2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
This is coming from a halo vet
there is nothing wrong with autos and I don't see how marksman weapons like dmr, battle rifle, magnum, carbine, light rifle take skill just like with reach aim for head boom done
where as autos its aim for what ever and make the enemy fall back, break shields to line up shots for a teammate with said marksman weapon or help with melee.

I think people are just complaining too much about autos because they either get killed by it ALOT or they de-synced out of smart scope by an auto ALOT
I dont get whh these salty veterans are saying that its a noob gun, they really cant admit to getting killed by a gun that should be used at that range, they dedicate to using precision weapons and tryharding but cant admit loss to what they should be using. Assualt rifles and automatics are in every game I dont get why its such a problem lol its just normal. They say its nooby but really its exactly how it should be. And yes they are stronger in this game but then again so is every gun, just compare the pistol in halo 4 to 5 big difference
Why complain about the AR?
I honestly thing it's because hale has made up used to using weapons outside of their range as simply replying and being slightly outshooting the guy front of you( if he using a precision weapon)

now if if you are outside of your range against auto you need to actually out play them to win. Once you miss two shots with your BR you absolutely deserve to die if going against an auto that's how it should be.

If you're running around with no shields and someone burst shots you to death with an AR from mid to a lil long range again you deserved it
Matic wrote:
Automatic's in a nutshell:
1.Hold shoot button
2.Get kill

Pro Automatic technique:
1. Spartan Charge
2. Shoot left ankle for killshot
3. Get kill

*Edit: Remember to work on your straight line AR strafe for maximum effectiveness. Don't forget that cheeky beat down for a quick kill.
Hahah holy -Yoink-, this slayed me x)
Automatics are easier to get consistent hits with (bigger reticle) and have more bullet magnetism, have comparable kills times across the board. You don't get punished for missing shots as much, and with the SMG and Storm Rifle the kill times are faster than precision weapons.

Precision weapons require better aim, and missing shots punishes you. Automatics don't.
People complain about AR shoot and punch but forget that the BR can do the same thing with 2 shots and a punch.
Short answer - there's a whole bunch of noobs who can't land the headshots needed to take someone down when they're rushing into close quarters with an AR and somehow think it's 343's fault.
Hard VVay wrote:
Tazzman29 wrote:
Hard VVay wrote:
I don't think anyone's issue is that the automatics are viable. I know I'm glad that the weapon sandbox is finally full of useful guns. I think everyone's problem with the automatics is that while they are very easy to use, all too often they beat the much harder pistol in 1v1 battles in what SHOULD be the pistol's range. I don't mind the AR beating the pistol at close range, but the AR is stepping on the pistol's toes by being that good out to mid range. As it is now, a pistol can beat an AR at midrange, but he has to be absolutely perfect, and he'll still come away with only a sliver of health. That's messed up. The skill/reward ratio is way out of whack. One guy is doing something skillful, and the other guy is not.

The skill in the AR should be knowing when to use it, and right now the margin for error is way too wide.
....that insinuates that use of an AR with an opponent at mid range or longer takes no skill. This is true if your opponent is standing still. But considering the amount of movement mechanics now available it does take some skill to get a kill....at any range really.

I'm totally fine with some overlap of the two. What happens is that movement skill is now just as important as aim skill in a 1v1.
The problem is that at medium range, it's practically a coin flip whether the pistol user or the AR user will win, but one weapon (the AR) is WAAAY easier to use than the other. In arena, this makes up far too many engagements, given the AR's ease of use compared to the pistol's.

You keep bringing up movement mechanics to defend the AR's ease of use. And yeah, it's a bit harder to aim the AR in this game than in other Halo games, but that's negated by the weapon's power. And probably more importantly, you make it sound like the pistol user doesn't also have to contend with his opponents strafe and thrusts. He still has to do that too. In a 1v1 fight between an AR and Pistol, the AR is way, way easier to use than a pistol, and it has the advantage in a disproportionate amount of engagements, to the point where it becomes harder than it should be for a skilled player to distinguish himself. That's the whole anti-automatic argument.

Some of the points you're making lead me to believe that you do not play against skilled players regularly.
Exactly. At mid range missing a single pistol shot is the difference between life and death and the AR user can miss a -Yoink- ton and still get the kill. I don't understand how people honestly believe that automatics require as much skill as precision weapons. It blows my mind. Having to hit every shot while strafing and while they are strafing is much harder than with an AR. Better yet, in order for the precision weapon to get the fast kill they have to hit the head on their last shot. Missing is detrimental to precision weapon play, while missing a couple of shots with an AR isn't that big of a deal. Now counter that with the headshot modifier on the AR, thruster, and a larger clip for the AR and you get a weapon that is extremely easy to use comparatively and with roughly the same kill time.
Tazzman29 wrote:
Ramir3z77 wrote:
Quote:
Then please, feel free to go complain about another game somewhere else.
Wooo awesome -Yoinking!- retort bro. "Go play another game." Yeah that's totally relevant to my arguments. You sure told me, you sure rebutted my points.
You must have missed the 2 other paragraphs that followed "BRO".
I knew I played against you this past weekend Tazzman!
It's a bit sad that some people think there's a 'noob' option.
All Spartans have preferences, some prefer close quarters, some prefer mid range, some prefer long range.
So there's no point arguing, just accept everyone's differences and move on.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
And now you're giving me advice on how to counter automatics that is basically just "stay out of range." Thanks for telling me what I already knew, knowing how to counter automatics doesn't magically make them better designed conceptually. Really lovely that, as with most of these arguments, you assume that if I have a problem with automatics it must be because I must die to them all the time. Sorry, dead wrong.

You catch someone in CQC using an automatic and it IS a guaranteed kill unless you lack thumbs. Try getting a five-shot in the same range and telling me that it's equally easy. No, catching someone in CQC isn't "outplaying" them, my god. All guns have magnetism, but being "very near" with a small reticle is much different than being "very near" with a gigantic one, and I'll say it as many times as I need too, all this -Yoink- should be -Yoinking!- obvious and self-evident to anyone who has actually played the game.

"People using automatics can miss shots too you know." Yeah, except it's much harder to actually miss shots and missed shots are much less significant due to killtime and fire-rate.

That's all you're getting. I'm done and I'm unsure why I bothered to post to begin with.
Alright, then let's try a different approach. Tell me how automatics should be changed so they would be "balanced" to you. Reduce their range? Maybe for the AR, but the SMG and SR would essentially be shotguns with longer ttk's at that point, so that's a no-go. Nerf their damage? Well, then they have a longer ttk and wouldn't be able to stand up to the precision weapons and no one would use them ever, which is not what 343i wants. So what do you propose? And if you aren't getting killed by automatics enough to warrant you having an issue, what's the -Yoinking!- issue in the first place?

Cute that you think catching someone by surprise is the only way close quarters fights happen. People close the distance, that's how people play, and if you happen to rush someone and get close for a melee maybe or you're just better up close, why the hell should they handicap themselves by using a weapon not suited to the situation? Because you think you should win, that's it, cute. So for the umpteenth time, someone switching to a weapon better suited to that specific situation is the better tactical choice, and if they kill you, then yes, they made better choices than you, you were outplayed, you can't sensibly argue that. As for bullet magnetism, you're arguing with yourself, because no one said anything like what you're arguing. No one ever said automatics required equal skill to use, but you claiming they are as easy as point and shoot is sad and misinformed.

"lalalala, easier to use, lalala" Yeah, you caught me, they are easier to use, so play your -Yoinking!- weapon to it's strength and use what's at your disposal. Toss a grenade, backpedal, boost, strafe, crouch, retreat, jump, flank, do what it takes to give yourself an edge, that's a hallmark trait of a competent player, if you can't do any of those, then you lose, respawn, and try again.

Taking your ball and going home after you're the one who got pissy, yeah you sure showed me, glad to know that I've been arguing with a -Yoink- child. It was fun, bud, maybe reduce your sodium intake and come back with an actual argument.
That was pretty rude I think you were attacking that guy more than his points... but I don't really have an opinion about this thread because as much as a I hate people who spartan charge then AR me I do love my SMG.
My problem with autos in this game is that in my opinion, they are way too powerful, for how easy they are to use. I really don't think they should be so strong at the ranges they are now. Sometimes it feels like you can range someone with and AR or SMG at mid range, which is crazy to me. Weapons that are inherently easy to use should not be stronger, or as strong as precisions, this should be a golden rule of Halo's style of arena gameplay. Most of the time it feels like you get punished for using a precision weapon because even if you do manage to beat someone with an AR, you're almost dead anyway, and then get cleaned up by a Spartan charge or something.
Matic wrote:
Automatic's in a nutshell:
1.Hold shoot button
2.Get kill

Pro Automatic technique:
1. Spartan Charge
2. Shoot left ankle for killshot
3. Get kill

*Edit: Remember to work on your straight line AR strafe for maximum effectiveness. Don't forget that cheeky beat down for a quick kill.
Me technique:
1.Spartan Charge
2.AR burst
3.get kill
4.Luagh at enemy.
5.Notice plasma grenade stuck to face
automatics dont require that much skill to use
there is nothing wrong with autos and I don't see how marksman weapons like dmr, battle rifle, magnum, carbine, light rifle take skill just like with reach aim for head boom done
where as autos its aim for what ever and make the enemy fall back, break shields to line up shots for a teammate with said marksman weapon or help with melee.

I think people are just complaining too much about autos because they either get killed by it ALOT or they de-synced out of smart scope by an auto ALOT
You're right. Autos are not OP in fact they make a reasonable amount of damage.Look at the good ol CE ar. It killed fast.so did the halo2 and halo3 AR s. In halo 4 they lowered ar damage and now they brought it back up. BUT EVERYONE LOSES THERE MINDS
OP I completely agree. Automatic weapons aren't exactly rife with the need of skill but they are useful in close engagements. The SMG is by far my favorite close range weapon especially when paired up with weapons like the Sniper or Battle Rifle. I can take guys on at long range and if someone gets close I can switch over to my SMG and take the guy on without fear of losing my Sniper that cost six energy.

Battle Rifle is nice for medium to long range. And honestly how many times have you ever taken a Battle Rifle into a close range fight and won? For me that's a very low number. Now using something like a DMR I can do because it does so much damage. Guys that are really good with precision weapons seem to complain about automatics mostly becuase they get out gunned. It's like going up against a guy who's got a rocket launcher: yeah you're gonna get killed, deal with it. It's like when you get hit with a sniper or a sword: you're going to die, so deal with it.

Basically, precision weapon users complain about those who use automatics because they need something to complain about.
there is nothing wrong with autos and I don't see how marksman weapons like dmr, battle rifle, magnum, carbine, light rifle take skill just like with reach aim for head
Oh..I don't know.. Good aim?
AR is definitely better than the Magnum at closer ranges, especially if you fire it in bursts so no bullets miss. AR is far from a noob weapon. The SMG on the other hand is just spray and pray.

You're right. Autos are not OP in fact they make a reasonable amount of damage.Look at the good ol CE ar. It killed fast.so did the halo2 and halo3 AR s. In halo 4 they lowered ar damage and now they brought it back up. BUT EVERYONE LOSES THERE MINDS
Halo 2 didn't have an AR and the Halo 4 AR is much stronger than the Halo 3 and Halo Reach equivalents. They made a point to talk about that in Halo 4's marketing. I don't think that you've ever played those games...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12