Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Should sprint really be included in HCS halo 5?

OP TryHardFan

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
Hey guys,

I honestly think that it is only going to be a matter of time before sprint is going to be forced out of competitive after the first few matches we see of competitive gameplay. This mechanic really offers nothing skillful, and with the reduced sprint speed, I'm not sure if sprint is even worth pursuing. Its function gives off a very defensive playstyle and I don't know why we should lower our weapons to sprint when we could increase base movement speed and create more engagements without it. Do you think sprint will last in competitive?

Edit: this thread is really about whether 343 should actually keep sprint on for the HCS championships and the HCS playlist itself. If you like sprint in regular multiplayer arena, fine, but I am discussing sprint in terms of whether it should be removed for HCS arena, not plain arena.
Man people really do find just about anything to complain about these days.
The game is designed around sprint. It is going to stay at least for this game. As for why the gun is lowered, you are putting in a trade off. I personally feel increase base movement speed makes a game less competitive because you are able to escape faster. When sprinting, you get a burst of speed, but are un able to do anything else, making it much easier to chase you down, but also giving you a good way to traverse a map or flank an enemy. Sprint definitely removes nothing from competitive play, as you can choose to never sprint in a game, and increase movement speed almost certainly does as it makes aiming at moving targets unnecessarily and unrealistically difficult, while also giving the enemy a variety of unfair ways to easily trip you up while they attempt to escape.
Cryogeni wrote:
Complaining is justified as long as people are constructive about what they post. Don't expect everyone to be 343 apologists after the mess they pulled off in halo 4 and mcc.
TryHardFan wrote:
Hey guys,

I honestly think that it is only going to be a matter of time before sprint is going to be forced out of competitive after the first few matches we see of competitive gameplay. This mechanic really offers nothing skillful, and with the reduced sprint speed, I'm not sure if sprint is even worth pursuing. Its function gives off a very defensive playstyle and I don't know why we should lower our weapons to sprint when we could increase base movement speed and create more engagements without it. Do you think sprint will last in competitive?
If you don't know how to use sprint offensively you don't belong in competitive halo.
Cryogeni wrote:
You seem to imply that Sprint isn't the massively huge departure from classic gameplay that it is.
This isn't a small thing, bro.
It's also one of the biggest and most popular complaints ever to grace the forums.

OP, sadly it's in Arena, which is the biggest disappointment for me since announced.
This game would've been twice the game it is if Sprint wasn't in Arena.
Sprint is a key component to Halo 5's core. Sprint + Melee = Spartan charge. You'd take out one ability and take another one down with it. And thus the core of the game begins to crumble.
Sprint changes the game. It has a harsh trade off of your shields not recharging on top of your guns being lowered down. However if the fight is all the way on the other side of the map, big or small, its crucial to get there as fast as possible. Sprint has to be used at critical times to be effective. Otherwise you don't even have to use it at all. Point is, it should be included for effective teamwork.
Oh god. When will it end?!
The game is designed around sprint. It is going to stay at least for this game. As for why the gun is lowered, you are putting in a trade off. I personally feel increase base movement speed makes a game less competitive because you are able to escape faster. When sprinting, you get a burst of speed, but are un able to do anything else, making it much easier to chase you down, but also giving you a good way to traverse a map or flank an enemy. Sprint definitely removes nothing from competitive play, as you can choose to never sprint in a game, and increase movement speed almost certainly does as it makes aiming at moving targets unnecessarily and unrealistically difficult, while also giving the enemy a variety of unfair ways to easily trip you up while they attempt to escape.
As for the argument of you choosing not to use sprint, it is kinda contradictory when you state that the game is designed around sprint, meaning that the maps can make it much harder for you to do well due to the lack of proper map traversal without sprint, since map area is very much inflated to compensate for said mechanic. You could still potentially flank enemies in classic halo games due to the lack of radar, which sprint doesn't really add to. The trade off of using sprint should never be there in the first place, as proper map design would allow players to easily traverse around the map without using sprint and still be able to pull off other additional mechanics at their disposal. Lastly, if movement speed is increased to replace sprint, I think 343 will be mindful of that issue you discussed and try to balance it for competitive play.
TryHardFan wrote:
Hey guys,

If you don't know how to use sprint offensively you don't belong in competitive halo.
The problem is that the defensive uses of sprint greatly outmatch the amount of offensive uses for sprint. What exactly could sprint do offensively that regular movement speeds in classic games couldn't already do?
Considering it has pro players backing it...
Sprint changes the game. It has a harsh trade off of your shields not recharging on top of your guns being lowered down. However if the fight is all the way on the other side of the map, big or small, its crucial to get there as fast as possible. Sprint has to be used at critical times to be effective. Otherwise you don't even have to use it at all. Point is, it should be included for effective teamwork.
I think that sprint never needed to be included to increase effective teamwork. The amount of elements that were already presented in classic halo such as power weapons, map control, proper objective pushes and teamshotting made plenty of opportunities for proper teamwork. Again, the amount of time you would likely need to assist your teammate after spawning was roughly the same for each game in halo.
Sprint being used defensively isn't really a problem now because of how sprint is tied to your shields.

If you watch videos of incompetent journalists playing Arena, they get wrecked because they constantly sprint around and never let their shields recharge.
We had enough sprint threads.
TryHardFan wrote:
Hey guys,

You are simply wrong then.

Sprint will be in competitive H5 as well as casual. This is how Halo works now, for better or worse.
Sprint is a key component to Halo 5's core. Sprint + Melee = Spartan charge. You'd take out one ability and take another one down with it. And thus the core of the game begins to crumble.
Unless I see post beta changes for spartan charge, I don't know if removing spartan charge due to the removal of sprint would be detrimental.
Do not flame/attack others.

Spoiler:
Show
TryHardFan wrote:
Hey guys,

Sprint will be in competitive H5 as well as casual. This is how Halo works now, for better or worse.
The situation happened before in reach, the first halo game to actually implement sprint, even as a regular perk. This is kind of speculation, but there is a possibility for the same to happen to halo 5, even if halo 4 didn't do the same.
TryHardFan wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:
Hey guys,

The situation happened before in reach, the first halo game to actually implement sprint, even as a regular perk. This is kind of speculation, but there is a possibility for the same to happen to halo 5, even if halo 4 didn't do the same.
The possibility is negligible at best. The way maps and SAs are designed now makes it so that sprint is pretty much guaranteed not to be going anywhere. You'd have to have an absurd boost to base speed which would make other aspects of the game downright stupid.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15