[Locked] So you listen to your fans?

OP David iZ Mental

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
Why when the fanbase voted unanimously to remove sprint have you kept sprint?
Let's be real here: competitive players are a minority. The vast majority of people like Sprint. (Edit: Or are indifferent to it.)

What we must lobby for is custom games options to remove Sprint, Spartan Abilities, and anything else 343i decides to add in the days and months ahead before release. As well as a minimum of one dedicated competitive playlist with those settings.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame and attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Spoiler:
Show
Let's be real here: competitive players are a minority. The vast majority of people like Sprint.

What we must lobby for is custom games options to remove Sprint, Spartan Abilities, and anything else 343i decides to add in the days and months ahead before release. As well as a minimum of one dedicated competitive playlist with those settings.

I'm being realistic. Even Bungie didn't do jack for competitive players. Remember the whole fuss over BR spread? Did that ever get fixed? No. In Reach we only had the MLG playlist for competitive gameplay. In Halo 4 there wasn't even that - only Legendary BRs, which later got moved over to Infinity Slayer and got killed.

I don't want to antagonize casual players for no reason and for little gain.
Let's be real here: competitive players are a minority. The vast majority of people like Sprint.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from...

As for custom games options, the more the better!
Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Don't be so damn arrogant, the competitive players are not the heart and soul of every damn game. I played Halo 3 for a long time, I was never competitive - ever. And even then - this forum does not actually represent the competitive players, it represents the loudest players.

SO no, you don't speak for the entire fanbase. You speak for one particular portion of it who, spoilers, doesn't like sprint.
Lehnaru wrote:

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from...

As for custom games options, the more the better!
Sales figures and playlist populations. I don't think the MLG playlist in Reach ever managed to go past 5000 players. Take something like Living Dead, on the other hand, which was regularly pulling 10k+ players. Casuals outnumber competitive players. That's a simple rule that holds true for a lot of games, not just Halo.

Halo 4 told people about killstreaks (ordinance), perks, armour abilities, etc. months before release and tons of people still bought the game. If the competitive community was so strong then there should have been a sizable dent in the sales figures and an organized boycott. As it stands only me and a handful of people refused to buy Halo 4.

I do agree, most players will just leave.

unless the game is incredible.
Let's be real here: competitive players are a minority. The vast majority of people like Sprint. (Edit: Or are indifferent to it.)

You might see them as a minority but they were the ones which kept Halo 3's population healthy all the way leading up to Halo Reach's launch and they were also the ones who were overlooked with Halo 4 and look how the population for that has been for the last 12 months. That minority are the ones who would usually be daily visiting forums talking about all things halo and the ones who would still be populating the game two years down the line.. adding stuff like sprint when so many great points were made by various people over the last four years as to why it shouldn't be in is just a slap in the face to those people.
Sprint is pretty much the only factor holding Halo 5 back for me. I'll give it shot, But from my first impressions, I do think it either needs to be nerfed some more or straight up removed.
Sprint is pretty much the only factor holding Halo 5 back for me. I'll give it shot, But from my first impressions, I do think it either needs to be nerfed some more or straight up removed.
Honestly, I could learn to accept sprint, it's the fact they are most likely going to design their maps around it and ruin the flow of the gameplay that worries me the most. Just look at bigship, it hurt seeing how big they made that map when it's one of the most fast paced and frantic maps there is for halo.
MrFlibblex wrote:

You might see them as a minority but they were the ones which kept Halo 3's population healthy all the way leading up to Halo Reach's launch and they were also the ones who were overlooked with Halo 4 and look how the population for that has been for the last 12 months. That minority are the ones who would usually be daily visiting forums talking about all things halo and the ones who would still be populating the game two years down the line.. adding stuff like sprint when so many great points were made by various people over the last four years as to why it shouldn't be in is just a slap in the face to those people.
You talk about population like it actually matters. Sales matter. If a game like Halo 4 sells 9 million copies then that's a success when viewed from the perspective of any corporation. You and me can complain for hours and days and weeks and months and years on this forum but in the end if 343 isn't seeing a huge drop in sales (if any) when they throw out their "new innovative game mechanics", they have no reason to listen.
MrFlibblex wrote:

You talk about population like it actually matters. Sales matter. If a game like Halo 4 sells 9 million copies then that's a success when viewed from the perspective of any corporation. You and me can complain for hours and days and weeks and months and years on this forum but in the end if 343 isn't seeing a huge drop in sales (if any) when they throw out their "new innovative game mechanics", they have no reason to listen.
Population does matter, when a game has a large population players are more likely to buy DLC, they have reason to listen.
LOL,

You don't want them to listen, you want them to comply. There is a difference.

They will make the game that they want to make. We can hope that it is a game that resonates with people.
I think this is a great example of what I (and many others) have been saying for a while. The Halo community, like many, are a diverse bunch of people who are fans of Halo but have different viewpoints. So who should 343i be listening to precisely? The casual side? The competitive side? Those in the middle? All are an important part of Halo. Implement the ideas of one and the others will claim they're not being listening to. 343i need to balance a wide variety of needs and requests and that's almost impossible to do
MrFlibblex wrote:

Population does matter, when a game has a large population players are more likely to buy DLC, they have reason to listen.
You are right. MS does not want us to play the same game for 5 years. They want us to play Halo 5, then Forza 6, then Gears of War etc...

Some people have a hard time understanding that. Halo 4 is an utter failure, even though its commercial and critical success in undebatable. When I see drivel like the OP, I just wish that 343i would shut down these forums and make the game in a vacuum...
Full disclosure: I am NOT a competitive player. However, I think I understand why people don't want sprint in Halo. That said, you have to realize that MOST new FPS (certainly most console FPS) have been adding lots of movement modes and abilities (Titanfall, Destiny, CoD:AW, Crysis, etc). I understand these games aren't Halo, but Halo exists alongside those games, and competes for players time. 343 can't ignore that movement modes are extremely popular. If they don't innovate the player movement in Halo going forward, they run the risk of feeling stale compared to those other games, and losing player base. This would not be good for the competitive community either.

343 has confirmed that you will not regenerate shields while sprinting.There are some players that will never be happy with sprint in any form, but I think that this disadvantage from sprinting will balance out its use and make it a much better situation than the previous Halo games that featured sprint.

[Edit: typos]
One7TOut wrote:
I think this is a great example of what I (and many others) have been saying for a while. The Halo community, like many, are a diverse bunch of people who are fans of Halo but have different viewpoints. So who should 343i be listening to precisely? The casual side? The competitive side? Those in the middle? All are an important part of Halo. Implement the ideas of one and the others will claim they're not being listening to. 343i need to balance a wide variety of needs and requests and that's almost impossible to do
Exactly.

Apparently there was this vote regarding Proposition S(print).

The turnout was massive and the vote was unanimous. No sprint.

I say it a lot on this forum. There is no community consensus on this and many issues. parading population charts or silly "community" letters to devs does not give the authors sanction to coopt other peoples' voices.
Source? I'd love to see the factual statistical poll of the million+ members of the Halo community who voiced their opinion personally on this particular topic.
There was a poll started by none other than Ghost himself, and a huge majority wanted Sprint out.
Halo 5 looks like it will suffer the same fate as Halo 4.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6