, Beam Cannon and Fuel Rod Cannon. They also can't use any vehicles, except passengers in Pelicans, Phantoms, etc.
Aut0b0t117 wrote:

Playable. Brutes.

I think the concept of other Covenant races being playable wouldn't work in conventional ways. It works with Spartans and Sangheili because they're very similar, with very minor changes that doesn't prevent them from certain functions. Other species would be restricted and play differently. A Jiralhanae wouldn't fit in a Scorpion because the cockpit is too small. Hunters wouldn't use vehicles at all.
I'm thinking of an Invasion-type gamemode that has the Covenant use it's different species for different playstyles and roles. It's not anything new.
  • Sangheili would be the default race. They're virtually unchanged to the Spartans minus their larger profile. Within the Sangheili are some loadouts, all with abilities intended for different roles, much like Invasion. Only your abilities are locked (can't be swapped) but you can use all weaponry and vehicles;
  • Unggoy would be AI. Not to sound mean to Unggoy enthusiasts but... why would you want to play as it? Their purpose as AI is to assist other players in killing Spartans. They'd carry small and heavy weapons, but never rifles. They'd also enter friendly vehicles who stop nearby, but are unable to use most of them;
  • Kig-Yar are focused on defensive and flanking tactics. They're frail beings and fall fast to gunfire, coupled with the weakest melee attack in the game. As a trade-off, they can extreme proficiency with their weapons, often reloading them faster than most, with better target acquisition, as well as more range than other races. They can use small and rifle-class weapons, but never heavy (due to their frail body). They can pilot more vehicles, maybe even all of them, although I feel like the Banshee would be an exception;
  • Jiralhanae would trade survivability for endurance and strength. While they have no energy shields, they can endure a lot of pain without flinching but still retain good mobility. They have the seconds strongest melee in the game, being capable of killing most targets in a single punch if they're already damaged. They are unable to use most Human weaponry due to their large hands as well as some Human vehicles due to the small cockpit for their large body;
  • Yanme'e fly around the battlefield. They're frail and are limited to small arms, but their small profile can be used to flank enemies and give opportunities for other players;
  • Huragok can't attack anyone, but are instead support units. They heal others and repair their armor, including vehicles. They can deploy a shield as well, kinda like Reinhardt from Overwatch to protect them and teammates from harm. Allies cannot shoot through the shield, and it collapses quickly from concentrated gunfire, although it also recharges as fast;
  • Mgalekgolo would be tanks. They have the largest health pool and resistances out of all races. They can dish out devastating damage while serving as decoys or bodyguards. Their melee hits can kill Spartans in one strike, but are slow and predictable. They're limited in mobility and can't use any other weapon other than their cannon and melee. Their cannon would have 3 settings: Shade Cannon, Beam Cannon and Fuel Rod Cannon. They also can't use any vehicles, except passengers in Pelicans, Phantoms, etc.
I could see this being a thing. I had a thought about this actually, but I HIGHLY doubt it would ever be a thing. If 343 wanted to go all out and have different races be playable, I can see Elites, Spartans, and even Jackals being the base playable species. If they wanted to incorporate stronger but slower, or weaker but faster species, they can use Battlefront's point system. The more you play, the more points you earn. With these points, you buy a species or perhaps a squad of AI. I'm sure people would still want to see Brutes somehow scaled down just to play as them, but it would be too weird playing as a shorter space ape.
Aut0b0t117 wrote:

Playable. Brutes.

~ snip ~
I could see this being a thing. I had a thought about this actually, but I HIGHLY doubt it would ever be a thing. If 343 wanted to go all out and have different races be playable, I can see Elites, Spartans, and even Jackals being the base playable species. If they wanted to incorporate stronger but slower, or weaker but faster species, they can use Battlefront's point system. The more you play, the more points you earn. With these points, you buy a species or perhaps a squad of AI. I'm sure people would still want to see Brutes somehow scaled down just to play as them, but it would be too weird playing as a shorter space ape.
The battle point system wouldn't be a bad idea, assuming you can't just pick a class and get loads of Crs with low effort... Now that I think about it, maybe even Warzone could use that. But that's besides the point.
I'm heavily against downsizing Brutes. We'd be playing as Earth's Gorillas who learned how to drive, not Jiralhanae.
Aut0b0t117 wrote:

Playable. Brutes.

~ snip ~
The battle point system wouldn't be a bad idea, assuming you can't just pick a class and get loads of Crs with low effort... Now that I think about it, maybe even Warzone could use that. But that's besides the point.
I'm heavily against downsizing Brutes. We'd be playing as Earth's Gorillas who learned how to drive, not Jiralhanae.
Right, I'd prefer them to be a "reinforcement" of some sort alongside Hunters.

So, let's say for example, the starting classes are Elites, Spartans and Jackals. We can establish Brutes and Hunters as reinforcement classes, Grunt squads, Drone squads, and maybe even Engineer squads as AI support. Who would be their human counterparts?
Aut0b0t117 wrote:

Playable. Brutes.

~ snip ~

So, let's say for example, the starting classes are Elites, Spartans and Jackals. We can establish Brutes and Hunters as reinforcement classes, Grunt squads, Drone squads, and maybe even Engineer squads as AI support. Who would be their human counterparts?
marines
Aut0b0t117 wrote:

Playable. Brutes.

~ snip ~

Taking a page from Battlefront 2 itself:
  • Unggoy: The AI that run around, like in Co-Op or (Capital) Supremacy. Low health pool and low weapon variety, but not something to ignore.
  • Sangheili: The general class. They'd have a variety of loadouts for different purposes or strategies, but very similar to one another regardless.
  • Kig-Yar: They're like the Infiltrator class. They'd have tools to disorient the enemy and use exclusively small and rifle-class weapons. Weak health pool too.
  • Jiralhanae: Undoubtedly the Enforcer. Bulky, good larger health pool, although it can't use everything (namely UNSC stuff, as said already).
  • Huragok: They're the Support class that Battlefront never had. I guess... can't harm anyone, protecting, healing and enforcing anyone.
  • Yanme'e: Aerials, except they're not as powerful and can fly endlessly, respecting boundaries, of course.
  • Mgalekgolo: No doubt that they're like Hero units, except they're regular Mgalekgolo troops. Tanky, a lot of damage, but a huge hitbox and slow movement, with a lot of restriction on weaponry and vehicles.
As for the Human counterparts, there really isn't as much variety. However, that doesn't mean we can't be creative. This is a lot like the Republic vs Sepies case: the Sepies have droids with different designs for different purposes, while the Republic only has Humanoid creatures who go through different training.
  • Marines: They run around the battlefield like the Unggoy. I mean, there has to be something like the Unggoy, right? And it can't be civilians...
  • Spartan-IV: The general class, like the Sangheili.
  • ODST: The infiltrators. Stronger than Jackals, but not to the level of the Spartans/Sangheili. They'd have a regular health pool, access to all weapons and vehicles. I'd use them as tactical units instead, with access to gear or equipment the Spartans don't.
  • Spartan-III: The Enforcers. Using an up-armored MJOLNIR armor that sacrifices speed and agility for resilience, durability and survivability.
  • Marine Medic: The only class which has you playing as Marines. Unlike the Huragok, they can fight back, but their healing or supporting abilities are not as efficient (and wouldn't have the mobile shield. Instead, it'd be something like the Deployable Cover).
  • ODST Jet Troopers: ODST Troopers trained for combat in the skies. While they wouldn't be able to fly endlessly or stick to walls like the Yanme'e (and have reduced mobility in the air), they could use more weapons and have a larger health pool.
The UNSC "Heroes" could actually be Heroes unlike the Mgalekgolo. However, I can't really think of anything besides glorified Spartan-IIs: units which are pretty much overpowered Spartans, although lacking the destructive power or resilience of a Hunter. Instead, they'd have extreme proficiency with weapons and vehicles, using them far more effectively than other units.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
To go on top of the Battlefront 2 idea, there'll be different years from the war.

• Insurrection
This would be the only Human VS Human mode, providing units like Marines, ODSTs, and Mark IV armored Spartans IIs. The Insurrection side would have equivalents, even tough guys in heavy armor to match the Spartans since this was before Spartan washouts.

• Human-Covenant War
This is what was mentioned above, minus Spartan IVs. Nearly the same as the main games formula.

• Great Schism
This takes place during Halo 3, on the Ark. Sangheili are now an ally unit, while you have a Jiralhanae to take its place in the Covenant side. Mostly the same as before, just cosmetic differences.

• Storms Approach
This takes place during the Requiem campaign. The Swords of Sangheilios are now represented with the classic look, while the Storm has the modern look. Sure the Swords were not there on Requiem, but they did fight against the Storm elsewhere in the galaxy. Prometheans would be a neutral enemy, fighting both sides.

• Uprising
This would be during Halo 5's campaign. It's like Storms Approach, however the enemy roles are reversed as the Storm are the neutral enemy, players are Promethean.

• Blood and Brute
This is during Halo Wars 2 in 2559. Old Human tech vs high advanced Brute tech. Plays like the HvC war, minus Jackals and Drones. Even if the Brutes outnumber you three to one, it is still an even fight.

• Parasite
This final mode, players control the Banished and Flood. Most of the Flood units are AI, but provides constant pressure to the other team.
To go on top of the Battlefront 2 idea, there'll be different years from the war.

• Insurrection
This would be the only Human VS Human mode, providing units like Marines, ODSTs, and Mark IV armored Spartans IIs. The Insurrection side would have equivalents, even tough guys in heavy armor to match the Spartans since this was before Spartan washouts.

• Human-Covenant War
This is what was mentioned above, minus Spartan IVs. Nearly the same as the main games formula.

• Great Schism
This takes place during Halo 3, on the Ark. Sangheili are now an ally unit, while you have a Jiralhanae to take its place in the Covenant side. Mostly the same as before, just cosmetic differences.

• Storms Approach
This takes place during the Requiem campaign. The Swords of Sangheilios are now represented with the classic look, while the Storm has the modern look. Sure the Swords were not there on Requiem, but they did fight against the Storm elsewhere in the galaxy. Prometheans would be a neutral enemy, fighting both sides.

• Uprising
This would be during Halo 5's campaign. It's like Storms Approach, however the enemy roles are reversed as the Storm are the neutral enemy, players are Promethean.

• Blood and Brute
This is during Halo Wars 2 in 2559. Old Human tech vs high advanced Brute tech. Plays like the HvC war, minus Jackals and Drones. Even if the Brutes outnumber you three to one, it is still an even fight.

• Parasite
This final mode, players control the Banished and Flood. Most of the Flood units are AI, but provides constant pressure to the other team.
I don't believe Jul's Covenant was ever canonically dubbed "The Storm". Also, doesn't really make sense for them to only wear modern armor and the Swords to only wear classic, as both factions are known to wear both.

• Insurrection

• Human-Covenant War

• Great Schism

• Storms Approach

• Uprising

• Blood and Brute

• Parasite
I don't believe Jul's Covenant was ever canonically dubbed "The Storm". Also, doesn't really make sense for them to only wear modern armor and the Swords to only wear classic, as both factions are known to wear both.
It was never, it's just a fan name, one I personally like to use.
It's for the sake of identification. If an ally and an enemy wear the same armor, it gets difficult to not confuse them and shoot our ally.

• Insurrection

• Human-Covenant War

• Great Schism

• Storms Approach

• Uprising

• Blood and Brute

• Parasite
It's for the sake of identification. If an ally and an enemy wear the same armor, it gets difficult to not confuse them and shoot our ally.
I would prefer new armors are designed that canonically only built within their factions.

• Insurrection

• Human-Covenant War

• Great Schism

• Storms Approach

• Uprising

• Blood and Brute

• Parasite
I would prefer new armors are designed that canonically only built within their factions.
So the Swords would have Halo 3 and earlier armors while Mdama's Storm Elites would have the Halo 4 and 5 armors?

• Insurrection

• Human-Covenant War

• Great Schism

• Storms Approach

• Uprising

• Blood and Brute

• Parasite
So the Swords would have Halo 3 and earlier armors while Mdama's Storm Elites would have the Halo 4 and 5 armors?
That's not what I said. I said new armors that we haven't seen before exclusive to each faction, like the Standard Banished Harness seen in Halo Wars 2 is to the Banished.

• Insurrection

• Human-Covenant War

• Great Schism

• Storms Approach

• Uprising

• Blood and Brute

• Parasite
That's not what I said. I said new armors that we haven't seen before exclusive to each faction, like the Standard Banished Harness seen in Halo Wars 2 is to the Banished.
Had you explained it like that, it would've been more clear. If it's like that, then cool.
I'm really loving these new ideas everyone, especially with how to incorporate other species in the game. Personally I think Brutes can, at a stretch, be 'regular' species to play as. In my view, Brutes from Halo 3 probably have the best shape and size for this to be possible without them looking out of place in vehicles, but I understand if they can't be in them. I would however be willing to sacrifice Brutes being able to fit in human cockpits for the most part if it means we can play as them, as I'm sure they would be able to fit anywhere in a Warthog, especially as the gunner, maybe in a new, bigger-interior version of a Scorpion, etc.

As for them holding human weapons, for things like the Magnum...yeah, I get why that could be problematic, but even then I would gladly sacrifice just a bit of logic for the sake of added fun. Plus, Brutes were holding M90 Shotguns in Halo 2, sure they didn't fit properly if you looked close enough, but I think that fun outweighs minor things such as that. Heck, even upscale a Magnum slightly when it gets taken by a Brute player and then downscale when dropped, it shouldn't look too noticeable.

At the end of the day, it makes the game more fun and accessible to players who are fans of other races, so I don't see any reason why not to.

If not in all matchmaking, at the very least in custom games.
I'm really loving these new ideas everyone, especially with how to incorporate other species in the game. Personally I think Brutes can, at a stretch, be 'regular' species to play as. In my view, Brutes from Halo 3 probably have the best shape and size for this to be possible without them looking out of place in vehicles, but I understand if they can't be in them. I would however be willing to sacrifice Brutes being able to fit in human cockpits for the most part if it means we can play as them, as I'm sure they would be able to fit anywhere in a Warthog, especially as the gunner, maybe in a new, bigger-interior version of a Scorpion, etc.

As for them holding human weapons, for things like the Magnum...yeah, I get why that could be problematic, but even then I would gladly sacrifice just a bit of logic for the sake of added fun. Plus, Brutes were holding M90 Shotguns in Halo 2, sure they didn't fit properly if you looked close enough, but I think that fun outweighs minor things such as that. Heck, even upscale a Magnum slightly when it gets taken by a Brute player and then downscale when dropped, it shouldn't look too noticeable.

At the end of the day, it makes the game more fun and accessible to players who are fans of other races, so I don't see any reason why not to.

If not in all matchmaking, at the very least in custom games.
Yeah, I can agree with that. I did enjoy their models in Halo 3 also, so I'd be fine with that. I'm probably alone on this, but I did prefer the way their faces looked in Halo Wars 2. They look so grotesque, they look brutish lol.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 900
  4. 901
  5. ...
  6. 902