Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] smg stronger than assault rifle?/updog in h5?

OP Genesis1l1

I was always thinking we would start with a pistol and smg. And the assault rifle would be slightly stronger than the smg, but you would have to pick it up off the map.
It seams back words to me, a small smg is better than the assault rifle. It felt awesome in halo 2 anniversary when you picked up the assault rifle, and now I almost never use it in 5, i go for the smg. Well my preferred weapons are precision weopons.
my cousin only used the assault rifle, until I said the smg feels slightly better. Now he agrees and now it's his go to weapon. You can't blame him he came from cod.

Does anyone else feel that the smg is slightly better than the assault rifle?
It might just be in my head. I never have been able to test it.

And how do you guy's feel now that 343i brought updog into a halo game, should it be removed, nerfed, or are you OK with it? In my opinion it's to OP.
Taking scope and bloom into consideration the SMG is better at short range, while the AR is better at medium-ish range.

However, sprint and the stretched map design that goes hand-in-hand with it makes medium range battles relatively uncommon. At least, compared to older Halo titles.

So, yeah, in most cases you'll be better off with an Battle Rifle/DMR and SMG as opposed to a Battle Rifle/DMR and Assault Rifle.
Taking scope and bloom into consideration the SMG is better at short range, while the AR is better at medium-ish range.

However, sprint and the stretched map design that goes hand-in-hand with it makes medium range battles relatively uncommon. At least, compared to older Halo titles.

So, yeah, in most cases you'll be better off with an Battle Rifle/DMR and SMG as opposed to a Battle Rifle/DMR and Assault Rifle.
Oh that makes sense. So people could kind of challenge the BR at mid range with the AR.
Of course most of the time a br user at mid range will kick an AR users Yoink. But the AR is easier to use.
Thanks for the info!
SMG and BR is my go-to loadout in Warzone. Anything out of range for my SMG my BR will take care of. The SMG will also burn through marines, spartans, covenant, forerunners and even most white triangle bosses.
SMG does kick -Yoink- at CQC.
Genesis1l1 wrote:
I was always thinking we would start with a pistol and smg. And the assault rifle would be slightly stronger than the smg, but you would have to pick it up off the map.
It seams back words to me, a small smg is better than the assault rifle. It felt awesome in halo 2 anniversary when you picked up the assault rifle, and now I almost never use it in 5, i go for the smg. Well my preferred weapons are precision weopons.
my cousin only used the assault rifle, until I said the smg feels slightly better. Now he agrees and now it's his go to weapon. You can't blame him he came from cod.

Does anyone else feel that the smg is slightly better than the assault rifle?
It might just be in my head. I never have been able to test it.

And how do you guy's feel now that 343i brought updog into a halo game, should it be removed, nerfed, or are you OK with it? In my opinion it's to OP.
The SMG is good in Close Quarters Combat, while the Assault Rifle is good in Close to Mid-Ranged Combat. Try using a SMG against the AR at Mid Range and you'll get stomped.
In raw bullet to bullet damage it does FEEL like the SMG is better. In campaign anyways it seems to shred shields better.

This saddens me.
SMG and BR is my go-to loadout in Warzone. Anything out of range for my SMG my BR will take care of. The SMG will also burn through marines, spartans, covenant, forerunners and even most white triangle bosses.
Why would you bring back a beta topic?