1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Creating an alternate gamertag isn't free. You have to go through and setup a brand new email, gamertag, Xbox Live subscription, and all that jazz in order to do so.
You can create a new gamertag for free using the family account option which is how people are constantly able to make new smurfs. For the ranks, it actually wouldn't be bad if they didn't get reset, but they do which means people have to grind every season to get their rank back. It's not a couple games, but it's a daily occurrence with running into smurfs and that can lead to people getting frustrated.
People are going to get frustrated regardless. Running into a smurf account trying to rank up is going to be no different than running into a seasoned veteran. The game is still going to be difficult. My point is that smurfs don't change the way the game is played. They're just people who are trying to troll others and/or need a confidence boost by playing against lower skilled players.
You contradict your own argument. Yes they do change the way the game is played.

A game full of golds or platinums is likely to be close and competitive.

Throw in a de-ranked onyx that goes 30-5 and suddenly said match is no longer competitive. Giving it's teammates potentially false wins and the opponents potentially false losses.
Great players and teams will always rise to the top regardless if Smurf's and de-ranked accounts are involved. Losing by 20+ points to a professional HCS player is no different than losing to Smurf account with 0 gamerscore and 10 games on the service record. Smurf's/Alternate accounts do not directly affect gameplay. It's not worth getting upset about especially when there is literally nothing you can do. Getting angry about it does nothing but gratify the trolls behind the accounts.
You're conflating two things here.

Someone who's smurfing and purposely deranking is immensely harmful to the matchmaking ecosystem.

Pistola playing on QuietFawn92385257 (everything here is made up, please don't add that account thinking it's his secondary) and playing the same way he plays as Pistola is fine and doesn't affect anything.

Playing on a second account just to play on a second account is fine. Playing on a second account to cheat the system and pretend you aren't an HCS pro is bad.
I have a question, but I don't know if you're able to answer it:

Say that my brother isn't very good at Halo and he creates a profile on my Xbox. I'm Onyx level, and he's never played matchmaking before. If he plays like a Bronze, do I get punished for that? I guess I'm just wondering if different players playing on the same console can be perceived as smurfing by the system.

Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but I am just not really sure how the system handles stuff like that.
omarlotrc wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Creating an alternate gamertag isn't free. You have to go through and setup a brand new email, gamertag, Xbox Live subscription, and all that jazz in order to do so.
You can create a new gamertag for free using the family account option which is how people are constantly able to make new smurfs. For the ranks, it actually wouldn't be bad if they didn't get reset, but they do which means people have to grind every season to get their rank back. It's not a couple games, but it's a daily occurrence with running into smurfs and that can lead to people getting frustrated.
People are going to get frustrated regardless. Running into a smurf account trying to rank up is going to be no different than running into a seasoned veteran. The game is still going to be difficult. My point is that smurfs don't change the way the game is played. They're just people who are trying to troll others and/or need a confidence boost by playing against lower skilled players.
You contradict your own argument. Yes they do change the way the game is played.

Throw in a de-ranked onyx that goes 30-5 and suddenly said match is no longer competitive. Giving it's teammates potentially false wins and the opponents potentially false losses.
Great players and teams will always rise to the top regardless if Smurf's and de-ranked accounts are involved. Losing by 20+ points to a professional HCS player is no different than losing to Smurf account with 0 gamerscore and 10 games on the service record. Smurf's/Alternate accounts do not directly affect gameplay. It's not worth getting upset about especially when there is literally nothing you can do. Getting angry about it does nothing but gratify the trolls behind the accounts.

Someone who's smurfing and purposely deranking is immensely harmful to the matchmaking ecosystem.

Pistola playing on QuietFawn92385257 (everything here is made up, please don't add that account thinking it's his secondary) and playing the same way he plays as Pistola is fine and doesn't affect anything.

Playing on a second account just to play on a second account is fine. Playing on a second account to cheat the system and pretend you aren't an HCS pro is bad.

Say that my brother isn't very good at Halo and he creates a profile on my Xbox. I'm Onyx level, and he's never played matchmaking before. If he plays like a Bronze, do I get punished for that? I guess I'm just wondering if different players playing on the same console can be perceived as smurfing by the system.

Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but I am just not really sure how the system handles stuff like that.
If it's that drastic, one would think, right? Otherwise all smurfer's would say "no, no it's my baby brother who is a newborn."
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:

If it's that drastic, one would think, right? Otherwise all smurfer's would say "no, no it's my baby brother who is a newborn."
I just really hope that people who smurf don't ruin things for people who just share their Xbox with other players.
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:

I just really hope that people who smurf don't ruin things for people who just share their Xbox with other players.
Isn't Halo 5 playable with a silver gamertag? Just create a new one for free and have him play off that?
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:

Isn't Halo 5 playable with a silver gamertag? Just create a new one for free and have him play off that?
He has a completely different profile. That's why I'm asking if him playing on his profile will make the system think that I'm the one who's playing poorly.
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:

He has a completely different profile. That's why I'm asking if him playing on his profile will make the system think that I'm the one who's playing poorly.
If you're not playing on his profile then you won't have a problem. It is two accounts.
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:

If you're not playing on his profile then you won't have a problem. It is two accounts.
But how does the system detect that? How does it know whether I'm playing poorly or whether my brother is playing as best as he can?
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:

But how does the system detect that? How does it know whether I'm playing poorly or whether my brother is playing as best as he can?
It’s a different gamertag.
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:

Still potentially an issue. The system could think he created a 2nd account to de-rank.

While this scenario may happen on a rare occasion, I generally think anyone using this excuse is not being truthful.
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:

Still potentially an issue. The system could think he created a 2nd account to de-rank.

While this scenario may happen on a rare occasion, I generally think anyone using this excuse is not being truthful.
It's not going to happen for a separate gamertag. Each analysis is independently run on each gamertag.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4