2. ...
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. 12
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. ...
  9. 15
My grievances are with the story. And while I don't know why they chose a writer whose work was poorly received in the past, I know Brian Reed wasn't working alone under a rock the whole time. There was a whole writing team that allowed H5's travesty of a narrative to progress beyond just words and ideas in a conference room. The MP can be fixed, built upon, and continually tinkered post-launch, but the campaign experience, the story, cannot.

With HtT and the solid novels released this year, I was so pro-343 and I had a ton of faith in them before the game, but I was severely disappointed with this campaign--and I am definitely not alone. I really encourage 343 to listen to the criticisms of Halo 5's narrative structure, and start planning now to fix these issues for Halo 6.
your forgetting one thing, it was a Gen swap they built the engine from the ground up
Time and time again I see this brought up. So what if it was a generation swap? As far as I am informed, last gen was more difficult to code for as it was based on PowerPC architecture, while new gen is basically a slightly modified x86-64; an instruction set most PC's use. Since the architecture is so similar, their development tools should basically allow a smooth transition from anything on PC to the console.

Besides, why does any exclusive PC game or any decent PC port not have engine problems with the 60fps target? Many games function the same whetehr they are running at 20 fps or 120 fps. People speculate that everything in Halo 5 is tied around the 60fps, which is a sign of poor game engine design much alike Skyrim or the Mafia games. Why did they have to create a new engine; why would it be so problematic to use existing and respectable engines? As far as I know, the only engine feature that they really had to work on was the dynamic resolution to sustain the 60 fps target; all the other graphical features in H5 were already supported by previous Halo engines.
Richnj wrote:
I used to be pro-343 but now im on the fence.

I don't think that they are purposefully holding stuff back to drip feed us and pretend its new content, like most people do.
I genuinly think that the game just wasn't finished on time. So it makes you wonder what they spend all the time doing?

MCC was a pretty big undertaking, and I feel that if they had just left it as H2A and added the other campaigns as DLC over time, it would have A) probably not been so messed up and B) given them more time to work on Halo 5.

I would have been 100% behind 343 if they had decided to push Halo 5 back to say March this year, which would have given them time to make sure the game worked properly, had all the features that we expect to work, like a file browser, and it would also have given them time to rework the ad campaign to match the new story, because its pretty clear that they threw the orginal out the window half way through development.

All of this mirrors what MS did with the XBOX One, a new console with all these flashy new ideas, but failed to maintain some of the key features that the 360 had been perfecting over the last 8 or so years, primarily the ease of access and usability of the UI haha!
If I was a betting man I'd say it was this new engine they had built. They couldn't build anything until the engine was finished. I bet MS laid down clear guildlines that this new engine had to be online/cloud intensive and that again would have took more time to figure out how to do that.

Halo 5's over reliance on cloud gaming (to an absolute fault that REQs and therefore Forge and customs don't work offline) and the graphics of Halo 5 being spotty (odd animations and short draw distance) give me the impression that they were either once again given a task (build a new engine like this) way too late or that they weren't up to and they scrambled to do the job.

Much of 343i's failings have come down to mismanagement. Either from MS or 343i higher ups, could be either or both. MCC and Halo 5 both bare the marks of being rushed and not fully planned out. Things missing or being broken or badly designed. So where as Halo 4 was badly designed but working in all those poor design choices. MCC and Halo 5 were great in principle but badly executed.

So again, I blame poor management. 343i had tasks they couldn't complete, and a deadline that should have been but wasn't moved back. Time and time again you'll see all the problems can be boiled down to that.
Well your bet about Microsoft and their Cloud could be right because they are doing every SH.. Cloud based. And they dont seem to See the Problem that come with that.
Ok guys, seriously?

Give them some -Yoinking!- TIME to do their work. Stop continuously -Yoinking!- about the same thing over and over. THEY GET IT. and they are probably sorting things out for the next build.

STOP BEING -Yoinks!- AND LEARN PATIENCE. it is a very rare virtue now days it seems. especially with the younger generations and their understanding that information is mere thumb-taps away.
Sorry man but there is just simply no excusing a game that is this barren of features
three years......they had three years and the game launched without btb forge theatre file share (still don't have a decent working one) and the list goes on and on
maybe you can defend that, but I can't

but it he it's ok because they are going to give us all the things they removed from halo back to us as "free dlc"
Fair enough, but continuously flooding the forums with the same rhetoric over and over and over isn't going to get them to fix any of these issues faster.

And yea, I 110% agree they need to follow in the footsteps of Halo 3 when it comes to the innovation of Theater, Forge, and File Sharing. Not to mention Custom Game features. Yes, I agree, they have seemed to be very lazy in their development process, and their lack of community communication doesn't help either.

My main concern right now is the GOD-AWFUL control scheme of Forge. Good grief they couldn't at least let us customize the button layout? Why didn't they take the Halo 3/4/Reach controls and add the extra features? Where is the UNDO feature that has been asked for since Forge saw life? Why didn't they add AI to Forge? Again a feature asked about since Halo 3 Forge. Why does it take a modding community to add features to a game ESPECIALLY when developers SEE these mods and the potential success that they would add to the game?

I agree, the game is FAR from finished, but like I said, they are WORKING ON IT. They do in fact read the forums, and they do know what the players are asking, but it doesn't help matters when a bunch of crybabies come to the forums complaining about OTHER players' behavior (quitting) or things that have been mentioned MANY MANY times over (Custom GameTypes, Ranking system fixes, weapon nerfing, the list goes on).

I can just look at the front page of this forum and see numerous threads about the same topics.
Actually, that's what I imagine is EXACTLY what people need to do. Maybe not be a "crybaby" as you put it, but people commenting on the same issues over and over is what gets attention. I don't care if every post on here is about someone wanting a permanent doubles playlist. Matter of fact, I would love that because I do too! I hope more people speak up for the problems that are causing this game to die as fast as their other games. I enjoy seeing topics reappear if they're not communicated by 343 and I hope they forever do until they get it right and learn how to operate a game studio in a way that will make the fans happy. Power to the player!
Couldn't Phil Spencer just get a new studio to get Halo franchise right?
I just find it odd that a professional studio can make so many mistakes, then expect us to keep trusting them.
It's been clear that the general fan-base hasn't been happy with the current work of 343i in managing Halo's IP.
First they messed up Halo 4 (which I let pass since they were a new studio), then they got a lot of flack for it then they broke MCC and even got plenty of people threatening lawsuits over how broken it was, then they released Halo 5 which is also partly broken and lacks a lot of content that most people expect as standard content.

Makes me wonder if Microsoft should continue gambling with 343i since it's clear that since they took over that anything Halo related has been declined in population. I'm really having a hard time understanding what 343i are thinking most of the time like removing split-screen or ignoring mega-threads where people have been asking for playable Elites again. I've played Halo since the IP first started and played them all but the way 343i is taking the IP makes me concerned, worried for Halo 6 and Halo Wars 2.
Ok guys, seriously?

Give them some -Yoinking!- TIME to do their work. Stop continuously -Yoinking!- about the same thing over and over. THEY GET IT. and they are probably sorting things out for the next build.

STOP BEING -Yoinks!- AND LEARN PATIENCE. it is a very rare virtue now days it seems. especially with the younger generations and their understanding that information is mere thumb-taps away.
They had three years, thats plenty of time.
exactly. love these 343 fanboys that just defend 343 at all costs. we will not be patient when we are paying customers. 343 are not our friends, this is a business and we expect a higher standard as their customers. this forum is dedicated to constructive criticism. If you don't like people expressing their opinion don't read the forums. Especially don't start calling people names because they voice an opinion that you don't agree with.

343 has been so lazy. only 6 permanent playlists currently in team arena. no split screen. all forge maps for BTB. All sorts of useless added content with new armors and visors (who cares !!!). Very few quality maps. No forge at launch. bad game lobby. all in all the game does not look that impressive to me. the campaign was too short. when i compare the multiplayer maps to other FPS maps i just can't believe the lack of detail in halo 5.

after the MCC i would've hoped they learned their lesson. Seems they will continue to put forth as little effort as possible. I hope more people continue to voice their concerns so that 343 knows we as consumers expect the highest standard possible. We demand more.
half the maps are not even designed that well, they are "forged made" not even 100% effort
Sadly, this is one instance where negativity is well justified.

The MCC was arguably the worst video game launch of all time. It still doesn't really work in a party.

Halo 5, a functional core game, is bereft of features and content. It's really sad to me. With the req system being such a big part of the game, how are there only 4 warzone maps? Why are big team maps only forged? Remixes of existing maps = lazy.

I just...I play the game and enjoy it, but it's hard to some days. Especially when you've played very game-type rich Halo titles like halo 2 (they actually had to remove several because there were just so many), and then titles with a bevy of features and content like Halo 3 and Reach (hated reach but I will concede it had good unlocks and such).

It's a particular kick in the face in the aspect that Halo 5 feels like 2 steps backwards in terms of content. Game-play it's superior to 4, but content wise...

If halo 5 doesn't shape up considerably in the next 2 months then it will unfortunately be another stain on an already flat out bad track record of 343i at this point.
Lets not forget about the misleading campaign, the FALSE ADVERTISING in so many of their trailers.
Syntherios wrote:
I just find it odd that Halo 4 had so much stuff packed into it (every popular Halo gametype, a solid, coherent campaign, Spartan Ops, Forge at launch) yet Halo 5 is dry as a bone. The campaign was a half-baked mess, no Infection/Grifball/KOTH/Assault/etc., no PvE mode a la Firefight or SpOps, and an overcomplicated, bug-filled Forge that wasn't even ready at launch. Three years of development time? I CAN'T TELL.
With Halo 5 being the better game it is very ironic for it to have less content than Halo 4, which wasn't nearly as good.(Opinion)
I think what they've been doing so far is great, keep it up 343!
I hate to pile on but these FORGE maps scream LAZY.

When I heard all DLC was going to be free for Halo 5 I was super stoked. Now that I realize they will all be forged and remixed it doesn't really seem like free DLC any longer.

I'll gladly pay to have original maps please
Lets not forget about the misleading campaign, the FALSE ADVERTISING in so many of their trailers.
This too. I was beyond pumped for this climatic Chief vs Locke, Chief being a traitor storyline. Then to read about what it actually turned out to be was so disappointing that I have no interest in playing the campaign.
I hate to pile on but these FORGE maps scream LAZY.

When I heard all DLC was going to be free for Halo 5 I was super stoked. Now that I realize they will all be forged and remixed it doesn't really seem like free DLC any longer.

I'll gladly pay to have original maps please
See, the forge maps, they should be supplementary along with real, original effort maps that should encompass the main "free" dlc.

Making maps with an editor the the general public also has access to and releasing it like official content is pretty much complete BS.

I can't think of any other game developer to really try something as brazen as this to be honest.
343 better read this and take the communities constructive criticism.

Their actions are a joke and all they do is draw the lazy improvise card rather than the improvement or effort card.

And to put the icing on the cake, all the negative feedback is filtered out and nothing gets done and no negative feedback is taken into consideration.

Hint: South Park Safe Space episode. This is why nothing gets done here.

Halo used to be big, now its become a grind-fest, minus the wealth of content Halo used to have...
If I could describe 343i with a single word, that word would be "lazy" everything about their games H4 MCC H5, all of it just feels lazy
Quoted for truth.
Three years dev time and what to show? Every area of the game is lacking.
I Wish we received a studio which actually cared for the franchise and fans.
Bungie left it for dead.... sadly no one cares
I'm pretty sure 343i is working on the issue right now and that they will get back to us asap. You guys need to learn some patience for real.
What baffles me is that 343i spent 3 years working on this game but out of all the Halo games, this one has the least amount of content. It's missing playlists such as Infection and Oddball, it's missing Firefight/Spartan Ops, it has no daily/weekly/monthly challenges, many of the maps are just remixes and forge creations, and tons of the game assets are re-used (the home base, the armoury, and the garage in Warzone, and other things like the skybox in Eden/Empire).
THANK YOU. I have stated this many times and had my -yoink- chewed out. By fans. I'm convinced they don't care, because so many stop playing after a few days. It was all about the sales
I'm pretty sure 343i is working on the issue right now and that they will get back to us asap. You guys need to learn some patience for real.
Patience?
you mean like the patience we gave them to fix the MCC?
Oh wait.....it's not fixed yet a year later
I acutlly have a sneeking suspision that they are working on halo 6 right now and they are going to release it as easly as this xmas or summer next year. The mp and warzone are just a foundation that will be built apon over time so the release of another halo so early wont effect the mp as the mp wont change at its core it will just exspand and add more features. Its also why i feel they chose to do the story for h5 the way they did, and end it how they did, as the story now has a story that gets its continuation alot faster than we have gotten in the past.
Also i remember 343i saying that this isnt a trilogy anymore, its just a continuation of games to push on the halo universe every time. With that in mind , again it would make more sence if games came out at a faster rate. Then you also have the fact that microsoft need games out faster to help improve there sales for xbox one. They cant be having only 2 halo games come out this console cycle anymore.
Well thats my theory anyway.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. 12
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. ...
  9. 15