Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Soooo... About that Flood...?

OP GStam66

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I guess I should be safe and label this as possible SPOILERS, cause it discusses something not in the game?

So yeah, is the Flood just not a thing anymore? This galaxy-consuming parasite that almost caused the end of the known galaxy, maybe universe, that has no known cure just gets forgotten? The Forerunners only devoted about half to all of their resources developing technology to fight it, and now it gets to sit there unused.

After being pretty busy during Halo 1-3, the Flood then decides to call it quits for Halo 4 and 5?

Sidenote, what ever happened with that whole Absolute Record thing? Was that also just busywork for Infinity and her crew? Something to do to pass the time until Halo 5 came out?
I don't know why but I have always felt that 343 want to replace the Flood with the Prometheans, maybe because of the way thy explained the composer or what but I just got that vibe, I really really miss the food they felt as important to the series if not more so as the covenant.
Unless you missed it we wiped out the flood during Halo 3. The only other time the flood is mentioned after Halo 3 is somewhere in the infinity's lore about searching for other rings.
#343logic

Halo 5: robot dog hunting simulator
xBELTWAYx wrote:
Unless you missed it we wiped out the flood during Halo 3. The only other time the flood is mentioned after Halo 3 is somewhere in the infinity's lore about searching for other rings.
We didn't even come close to wiping the flood out. Halo 3's ending was the stop of 2 localized outbreaks (earth and the ark/halo). 3 if you count High Charity. There are still plenty of flood specimens in research facilities and on Halo's. The lore also states multiple times how the Flood is lurking on the outskirts of the galaxy, waiting to return en masse.

Considering how much emphasis was put on the Flood's threat to the galaxy (the Forerunners building the Halo's and exterminating themselves), it seems very scatterbrained of 343 to just up and abandon the Flood storyline for something completely different.
GStam66 wrote:
xBELTWAYx wrote:
We didn't even come close to wiping the flood out. Halo 3's ending was the stop of 2 localized outbreaks (earth and the ark/halo). 3 if you count High Charity. There are still plenty of flood specimens in research facilities and on Halo's. The lore also states multiple times how the Flood is lurking on the outskirts of the galaxy, waiting to return en masse.

Considering how much emphasis was put on the Flood's threat to the galaxy (the Forerunners building the Halo's and exterminating themselves), it seems very scatterbrained of 343 to just up and abandon the Flood storyline for something completely different.
The Flood was lurking on the outskirts of the galaxy during the Forerunner era, as it came from outside the galaxy. The original form of the flood is white powder, completely inert. They aren't fully functional forms that are waiting for a chance to strike, if they are still outside the rim, they're floating through space as powder in tubes.
While I am a flood fan and I'm sure they'll pop back up eventually. I don't really see a problem with them being absent from the plot for a few games.
GStam66 wrote:
I guess I should be safe and label this as possible SPOILERS, cause it discusses something not in the game?

So yeah, is the Flood just not a thing anymore? This galaxy-consuming parasite that almost caused the end of the known galaxy, maybe universe, that has no known cure just gets forgotten? The Forerunners only devoted about half to all of their resources developing technology to fight it, and now it gets to sit there unused.

After being pretty busy during Halo 1-3, the Flood then decides to call it quits for Halo 4 and 5?

Sidenote, what ever happened with that whole Absolute Record thing? Was that also just busywork for Infinity and her crew? Something to do to pass the time until Halo 5 came out?
The Absolute Record was addressed in Escalation.
I must have missed the latest issue then, i'll have to check. I figured because it was in Halo 4 via spartan ops, it would have some sort of relevance in halo 5, as it was essentially a weapons cache and technological treasure trove that was supposed to aid humanity.

Still disappointed how the flood doesn't even get a mention in halo 4 or 5's campaign. After being fairly involved in the galaxy for 15-20 years (the events of Halo to Halo 3), they just take a break? Instead the new threat is all terminator-ish, rise of the machines and stuff.
I agree. Can't wait to see the Gravemind again.

I do think that 343 is trying to do something different with their storytelling, though, which I appreciate. It's not often you get to play from various viewpoints int eh same conflict, on the same side of a war, but with directly opposing goals.
GStam66 wrote:
I must have missed the latest issue then, i'll have to check. I figured because it was in Halo 4 via spartan ops, it would have some sort of relevance in halo 5, as it was essentially a weapons cache and technological treasure trove that was supposed to aid humanity.

Still disappointed how the flood doesn't even get a mention in halo 4 or 5's campaign. After being fairly involved in the galaxy for 15-20 years (the events of Halo to Halo 3), they just take a break? Instead the new threat is all terminator-ish, rise of the machines and stuff.
The events of Halo: CE to Halo 3 take place within the period of a few months. Unless you count the brief Flood outbreak during Halo Wars. Secondly, Halo 4 does mention the Flood. It's in a cutscene and several of the terminals.
Aren't the Flood confirmed to being alive in Halo Escalation? Fingers crossed Infection in Halo 5 uses Flood forms like they did in Halo 4. If future games bring them back, Flood infected Prometheans would be horrifying!
xBELTWAYx wrote:
No, you just wiped out the flood from Installation 05. So 04 and 05 no longer have flood, there are still 5 more Halos with flood contained on them.
Br4k3d0wN wrote:
Aren't the Flood confirmed to being alive in Halo Escalation? Fingers crossed Infection in Halo 5 uses Flood forms like they did in Halo 4. If future games bring them back, Flood infected Prometheans would be horrifying!
Prometheans are immune to the flood, that was why they were made. They aren't organic lifeforms.
xBELTWAYx wrote:
No, you just wiped out the flood from Installation 05. So 04 and 05 no longer have flood, there are still 5 more Halos with flood contained on them.
Not to mention the numerous planets and research stations that would have Flood on them. I mean, Halo Wars had an entire Shield World covered in the suckers.
I'd like to fight the flood again, just not another "Cortana" level form H3.
Br4k3d0wN wrote:
Prometheans are immune to the flood, that was why they were made. They aren't organic lifeforms.
It makes sense they'd be immune. They're pretty much AI, given a body. One can dream, though!
GStam66 wrote:

the Record storyline is in the comic seires Halo Esclation, its also probably going to explain why halsey knew about the threat currently facing the Galaxy.

the flood are definitely still around... doubt there are many active colonys but there are likely prespace travel worlds that have been consumed but pose no real thread because they are contained. the parasite exists in a such a small form that it could go by completely undetected for eons.. only for one bad spacecraft to dissappear and set off another flood war...
I'm hoping Halo wars 2 reintroduces the flood to the story arc. That is assuming it takes place alongside halo 5. The flood has got to make a comeback in the story one way or another, and it has to be done right. The flood in my opinion is the most interesting / terrifying zombie apocalypse I've seen and there is a lot of potential for an amazing story there.
Flood are cool, hopefully the gametype makes a return soon.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2