Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Should halo need a new engine?

OP UrCasualGamer

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
We all know that some of the problems that halo 5 has are do to engine limitations. So let's just look at the things that the engine limits:
Split-screen, armor customization (apparently), and areas of the frame rate and resolution like the farther the object the lower the fps and dynamic resolution (wich I don't mind).
So with all this in mind do you think that in a perfect world they will make a perfectly functional NEW engine for future halo games?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
kobura57 wrote:
Please refrain using the words cancer and 343 in the same sentence. They may be a lot of things but they aren't "cancer".
Also let's keep everything on topic please!
As the first productive post, I say yes, they do need a new engine. Split screen is a must for Halo 6, and I'm not a fan of frame rate drops.
tbh, I wouldn't mind waiting a few more years for Halo 6, if they created a new engine and took care of all the things I want (e.g. elites in multiplayer, armor customization, arbiter back to the old model etc.) and released a couple games inbetween (Halo Wars 2, Halo 3A and maybe a "Halo 3: ODST" for Halo 5)
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
Spoiler:
Show
kobura57 wrote:
Seriously? 343 isn't a disease to Halo, and it is far stronger as a franchise compared to COD right now. I don't know this for sure, but I thought Microsoft was behind micro transactions.
343 made a good campaign for Halo 4, and 343 made a good multiplayer for Halo 5. Now all they need to do is combine that.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
Spoiler:
Show
kobura57 wrote:
Seriously? 343 isn't a disease to Halo, and it is far stronger as a franchise compared to COD right now. I don't know this for sure, but I thought Microsoft was behind micro transactions.
343 made a good campaign for Halo 4, and 343 made a good multiplayer for Halo 5. Now all they need to do is combine that.
Maybe you should check the Most played list. CoD has 3 in the top 10. Sure Infinity Warfare is at 4, BF1 is at 1, but Halo is at 22. Yeah CoD is going downhill, but Halo is not stronger. This is just one platform. If ppl want to play CoD, they will revert to a previous title.
Now, for one to be comparing 343I to diseases and putting more time into their games than I have, is pretty funny.
I don't think the current engine limits armor customization. It was probably just a design choice made by 343 for their new REQ system. Other limitations stem from the hardware and not necessarily the engine itself. The Xbox One is not a very powerful machine by modern standards. It also depends on what you define as a "new engine". If you mean that they would construct a brand new engine from the ground up, that's wishful thinking. We're likely going to see an "improved" version of the Halo 5 engine for Halo 6. I'm at least looking forward to seeing how Halo 6 looks on the Scorpio.
kobura57 wrote:
Please keep things on topic!
kobura57 wrote:
Maybe you should check the Most played list. CoD has 3 in the top 10. Sure Infinity Warfare is at 4, BF1 is at 1, but Halo is at 22. Yeah CoD is going downhill, but Halo is not stronger. This is just one platform. If ppl want to play CoD, they will revert to a previous title.
Now, for one to be comparing 343I to diseases and putting more time into their games than I have, is pretty funny.
Please keep things on topic!
From what I understand each new Halo game uses a modified version of the previous game's engine. If this is true, then building a new engine would be unnecessary because of all of progress made with said engine from Halo CE to Halo 5. Creating an entirely new engine from scratch would set back 343's progress significantly.
The engine itself was supposedly new, but I've been told that's false, and it's just a super upgrade to 4's.

I would give them time to work on this one and see where that goes.
I feel that halo does need a new engine. If I'm not mistaken the engine 343 uses is a HEAVILY modified version of the quake engine and what they use really doesn't take advantage of the power that the Xbox one possesses.
sniper945 wrote:
The engine itself was supposedly new, but I've been told that's false, and it's just a super upgrade to 4's.

They never said it was new. It was said all along that the engine teared down to be heavily modified.
I feel that halo does need a new engine. If I'm not mistaken the engine 343 uses is a HEAVILY modified version of the quake engine and what they use really doesn't take advantage of the power that the Xbox one possesses.
Halo has never used the Quake engine, where did you get that info from?
You're thinking about call of duty. 343 use the same engine that bungie used since the beginning but was heavily modified.
Rhydon65 wrote:
From what I understand each new Halo game uses a modified version of the previous game's engine. If this is true, then building a new engine would be unnecessary because of all of progress made with said engine from Halo CE to Halo 5. Creating an entirely new engine from scratch would set back 343's progress significantly.
But then you get the CoD problem where they are limited by their ancient engine (quake 3 engine I think). Not saying that call of duty games look bad (exception of BO3) because a game like Infinite Warfare looks SOOOOO good.
sniper945 wrote:

They never said it was new. It was said all along that the engine teared down to be heavily modified.
343 said before launch that Halo 5 would run on a new engine, but I think Grim later revealed in a tweet that it was just an extensively modified version of Halo 4's iteration of the engine.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3