Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Should I return to ranked?

OP The END7563

A few months ago I made an effort to get back into Halo 5 after an extended absense. I was making pretty good progress in returning to my previous level of play for the most part with one exception. Now before you read this do know that I'm not trying to be that one "I deserve a better rank" guy. With that out of the way something that I noticed when I was trying to rank up in Team slayer (solo queue) was that whenever I would get to Plat. 6 it would match my team against high diamond and low onyx players almost exclusively. I ultimately gave up after a while, but am now once again considering returning.

I always figured that this was was the result of the lowered population (not enough people to match platinums with other platinums, resulting in the questionable matches). I understand getting matched with low diamonds in order to sort of prove yourself in order to rank up but getting nothing but high diamond and low onyx players makes ranking up more of a pain than it needs to be. I eventually realized that this issue would make my attempt to get back into the game extremely difficult as a result of an inconsistent matchmaking system that doesn't allow for gradual improvement.

I have been reading the matchmaking posts that have been made by someone at 343 and realize that they have been working to fix certain issues. With that in mind have they fixed the issue I described or should I simply not bother.
I still have that issue from time to time. My friends and all (high gold to high plat) will occasionally get matched against a team of Onyx and Champions. We regularly get matched against full teams of diamonds though, which is frustrating. I can only assume that there are not a lot of teams that are gold and plat.
I would suggest posting your question here: Matchmaking Feedback 9/25. Maybe a little later on today. Josh Menke always posts new ones on Monday. He will be able to give you a definitive answer.

I have experienced similar things with Team Arena, but I keep plugging along anyway. I search Focused, and over time the matchmaking has become much more balanced in my opinion.

You can even post questionable games you might have to that thread, or similar threads after it, and Dr. Menke will look into them for you.

Good luck. I say jump in there again, and don't worry so much about what your rank is and you will enjoy the game a lot more.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
I would suggest posting your question here: Matchmaking Feedback 9/25. Maybe a little later on today. Josh Menke always posts new ones on Monday. He will be able to give you a definitive answer.

I have experienced similar things with Team Arena, but I keep plugging along anyway. I search Focused, and over time the matchmaking has become much more balanced in my opinion.

You can even post questionable games you might have to that thread, or similar threads after it, and Dr. Menke will look into them for you.

Good luck. I say jump in there again, and don't worry so much about what your rank is and you will enjoy the game a lot more.
I agree 100% with Dax. I stopped worrying about rank and played to enjoy the game. Once I started to enjoy it more my skill level increased because I wasn't focused on skill.
I only play ranked and it feels small and still unbalanced
Surprisingly, I find ranked to be less hardcore than the "casual" playlists.
Depends on what your goals are. If you want competitive matches, then ranked is good for that, but I wouldn't bother if you're trying to rank up playing solo.
I get what you're saying, but the matchmaking is having a hard time balancing if per say a fireteam consists of mixed CSR. Think about it, if a team consist of a champion player and one bronze it's hard for the matchmaking system to stabilize the search and probably make the team face gold/plat players. But it's frustrating sure, it makes games peak from easy to hard, there's no middle ground. It makes it hard to adapt to the new skill curve, when once you play against people with zero knowledge of map control, and next you face people with solid communication. My best advice is to try and find teammates to group up with, it reduces the chance of undermanned games and improves your team moral; winning hard games is the best. Also try to learn call outs, it helps a lot.

I feel that, when you try too hard to win you usually lose. You should go in with the intention that we´ll see how it goes, try your best and if it ain't enough, look back on your gameplay. What can you improve? There's a lot: map orientation, aiming, map control, power weapon control, timing power ups, staying a live, playing passive/aggressive, strategies to develop, new pathways to discover - and so on.
I completely agree with your view. I was high gold in slayer once and I played Champs. It makes it such a cake walk for the high level players especially once player drop out the game. I hope to see a fix, but I can get how that's hard to work out in the small technicalities of the game. I guess a solution could be to bomb your ranking matches on purpose and then shred those bronze level players lol
The answer lies in the heart of battle!

But seriously only do it when you can accept getting your ranked butchered and not get too bummed about it...im not there yet.
Keep going!
Who the hell cares just play it god damn it
Yes, return to ranked, warm up in social.
I played halo today again after 2 weeks. Usually i play it a day and stop playing it for some time. The servers just feel so laggy for me that its not fun. I feel like im on 100+ms delay. Wish they added a latency bar or something because it feels like im on a yellow bar.
Give it a try man you'll never know
"SHOULD I RETURN TO RANKED?"

You shouldn't have left it in the first place.
I've been in exactly the same position high plat never getting into diamond because every time I thought I might I would either go against a better team ( fair enough ) a team with a smurf that destroys or like you say you go up against a team far beyond the skill level your at. I solo que too and get this sometimes but I use it to my benefit. Its experience a way of learning to play at a higher level . I used to get annoyed and disheartened but now I say to myself the result is irrelevant and I concentrate on getting most kills and least deaths whilst trying to control power weapons , power ups and map control and if team mates get destroyed and I lose then so be it but I know I've done what I can to help the team . I used to run in to try saving team mates even if I knew they were in a weak position but that always ended in getting me killed and us losing a lot faster . So I try to save them but if I don't so be it I make sure I position my self to flank the opposition as they kill team mates or I come in after and take them by surprise and clean them up. You can't win the game on your own you have to let team mates get on with it . But if for example you get the sniper instead of pushing with the team and start popping heads or hitting body's making one shots for team mates to clean up I think that's more valuable to the team overall. This change in mentality has really helped and I now get to low to mid diamond even after playing higher skilled people and teams . Obviously my skill level as an individual has got a bit better as well but that's coz I stuck with it , perseverance is really the key here !!!!!!! Going solo is hard tho I just hope if I keep going I might get good enough to be the one doing the destroying not the one being pooped on !!!! Good luck
One thing to remember is that if you face off against a truly better team (i.e. their TOTAL MMR is much higher than your team's TOTAL MMR), you really won't lose much CSR. On the other hand if you manage to beat them, you'll gain a TON of CSR.

So if you want to rank up, it's actually BEST to match a bunch of teams at or above your skill, cause if you manage to beat them you'll gain a lot of CSR. Try to learn how to be more useful to your team in those games when you're personally over-matched. Work harder to help your high-ranked teammates get the power weapons and control the map, so they can shine. You'll definitely need to be playing support/distraction/baiting roles for those elite players in those games.