Skip to main content
The xp gains need to be altered or the amount of xp required to level up needs to be lowered at higher ranks, 700,000xp is a ridiculously inflated, with the souls purpose being to get people to spend money on the game.. a 5 year old game might I add. At these higher levels its almost impossible to continue to advance in a manner that actually feels satisfying without spending money on do boosts or packs, and at this rate anyone trying to get to SR152 by the launch of halo infinite better be well over a 100 by now or ready to dish out a Whopping amount of cash. An alternative to all of this is simply 3x xp events in specific modes on select weekends, player population would at the very least see a jump from a move like this plus it wouldn’t make those who are unable or unwilling to spend more cash on the game feel less alienated. If you feel the same or maybe even differ in opinion comment and upvote this is an issue that needs attention.
It only seems like a lot of XP if you’re trying to crunch it all into a small amount of time.
The game has been out for over 5 years - the idea
is that players level up over time and not just power level through.

At this point in the game nothing will be getting changed. Hate to say it but you’ve just got to deal with it like everyone else does.

152 is earned, you want to get there then you’ve got to play a lot of the game.

Edit: Spelling changes, wrote this whilst half asleep.
If we were talking about cosmetics, I’d agree with you because the REQ system is clearly designed to exploit players. But, we’re talking about XP and the system in H5 requires that you simply play. There is almost no difference in the amount of XP you gain between first and last place, something that can be looked at as a positive or a negative.

Like Don said above, you have to deal with it. Imagine telling the 152s who reached max rank with far fewer double XP events and Legendary boosts that their time and dedication to the game was wasted when they played the game. The idea behind the rewards in Infinite is to recognize those who were dedicated to the game from its early years, not to hand out just another cosmetic to everyone. Play the game and you’ll reach 152. It only makes sense to play if you like the game, or at least enough to keep playing until you hit 152.
No disrespect but if you are getting frustrated doing 700,000, good luck doing any of the higher levels after 146 as the xp requirements exponentially increase into the several millions. You have to earn the max rank in this game.
The xp gains need to be altered or the amount of xp required to level up needs to be lowered at higher ranks, 700,000xp is a ridiculously inflated, with the souls purpose being to get people to spend money on the game.. a 5 year old game might I add. At these higher levels its almost impossible to continue to advance in a manner that actually feels satisfying without spending money on do boosts or packs, and at this rate anyone trying to get to SR152 by the launch of halo infinite better be well over a 100 by now or ready to dish out a Whopping amount of cash. An alternative to all of this is simply 3x xp events in specific modes on select weekends, player population would at the very least see a jump from a move like this plus it wouldn’t make those who are unable or unwilling to spend more cash on the game feel less alienated. If you feel the same or maybe even differ in opinion comment and upvote this is an issue that needs attention.
If you think 700,000xp is bad, get ready after you get to 147 or above, where the remaining 40 million xp is shared between 147 and 152
If you think 700,000xp is bad, get ready after you get to 147 or above, where the remaining 40 million xp is shared between 147 and 152
“40 million xp is shared between 147 and 152” is a scary and intimidating sequence of words lol.. but it’s true and I respect that, that is a dedicated grind to earn 152
You're absolutely right... the game is 5 years old and you should have hit 152 by now. Like the Don said, you're not meant to make 152 over night... this is a game that is supposed to be played and enjoyed over time. Not only will 343 not be doing 3x xp, but I can almost guarantee they won't make any changes to the xp levels either. They won't risk alienating the true Halo fans that have been playing it since it came out. I just got into multiplayer on Halo 5 in July, and that was because we saw xbox live as an extravagance we couldn't afford. I'm 1 million into 149, yes it's a struggle now... but hey... it is what it is and this is what I have to do to make 152 by Infinite. I would like them to do something, but I know they won't because they're not going to cheapen it for everyone else who's already earned it. And you don't have to buy req packs... you earn RP through playing matches, plus, if you do some digging, there's a chrome extension that can help you sell your unwanted reqs in bulk to get even more RP for whatever you deem fit. I haven't spent any cash on the game... yet (i'm looking to get the voices and classic helmet pack at some point just to complete everything)... I don't see a problem here. Tons of people are upset that the grind is hard and 343 needs to make it easier. No... no they don't... at this point in the life of the game, you just need to do the best you can and enjoy the game for what it is...
The XP curve is ridiculous, but it just depends how you look at it while doing it. Those level ups are encouraging but when there aren't any it makes it more difficult. Try imagining the XP curve being somewhat reasonable ie more levels, I found it made the grind just a tad easier.
TheDonCJG wrote:
It only seems like a lot of XP if you’re trying to crunch it all into a small amount of time.
The game has been out for over 5 years - the idea
is that players level up over time and not just power level through.

At this point in the game nothing will be getting changed. Hate to say it but you’ve just got to deal with it like everyone else does.

152 is earned, you want to get there then you’ve got to play a lot of the game.

Edit: Spelling changes, wrote this whilst half asleep.
Gonna have to agree with this here. While I think the max rank system was horribly designed and not very rewarding, the 5+ years that 343 gave us was plenty of time, even if you haven't been playing consistently since launch might I add.
“40 million xp is shared between 147 and 152” is a scary and intimidating sequence of words lol.. but it’s true and I respect that, that is a dedicated grind to earn 152
Yea it’s setting in bud, half way through 145 and am starting to hate the game more and more and more and more, such repetitive -Yoink-.
You are level 145, if you grind out 100 - 150k per day you can make it with change.
Time Is Not Of Issue (Personally), Unfair Nature Towards Players Xp All In Effort To Sell Req Pack. That Is Issue
When you get all the Reqs done, you get 6k back in points so it doesn't take long to get a gold pack.
tuhin94 wrote:
If we were talking about cosmetics, I’d agree with you because the REQ system is clearly designed to exploit players. But, we’re talking about XP and the system in H5 requires that you simply play. There is almost no difference in the amount of XP you gain between first and last place, something that can be looked at as a positive or a negative.

Like Don said above, you have to deal with it. Imagine telling the 152s who reached max rank with far fewer double XP events and Legendary boosts that their time and dedication to the game was wasted when they played the game. The idea behind the rewards in Infinite is to recognize those who were dedicated to the game from its early years, not to hand out just another cosmetic to everyone. Play the game and you’ll reach 152. It only makes sense to play if you like the game, or at least enough to keep playing until you hit 152.
No offense mate but relating to this
Imagine telling the 152s who reached max rank with far fewer double XP events and Legendary boosts that their time and dedication to the game were wasted when they played the game. The idea behind the rewards in Infinite is to recognize those who were dedicated to the game from its early years, not to hand out just another cosmetic to everyone. Play the game and you’ll reach 152. It only makes sense to play if you like the game, or at least enough to keep playing until you hit 152.

Imagine being the player or players actually caring anymore about how you have earned your stripes in a game that is close to 6 years old, I bet that most players who earned max rank stopped playing and never came back. They shouldn't care they put in the work they know how they earned it so that's all that should matter they shouldn't care how others got it but everyone has their own opinion I guess.

EX I and many others earned our recon through doing the vidmasters but other players were given it as a handout. I and all the others I've played with in the multiple discords did we with care? Nah Because we know how we earned our reward so. Also, same in H5 I, and all the discord beat all campaigns on legendary to get helio did any of us get upset that players could just get it through req packs without putting in the work? Nope

Everyone has their own opinion and point of view and I will not try to change that

Back to the op though I do agree with you but we know a change won't happen you'll just have to power through
tuhin94 wrote:

No offense mate but relating to this
Imagine telling the 152s who reached max rank with far fewer double XP events and Legendary boosts that their time and dedication to the game were wasted when they played the game. The idea behind the rewards in Infinite is to recognize those who were dedicated to the game from its early years, not to hand out just another cosmetic to everyone. Play the game and you’ll reach 152. It only makes sense to play if you like the game, or at least enough to keep playing until you hit 152.

Imagine being the player or players actually caring anymore about how you have earned your stripes in a game that is close to 6 years old, I bet that most players who earned max rank stopped playing and never came back. They shouldn't care they put in the work they know how they earned it so that's all that should matter they shouldn't care how others got it but everyone has their own opinion I guess.

EX I and many others earned our recon through doing the vidmasters but other players were given it as a handout. I and all the others I've played with in the multiple discords did we with care? Nah Because we know how we earned our reward so. Also, same in H5 I, and all the discord beat all campaigns on legendary to get helio did any of us get upset that players could just get it through req packs without putting in the work? Nope

Everyone has their own opinion and point of view and I will not try to change that

Back to the op though I do agree with you but we know a change won't happen you'll just have to power through
Wait there is going to be a reward in infinite for getting 152 in H5??? I’m 136 right now... I know it’s a grind but do you think I still have time? I never used any xp boost because didn’t see the point in a high SR at the time but if there is a cosmetic in the new game I may start using all those boosts.
While I can agree it would be nice for the xp to be a bit more evenly distributed it is not impossible by any means to level up. I do get a chuckle out of those complaining how hard it is to get to 152 by the time infinite releases. There has been plenty of time it's just that some are trying to cram xp simply because of a coating in Infinite, a coating that doesn't look that good I might add. If the coating wasn't a thing none of these complaints would be made. If you think the xp grind is bad in H5 come on over to MCC and check it out. To me the xp grind should be really long. It gives us really dedicated players something to go for. I hated what a joke the H4 system was, you could max it out in a month if you wanted too.
LethalQ wrote:
While I can agree it would be nice for the xp to be a bit more evenly distributed it is not impossible by any means to level up. I do get a chuckle out of those complaining how hard it is to get to 152 by the time infinite releases. There has been plenty of time it's just that some are trying to cram xp simply because of a coating in Infinite, a coating that doesn't look that good I might add. If the coating wasn't a thing none of these complaints would be made. If you think the xp grind is bad in H5 come on over to MCC and check it out. To me the xp grind should be really long. It gives us really dedicated players something to go for. I hated what a joke the H4 system was, you could max it out in a month if you wanted too.
You do realize in halo 4 you had the mountain dew and doritos ,2xp promotion right? That's why it was so much quicker to max out in H4
LethalQ wrote:
You do realize in halo 4 you had the mountain dew and doritos ,2xp promotion right? That's why it was so much quicker to max out in H4
I didn't use any of those and still maxed it out in a couple months.
LethalQ wrote:
This wasn't the main reason why it was considered to be relatively easy to rank up in Halo 4. The main reason was relatively high xp payouts in proportion to the xp requirements for the final rank. The ranking system in Halo 4 could in essence be split into 50 main ranks and 8 specializations with 10 additional ranks for each specialization.

The xp requirements for SR50 in Halo 4 is a bit less than 900k and the xp requirements to complete each individual specialization was approximately 340k. This did essentially result in only 3.6 million xp required for reaching the final rank. Another bonus was that Spartan Ops and Custom Games provided a fairly reasonable xp payout similar in size to the cR payouts in Halo Reach matchmaking which meant that you could AFK the xp.
LethalQ wrote:
This wasn't the main reason why it was considered to be relatively easy to rank up in Halo 4. The main reason was relatively high xp payouts in proportion to the xp requirements for the final rank. The ranking system in Halo 4 could in essence be split into 50 main ranks and 8 specializations with 10 additional ranks for each specialization.

The xp requirements for SR50 in Halo 4 is a bit less than 900k and the xp requirements to complete each individual specialization was approximately 340k. This did essentially result in only 3.6 million xp required for reaching the final rank. Another bonus was that Spartan Ops and Custom Games provided a fairly reasonable xp payout similar in size to the cR payouts in Halo Reach matchmaking which meant that you could AFK the xp.
Well on top of the 2xp you had spartan ops which gave a good chunk of XP each completion

Also H4 was the first game 343 got to touch