Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

So are the updates the "free DLC" or is that later

OP TriSarahTops303

Because really if these updates are counted as the free DLC we have been screwed beyond belief, so far everything I can see apart from the new warzone map should have been in at launch.
but it's free!
Yes most of the updates they are implementing include features and maps that were very likely cut from launch to meet the deadlines. Proof? Battle of noctus was in the pre launch warzone trailer. IMO, they should stop the REQs they are adding (other than fan favourite armours, Mark IV, V,) and focus on giving us the minimum amount of content ALL other halo games had AT LAUNCH. That includes infection, oddball, and King of the hill ( yes, it's better than strongholds IMO). Once they are done that, then they can call it "free DLC". And please, no one quote this and say "but butdestiny made you pay for that stuff!" so what? Just because another game has an unacceptable business and game delivery, that does not mean taking out content that halo has always had-- at launch-- and having it as "free DLC" in order to improve 343s image, a good thing. I'd prefer to pay for proper DLC ( half a year, or a year or so after release is proper, anything earlier IMO, is cut or unfinished from base game) , and have all the cut stuff AT LAUNCH (even if it means delaying launch) rather than have content we had in other games dripped month by month.
the free DLC has been a major letdown
Technicaly, while some of the monthly updates are just updates, they do contain free DLC in the form of maps and armour.

If you better define the difference between update and DLC, you will answer your own question.
I think we can collectively determine that this is missing content they are giving us, not free DLC which is meant to be content beyond the game we believed we were purchasing.
Technicaly, while some of the monthly updates are just updates, they do contain free DLC in the form of maps and armour.

If you better define the difference between update and DLC, you will answer your own question.
He is referring to them more as cut content passed off as free DLC, which has traditionally been in at launch.
Sorry m8, even Noctus was seen in a trailer before the game launched. Which is funny as hell, because those 3 warzone maps got stale pretty quick (and even with 4 now, have gotten even more stale)
Richnj wrote:
but it's free!
you third worlder! just because it says free doesn't make it so! do you know anything about scam artists or con artists?
Sorry m8, even Noctus was seen in a trailer before the game launched. Which is funny as hell, because those 3 warzone maps got stale pretty quick (and even with 4 now, have gotten even more stale)
Yes this is true, warzone maps get far too repetitive, same thing every time. Boss spawns should be random for a start.
Richnj wrote:
but it's free!
you third worlder! just because it says free doesn't make it so! do you know anything about scam artists or con artists?
I don't even know if that's an insult or not. I was simply being facetious and making a comment about the typical responses you get on here.

Still, your response has annoyed me more because personally attacking people doesn't make you right.
You got screwed by getting free stuff?
"Free stuff"- refer to my previous post, I don't want to repeat it over and over agai.
Halo 5 should have had 13 MP maps + 4 Warzone maps, the free stuff we are getting now should have been at the launch, PERIOD!
Halo 5 has less content and that's why it's in 9th position of most played Xbox Live Game, even Rainbow Six Siege has more players... that says it all!
We aren't mad because 343i's free content updates don't meet some ridiculous standards. It's free, and there's a continued promise for these updates all the way through June 2016 (and if it keeps up in a similar pace, Halo 5 multiplayer will be a completely different experience by then).

We're mad because 343i tricked us yet again. This isn't "free DLC"- these are mostly basic features, maps and modes that should have been there at launch. 343i aren't giving us any more than we were promised for our original 60 bucks, they're releasing that very same game in parts. As is, Halo 5 doesn't meet the high standards this series has set- not by a long shot it doesn't.

And because Microsoft gave them a firm release date, and because they weren't taking chances releasing another buggy mess like the MCC, they're very secretly doing exactly what Hitman is doing. As is? Halo 5 is not what we were promised and certainly not what we were expecting- and this "free DLC" is very very veeeerrrrry slowly getting our money's worth out of the game, not a dime more than that.

So I won't give 343i any credit for this. The fact that it's been three months and there's no release date set for the very basic Objective gametypes that made Halo multiplayer fun and unique is just a disgrace, honestly. Three years and all they could give us is Slayer, Strongholds, CTF and Warzone. They're doing their best avoiding a straight answer and being purposefully vague on this front, and that's because they no that no matter how many updates they'll roll out- none of them will make the game what it should have been at launch. I won't be surprised if the likes of Infection and Race will never even make it to Halo 5 at all. And certainly no co-op mode.

Halo 5 is just one big failed promise both in the story, graphics and content department. But hey, at least it has fun gameplay. God, was Halo 4 underappreciated. We should have said thank you and shut up. Now we have the competitive, even starts we asked for and lost just about everything else.

All I can say is... better luck next time 343i! I'm seriously afraid at what they'll screw up in Halo 6, though, I'm starting to believe Halo 4 will have been their best entry once it's all said and done.
Getting it late and labeled bonus.
Because really if these updates are counted as the free DLC we have been screwed beyond belief, so far everything I can see apart from the new warzone map should have been in at launch.
Calm down, I agree that at launch the game lacked content but as it stands now it's not bad at all. The problem with 343 was that they gamble and replace BTB and some other game modes from previous launch with warzone and breakout. Unfortunately I and many people don't really care too much for breakout combine that with the lackluster campaign and the game felt a bit lacking content. Once they introduced BTB the game got a lot better.
Having said that I do agree that forge should had been released at launch. I believe that 343 put BTB and some game modes on the back burner so they could introduce their new game modes. I honestly enjoy the monthly FREE updates rather than having to wait for four to six months for the same amount of content.
The notion that some rather pay for some DLC every couple of months rather than obtaining it for free it's ridiculous. Not only does it split the community but who's to say that we won't get the same maps and same skins that we got for free monthly.
It was described to us as free DLC. In reality they are just content updates released post launch. Think GTA V updates but Halo.

The updates are not content cut from launch, sure some of the content was being made pre-launch but that just shows the effort beiing put into these updates. At least we are getting quality maps rather than crappy ones made in one month. Not including forge maps there.
We aren't mad because 343i's free content updates don't meet some ridiculous standards. It's free, and there's a continued promise for these updates all the way through June 2016 (and if it keeps up in a similar pace, Halo 5 multiplayer will be a completely different experience by then).

We're mad because 343i tricked us yet again. This isn't "free DLC"- these are mostly basic features, maps and modes that should have been there at launch. 343i aren't giving us any more than we were promised for our original 60 bucks, they're releasing that very same game in parts. As is, Halo 5 doesn't meet the high standards this series has set- not by a long shot it doesn't.

And because Microsoft gave them a firm release date, and because they weren't taking chances releasing another buggy mess like the MCC, they're very secretly doing exactly what Hitman is doing. As is? Halo 5 is not what we were promised and certainly not what we were expecting- and this "free DLC" is very very veeeerrrrry slowly getting our money's worth out of the game, not a dime more than that.

So I won't give 343i any credit for this. The fact that it's been three months and there's no release date set for the very basic Objective gametypes that made Halo multiplayer fun and unique is just a disgrace, honestly. Three years and all they could give us is Slayer, Strongholds, CTF and Warzone. They're doing their best avoiding a straight answer and being purposefully vague on this front, and that's because they no that no matter how many updates they'll roll out- none of them will make the game what it should have been at launch. I won't be surprised if the likes of Infection and Race will never even make it to Halo 5 at all. And certainly no co-op mode.

Halo 5 is just one big failed promise both in the story, graphics and content department. But hey, at least it has fun gameplay. God, was Halo 4 underappreciated. We should have said thank you and shut up. Now we have the competitive, even starts we asked for and lost just about everything else.

All I can say is... better luck next time 343i! I'm seriously afraid at what they'll screw up in Halo 6, though, I'm starting to believe Halo 4 will have been their best entry once it's all said and done.
Halo 5 in a nutshell, nailed it.