2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Nooga wrote:
BadDogg55 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
How are players in castle wars lunging sooo far after being hit ?
Smart Scope.
The trick I'd use every time I play. Most players don't know about the extreme lunge range of the energy sword with Smart Scope, so they can't counter it.
Thanks for the tip. I actually never thought about using smart scope with the sword.. Does it work with the hammer also?
It does and its amazing. Im honestly shocked that people dont know this though.
Only with some Grav Hammers. I think the one on Ecumene Sanctum doesn't have any lunge range at all, and if it does, it's very close.
Delta5931 wrote:
Nooga wrote:
BadDogg55 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
How are players in castle wars lunging sooo far after being hit ?
Smart Scope.
The trick I'd use every time I play. Most players don't know about the extreme lunge range of the energy sword with Smart Scope, so they can't counter it.
Thanks for the tip. I actually never thought about using smart scope with the sword.. Does it work with the hammer also?
It does and its amazing. Im honestly shocked that people dont know this though.
Only with some Grav Hammers. I think the one on Ecumene Sanctum doesn't have any lunge range at all, and if it does, it's very close.
Like I said previously, it never really crossed my mind to try it with a sword or a hammer. I thought it was for scopes only... I couldn't figure out how they were lunging at that incredible of a range. I tried thrusting but no banana... lol.
They use smart-link.
Nooga wrote:
For the record, 343, this is the kind of thing that frustrates and annoys legacy players.
Ive been playing Halo since 2001 so i guess this makes me a "legacy player". Halo 5 imo has the best MP in the series and this mechanic doesnt bother me in the slightest. Please dont speak for me. K thanks.

I've been in castle wars a handful of times, and I've been killed by people doing this, only of course I didn't know that it was a thing
This sounds more like a you problem than a 343 problem. You have around 22 days of gametime in Halo 5 multiplayer and youre just now finding out about a mechanic that nearly everone else has known from day one? How the hell is that anyone elses fault but your own?
First point noted.

Second point also noted, but with exception. I would encourage you, as you did me, not to speak for everyone with phrases like "everyone else has known about since day one." If you stumbled upon this mechanic by randomly attempting to scope in with a sword then my hat is off to you for discovering the most unintuitive (and nonsensical) weapon mechanic in a game that is rife with nonsense. How would anyone in their right mind think this is logical or discover it any way other than by a fluke? Was it in the notes? Did I miss class that day? Sorry, but it's exactly what I said: taking what should be a simple and fun weapon and putting a challenge on it because the people who designed Halo 5 said to themselves, "You know what's wrong with every previous Halo? They're all too easy."
Change for the sake of change. Some weapons have smart scope so therefore we need to make every weapon have smart scope even if it's absurd. I'm genuinely surprised they didn't give the turrets a zoom in ability as well.
Nooga wrote:
For the record, 343, this is the kind of thing that frustrates and annoys legacy players.
Ive been playing Halo since 2001 so i guess this makes me a "legacy player". Halo 5 imo has the best MP in the series and this mechanic doesnt bother me in the slightest. Please dont speak for me. K thanks.

I've been in castle wars a handful of times, and I've been killed by people doing this, only of course I didn't know that it was a thing
This sounds more like a you problem than a 343 problem. You have around 22 days of gametime in Halo 5 multiplayer and youre just now finding out about a mechanic that nearly everone else has known from day one? How the hell is that anyone elses fault but your own?
First point noted.

Second point also noted, but with exception. I would encourage you, as you did me, not to speak for everyone with phrases like "everyone else has known about since day one." If you stumbled upon this mechanic by randomly attempting to scope in with a sword then my hat is off to you for discovering the most unintuitive (and nonsensical) weapon mechanic in a game that is rife with nonsense. How would anyone in their right mind think this is logical or discover it any way other than by a fluke? Was it in the notes? Did I miss class that day? Sorry, but it's exactly what I said: taking what should be a simple and fun weapon and putting a challenge on it because the people who designed Halo 5 said to themselves, "You know what's wrong with every previous Halo? They're all too easy."
Don't worry your definitely not the only one who didn't know hence why I made this thread.
Nooga wrote:

First point noted.

Second point also noted, but with exception. I would encourage you, as you did me, not to speak for everyone with phrases like "everyone else has known about since day one."
I like the part where you used the part of my quote that said "everyone else has..." to make it seem like i was speaking for everyone like you actually did instead of using the full quote where i state "nearly everyone else has..." which clearly shows that i am aware that people dont know about this. Again, thats your fault not 343's.

If you stumbled upon this mechanic by randomly attempting to scope in with a sword then my hat is off to you for discovering the most unintuitive (and nonsensical) weapon mechanic in a game that is rife with nonsense.
I knew about it before the game launched actually.

How would anyone in their right mind think this is logical or discover it any way other than by a fluke?
How? With the plethora of information about the smart scope feature that released before launch. Like this article by IGN.
Was it in the notes?
Yes
Did I miss class that day?
Again, yes.

Its clear that you are trying your hardest to make someone else take the blame for you failing to notice a core game mechanic that was widely known BEFORE launch instead of just taking personal responsibility but please dont twists the words of others around in attempts to bring them down to your level. Its very classless. Have a good one. 😊

EDIT:
Don't worry your definitely not the only one who didn't know hence why I made this thread.
There is nothing wrong with that and i do understand. What i had issues with was someone trying to speak for me and for placing the blame on others. You didnt know about this mechanic so you made a post inquiring. You got an answer and learned something. People like him just need someone to blame. Its sad.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Change for the sake of change. Some weapons have smart scope so therefore we need to make every weapon have smart scope even if it's absurd. I'm genuinely surprised they didn't give the turrets a zoom in ability as well.
Or Driving with a cockpit view instead of 3rd person. Forza Horizon 3 has it, why not halo 6? I know it wouldnt work but it would be funny
Nooga wrote:

First point noted.

I'm of the opinion that 343 makes new Halo different from Bungie's Halo just for the sake of it being different.
As for the increased lunge? Certainly breaks "Muh immersion!" that a 343 employee used to justify the new movement mechanics.
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
How? With the plethora of information about the smart scope feature that released before launch. Like this article by IGN.
Its clear that you are trying your hardest to make someone else take the blame for you failing to notice a core game mechanic that was widely known BEFORE launch instead of just taking personal responsibility but please dont twists the words of others around in attempts to bring them down to your level. Its very classless. Have a good one. 😊

It is most definitely on me if I fail to realize that I need to take the IGN Halo Berlitz course in order to understand how to play a game I've been playing since 2001. But issues of personal responsibility aside, I would ask you if you think it's good game design to rely heavily on mechanics that require a player to do actual homework prior to launch? I suppose you already know what my answer is, and I'm pretty confident that I know what yours is, but I still feel the need to put the question out there for the benefit of the larger conversation.
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:

It is most definitely on me if I fail to realize that I need to take the IGN Halo Berlitz course in order to understand how to play a game I've been playing since 2001. But issues of personal responsibility aside, I would ask you if you think it's good game design to rely heavily on mechanics that require a player to do actual homework prior to launch? I suppose you already know what my answer is, and I'm pretty confident that I know what yours is, but I still feel the need to put the question out there for the benefit of the larger conversation.
How is looking at prelaunch information for a new highly anticipated games homework? Also, kudos again for taking another part of my post out of context. The IGN article i posyed was one of many examples of the information you asked about. I did mention that in my response to you if you had bothered to read it.
Try to keep in mind that im not saying, nor had previously said, that there is anything wrong with you not knowing about the mechanic. Its when you start blaming someone other than yourself for not knowing about a core game mechanic that i take issue.
Maybe i was looking forward to the game more than the average player. I read and watched everything i could about it from announcement until launch so there wasnt very much that wasnt kept entirely secret that i didnt know. Maybe its the control scheme you use. I used Bumper Jumper until Halo 5 where the vastly superior Helljumper was introduced. Using LT to aim makes it more natural to ADS with everything.
Im sure youll find a way to yet again, and most likely fail again, attempt to twist my words to fit your agenda. But it would probably be easier to just say "Well -Yoink-. I didnt know about this feature but now i do. Thanks!"
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
How is looking at prelaunch information for a new highly anticipated games homework? Also, kudos again for taking another part of my post out of context. The IGN article i posyed was one of many examples of the information you asked about. I did mention that in my response to you if you had bothered to read it.
Try to keep in mind that im not saying, nor had previously said, that there is anything wrong with you not knowing about the mechanic. Its when you start blaming someone other than yourself for not knowing about a core game mechanic that i take issue.
Maybe i was looking forward to the game more than the average player. I read and watched everything i could about it from announcement until launch so there wasnt very much that wasnt kept entirely secret that i didnt know. Maybe its the control scheme you use. I used Bumper Jumper until Halo 5 where the vastly superior Helljumper was introduced. Using LT to aim makes it more natural to ADS with everything.
Im sure youll find a way to yet again, and most likely fail again, attempt to twist my words to fit your agenda. But it would probably be easier to just say "Well -Yoink-. I didnt know about this feature but now i do. Thanks!"
Now we're getting somewhere.

I'm really not trying to blame anyone for anything here, except in the largest possible sense where I am, and have been for a long time, blaming 343 for building a game which takes a long tradition of Halo that is "simple to learn, hard to master," and makes it "hard to learn, impossible to master." Yes, I'm frustrated that it took two years for me to realize that scope-lunge was a thing, but that, as already noted if only bitterly, is my responsibility. But I still reserve the right to question the developers judgment on larger issues of game design, issues of which the scope-lunge is a fine example.

But I'm also glad you brought up the concept of control schemes because they are, by extension, another signal example of what I'm talking about. Yes, it is my responsibility if I choose not to adopt a new control scheme that allows me to play competitively, or in the case of ground pound, to execute a new mechanic at all. But it's also just plain bad judgment on the part of the developer to expect a dedicated (albeit non-competitive) player to throw away sixteen years of accumulated knowledge and muscle memory in the difficult change over to bumper-jumper or whatever the layout of the day happens to be. Responsibility: mine. Bad judgment: theirs.

Sorry for the agenda, if that's what we're calling a desire for a straight-forward and playable game.
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:

I'm really not trying to blame anyone for anything here, except in the largest possible sense where I am, and have been for a long time, blaming 343 for building a game which takes a long tradition of Halo that is "simple to learn, hard to master," and make it "hard to learn, impossible to master." Yes, I'm frustrated that it took two years for me to realize that scope-lunge was a thing, but that, as already noted if only bitterly, is my responsibility. But I still reserve the right to question the developers judgment on larger issues of game design, issues of which the scope-lunge is a fine example.

But I'm also glad you brought up the concept of control schemes because they are, by extension, another signal example of what I'm talking about. Yes, it is my responsibility if I choose not to adopt a new control scheme that allows me to play competitively, or in the case of ground pound, to execute a new mechanic at all. But it's also just plain bad judgment on the part of the developer to expect a dedicated (albeit non-competitive) player to throw away sixteen years of accumulated knowledge and muscle memory in the difficult change over to bumper-jumper or whatever the layout of the day happens to be. Responsibility: mine. Bad judgment: theirs.

Sorry for the agenda, if that's what we're calling a desire for a straight-forward and playable game.
I used Recon, which was i believe the default settings in CE please correct me if im wrong, from CE through Halo Reach. In 4 i actually used Fishstick. Not only because it closely mirrors CoD controls which i was heavily into at the time but i also appreciated the pun. In MCC i went back to the Recon i knew and loved for at least 6 months until a friend told me about the benefits of Bumper Jumper so again i switched to that through the first year or so into Halo 5. I was bored and looking through the control schemes and noticed Helljumper. A mix between the Fishstick i used in Halo 4 with the added awesomeness of Bumper Jumper? -Yoink- yes! Not a single time in my history of Halo have i ever felt like i was expected to switch to a controller setting the devs liked. If that were the case i would be using the default setting. CE being an exception because it was the first console shooter that i played with a good controller setup so why mess with a good thing. At some point i will search this website for an update or something directly from 343 before launch that states that smart scope is on every weapon because im almost sure its here. Have to be at work early or i would now.

In response to your little quip at the end there. If the game isnt playable why on earth would you sink over 3 weeks of your life into it?
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:

I'm really not trying to blame anyone for anything here, except in the largest possible sense where I am, and have been for a long time, blaming 343 for building a game which takes a long tradition of Halo that is "simple to learn, hard to master," and make it "hard to learn, impossible to master." Yes, I'm frustrated that it took two years for me to realize that scope-lunge was a thing, but that, as already noted if only bitterly, is my responsibility. But I still reserve the right to question the developers judgment on larger issues of game design, issues of which the scope-lunge is a fine example.

I used Recon, which was i believe the default settings in CE please correct me if im wrong, from CE through Halo Reach. In 4 i actually used Fishstick. Not only because it closely mirrors CoD controls which i was heavily into at the time but i also appreciated the pun. In MCC i went back to the Recon i knew and loved for at least 6 months until a friend told me about the benefits of Bumper Jumper so again i switched to that through the first year or so into Halo 5. I was bored and looking through the control schemes and noticed Helljumper. A mix between the Fishstick i used in Halo 4 with the added awesomeness of Bumper Jumper? -Yoink- yes! Not a single time in my history of Halo have i ever felt like i was expected to switch to a controller setting the devs liked. If that were the case i would be using the default setting. CE being an exception because it was the first console shooter that i played with a good controller setup so why mess with a good thing. At some point i will search this website for an update or something directly from 343 before launch that states that smart scope is on every weapon because im almost sure its here. Have to be at work early or i would now.

In response to your little quip at the end there. If the game isnt playable why on earth would you sink over 3 weeks of your life into it?
It's the most up to date Halo game out right now.
I also didn't pay roughly 300 dollars for a console to play last gen games, even if they are better.
Nooga wrote:

First point noted.

Yeah man i've been playing since CE on Windows and when i discovered this a year after launch i was pissed. A scope on the sword? Who's idea was this? Putting scopes on automatics was iffy enough but ON A SWORD? WHY?!
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:

Not three weeks, my friend. Seventeen years. And I've tried explaining to people why that kind of investment in time makes it hard to walk away from a game I don't really appreciate anymore (gameplay-wise), but it doesn't make all that much sense to me either. So there's that.

At any rate, I would have to say this on the subject of feeling compelled by the developer to switch controller set-ups: If you still used recon then you would not be able to execute a ground pound in this game. Is the ground pound an imperative for success in Halo 5? No. Does it feel like a slap in the face to this legacy player who uses recon, always has and always will? Yup. It does. Now before you start shedding tears for my sake, realize that I still accept the fact that I am capable of switching layouts and that I choose not to, and that I'm not trying to set myself up as a victim of the evil 343 Industries. What I'm saying is that good game design takes into account skill floors, skill ceilings, skill gaps, and it knows how much is reasonable to ask of players, new and legacy, and it knows how much is unreasonable to ask. In my very humble opinion, this game mis-judged everything I just listed. Every. Single. One.

I think what's really happening here is that you're a very competitive player and you have no fear of challenge. I am a very casual player who has a very low frustration threshold when it comes to challenges which make the game harder without making it more fun. I guess I'm so casual, in fact, that I would say that challenge and fun are mutually exclusive. Maybe that's the whole problem with Halo in a nutshell: it's constantly trying to please both kinds of players and it's constantly failing at least one of them. In the case of Halo 5, that would be me.

Sorry if my tone during some of this discussion has seemed like I was frustrated with you. I have been and continue to be very frustrated with 343, and sometimes that may sound as if it's directed somewhere else.
Nooga wrote:

First point noted.

Yeah man i've been playing since CE on Windows and when i discovered this a year after launch i was pissed. A scope on the sword? Who's idea was this? Putting scopes on automatics was iffy enough but ON A SWORD? WHY?!
Canon or logical sense really can't go into multiplayer because in that case...
Why do Spartans never eat? Why do they never use the bathroom? What about sickness? Why is there a square scope on a sniper rifle? I could go on with things that don't make sense and while yes I've argued that it makes sense for this to be in mp since it's futuristic before but I have stopped now that I've thought about it.
Rakunz Boi wrote:
Nooga wrote:

First point noted.

Why do Spartans never eat? Why do they never use the bathroom? What about sickness? Why is there a square scope on a sniper rifle? I could go on with things that don't make sense and while yes I've argued that it makes sense for this to be in mp since it's futuristic before but I have stopped now that I've thought about it.
Because 343 has canonized multilayer and all of this is a simulation, therefore the vast majority of your complaints are invalid (except for the box sight that doesn't have an additonal eye socket optic on the back. That's dumb, and breaks "Muh immersion!")
Trying to canonize multiplayer is a lot like trying to get a sheep to sing show tunes. It's a whole lot of effort that ultimately leads to a wasted sheep and a waste of everyone's time.
Rakunz Boi wrote:
Nooga wrote:

First point noted.

I know Spartans pee in there suits and they do eat there has been tons of references of them eating. And for sickness well they probably have amazing immune systems.
For the record, 343, this is the kind of thing that frustrates and annoys some legacy players. How is it that something like this can be a feature of the game and I'm only finding out about it two years after launch? Maybe because it shouldn't be there in the first place? Maybe because anybody who's ever used a sword before would never even think to look for a gimmick this absurd to be a part of Halo gameplay? I've been in castle wars a handful of times, and I've been killed by people doing this, only of course I didn't know that it was a thing so I jumped to the (obvious) conclusion that either they were cheating or that there was some kind of connection problem. In every instance I quit the match. Now that I know what the -yoink!- is going on I won't quit anymore. I just won't go into that idiotic playlist to begin with. Thanks, once again, for finding ways to make this game harder because nothing says "fun, casual game mode" like a steeper skill curve.
I knew about it since launch, I remember it being discussed in some early halo 5 youtube videos on popular youtube channels, I just kinda assumed that everyone knew about it. I mean I kinda got in the habit of always incorporating this mechanic whenever I use the sword.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4