Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Skill > AR/Pistol

OP A2AxPhoenix

As I type this out, there is a post that has been made popular by claiming that Pistols and Assault Rifles are overpowered. Well, I'm here to tell you that the Pistol and Assault Rifle are balanced in the Halo 5 Sandbox compared to other weapons such as a BR, DMR, Carbine, ect. We all agree there are some fights where you really question how you lost that fight and you think or yell out "How the hell did I not kill that guy?" Well it is actually quite simple: You weren't as accurate as your opponent. When I look back at my games in Theater mode (God Bless 343 for bringing it back.), I look at two things: Engagement time and Accuracy. These factors are generally the main factors that decide your TTK or Time to Kill.

Here's an example of Engagement Time: Your opponent gets the drop on you and gets off their first shot on you. Now that means they are already batting 100% (or close to it) in regards to accuracy while you are at 0% because you didn't get a chance to fire back yet. Now, Engagement Time can be prolonged by proper uses of Thruster pack and Clamber to regain shields but most of the time you will have to fight with the disadvantage, but sometimes you will win that fight because you were more accurate than your opponent. These occasions are unfortunate when you get shot in the back and you may have to realize that you'll take a hit to you K/D but it isn't the end of the world and that doesn't mean the Pistol or AR are OP, it just means your opponent got the drop on you.

Here's an example of accuracy: Your and your opponent are fighting with your magnums out and you both shoot 4 shots that all land but you were the one who died...how? I can't tel you how many times that I have been dealt the short end of the stick when fighting with weapons like BR, Magnums, DMR, or even AR, but I never blame the weapon because no matter what you both are doing the same amount of damage to each other. The reason you lost the fight was due to accuracy. You and your opponent both shot 5 shots but your opponent landed 3 head and 1 body shots while you landed 3 body shots and 1 Head shot. Your opponent is hurt badly, but you were dealt the death because he landed better precision shots on you. Remember, Halo is about aiming for the head in multiplayer so don't just shoot for the body. Now, what does this mean for ARs because you can't get precision shots with an AR; ARs have 36 shots, now going to the example: You and your opponent both have ARs with fresh magazines (36 Rounds each) he shot his full clip into you and you to him, but you died, how did that happen? Well, once again its about accuracy: Your opponent had an accuracy of 75% of shots finding their target while you had a 45% accuracy. That's why you didn't win the fight, because you were spraying while your opponent wasn't.

The big picture here is that no weapon is overpowered because everyone has the same weapons that work the same way for everyone. Whenever you die, I recommend thinking about the two factors that affect the outcomes of fights and re-watching games you played where you thought you should've won a fire fight. Also, take a look at your Accuracy in Multiplayer in your Service Record.Typically, a good accuracy is about 50% because at least half of your shots found their target. Anyways, I hope this helped and shed some light on ARs and Pistols.
You sir, Are the Profit of Truth.
As I type this out, there is a post that has been made popular by claiming that Pistols and Assault Rifles are overpowered. Well, I'm here to tell you that the Pistol and Assault Rifle are balanced in the Halo 5 Sandbox compared to other weapons such as a BR, DMR, Carbine, ect. We all agree there are some fights where you really question how you lost that fight and you think or yell out "How the hell did I not kill that guy?" Well it is actually quite simple: You weren't as accurate as your opponent. When I look back at my games in Theater mode (God Bless 343 for bringing it back.), I look at two things: Engagement time and Accuracy. These factors are generally the main factors that decide your TTK or Time to Kill.

Here's an example of Engagement Time: Your opponent gets the drop on you and gets off their first shot on you. Now that means they are already batting 100% (or close to it) in regards to accuracy while you are at 0% because you didn't get a chance to fire back yet. Now, Engagement Time can be prolonged by proper uses of Thruster pack and Clamber to regain shields but most of the time you will have to fight with the disadvantage, but sometimes you will win that fight because you were more accurate than your opponent. These occasions are unfortunate when you get shot in the back and you may have to realize that you'll take a hit to you K/D but it isn't the end of the world and that doesn't mean the Pistol or AR are OP, it just means your opponent got the drop on you.

Here's an example of accuracy: Your and your opponent are fighting with your magnums out and you both shoot 4 shots that all land but you were the one who died...how? I can't tel you how many times that I have been dealt the short end of the stick when fighting with weapons like BR, Magnums, DMR, or even AR, but I never blame the weapon because no matter what you both are doing the same amount of damage to each other. The reason you lost the fight was due to accuracy. You and your opponent both shot 5 shots but your opponent landed 3 head and 1 body shots while you landed 3 body shots and 1 Head shot. Your opponent is hurt badly, but you were dealt the death because he landed better precision shots on you. Remember, Halo is about aiming for the head in multiplayer so don't just shoot for the body. Now, what does this mean for ARs because you can't get precision shots with an AR; ARs have 36 shots, now going to the example: You and your opponent both have ARs with fresh magazines (36 Rounds each) he shot his full clip into you and you to him, but you died, how did that happen? Well, once again its about accuracy: Your opponent had an accuracy of 75% of shots finding their target while you had a 45% accuracy. That's why you didn't win the fight, because you were spraying while your opponent wasn't.

The big picture here is that no weapon is overpowered because everyone has the same weapons that work the same way for everyone. Whenever you die, I recommend thinking about the two factors that affect the outcomes of fights and re-watching games you played where you thought you should've won a fire fight. Also, take a look at your Accuracy in Multiplayer in your Service Record.Typically, a good accuracy is about 50% because at least half of your shots found their target. Anyways, I hope this helped and shed some light on ARs and Pistols.
Great post! being saying this since release ^.^
Thanks guys.
You know headshots and body shots do the same damage when the shield is up, right?

So there would be no difference between 3 headshots/1 bodyshot and 1 headshot/3 body shots...?

... and that the pistol kills in minimum 5 shots? (4 to break shield+1 headshot)
You sir, Are the Profit of Truth.
Prophet?
gethtones wrote:
You know headshots and body shots do the same damage when the shield is up, right?

So there would be no difference between 3 headshots/1 bodyshot and 1 headshot/3 body shots...?

... and that the pistol kills in minimum 5 shots? (4 to break shield+1 headshot)
Body does less damage over time versus precision damage. Try it out. Go to customs and have an idle controller and check it out to make sure.
wall of text
Thanks for posting this. Its so true! +1
gethtones wrote:

Body does less damage over time versus precision damage. Try it out. Go to customs and have an idle controller and check it out to make sure.
Every gun except the sniper & beam rifle do the same damage to any part of the body until AFTER the shield breaks.

Shield breaks after 4 shots with pistol whether you shoot them in the foot or the head.

Same with the BR and every other gun. It's all the same until the shield pops, that's how halo has always been.

Only exceptions are the sniper & beam rifle.
Seems like all duels I have always end up being who lands the better grenade to start it off
I mean, I agree with the big picture of your thread.

I'm just saying with the pistol, 3 bodyshots/1 headshot and 1 bodyshot/3 headshots makes no difference because the shield busts after 4 shots no matter where you hit them. That 5th shot is the one that needs to be to the head.
gethtones wrote:
I mean, I agree with the big picture of your thread.

I'm just saying with the pistol, 3 bodyshots/1 headshot and 1 bodyshot/3 headshots makes no difference because the shield busts after 4 shots no matter where you hit them. That 5th shot needs to he to the head.
That was my point :) That the 5th shot matters most.
Ok right on mang :)
gethtones wrote:
Ok right on mang :)
Thanks for making sure I clarified it.
*Starts slow clap*
KDeduster wrote:
*Starts slow clap*
Thank you.
wall of text
I actually put a big picture predicting you would show up...it's at the very bottom.
KDeduster wrote:
*Starts slow clap*
*Slow, sarcastic slap*

Just kidding, nice post OP.
dash away from engagements, round a corner and jump and charge your ground pound...when they come around that corner, hammer drop!