Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Spartan Company Commendations

OP Sir Ethan Bacon

My teammates got around 10-15 kills a game with ground vehicles for about 4 games. We started at 8590 and the at the end it showed up as 8606. Is the system glitched or what? Please let me know if this has happened to you.
I believe there is an issue with using Warthog gunners. Those kills are counted as turret kills rather than vehicle kills. You want to use the vehicles in which the driver can shoot the primary weapon.
tuhin94 wrote:
I believe there is an issue with using Warthog gunners. Those kills are counted as turret kills rather than vehicle kills. You want to use the vehicles in which the driver can shoot the primary weapon.
Yeah my teammate got 14 kills as a gunner in a gauss hog and Waypoint only recognized one of those.
tuhin94 wrote:
Being the teammate in question, I can shed some more light on this... last night, me, my wife, and two others from our company were playing Big Team last night and was reward with good maps for ground vehicle kills... we had gotten roughly 100-150 kills with ground vehicles (in one match my wife got a perfection with 21 kills), but by the end of the night, waypoint says we only 30-40 (as of last night). We've played a few big team matches today and used the a gauss hog again, she'd get 19 kills again, waypoint only gave us credit for (at most) three, usually only one or two...
Prewojo wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Being the teammate in question, I can shed some more light on this... last night, me, my wife, and two others from our company were playing Big Team last night and was reward with good maps for ground vehicle kills... we had gotten roughly 100-150 kills with ground vehicles (in one match my wife got a perfection with 21 kills), but by the end of the night, waypoint says we only 30-40 (as of last night). We've played a few big team matches today and used the a gauss hog again, she'd get 19 kills again, waypoint only gave us credit for (at most) three, usually only one or two...
Gotcha. Yeah, sounds like you guys were hit with that same bug. I think the game has trouble recognizing whether the turret is being lugged around on foot or whether it's mounted to a Warthog. I remember Waypoint updated immediately when we were going for Achilles, so I'd stay away from vehicles that don't provide that for you. As far as I know, it's only Warthogs that cause the problem. Our company had no issues with Scorpions, Ghosts, Wraiths, Mantises, and even Gungooses.

Another thing, I think Splatters count. So, funny enough, you would have made progress toward the commendation if you were driving the Warthog in question and got a Splatter.
tuhin94 wrote:
Prewojo wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Gotcha. Yeah, sounds like you guys were hit with that same bug. I think the game has trouble recognizing whether the turret is being lugged around on foot or whether it's mounted to a Warthog. I remember when we were going for Achilles Waypoint updated immediately, so I'd stay away from vehicles that don't provide that for you. As far as I know, it's only Warthogs that cause the problem. Our company had no issues with Scorpions, Ghosts, Wraiths, Mantises, and even Gungooses.

Another thing, I think Splatters count. So, funny enough, you would have made progress toward the commendation if you were driving the Warthog in question and got a Splatter.
I will keep that in mind when playing BTB or Warzone. Thank you!
tuhin94 wrote:
Prewojo wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Gotcha. Yeah, sounds like you guys were hit with that same bug. I think the game has trouble recognizing whether the turret is being lugged around on foot or whether it's mounted to a Warthog. I remember Waypoint updated immediately when we were going for Achilles, so I'd stay away from vehicles that don't provide that for you. As far as I know, it's only Warthogs that cause the problem. Our company had no issues with Scorpions, Ghosts, Wraiths, Mantises, and even Gungooses.

Thanks for the tip... I'll keep that in mind as I'm playing. It seems to be a roll of the dice as to how it doles out vehicle kills. The number of kills we get will be more or less the same, but we'd get credit for anywhere from one to five kills. Something's better than nothing I suppose, but still, we would have finished tier 3 by now and be well on our way through tier 4 if we'd have gotten full credit. As I've mentioned to my company, it's a good thing 343 is throwing all their resources to both a game 6 years now in the making and to a rehash of games that have been out for years, instead of fixing a game that clearly still (five years on) has issues and bugs that need resolved.

I know what you mean about waypoint updating... if I go to my profile page, my xp will be updated immediately, where if I go to my service record page, it won't be updated. But the comms page (at least personal comms) are pretty quick to update, so there's that...

I knew about the splatters counting twice, so that's something working in our favor at least. Thanks for the tips!!! You guys are helpful as always!!
tuhin94 wrote:
I believe the mongoose passenger grenade kills count. I remember spending many hours farming kills like that but I cant remember if it's for that accommodation or not.
tuhin94 wrote:
I believe the mongoose passenger grenade kills count. I remember spending many hours farming kills like that but I cant remember if it's for that accommodation or not.
That’s probably for the grenade kills commendation, my company did the same thing back in the day.
Back of a gungoose, nade spam for days.

Vehicle kills will more than likely have to be from the driver itself. I don’t believe passengers count.
TheDonCJG wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
That’s probably for the grenade kills commendation, my company did the same thing back in the day.
Back of a gungoose, nade spam for days.

Vehicle kills will more than likely have to be from the driver itself. I don’t believe passengers count.
Maybe that's what it was. It was so long ago.
Prewojo wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Prewojo wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

Thanks for the tip... I'll keep that in mind as I'm playing. It seems to be a roll of the dice as to how it doles out vehicle kills. The number of kills we get will be more or less the same, but we'd get credit for anywhere from one to five kills. Something's better than nothing I suppose, but still, we would have finished tier 3 by now and be well on our way through tier 4 if we'd have gotten full credit. As I've mentioned to my company, it's a good thing 343 is throwing all their resources to both a game 6 years now in the making and to a rehash of games that have been out for years, instead of fixing a game that clearly still (five years on) has issues and bugs that need resolved.

I know what you mean about waypoint updating... if I go to my profile page, my xp will be updated immediately, where if I go to my service record page, it won't be updated. But the comms page (at least personal comms) are pretty quick to update, so there's that...

I knew about the splatters counting twice, so that's something working in our favor at least. Thanks for the tips!!! You guys are helpful as always!!
It’s not actually a roll of the dice. The ones you got were from other people in the company who happened to get vehicle kills at the same time that you were in that match. Turret kills don’t count toward vehicle kills at all. They count to power weapon kills. My source is the extensive testing I did when I first set up my company with just me and three throw away accounts needed to make it active.

My company had the most luck with ground vehicle kills by going into warzone and moving between ghosts-wraiths-scorpions-mantis. BTB has good opportunities as well, but I would recommend staying away from the warthog variants if your goal is commendation progress. Good luck on the grind! Y’all are almost to the armor so don’t get discouraged!