Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Seriously though, what's with the customization?

OP Zifker

Ok, ok, I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but the armor customization is... off, let's say. Up front, I love how 343 has updated the general aesthetic of the mjolnir armor, MOSTLY. It looks like a believable diversification and advancement of different armor classes, and the flavor text that goes with each piece is just delightful.

It wasn't smart to retcon previous designs in story flashbacks, or at least it wasn't well done enough to simply apply chief's current armor to other Spartans of the past. I'm assuming 343 was just too rushed on this one, but they ended up making their own mark iv and v variants anyway, and they look awesome, and I certainly wouldn't judge them for patching those meshes into the relevant scenes. That at least would have been better than copy pasting the mark vi armor described in the story as a custom model resulting from four years of tinkering by a lonely rampant ai (please dont get me started on nanomachines...)

Cutting down on the modularity of the armor to two models plus one pallete swap was way too extreme, and adding weapon skins does not make up for it. When I set out to customize a spartan, I want them to look like a credible presence within the established lore, which at least for me gets ruined by custom paint jobs on what are supposed to be disposable weapons. I do appreciate the widened range of armor permutations, but I dont think throttling player choice was a worthwhile price to pay for it. Especially considering how much the req card system screws any chance of unlocking most of it within a reasonable amount of playtime.

And the techsuits, the underarmor that has been shown and explained in lore to be a black titanium alloy mesh, now being locked to the primary color of the armor is ridiculous. Forget cutting corners and meeting deadlines. Cut scenes, concept art, and even early models show the traditional black suit with colored armor across several variants. Knowing that, the threadbare color customization feels arbitrary and not a little hostile to what no small portion of the fanbase has requested. I'm torn between thinking 343 has legitimate -if skewed - artistic conviction for this, and thinking that Microsoft is trying to subtly make the customization process aggravating so as to boost req pack sales.

And here we reach the crux of the issue. There's plenty of feasible explanations one might give for each and every criticised change to the Halo art style made by 343. None of them nearly as feasible as the whole process being arbitrarily limited to play into the excessive monetization of in game progress. And if the whole issue really is a matter of artistic liberty, why the rather extreme reversion to the Halo 3 mark vi design for Halo Infinite? As much as I complained here, that's just a step too far the other way, and it smacks of corporate cynicism more than anything else.

Anyway, I'm just hoping to wherever that things improve from here. I think more armor and color modularity, a more confident but graceful assertion of 343 armor style, and a step way back on the monetization and randomization would do wonders for this game and the next. In the current climate of hostility to aaa business practices, such moves might help the Halo franchise compete like it did in Bungie days, just from consumer goodwill. What do you guys think?
I don't know what you're talking about, I love having 27 "different" versions of the same armour to choose from.
I don't know what you're talking about, I love having 27 "different" versions of the same armour to choose from.
You forgot having them all be different rarities rather then unlocking paint schemes for a single set as well.... reqpacks yaaaaaaaaaaaaay
You forgot having them all be different rarities rather then unlocking paint schemes for a single set as well.... reqpacks yaaaaaaaaaaaaay
Is that what they meant? I thought that was a sly jab at the sometimes slight variation in armor classes (which would be less bothersome, even praiseworthy, without the randomized unlocks). -Yoink- the req system.
Zifker wrote:
Is that what they meant? I thought that was a sly jab at the sometimes slight variation in armor classes (which would be less bothersome, even praiseworthy, without the randomized unlocks). -Yoink- the req system.
Haha I just meant its absurd that they then make these 'variants' different rarities, like one scout helmet is somehow better then another?
I think they should add a few hundred more emblems to go with each armor set.
I just want my damn recon armor! 🤣 Freaking req packs! Arrg
Woulda been better if you could choose the piece to unlock like in reach!