Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Sprint and why it is bad for Halo

OP Phoxniix

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 43
Its most likely only half and half here. But there are thousands that never come to this site.
Waypoint might be the single-largest conglomerate of "Nu-Halo" fanboys on the web. The supporters might be the majority here, but I can absolutely guarantee you that on countless other forums the numbers are reversed. And then there are those "that never come to this site" because they already gave up on Halo.

As I told somebody else above. If you really want to see how many people enjoy sprint. go to Bungie's Destiny forum and suggest they remove sprint and see what happens. Really. Lots of people that play Destiny also play Halo and most don't come to this forum. there is a much bigger player base than people want to believe.
Great. So let them play Destiny that was designed with sprint and let the rest play Halo which was designed without. Now everybody's happy.
This can't compare to the "Sprint doesn't exist but has still ruined everything" thread. I suggest giving up.
Rommel S wrote:
According to the User Feedback Program it's only 11% of people that hate sprint. Scroll down through the link and read, it's there. Many thousands of people participated in that poll too.

To sum it up, it's a very vocal minority that hates sprint.
That poll is biased. I already said back in the day that i know of dozens of people that weren't able to participate du to "regional restrictions" when sometimes their own neighbour had no problem voting. I can't say for sure if it was actually rigged or just broken, but in no way is it representative.
Phoxniix wrote:
But that speed is only an illusion because of the increased map size in Halo due to it
Increased map size is almost always good not bad. Second, Sprint is not going away. how many Halo games with sprint will there be before people like you give up your quest to get rid of it? really, How many , 4 games? 5?
In the most polite way, I completely disagree with you on bigger maps being better than small ones.......

There is a reason much of the community prefer maps up to Halo 3, compared to maps from 4 onwards......(I'd say Reach was a middle ground).

People will argue for getting rid of it as long as it causes problems to gameplay.

What is the actual benefit of it in Halo 5? (Please don't say move quicker, as you would be travelling a greater distance just to compensate).
The 2nd box was another guy,it wasn't me.I am entirely for smaller 4v4 maps.I see your confusion though good sir
If you guys really want to have no sprint in matchmaking start petitioning 343 to make a "classic halo" weekend playlist, the game already has the option to turn it off so it wouldnt be too hard for them to do
I'm used top the older versions of Halo without the sprint, so having it all the time was a change. I personally like it for strategy when you need an extra boost of speed when jumping to somewhere. If it wasn't there then I think I could live with it, but being they are super soldiers you would think they could be able to run. Reach was balanced that it needed to recharge. They could have gone that route and added Reqs that would give you longer time and shorter recharge time?
Celestis wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
According to the User Feedback Program it's only 11% of people that hate sprint. Scroll down through the link and read, it's there. Many thousands of people participated in that poll too.

To sum it up, it's a very vocal minority that hates sprint.
That poll is biased. I already said back in the day that i know of dozens of people that weren't able to participate du to "regional restrictions" when sometimes their own neighbour had no problem voting. I can't say for sure if it was actually rigged or just broken, but in no way is it representative.
I doubt you would say that if the results would have supported your opinion. Not to mention at the time of that poll 19 thousand people had singed up and participated in the User Feedback Program. You'll never find a poll on another website with that many participants, in regards to sprint. Then take into account on other sites, and here on waypoint, you get many people with multiple accounts posting the same thing over and over again to try and inflate the numbers to back their views on things.

At least with the User Feedback Program MS and 343 weeded those types out and only allowed participants over the age of 18 to join. If anything it's probably the most accurate poll results to date.
Celestis wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
According to the User Feedback Program it's only 11% of people that hate sprint. Scroll down through the link and read, it's there. Many thousands of people participated in that poll too.

To sum it up, it's a very vocal minority that hates sprint.
That poll is biased. I already said back in the day that i know of dozens of people that weren't able to participate du to "regional restrictions" when sometimes their own neighbour had no problem voting. I can't say for sure if it was actually rigged or just broken, but in no way is it representative.
data is not reliable or accurate,therefore I cannot take it as a valid point.
Celestis wrote:


As I told somebody else above. If you really want to see how many people enjoy sprint. go to Bungie's Destiny forum and suggest they remove sprint and see what happens. Really. Lots of people that play Destiny also play Halo and most don't come to this forum. there is a much bigger player base than people want to believe.
Great. So let them play Destiny that was designed with sprint and let the rest play Halo which was designed without. Now everybody's happy.
I myself will pay anyway. But its obvious that 343 wants more than just the hardcore old school Halo Fans. However I want the playerbase to grow. not stay stagnant. the drop in the playerbase is already evident in the matchmaking where Platinums are going up against Silvers. We don't even have enough players for silvers to play silvers. thats an issue and will only get worse by being content to satisfy a small group. Obviously me and you want different things. You want no sprint for you. I like sprint for the greater playerbase both current and potential.
Vash 743 wrote:
If you guys really want to have no sprint in matchmaking start petitioning 343 to make a "classic halo" weekend playlist, the game already has the option to turn it off so it wouldnt be too hard for them to do
But by turning it off you are practically handicapping yourself and giving your opponents a. HUUUUUGE advantage
Rommel S wrote:
Marcos94 wrote:
DESTRUCC wrote:
Please no more sprint complaint threads. The naysayers are outnumbered by yaysayers. We like the speed of modern shooters.

You are really beating a dead horse.
Lol they really aren't. It's about half and half. But yeah, I'm sure 343i are already aware that a lot of people hate sprint, but they've made it clear that it's here to stay.
Sucks, but it's whatever. I personally hate sprint, but it's not the end of the world.
According to the User Feedback Program it's only 11% of people that hate sprint. Scroll down through the link and read, it's there. Many thousands of people participated in that poll too.

To sum it up, it's a very vocal minority that hates sprint.
You think that's accurate? That was a year ago, when most of the people that voted were only people who were pumped for Halo 5. Believe me, most of the people that hate sprint have already left the forums and stopped playing Halo a while ago. Of course the few people that remain are people that are pro-sprint.
Marcos94 wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
Marcos94 wrote:
DESTRUCC wrote:
Please no more sprint complaint threads. The naysayers are outnumbered by yaysayers. We like the speed of modern shooters.

You are really beating a dead horse.
Lol they really aren't. It's about half and half. But yeah, I'm sure 343i are already aware that a lot of people hate sprint, but they've made it clear that it's here to stay.
Sucks, but it's whatever. I personally hate sprint, but it's not the end of the world.
According to the User Feedback Program it's only 11% of people that hate sprint. Scroll down through the link and read, it's there. Many thousands of people participated in that poll too.

To sum it up, it's a very vocal minority that hates sprint.
You think that's accurate? That was a year ago, when most of the people that voted were only people who were pumped for Halo 5. Believe me, most of the people that hate sprint have already left the forums and stopped playing Halo a while ago. Of course the few people that remain are people that are pro-sprint.
This only furthermores my opinion on this poll that it is not reliable data and therefore not a valid point or argument
Phoxniix wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
According to the User Feedback Program it's only 11% of people that hate sprint. Scroll down through the link and read, it's there. Many thousands of people participated in that poll too.

To sum it up, it's a very vocal minority that hates sprint.
That poll is biased. I already said back in the day that i know of dozens of people that weren't able to participate du to "regional restrictions" when sometimes their own neighbour had no problem voting. I can't say for sure if it was actually rigged or just broken, but in no way is it representative.
data is not reliable or accurate,therefore I cannot take it as a valid point.
what do you mean the data is not reliable or accurate? What do you base that on? Is there a study to support this? The user feedback program is as good as it gets. unless you have evidence that says otherwise.
Phoxniix wrote:
Sprint is a very controversial topic and I am fully aware of the effects which sprint has on Halos Gameplay.First of all,let us have a look at sprint in h4 and sprint in h5.In h4,sprint had very little downsides compared to h5s counterpart and people say that they have made sprint a lot less worse in h5 since they have balanced it with a bunch of penalties but that is just the problem right there. they have just made it not as bad as it was in h4, it does not add anything to the gameplay other than creating an illusion.

You see,people's complaints were that they wanted to go fast in video games but do you notice that the maps in both h4 and h5 are kind of more,bloated?Where there is a lot more space than necessary?My friend,this is the implications of sprint as in order to accommodate for sprint,they must makes the map bigger which I turn only creates the illusion that you are moving fast but in all reality you aren't really.This is why maps such as Gaurdian cannot be remade as it would just not be the same map because Of sprint and it would just be chaos.

Another big example in my eyes would be Warlock(Can't remember the h2c version so I'm going with that).That map would have to become a lot bigger in order to sprint to be balanced but then that removes what me that map was special in the first place!People would be spawning running across the map and back smacking people if there was sprint on h2c or h2a sized warlord

This is just one of the problems of sprint in Halo,and ask yourself this,What does sprint actually add to the gameplay for you in Halo?
Very good point.
Rommel S wrote:
I doubt you would say that if the results would have supported your opinion. Not to mention at the time of that poll 19 thousand people had singed up and participated in the User Feedback Program. You'll never find a poll on another website with that many participants, in regards to sprint. Then take into account on other sites, and here on waypoint, you get many people with multiple accounts posting the same thing over and over again to try and inflate the numbers to back their views on things.

At least with the User Feedback Program MS and 343 weeded those types out and only allowed participants over the age of 18 to join. If anything it's probably the most accurate poll results to date.
If the participants are selected behind the scenes due to some unknown criteria, then the sample base is unreliable. This is independent of the outcome, it's simple statistics. For all I know, if could be just as well biased against sprint, and the number of classic fans might be below 11%. FYI, I already conceded that the other polls aren't reliable either, due to low sample size, which is also independent of the outcome and purely statistics. Trust me, I know this stuff, I do these things at work on a daily basis...
Phoxniix wrote:
Marcos94 wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
Marcos94 wrote:
DESTRUCC wrote:
Please no more sprint complaint threads. The naysayers are outnumbered by yaysayers. We like the speed of modern shooters.

You are really beating a dead horse.
Lol they really aren't. It's about half and half. But yeah, I'm sure 343i are already aware that a lot of people hate sprint, but they've made it clear that it's here to stay.
Sucks, but it's whatever. I personally hate sprint, but it's not the end of the world.
According to the User Feedback Program it's only 11% of people that hate sprint. Scroll down through the link and read, it's there. Many thousands of people participated in that poll too.

To sum it up, it's a very vocal minority that hates sprint.
You think that's accurate? That was a year ago, when most of the people that voted were only people who were pumped for Halo 5. Believe me, most of the people that hate sprint have already left the forums and stopped playing Halo a while ago. Of course the few people that remain are people that are pro-sprint.
This only furthermores my opinion on this poll that it is not reliable data and therefore not a valid point or argument
I disagree simply because it does further prove that the majority that had intended to buy the game wanted sprint. So based on the Sprint was included. Now with that said, If they do further polls before the next game and there is ample evidence that says it should not be in the game, you can bet it won't be in the game.
I myself will pay anyway. But its obvious that 343 wants more than just the hardcore old school Halo Fans. However I want the playerbase to grow. not stay stagnant. the drop in the playerbase is already evident in the matchmaking where Platinums are going up against Silvers. We don't even have enough players for silvers to play silvers. thats an issue and will only get worse by being content to satisfy a small group. Obviously me and you want different things. You want no sprint for you. I like sprint for the greater playerbase both current and potential.
Well, that's the thing, isn't it? The player base isn't growing, ever since Reach. As a matter of fact, I left these forums during summer and only came back after H5G released, to see how the players responded to it. You probably won't believe me, but if the game was unanimously well received I would have left the franchise completely because obviously it attracted a new fanbase. But that didn't happen. Player numbers are the lowest they've ever been, sold copies have dropped as well. Everything I see screams that this new direction isn't working...
Phoxniix wrote:
Marcos94 wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
Marcos94 wrote:
DESTRUCC wrote:
Please no more sprint complaint threads. The naysayers are outnumbered by yaysayers. We like the speed of modern shooters.

You are really beating a dead horse.
Lol they really aren't. It's about half and half. But yeah, I'm sure 343i are already aware that a lot of people hate sprint, but they've made it clear that it's here to stay.
Sucks, but it's whatever. I personally hate sprint, but it's not the end of the world.
According to the User Feedback Program it's only 11% of people that hate sprint. Scroll down through the link and read, it's there. Many thousands of people participated in that poll too.

To sum it up, it's a very vocal minority that hates sprint.
You think that's accurate? That was a year ago, when most of the people that voted were only people who were pumped for Halo 5. Believe me, most of the people that hate sprint have already left the forums and stopped playing Halo a while ago. Of course the few people that remain are people that are pro-sprint.
This only furthermores my opinion on this poll that it is not reliable data and therefore not a valid point or argument
Again, being this data totally throws the idea that the majority of people playing Halo hate sprint is the only reason you say the data is not reliable. There is literally nothing better out there up to this point in time.

Anything random polls you see on waypoint, or any site, is data that you should question the validity too. That's because anyone can create any number of silver accounts, for free, here on waypoint, sign in on them, then keep reposting the same topics over and over again or vote in the same poll as many times as they want. (Not sure how other sites work but I think all you need is and email, which you can creat any number of them you want for free, and you can create an account which enables you to post in their forums.). This here alone throws any number you "might" be able to come up with out the window.

In the user feedback program you had to have a valid Gold account and be at least 18 to participate. This weeded a lot of the multiple voters out and kept the kidos from flooding the program.
Celestis wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
I doubt you would say that if the results would have supported your opinion. Not to mention at the time of that poll 19 thousand people had singed up and participated in the User Feedback Program. You'll never find a poll on another website with that many participants, in regards to sprint. Then take into account on other sites, and here on waypoint, you get many people with multiple accounts posting the same thing over and over again to try and inflate the numbers to back their views on things.

At least with the User Feedback Program MS and 343 weeded those types out and only allowed participants over the age of 18 to join. If anything it's probably the most accurate poll results to date.
If the participants are selected behind the scenes due to some unknown criteria, then the sample base is unreliable. This is independent of the outcome, it's simple statistics. For all I know, if could be just as well biased against sprint, and the number of classic fans might be below 11%. FYI, I already conceded that the other polls aren't reliable either, due to low sample size, which is also independent of the outcome and purely statistics. Trust me, I know this stuff, I do these things at work on a daily basis...
Very valid points. Hence why I refer to the bigger potential playerbase. there is lots of overlap between Destiny and halo and COD and Halo contrary to what people say on here. Those games, obviously have sprint. Those crossover fans expect sprint. Those fans in combination with Halo fans that like sprint would almost have to be the huge majority. Go on any gaming website that has an article for a shooter say for Destiny and or COD and suggest it should not have sprint and see what kind of reaction you will get. You will get slammed with negative feedback. Sprint is here to stay.
God, this topic has been beaten to death. Just get over the fact that Sprint is here to stay in games today. Games have evolved & you have to evolve as a series to stay relevant sales wise regardless of if the small 15% of the crowd that is hardcore wants it or not. Developers that care about sales don't make their games super hardcore anymore, they try to market to the casual who don't care in the slightest. Nobody in today's day & age wants to walk around maps anymore. Plus, Sprint opens up the ability to chain moves together more fluidly.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 43