Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Scripting in Forge - Weapon Shop

OP Operative Locus

Hello everyone, and apologies in advance should this be the wrong forum for the question at hand. I have been toying about with scripting for the last couple of weeks when I can, attempting to create a weapon crate that, upon being interacted with, will subtract your score and disappear, revealing the desired weapon. This far all works as expected with no known bugs. You interact with the button, and the box vanishes for five seconds to allow for easy pick up of your weapon, and your score is subtracted. Now here is where the issue surfaces; the score is being subtracted from, however it is not being checked. Because of the lacking of proper query before requesting the weapon, anyone can purchase any weapon regardless of their score. Say you have 10 points, and you would like to purchase the SAW crate for 100 points... Well, you can, with seemingly no concequence. As such, what I would like to know, in closing, is how to check the ACTIVATOR player's score (the simple "score: check" only appears to check the object's team score, which is an issue) so that I can prevent players from buying a weapon they cannot afford. If that is not possible, then perhaps an alternate route with equal/close effectiveness could suffice. Thank you for your time.
Have you taken a look into the NIGHT OF THE MANTIS Map? I'm sure if you tear apart that map you might find some tricks used to get the purchases to work.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I will certainly look into that soon!
Video of Night of the Mantis, with a link to the map in the description
Hey i know, there is a check score option if tommorow you want i can help you with a little bit of it!
Hey i know, there is a check score option if tommorow you want i can help you with a little bit of it!
Hey, thanks again. Score check is what I've been having issues with, it seems that it can only check the score of the team associated with the object being activated, unfortunately
Hey, thanks again. Score check is what I've been having issues with, it seems that it can only check the score of the team associated with the object being activated, unfortunately
Oh haha
So, I took a look at "Night of the Mantis", and I must say - it looks very well done and the system within it appears to be what I'm looking to create to a degree. That said, I attempting reverse engineering it and it uses variables to store player points. I've actually yet to find a decent tutorial on how variables work within the context of Halo 5's scripting (i.e. How they are changed in relation to local and global variables and whether this system is similar to common coding logic). If anyone could perhaps redirect me to a somewhat comprehensive tutorial on scripting with variables or explain such should that not exist, that would be awesome. I could always do some trial and error, though I work a great deal so time is short. Thanks again!
Glad to be of assistance!
Use scripted GRIFBALL as currency.

balls in a dispenser marked 1or 2 could give tier 1 or 2 for example.

Nav markers placed on grifball with increased value?
FORGE PLAY wrote:
Use scripted GRIFBALL as currency.

balls in a dispenser marked 1or 2 could give tier 1 or 2 for example.

Nav markers placed on grifball with increased value?
This is a really interesting concept, actually. Then what I could do is make a central "Extraction Zone", where the players must take the collected ball to in order to go through a teleporter to a neutral shop room. The ball can then be thrown at a weapon box to briefly expose it's contents before respawning, effectively hiding the weapon until a ball is thrown at it again. This would make a sort of Capture the Flag system with a fascinating reward system. I will attempt to get started on this within the next hour.
Not sure what the forum's rules on double posting are (I would assume they view it negatively) however I believe this post be worthy of it's own separate post rather than being edited into the last.

So, I began playing around with the idea a bit and I think I have it pretty much sorted out. So far you throw the Tier 1 ball at the Tier 1 crate and the ball explodes, unlocking the crate. Upon it being finished I will make a prefab so that others can play about with it and develop off of it as well. There are some minor issues with the whole system but hoping there are workarounds. Anyhow I'll keep everyone updated.

For the sake of space conservation and not tripleposting, I will likely edit any further information into this post.
Do you need some help with forging? I've spent time understanding little of how scripting works, mostly utilizing it for a "Survive the" Map.
Do you need some help with forging? I've spent time understanding little of how scripting works, mostly utilizing it for a "Survive the" Map.
Yeah, that would be cool :) fair warning, my time is rather limited so my online activity is generally restricted to the weekends and extremely early in the morning.