Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Sprint and why it is bad for Halo

OP Phoxniix

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 33
  4. 34
  5. 35
  6. 36
  7. 37
  8. ...
  9. 43
Entr0p1k wrote:
Entr0p1k wrote:
God this thread has given me a good chuckle. One guy is on a crusade to save Halo. Another guy thinks he has the penultimate authority to define true fans from casuals and another thinks only idiots could possible like Halo 5 and Sprint.

If I didn't just make up with Snickerdoodle.....ugh....okay okay nice face...

Anyhoo Sprint is great. Absolutely do not care what anyone else thinks about it. For every thread that speaks negatively about Halo 5 I am going to speak positively about it.

The thing that really boggles my mind is that fact that people who hate the game are so passionate about their hatred. They simply cannot let go of it. Two months in and they are still yapping about everything that is wrong with Halo 5. You know what I do when I play a game and I don't enjoy it? I stop playing that game. Now I know that might be a difficult concept to wrap your head around, but I firmly believe you disgruntled folks can do it. Rather than hijack every positive thread, or continue to beat a horse long since dead, why not move on to something that makes you happy?
I have. I play Destiny with all my old school Halo buddies. But CE will always be my favorite. So I visit the forums while I'm at work. Why don't you do something that makes you happy and leave this thread?
I'm sorry you said Destiny? The game where they cut content and re-sold it to you as DLC? No story at all? The game where they pushed out poor Marty only to then get smashed in court. The game where they just lost their senior developer to Bethesda? The game that was cut and pasted together with the vast majority of the DLC already pre-loaded on the disk? The game that created a pay wall with the Taken King and has now taken microtransactions to a whole new level with insta character level buffs?

Sorry I really can't post with you any longer. Every time you mention Desinty I burst into laughter. So you have fun over there listening to DeeJ spin his latest round of BS and I will be enjoying myself playing Halo 5.

As for this thread, waxing poetic about how much I love Halo 5 and how fantastic the new mechanics are, particularly Sprint, makes me supremely happy. So I think I will stick around.
So you freely admit to trolling then? At least you're an honest troll.

Destiny has been worth every penny. I wish I hadn't downloaded h5 otherwise I'd sell it. All that crap about Halo returning to its roots was a bunch of BS. H5 is a cheap Destiny knock off and Bungie does Destiny way better than 343. I bought H5 to play Halo and it is not Halo.
Entr0p1k wrote:
Entr0p1k wrote:
God this thread has given me a good chuckle. One guy is on a crusade to save Halo. Another guy thinks he has the penultimate authority to define true fans from casuals and another thinks only idiots could possible like Halo 5 and Sprint.

If I didn't just make up with Snickerdoodle.....ugh....okay okay nice face...

Anyhoo Sprint is great. Absolutely do not care what anyone else thinks about it. For every thread that speaks negatively about Halo 5 I am going to speak positively about it.

The thing that really boggles my mind is that fact that people who hate the game are so passionate about their hatred. They simply cannot let go of it. Two months in and they are still yapping about everything that is wrong with Halo 5. You know what I do when I play a game and I don't enjoy it? I stop playing that game. Now I know that might be a difficult concept to wrap your head around, but I firmly believe you disgruntled folks can do it. Rather than hijack every positive thread, or continue to beat a horse long since dead, why not move on to something that makes you happy?
I have. I play Destiny with all my old school Halo buddies. But CE will always be my favorite. So I visit the forums while I'm at work. Why don't you do something that makes you happy and leave this thread?
I'm sorry you said Destiny? The game where they cut content and re-sold it to you as DLC? No story at all? The game where they pushed out poor Marty only to then get smashed in court. The game where they just lost their senior developer to Bethesda? The game that was cut and pasted together with the vast majority of the DLC already pre-loaded on the disk? The game that created a pay wall with the Taken King and has now taken microtransactions to a whole new level with insta character level buffs?

Sorry I really can't post with you any longer. Every time you mention Desinty I burst into laughter. So you have fun over there listening to DeeJ spin his latest round of BS and I will be enjoying myself playing Halo 5.

As for this thread, waxing poetic about how much I love Halo 5 and how fantastic the new mechanics are, particularly Sprint, makes me supremely happy. So I think I will stick around.
So you freely admit to trolling then? At least you're an honest troll.

Destiny has been worth every penny. I wish I hadn't downloaded h5 otherwise I'd sell it. All that crap about Halo returning to its roots was a bunch of BS. H5 is a cheap Destiny knock off and Bungie does Destiny way better than 343. I bought H5 to play Halo and it is not Halo.
Trolling? Goodness no. Destiny IS garbage. I played it, realized it was trash and deleted it. How are those dedicated servers? Oh wait, Bungie doesn't have any!

Halo 5 is absolutely Halo. 343 have simply enhanced the Halo experience with the addition of Sprint, ADS, Jet Packs, Climbing, Ground Pound and Spartan Charge. It still feels like Halo, certainly looks like Halo, just has a few new bells and whistles. Oh and it is running at 1080p 60fps. What is Destiny running at again?
Entr0p1k wrote:
Entr0p1k wrote:
God this thread has given me a good chuckle. One guy is on a crusade to save Halo. Another guy thinks he has the penultimate authority to define true fans from casuals and another thinks only idiots could possible like Halo 5 and Sprint.

If I didn't just make up with Snickerdoodle.....ugh....okay okay nice face...

Anyhoo Sprint is great. Absolutely do not care what anyone else thinks about it. For every thread that speaks negatively about Halo 5 I am going to speak positively about it.

The thing that really boggles my mind is that fact that people who hate the game are so passionate about their hatred. They simply cannot let go of it. Two months in and they are still yapping about everything that is wrong with Halo 5. You know what I do when I play a game and I don't enjoy it? I stop playing that game. Now I know that might be a difficult concept to wrap your head around, but I firmly believe you disgruntled folks can do it. Rather than hijack every positive thread, or continue to beat a horse long since dead, why not move on to something that makes you happy?
I have. I play Destiny with all my old school Halo buddies. But CE will always be my favorite. So I visit the forums while I'm at work. Why don't you do something that makes you happy and leave this thread?
I'm sorry you said Destiny? The game where they cut content and re-sold it to you as DLC? No story at all? The game where they pushed out poor Marty only to then get smashed in court. The game where they just lost their senior developer to Bethesda? The game that was cut and pasted together with the vast majority of the DLC already pre-loaded on the disk? The game that created a pay wall with the Taken King and has now taken microtransactions to a whole new level with insta character level buffs?

Sorry I really can't post with you any longer. Every time you mention Desinty I burst into laughter. So you have fun over there listening to DeeJ spin his latest round of BS and I will be enjoying myself playing Halo 5.

As for this thread, waxing poetic about how much I love Halo 5 and how fantastic the new mechanics are, particularly Sprint, makes me supremely happy. So I think I will stick around.
So you freely admit to trolling then? At least you're an honest troll.

Destiny has been worth every penny. I wish I hadn't downloaded h5 otherwise I'd sell it. All that crap about Halo returning to its roots was a bunch of BS. H5 is a cheap Destiny knock off and Bungie does Destiny way better than 343. I bought H5 to play Halo and it is not Halo.
Sorry but did you call Halo a cheap destiny knock off? lmfao sorry just haha i mean i coughed my coke through my nose reading that
VV0NDERBOY wrote:
VV0NDERBOY wrote:
Ramir3z77 wrote:
If sprint was so good for halo like you 343 apologists claim then why has every halo game, including reach had fast population drops compared to halo games without sprint?
It's easy to put the blame on one new addition out of several, isn't it? Remember Armor Lock? Jet Pack? Active Camo off spawn and as a rechargeable ability? Or how about bloom? Halo 4's flinch and custom loadouts? Instant respawn and Armor Mods a la Perks? Need I go on?
Ironically the pro-sprint crowd does the exact same thing. They claim that Halo would die without sprint, that sprint is the only thing keeping Halo alive, and that sprint is the only thing that separates the new Halo games from "being Halo 2.5".

I do agree though that there's no real solid proof that a single mechanic is killing the franchise.
Hmm...haven't seen that first hand. If that's the case, then I think those people are really referring to the pace of Halo. Let's be real, the pace of the franchise has continued to slow down over time. Going back to 3 and Reach, it feels like you're crippled unless you hit a grav lift or have sprint as your AA. Even then. People want to get to the action faster. The whole point of Halo's combat is to shoot stuff dead. Is sprint the best way to get this done? Debatable. One could make the argument that upping base player speed is also a solution. Or by adding more grav lifts, teleporters, and/or vehicles. Perhaps we keep thrusters but get rid of sprint?

I personally don't mind sprint as it is in Halo 5. But I also don't think it's necessary for the franchise to remain viable. H2A was perfectly enjoyable for me. Halo 5 feels like that to me. Just with extra mobility. Is that extra mobility a bad thing? Again, debatable.
That's the thing though. While the population was booming, the overall pace of the game was, in fact, slowing. Halo 3 has a slower base movement speed than 2 and weapons went from hitscan to having a bullet travel time. Reach? It further slowed down base movement speed and lowered jump height. Hitscan returned, but many weapons suffered from damage nerfs (i.e. Halo 3's AR was a 16-shot to kill vs Reach's AR being a 19-shot to kill). Top that off with Armor Lock which could make a player completely invincible for several seconds and bloom throwing off a player's shots. Halo 5 seems very hectic because we've been getting slower and slower with each new title. We're now back to a pace more comparable to CE and 2.

On a side note, I have no problem if you personally enjoyed Reach. I too liked it for what it was, but I'd much prefer Halo 5 just from a core gameplay standpoint.
First off, thanks for a good, mature debate! That is an interesting thing you point out that while the pace of the game somewhat slowed, the population continued growing.

No problem! It does no one any good to hate on others who have differing opinions. We all have our own idea as to what's right for Halo. There's gonna be disagreements no matter what happens.

Honestly, the lowering of base movement speed in H3 was never a big factor for me. In fact, I doubt most people would have noticed it, including myself if it weren't for the forums and people doing game mechanics breakdown videos (I think a lot of people interpret a change as something bad because it's different). I didn't mind the shooting change either, it just took more skill, but was definitely harder to cope with in laggy games.

With Halo 3 being my first Halo, it wasn't a big deal for me either. Though as someone else in this thread pointed out, it was actually the FOV that made Halo 3 seem slower than 2. When their base movement speeds were actually the same. I didn't mind the travel time for bullets either. I quite liked it in fact (when it worked correctly).

Reach was the same. Since there were more new things implemented, there were more chances for people to not like something. But for the most part, there was more that people loved than the few things they disliked. And Reach definitely sped up the game by adding sprint, evade, jetpacks, new weapons, incredible forge capabilities so even map content sped up. I actually appreciated bloom, and it's still in many weapons in H5 today (and again I think most people don't like it because they only heard the "pros" initial reaction or don't really understand it). It restricted weapon spamming so you had to time your shots and actually use precision with the named precision weapons. It also disabled many modded controllers which plagued previous Halos with cheaters. I didn't like armor lock either, but liked that it was still fair and anyone could choose whatever they wanted. I liked the changing pace and the evolutions. My main gripe with Reach was the lack of competitive ranks, but I just had to learn how to find the competition myself in custom games and specific playlists.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. While things like Sprint, Evade, and Jetpacks could increase the pace of the game, they also detracted from it. People running away, dodging bullets, etc. And, as I said previously, the base movement speed was also reduced. I don't disagree on the Forge portion, but that's not what I'm getting at. Bloom also slowed the game. Restricting players to fire a weapon slower than its potential firing pace. I have no problem with bloom on automatics as it's just a visualization of the bullet spread, but I find it atrocious on precision weapons.

Overall, the games were both monstrously successful, not just at launch like the games we see today, but for many years later.

I don't disagree. And that's thanks in part to the community. Even when there were questionable and unfavorable changes being made, the community stuck through. Today though, we don't see that kind of loyalty. It makes you think for a moment. Is Halo changing really the main problem (I'm not saying it's not)? Or is it the attention span of its community? Have we gotten to the point that, when we see even one thing that turns us off, we run for the hills with no second look? The only thing I really disagree with is that Halo has been getting slower. Halo Reach through 5 have progressively got more faster. Halo 5 seems hectic because it has changed the most as far as speed. Not only can you constantly sprint, you can thrust, dodge, bash, ground pound, clamber, slide, etc. Not only can you do all these things but the weapons are also faster to kill and more powerful. The maps take much less time to get around. So while I would agree with you that certain aspects appear to be similar to classic Halo CE and 2, but certainly not the pace. The pace is much faster in H5.

Gonna disagree here. I already explained my reasons for Reach. Halo 4, while it did bring some things up to the increase the pace from Reach, still suffered from things that detracted from the game's pace. Infinite sprint with little to no downsides for using it being one. Allowing players to run away from an engagement very easily. Promethean Vision promoting shotgun campers. Halo 5's average weapon kill times are on par with CE and 2. And I guess that's what I'm ultimately getting at. Yes, I can see the argument that we're getting to the action faster than in any other Halo (despite certain maps being larger than older maps of a similar nature to compensate for sprint, thrusters, etc.). But the actual duration for each engagement is about the same as what we got in CE and 2.
h1nt0n wrote:
I like sprint. I prefer the change in game pace it has implemented a LOT. If we go back to no sprint I will quit Halo, as will a lot of people I believe. Sorry, but I forgot how much I hated it until I played MCC multiplayer.

I truly believe that about 50% of people are neutral about sprint, with about 30% pro- and 20% anti- sprint. I think the group that hates sprint is actually a VERY vocal minority, and I think it would be detrimental to the game to listen to a minority like that.
This is the same "minority" (which it isn't) that got ordnance, load outs, kill cams etc removed. Enjoy halo 5? Well then guess who you have to thank....
Have been playing Halo since Halo 3. Check my achievements before you make such stupid, condescending assumptions. I'm entitled to like whatever I like about Halo games. Just because you don't enjoy those things doesn't mean that no other true Halo fans liked them.

And you have no proof that you're in the majority either. People quit Halo for a TON of reasons, not just because of sprint. FAR more people have stopped playing Halo because of lack of content. You can't assume the entire population that quit would be on your side about sprint. Not even close.

If you don't like where Halo is going, quit playing. Good riddance.
Halo 5 is a lot better than 4 thanks to people who complained of gameplay changes on forums. The same people are complaining about a lack of content. You should thank them
You're correct in that. That twit just made me angry. I, myself, am active on here with the goal of giving feedback on what I think needs to be improved. I just strongly disagree that Halo HAS to go back to being a game where you can only walk around, crouch, shoot, and throw grenades. I cannot understand why some people want that so badly.

As someone mentioned on another thread, Halo's population has ACTUALLY been decreasing since Halo 3. You can't point to sprint as the only reason things have been going south for the franchise.
The main reason Halos population has been decreasing since H3 is that the momentum from CE was finally starting to run out. H5 was supposed to return Halo to its roots. But all it really did is copy Destiny.

Infinite sprint? Check!
Stabilizers? The perk in Destiny is called Angel of Light for a Warlock.
Spartan charge? Shoulder charge of a Titan.
Ground pound? Titan Fist of Havoc.

The only thing new about H5 is clamber. Which I'm sure was in another game.

Why copy other games? Halo had an identity nothing else had. And so many of you played it without sprint and apparently liked it enough to keep playing until now. Peoples first impression of a game never changes. Halo was a certain way for so long, what's the point in trying to copy other games? All you end up with is gaining a bunch of temporary casual fans and losing the longtime enthusiastic ones.
One problem with your argument. We knew these changes were coming before Destiny released. Before we had a complete list of perks for its classes. It's nothing more than coincidence. The Sprint series showed us they had these things running even as far back as early 2013.
h1nt0n wrote:
I like sprint. I prefer the change in game pace it has implemented a LOT. If we go back to no sprint I will quit Halo, as will a lot of people I believe. Sorry, but I forgot how much I hated it until I played MCC multiplayer.

I truly believe that about 50% of people are neutral about sprint, with about 30% pro- and 20% anti- sprint. I think the group that hates sprint is actually a VERY vocal minority, and I think it would be detrimental to the game to listen to a minority like that.
This is the same "minority" (which it isn't) that got ordnance, load outs, kill cams etc removed. Enjoy halo 5? Well then guess who you have to thank....
Have been playing Halo since Halo 3. Check my achievements before you make such stupid, condescending assumptions. I'm entitled to like whatever I like about Halo games. Just because you don't enjoy those things doesn't mean that no other true Halo fans liked them.

And you have no proof that you're in the majority either. People quit Halo for a TON of reasons, not just because of sprint. FAR more people have stopped playing Halo because of lack of content. You can't assume the entire population that quit would be on your side about sprint. Not even close.

If you don't like where Halo is going, quit playing. Good riddance.
Halo 5 is a lot better than 4 thanks to people who complained of gameplay changes on forums. The same people are complaining about a lack of content. You should thank them
You're correct in that. That twit just made me angry. I, myself, am active on here with the goal of giving feedback on what I think needs to be improved. I just strongly disagree that Halo HAS to go back to being a game where you can only walk around, crouch, shoot, and throw grenades. I cannot understand why some people want that so badly.

As someone mentioned on another thread, Halo's population has ACTUALLY been decreasing since Halo 3. You can't point to sprint as the only reason things have been going south for the franchise.
The main reason Halos population has been decreasing since H3 is that the momentum from CE was finally starting to run out. H5 was supposed to return Halo to its roots. But all it really did is copy Destiny.

Infinite sprint? Check!
Stabilizers? The perk in Destiny is called Angel of Light for a Warlock.
Spartan charge? Shoulder charge of a Titan.
Ground pound? Titan Fist of Havoc.

The only thing new about H5 is clamber. Which I'm sure was in another game.

Why copy other games? Halo had an identity nothing else had. And so many of you played it without sprint and apparently liked it enough to keep playing until now. Peoples first impression of a game never changes. Halo was a certain way for so long, what's the point in trying to copy other games? All you end up with is gaining a bunch of temporary casual fans and losing the longtime enthusiastic ones.
One problem with your argument. We knew these changes were coming before Destiny released. Before we had a complete list of perks for its classes. It's nothing more than coincidence. The Sprint series showed us they had these things running even as far back as early 2013.
These coincidences demonstrate just how homogenized the AAA market has gotten. Though in a weird bit of recurrence we're sliding back into the old days of PC gaming with bunny hopping, twitch shooting, and off-the-wall settings.
h1nt0n wrote:
I like sprint. I prefer the change in game pace it has implemented a LOT. If we go back to no sprint I will quit Halo, as will a lot of people I believe. Sorry, but I forgot how much I hated it until I played MCC multiplayer.

I truly believe that about 50% of people are neutral about sprint, with about 30% pro- and 20% anti- sprint. I think the group that hates sprint is actually a VERY vocal minority, and I think it would be detrimental to the game to listen to a minority like that.
This is the same "minority" (which it isn't) that got ordnance, load outs, kill cams etc removed. Enjoy halo 5? Well then guess who you have to thank....
Have been playing Halo since Halo 3. Check my achievements before you make such stupid, condescending assumptions. I'm entitled to like whatever I like about Halo games. Just because you don't enjoy those things doesn't mean that no other true Halo fans liked them.

And you have no proof that you're in the majority either. People quit Halo for a TON of reasons, not just because of sprint. FAR more people have stopped playing Halo because of lack of content. You can't assume the entire population that quit would be on your side about sprint. Not even close.

If you don't like where Halo is going, quit playing. Good riddance.
Halo 5 is a lot better than 4 thanks to people who complained of gameplay changes on forums. The same people are complaining about a lack of content. You should thank them
You're correct in that. That twit just made me angry. I, myself, am active on here with the goal of giving feedback on what I think needs to be improved. I just strongly disagree that Halo HAS to go back to being a game where you can only walk around, crouch, shoot, and throw grenades. I cannot understand why some people want that so badly.

As someone mentioned on another thread, Halo's population has ACTUALLY been decreasing since Halo 3. You can't point to sprint as the only reason things have been going south for the franchise.
The main reason Halos population has been decreasing since H3 is that the momentum from CE was finally starting to run out. H5 was supposed to return Halo to its roots. But all it really did is copy Destiny.

Infinite sprint? Check!
Stabilizers? The perk in Destiny is called Angel of Light for a Warlock.
Spartan charge? Shoulder charge of a Titan.
Ground pound? Titan Fist of Havoc.

The only thing new about H5 is clamber. Which I'm sure was in another game.

Why copy other games? Halo had an identity nothing else had. And so many of you played it without sprint and apparently liked it enough to keep playing until now. Peoples first impression of a game never changes. Halo was a certain way for so long, what's the point in trying to copy other games? All you end up with is gaining a bunch of temporary casual fans and losing the longtime enthusiastic ones.
One problem with your argument. We knew these changes were coming before Destiny released. Before we had a complete list of perks for its classes. It's nothing more than coincidence. The Sprint series showed us they had these things running even as far back as early 2013.
These coincidences demonstrate just how homogenized the AAA market has gotten. Though in a weird bit of recurrence we're sliding back into the old days of PC gaming with bunny hopping, twitch shooting, and off-the-wall settings.
Except Halo 5 and Destiny are 2 very different, distinct titles. Despite their similarities (which will continue to be drawn no matter what), they play very, VERY differently from one another.
Tyco wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
Marcos94 wrote:
DESTRUCC wrote:
Please no more sprint complaint threads. The naysayers are outnumbered by yaysayers. We like the speed of modern shooters.

You are really beating a dead horse.
Lol they really aren't. It's about half and half. But yeah, I'm sure 343i are already aware that a lot of people hate sprint, but they've made it clear that it's here to stay.
Sucks, but it's whatever. I personally hate sprint, but it's not the end of the world.
According to the User Feedback Program it's only 11% of people that hate sprint. Scroll down through the link and read, it's there. Many thousands of people participated in that poll too.

To sum it up, it's a very vocal minority that hates sprint.
https://m.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2pzc2m/poll_sprint_halo_do_you_like_that_sprint_was/

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/obtkns/sprint-and-halo

The majority are largely uninformed and will blindly praise anything that looks cool. I think 343 twists some numbers in their favor on top of bull PR brainwashing. Sprint was never asked for, nor was it EVER needed for Halo.
Fantastic look if your gonna start a revolution do us a favour and solve more pressing matters please, like world hunger and surveillance.
DESTRUCC wrote:
Please no more sprint complaint threads. The naysayers are outnumbered by yaysayers. We like the speed of modern shooters.

You are really beating a dead horse.
Agreed. Not having sprint in a modern shooter would make the movement of the game just feel somewhat dull, and of course, slow.
h1nt0n wrote:
I like sprint. I prefer the change in game pace it has implemented a LOT. If we go back to no sprint I will quit Halo, as will a lot of people I believe. Sorry, but I forgot how much I hated it until I played MCC multiplayer.

I truly believe that about 50% of people are neutral about sprint, with about 30% pro- and 20% anti- sprint. I think the group that hates sprint is actually a VERY vocal minority, and I think it would be detrimental to the game to listen to a minority like that.
This is the same "minority" (which it isn't) that got ordnance, load outs, kill cams etc removed. Enjoy halo 5? Well then guess who you have to thank....
Have been playing Halo since Halo 3. Check my achievements before you make such stupid, condescending assumptions. I'm entitled to like whatever I like about Halo games. Just because you don't enjoy those things doesn't mean that no other true Halo fans liked them.

And you have no proof that you're in the majority either. People quit Halo for a TON of reasons, not just because of sprint. FAR more people have stopped playing Halo because of lack of content. You can't assume the entire population that quit would be on your side about sprint. Not even close.

If you don't like where Halo is going, quit playing. Good riddance.
Halo 5 is a lot better than 4 thanks to people who complained of gameplay changes on forums. The same people are complaining about a lack of content. You should thank them
You're correct in that. That twit just made me angry. I, myself, am active on here with the goal of giving feedback on what I think needs to be improved. I just strongly disagree that Halo HAS to go back to being a game where you can only walk around, crouch, shoot, and throw grenades. I cannot understand why some people want that so badly.

As someone mentioned on another thread, Halo's population has ACTUALLY been decreasing since Halo 3. You can't point to sprint as the only reason things have been going south for the franchise.
The main reason Halos population has been decreasing since H3 is that the momentum from CE was finally starting to run out. H5 was supposed to return Halo to its roots. But all it really did is copy Destiny.

Infinite sprint? Check!
Stabilizers? The perk in Destiny is called Angel of Light for a Warlock.
Spartan charge? Shoulder charge of a Titan.
Ground pound? Titan Fist of Havoc.

The only thing new about H5 is clamber. Which I'm sure was in another game.

Why copy other games? Halo had an identity nothing else had. And so many of you played it without sprint and apparently liked it enough to keep playing until now. Peoples first impression of a game never changes. Halo was a certain way for so long, what's the point in trying to copy other games? All you end up with is gaining a bunch of temporary casual fans and losing the longtime enthusiastic ones.
One problem with your argument. We knew these changes were coming before Destiny released. Before we had a complete list of perks for its classes. It's nothing more than coincidence. The Sprint series showed us they had these things running even as far back as early 2013.
These coincidences demonstrate just how homogenized the AAA market has gotten. Though in a weird bit of recurrence we're sliding back into the old days of PC gaming with bunny hopping, twitch shooting, and off-the-wall settings.
Except Halo 5 and Destiny are 2 very different, distinct titles. Despite their similarities (which will continue to be drawn no matter what), they play very, VERY differently from one another.
It's pretty much impossible to make a new Halo game and not copy others games ideas. If you're looking for something completely new copying nobodies ideas, you're not going to find it. Halo did a good job at sticking to it's roots this game. Both in campaign and multiplayer. Not too much is going on, as I thought was going to happen.
Yea being a first time halo player I notice the difference and I totally agree with you
I love having the sprint ability. I especially love the ability to go into a slide from sprint and clearing out a few surprised enemies.
Meh, I don't care one way or another about Sprint. I beat Halo 1 & 2 on Legendary on the Original Xbox without Sprinting, same with Halo 3 & ODST on the 360. However, it makes sense that we can Sprint, since we are Spartan super soldiers! If anything, I would rather have sprint than those thruster packs we always have to have now, though
The game is so much better with Sprint. Take out sprint and the Spartan abilities and this game would flop. Not many people want to play Halo 2 1080p 60 fps with new maps. Go play the MCC if you're so bent out of shape.
Teamako wrote:
h1nt0n wrote:
I like sprint. I prefer the change in game pace it has implemented a LOT. If we go back to no sprint I will quit Halo, as will a lot of people I believe. Sorry, but I forgot how much I hated it until I played MCC multiplayer.

I truly believe that about 50% of people are neutral about sprint, with about 30% pro- and 20% anti- sprint. I think the group that hates sprint is actually a VERY vocal minority, and I think it would be detrimental to the game to listen to a minority like that.
This is the same "minority" (which it isn't) that got ordnance, load outs, kill cams etc removed. Enjoy halo 5? Well then guess who you have to thank....
Have been playing Halo since Halo 3. Check my achievements before you make such stupid, condescending assumptions. I'm entitled to like whatever I like about Halo games. Just because you don't enjoy those things doesn't mean that no other true Halo fans liked them.

And you have no proof that you're in the majority either. People quit Halo for a TON of reasons, not just because of sprint. FAR more people have stopped playing Halo because of lack of content. You can't assume the entire population that quit would be on your side about sprint. Not even close.

If you don't like where Halo is going, quit playing. Good riddance.
Halo 5 is a lot better than 4 thanks to people who complained of gameplay changes on forums. The same people are complaining about a lack of content. You should thank them
You're correct in that. That twit just made me angry. I, myself, am active on here with the goal of giving feedback on what I think needs to be improved. I just strongly disagree that Halo HAS to go back to being a game where you can only walk around, crouch, shoot, and throw grenades. I cannot understand why some people want that so badly.

As someone mentioned on another thread, Halo's population has ACTUALLY been decreasing since Halo 3. You can't point to sprint as the only reason things have been going south for the franchise.
The main reason Halos population has been decreasing since H3 is that the momentum from CE was finally starting to run out. H5 was supposed to return Halo to its roots. But all it really did is copy Destiny.

Infinite sprint? Check!
Stabilizers? The perk in Destiny is called Angel of Light for a Warlock.
Spartan charge? Shoulder charge of a Titan.
Ground pound? Titan Fist of Havoc.

The only thing new about H5 is clamber. Which I'm sure was in another game.

Why copy other games? Halo had an identity nothing else had. And so many of you played it without sprint and apparently liked it enough to keep playing until now. Peoples first impression of a game never changes. Halo was a certain way for so long, what's the point in trying to copy other games? All you end up with is gaining a bunch of temporary casual fans and losing the longtime enthusiastic ones.
One problem with your argument. We knew these changes were coming before Destiny released. Before we had a complete list of perks for its classes. It's nothing more than coincidence. The Sprint series showed us they had these things running even as far back as early 2013.
These coincidences demonstrate just how homogenized the AAA market has gotten. Though in a weird bit of recurrence we're sliding back into the old days of PC gaming with bunny hopping, twitch shooting, and off-the-wall settings.
Except Halo 5 and Destiny are 2 very different, distinct titles. Despite their similarities (which will continue to be drawn no matter what), they play very, VERY differently from one another.
It's pretty much impossible to make a new Halo game and not copy others games ideas. If you're looking for something completely new copying nobodies ideas, you're not going to find it. Halo did a good job at sticking to it's roots this game. Both in campaign and multiplayer. Not too much is going on, as I thought was going to happen.
From a general gameplay standpoint, I'd agree. The game feels tight and focused. Which is part of what I liked about the original trilogy.
Sprint is perfect for Halo of all shooters I think. It's definitely not unfair, plus it I feel it was much needed. Does it not make sense for 26th century enhanced super soldiers to be able to sprint? Come on, I mean it makes game play much more enjoyable anyways and with sprint comes bigger map sizes anyways.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
Quote:


Quote:
While the population was booming, the overall pace of the game was, in fact, slowing.
Definitely true. Which is why I find it asinine that people keep saying the game has "CoD killtimes" when the killtimes are right between Ce and 2. They've been conditioned by Halo 3 and Halo Reach.

You are right that it doesn't have CoD kill times, yet. However, the thing that many people overlook, are not just the changes made from Halo CE, but the purposes and reasoning behind such evolutions. We weren't "conditioned" to the pace or speed of Halo Reach. It was what Halo had become and evolved into. And the way you can tell these were logical evolutions is by the acceptance and reception of the game's audience, which was stated as booming.

It would be illogical then, if in the process of creating Halo 4, the franchise had decided to do away with all the evolutions and recreate Halo CE in its original form with new maps. The evolution of Halo has such depth and meaning. It's complicated. Yet it gets so overlooked in modern Halo. And that's why the game has struggled so much compared to earlier versions in terms of longevity. It's not because the game is "worn out." That's the reason it evolves in the first place, so it changes in an exciting way that keeps it entertaining, yet purposeful. It's a real world concept. Everything around us has evolved, whether successfully or not, including ourselves.

It's like an essay we've been working on for 15 years. Halo CE was the idea or outline. And it was a great idea that we were stoked to build off of, even though it was still a new concept, we just wanted to get the original idea on paper. Halo 2 was really the first draft. We built on that first idea and grew it from an outline to a draft. There were still lots of spelling errors and sentence structure problems, but it was beginning to come together. Halo 3 was the second draft. It fixed a lot of problems that were in the first draft and tied up a lot of loose ends. And then in the third draft (HR) we fine tuned a few remaining things and maybe even rewrote some items that needed something more. But say the teacher might not have preferred a few of the things we added so we got a little nervous from constructive criticism, even though most of the students still loved it overall.
So in the 4th draft (H4) we asked a friend to look at the paper, but instead of fixing it they further changed things in illogical ways and completely revised it based on their own opinion, not being connected with the original concept. And the 4th draft messed everything up so bad that we couldn't undo some of it for the final draft, when attempting to revert things back to what we remembered from the original drafts.

So now you're kind of disappointed in what you have to turn in to the teacher, because yes you finished something and put a lot of work into it, but it's not quite where you wanted it to be.
Marcos94 wrote:
DESTRUCC wrote:
Willko wrote:
Sprint works in tactical shooters that are built around short killtimes. In games like that, it really comes down to "whoever sees the other guy first gets the kill". That is not Halo's playstyle, and has never been Halo's playstyle(aside from the SWAT playlist). Sprint does not belong in the Halo franchise. It was added in to try to ease the transition from games like CoD and Battlefield into Halo. The problem is that it is a two-way street. It also eases the transition away from Halo and toward games like CoD and Battlefield, where mechanics like sprint work better.
Sprint is nothing short of Required when playing halo, other wise, you'd have to remove Spartan charge and slide which both adds to the mobility of your character. There are soo many penalties in place for sprinters that its basically a negative attribute at this point, however; if its removed, the only movement halo would have is walking and jumping, no prone, no slide, no Spartan charge and the only people willing to play that way are those 11 %.

Willko wrote:
Sprint works in tactical shooters that are built around short killtimes. In games like that, it really comes down to "whoever sees the other guy first gets the kill". That is not Halo's playstyle, and has never been Halo's playstyle(aside from the SWAT playlist). Sprint does not belong in the Halo franchise. It was added in to try to ease the transition from games like CoD and Battlefield into Halo. The problem is that it is a two-way street. It also eases the transition away from Halo and toward games like CoD and Battlefield, where mechanics like sprint work better.
Lol they really aren't. It's about half and half. But yeah, I'm sure 343i are already aware that a lot of people hate sprint, but they've made it clear that it's here to stay.
Sucks, but it's whatever. I personally hate sprint, but it's not the end of the world.
Phoxniix wrote:
Sprint is a very controversial topic and I am fully aware of the effects which sprint has on Halos Gameplay.First of all,let us have a look at sprint in h4 and sprint in h5.In h4,sprint had very little downsides compared to h5s counterpart and people say that they have made sprint a lot less worse in h5 since they have balanced it with a bunch of penalties but that is just the problem right there. they have just made it not as bad as it was in h4, it does not add anything to the gameplay other than creating an illusion.

You see,people's complaints were that they wanted to go fast in video games but do you notice that the maps in both h4 and h5 are kind of more,bloated?Where there is a lot more space than necessary?My friend,this is the implications of sprint as in order to accommodate for sprint,they must makes the map bigger which I turn only creates the illusion that you are moving fast but in all reality you aren't really.This is why maps such as Gaurdian cannot be remade as it would just not be the same map because Of sprint and it would just be chaos.

Another big example in my eyes would be Warlock(Can't remember the h2c version so I'm going with that).That map would have to become a lot bigger in order to sprint to be balanced but then that removes what me that map was special in the first place!People would be spawning running across the map and back smacking people if there was sprint on h2c or h2a sized warlord

This is just one of the problems of sprint in Halo,and ask yourself this,What does sprint actually add to the gameplay for you in Halo?
Your gripe is that sprint is an illusion to speed. have you thought maybe that sprint adds an extra dimension to the game play mechanics other than getting from point a to point b? there being different speeds is necessary to the evolving modern fps
Sprint to me adds a way to get away from and around enemies for better kills and to help open up the field so i can help my team.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 33
  4. 34
  5. 35
  6. 36
  7. 37
  8. ...
  9. 43