Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Servers in Canada?

OP IX Cortana XI

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
MrVilliams wrote:
The issue is they need to get more servers setup, there are indeed other servers outside the u.s. But not enough to really help out with a quality experience. It also doesn't help that halo suffers from pop drops, which equates to less players having the same connections as you which results in you then connecting to players further away and lag then becomes an issue. Going p2p is a straight up downgrade and one I personally won't be happy about. People have wanted dedicated servers since H3, 343 just need to run the servers properly as other games put in more effort than 343 have shown.
The problem with H5 dedicated servers is that you have no choice as to which data centre you connect to.

This often means (due to popluation factors), most non-US players connect to US servers - To be honest, I'd favour P2P over this every time.
Guess I also forgot to add the ability to choose a server, but still, I think they could add more servers.

why would you choose p2p? You still don't get to pick who's hosting, still can match u.s. Players yes? I think going back to p2p is just asking for more issues. I couldn't stand halo 4 at its twilight since player pop was so bad I matched vs awful connections.
I wish we could get information on where the servers are because I have a - 81ms latency before I even load up halo. That's just my latency with xbox live itself, but I guess that's probably the same servers they use. Bear in mind that this is on 5 different connection from 5 different isp.
The reason for this post is that I'd like to see servers in other parts of the world for halo 6. Right now it really seems like we only have servers in the US, and that's not very fair for anyone in any other country. I pay for xbox live every month, same as you, but only my American friends see any benefit from the dedicated servers. If australia, the uk, and Canada can't get dedicated servers then I'd honestly prefer to go back to p2p because then there's a better chance of getting a solid connection if you're outside of the US.
As long as the moderators don't take issue with this post, maybe we can have a discussion about this because I'm honestly not entirely sure I have all the right information.

Does anyone here know more about this subject? I'd be interested in talking about it :3
The servers in Halo 5 have always been trash. In fact, the servers on any Halo title have been trash, as MCC used P2P as well as dedicated servers. Maybe 1 game in 10 I'll get a good game.

I wouldn't worry about your ping to the Xbox server - I'm in the UK and get 150ms when I do that test, but I think it just pings the US server.

In stark contrast, on Titanfall 2 this morning, it said my ping was 12ms to the London server. I live in the South West of England, yet I get a nice low 12ms when playing Titanfall. A game with a much lower budget than Halo. It plays really well, and I never feel cheated out of kills, as 12ms is too low for a human to notice. This is how all AAA titles should play, but many don't. It's not just Halo that's terrible, I also play COD and that's just as bad.

Any decent shooter needs regional server selection. We asked for months for it, the thread was over 200 pages. Then 343 gave us the underwhelming matchmaking options, which are pretty useless. I've played against Australians on focused! And now I can't get a game on focused or balanced, so have to play on expanded most of the time, not that I bother with Halo much these days. The fun is taken out when it plays so poorly.
Ha you think the servers in Canada are bad. Welcome to Australia M8
Graz34 wrote:
When you guys get matched up against us in the UK it's a joke. It's happened to me on several occasions.
Graz34 wrote:
When you guys get matched up against us in the UK it's a joke. It's happened to me on several occasions.
Oh I hate getting mixed up with the UK servers. I can barely move. EVERYONE is teleporting around.
81ms ping is to American servers not your closest ISP server or even Microsoft azure server. You think yours is bad with a 15ms ping to my ISP I still get a 250+ ping on Xbox speed test.
Your Xbox speedtest has nothing to do with what you get when you connect to a H5 server. Thats to an XBL server (in Seattle I believe) which is not the one you connect to during a game.
I know that is literally what I stated lol.
haha
Graz34 wrote:
Graz34 wrote:
Oh I hate getting mixed up with the UK servers. I can barely move. EVERYONE is teleporting around.
Yeah it's often the same our end. Matchmaking in Halo is useless, it shouldn't be matching up people from the other side of the world. It just 't make a good gaming experience.

I have no problem with a more skilful player beating me. But I hate it when I'm robbed, like when I hit someone directly with a rocket and get hit markers, or when I dive behind cover and die a split second afterwards. Or when I shot the crap out of someone and punch them and it ends in a trade. Annoyances like this happen all the time and could all be fixed by having a lower ping.
It is so funny reading some of these Servers threads. At least the OP said he'd like to know where they are. Because I hardly ever have issues
JC00795 wrote:
I wish we could get information on where the servers are because I have a - 81ms latency before I even load up halo. That's just my latency with xbox live itself, but I guess that's probably the same servers they use. Bear in mind that this is on 5 different connection from 5 different isp.
The reason for this post is that I'd like to see servers in other parts of the world for halo 6. Right now it really seems like we only have servers in the US, and that's not very fair for anyone in any other country. I pay for xbox live every month, same as you, but only my American friends see any benefit from the dedicated servers. If australia, the uk, and Canada can't get dedicated servers then I'd honestly prefer to go back to p2p because then there's a better chance of getting a solid connection if you're outside of the US.
As long as the moderators don't take issue with this post, maybe we can have a discussion about this because I'm honestly not entirely sure I have all the right information.

Does anyone here know more about this subject? I'd be interested in talking about it :3
AUSTralia has dedicated servers they are just crap we get on average 250/300ping and sometimes up to 459 but this Ian a Microsoft issue not a halo issue we just feel the problem while playing halo and yeah it's sucks really bad and takes the fun out of ge game but what can we do ?
With those pings you are connecting to other servers rather than those dedicated for Australia. I assume you are searching balanced or even expanded to be able to find games (due to population issues), and then you will connect to distant servers with300+ ping.
Sometimes yes but not always we also get 200+. PIngs to our local servers it's been a huge problem in australia for awhile
Op here is a link you can use to see if there is a server near you and get an idea of what kind of ping your getting for the game. Im not sure if there are any servers near you but give this a test. It will give you an idea at least. Just copy and past this in your web browser and the rest is fairly straight forward.
http://www.dexerto.com/news/2016/01/05/test-your-halo-server-ping/

I think theres a server in Canada Central and Canada East.

Post back and tell me your results.

Zippy.
Unfortunately this is not entirely correct as all of the Azure servers listed aren´t used for Halo 5. To be really sure whats going on when you play, you can either have a Netduma router which provides the stats, or you can have software on your computer to grab IP´s, and then other software which monitors traffic on your router, and paste that IP you just grabbed in the pregame lobby and monitor the connection to the server during any game. That will be facts including more then just some average ping (latency, jitter, packet loss) for all of the hops from your Xbox to the server.
The list provided there I feel is fairly accurate. That test is only for servers in the US and Canada area with one in South Brazil. So we are talking only 11 servers covering a vary large area. That's not a lot. The list there does not include EU area. You would have to check the proper box to get the full list in your area if you are in the EU or else where outside of the US or Canada area. Again this is not written in blood! lol . This is a guide to give one an idea of what type of pings one is getting to a few servers that are near them. So you have to take that with a grain of salt. And also I should add that any new servers that have been added after the release of Halo5 likely wont have the game installed on them. If one would want to buy the Netduma Router that would be up to them if they really wanted to get down to the nuts and bolts of everything related to servers. But at this stage of Halo5 I wouldn't waste my money. If your a hard core gamer then I would say buy one. I would not purchase one just for Halo5.

Zippy.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2